Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This excellent, and very true.

One of the (many) times he came back from injury, he slotted into the midfield pivot, and kept things extraordinarily simple. Think it was in Ole's first full season. He'd receive the ball, use his first touch to create a bit of space and then move it on. Didn't try to hold it, didn't try to box out and didn't try to run far with it. And he looked bloody brilliant.

Tonight was a horror show. If he was told to play left supporting striker at the same time Bruno was playing there, he should have the damn awareness to say screw it that Ole guy is clueless, I'm going to move back into midfield myself. He was our furthest man forward numerous times, leaving poor McT with wave after wave of attacks. And he didn't change a damn thing. He's an incredibly experienced pro, he shouldn't need coaching to see what is happening when it's that obvious.
Your last paragraph is spot on in terms of the positional madness that was happening. I don't get why Ole didn't try to change that.

The United

This excellent, and very true.

One of the (many) times he came back from injury, he slotted into the midfield pivot, and kept things extraordinarily simple. Think it was in Ole's first full season. He'd receive the ball, use his first touch to create a bit of space and then move it on. Didn't try to hold it, didn't try to box out and didn't try to run far with it. And he looked bloody brilliant.

Tonight was a horror show. If he was told to play left supporting striker at the same time Bruno was playing there, he should have the damn awareness to say screw it that Ole guy is clueless, I'm going to move back into midfield myself. He was our furthest man forward numerous times, leaving poor McT with wave after wave of attacks. And he didn't change a damn thing. He's an incredibly experienced pro, he shouldn't need coaching to see what is happening when it's that obvious.
Keep it simple or something.

The United

After a long while though, what Pogba did started at kick off basically until he was subbed. McT was left on an Island and that's why it was easy for Villareal to cut through the team
Ole is trying to please him to sign the contract here. I mean it is not hard to understand I guess when we think about it.

I think he left it to see if it will fix itself or he will get away with it. But, in the 2nd half, he knew he had to do something about it. And, fixed it by subbing him.

kouroux

Ole is trying to please him to sign the contract here. I mean it is not hard to understand I guess when we think about it.

I think he left it to see if it will fix itself or he will get away with it. But, in the 2nd half, he knew he had to do something about it. And, fixed it by subbing him.
So yeah we agree, he did what he did with Ole's blessings even if it was to the team's detriment. We won luckily but that's terrible tactics for me.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Elephant in the room, just like Coutinho was for Pool. They’ll win you games here and there but ultimately they’re luxury players who you can’t rely on for 50 games per season.

He needs to leave. If losing him on a free is the only way he goes then so be it. He won’t succeed here no matter who the manager is.

chay chay okocha

Him being our front man in a press on few occasions was both funny and disturbing at the same time. I mean, it had to be an instruction. If it wasn't an instruction, our shape at times moved so much that he end up being the furthest. Not sure what's worse.
I'm sure it was a tactical instruction, particularly in the first half. It seemed clear that the instructions were for both Bruno and Pogba to get up in support of Ronaldo -- many times when our defenders have the ball and are looking for an outlet pass, both Bruno and Pogba are actually further forward than Sancho and Greenwood. Further, whenever either Bruno or Pogba dropped deep in midfield to receive it, the other would make a strong run into the last line of defence alongside Ronaldo, and a long ball would generally be aimed into the far post. Actually, I felt the better passages in the first half came from Pogba and Mctominay abandoning this general motion and actually getting deep to dictate the possession - but these seemed out of the tactical norm as the team shape was not structured for other players to receive and play quick passes.

RRCE

Pogba is obviously a talented player, and he has his moments of magic, but we’d be complete mugs to give him the kind of contract he’s likely looking for. For that kind of money, I’d expect a more complete player who performs at or near his highest level on a consistent basis. Pogba just doesn’t do that. Once he loses a step, he’ll be even less effective and harder to shoehorn into the lineup. It would sting to see him walk away for nothing, but that’s the lesser of two evils in my opinion.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Playing him with Bruno doesn't work. It just doesn't. It leaves us horrendously exposed in midfield and completely lacking balance, and they both want to do the same thing - play the killer ball, all the time. We signed Bruno to replace Pogba and fate has kept Pogba here so we've tried to shoe horn them together - but it doesn't work. The longer Ole tries to make it work, the more unlikely it is that Ole will stay long term. Sure you'll have the occasional games where they go off on opponents. But that's more to do with the opponents being mediocre, playing poorly, not pressing us well or not transitioning well. Not with us being balanced suddenly. He's a class player, as is Bruno, but there can only be one of of in long term IMO, and Bruno isn't going anywhere. The sooner Ole goes back to focusing on team balance and less on fitting everyone in, the sooner we'll get back to at least a decent level.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Hasnt anyone noticed it yet, his face icon on this thead is literally Pogchamp. Well played.

dal

He was good in the first two games of the season but returning to the norm as he always does.

Id much rather play Van de Beek as a number 8 than Pogba.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Everyone seems to to be waking up. He's got talent like I have always said but my word he is the most frustrating player. His mistake in the middle of the pitch in the 5th minute that led to their first clear chance set the tone for the night. World class footballers don't make the amount of errors he does consistently.

If we make him the highest paid player in the PL we have learned nothing. Let him go. He's nowhere near as good as he thinks he's is or as Raiola thinks he is either. Embarrassing performances the last 3 or 4 games and well and truly back to his usual self.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Talented individual

but talented individuals sometimes don’t make a team work

him and Bruno together just doesn’t work. It’s been proven time and again.

We need two cm next summer (or in January)

Andersons Dietician

I don’t think he was bad last night. There were certainly times when he was just letting people run off him but he was making loads of tremendous runs then at times really working to get back from being the furthest forward back in to a defensive position. He was doing that most of the night which surely has a tiring effect which might explain the few very lacklustre attempts to get the foot in on occasion.

I think for me though, the idea of fitting Bruno and Pogba in a midfield should be dead now. It just doesn’t work. Neither are good in possesion and Invite preasure/lose the ball often which just leaves us miscounted and exposed. You either sacrifice Shaws attacking and ask him to tuck in to cover, put Pogba on the left, or take one out of the team. Because midfield is an issue.

redshaw

With Rashford coming back he's a bit of a luxury option. We're not going to a 4-3-3 with him on a left sided midfield role so it's occasional left wing or centre midfield or fill in for Bruno if injured

Both parties are probably best off separating at the end of the season, even as good as he his at times, it's very tricky to find a spot for him to get those good moments and swap him out when you need more orthodox players. We're probably best served paying the wages for a Carrick type player who can do a range of jobs while being a good passer.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Only positive last night was his new haircut really, I was a fan of that.

Litch

Under this system, Pogs needs to be sold. I'm a big fan but he can't play in the midfield as he leaves whoever he plays next to exposed with his lack of defensive awareness. Once Bruno signed, Pogs was going to be a problem as they play in the same position.
Under another system, we could play them both but Pogs would have to be the player more advanced as it comes more natural for Bruno to track back, but you would lose some of his goals and assists.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It would've made much more sense to start Matic or even van de Beek alongside McTominay, and have a conservative but more balanced midfield, and I think Ole knows it but he's under so much pressure he'll be trying those "attacking" line-ups which leave us completely exposed in central areas, but allow us to play 5 attacking players.

Pogba will start on Saturday in midfield, I'm sure of it.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Pogba's incapability to adapt his game as a more disciplined midfielder just shows Ole's incompetent management.

I actually rate Solskjaer in some ways but, players like Pogba are big characters that require a strong personality type to bring out the best of them. Do you think if Klopp was you guy's coach he'd allow these perennial inconsistencies we keep seeing from Pogba?

Like I said in the 'poorly coaching' thread, Ole needs to build a culture that fosters accountability.

Crashoutcassius

Our annual reminder last night that we have to play two of mctom, Fred, matic if we want to have a midfield.

Still insanity that we signed Ronaldo instead of a centre mid

Leanshig

Needs benching. Doesn't fit on the left wing, doesn't work in central midfield and Bruno can't be dropped for him. No coincidence we played far better when he was taken off and Matic was brought on.

Deery

Dreary
Worst I’ve ever seen him was a real chance to stake a claim as the top midfielder but was invisible for most the game and badly exposed by Villarreal. To be fair came into for 5-10 minutes before he was taken off but we needed that from the start.

sugar_kane

Pogba's incapability to adapt his game as a more disciplined midfielder just shows Ole's incompetent management.

I actually rate Solskjaer in some ways but, players like Pogba are big characters that require a strong personality type to bring out the best of them. Do you think if Klopp was you guy's coach he'd allow these perennial inconsistencies we keep seeing from Pogba?

Like I said in the 'poorly coaching' thread, Ole needs to build a culture that fosters accountability.
If it's all Solskjaer's fault why couldn't Jose get a consistent performance out of Pogba either?

I'm sceptical about the Klopp point also, but it doesn't matter either way because Klopp would never sign Pogba precisely because he wouldn't be able to get what he needed from him

Dante

Average bang

Jose couldn't do it either.

Klopp would have sold him like he did with Coutinho.

Unfortunately, I don't think United are keen to sell one of their franchise players so Ole's hands are tied. For the Glazers, it's all about the yearly accounts and retaining high value assets (hence why the likes of Phil Jones keep getting contracts).

Mentality Monsters

Football. A simple game, made complicated by players like Pogba.

He's not a winger. He can't be trusted centrally. He wants to operate in positions that for us at least, don't or can't exist. He's an enigma, and a headache that's 5 years in the making where the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

I hope he goes, because we'll be a much better, balanced and disciplined team once we adapt without him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I started to lose faith in this forum but my word you've all finally come to your senses with Mr Pogba.

Having tremendous natural talent doesn't make you a great player. Pogba is not a great player. He has the tools to be but he doesn't want to work hard most weeks to use them. What good is that to us? Got played off the park last night by a former Watford and Spurs journeyman midfielder in Capouee.

Rather have Bruno with his feet tied together than this pretender. Just let him go. We won't even miss him.

Bestietom

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Playing him with Bruno doesn't work. It just doesn't. It leaves us horrendously exposed in midfield and completely lacking balance, and they both want to do the same thing - play the killer ball, all the time. We signed Bruno to replace Pogba and fate has kept Pogba here so we've tried to shoe horn them together - but it doesn't work. The longer Ole tries to make it work, the more unlikely it is that Ole will stay long term. Sure you'll have the occasional games where they go off on opponents. But that's more to do with the opponents being mediocre, playing poorly, not pressing us well or not transitioning well. Not with us being balanced suddenly. He's a class player, as is Bruno, but there can only be one of of in long term IMO, and Bruno isn't going anywhere. The sooner Ole goes back to focusing on team balance and less on fitting everyone in, the sooner we'll get back to at least a decent level.
I totally agree.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Pogba has been exactly the same since watching him in his u18 days. Defensive awareness and workrate is a skill like anything else, he doesn't have it and never will.

He's a tactical headache.

Born2Lose

Would have been better for us and him if his agent had sorted a switch to PSG in the summer. Perfect for him to be playing in a league where he only needs to play in 2nd gear most of the time.

He's got as much talent as Bruno or Cavani but he doesn't have half their heart or dedication. And with players like that it doesn't matter what position or system you use, there will always come a time when they let you down.

kouroux

Would have been better for us and him if his agent had sorted a switch to PSG in the summer. Perfect for him to be playing in a league where he only needs to play in 2nd gear most of the time.

He's got as much talent as Bruno or Cavani but he doesn't have half their heart or dedication. And with players like that it doesn't matter what position or system you use, there will always come a time when they let you down.
I'd say he clearly has more talent than both of them but it can only get you so far in games.

Highfather_24

We played a 4-3-3 today, but because Pogba and Bruno dont have any positional discipline, they wonder off into attacking areas and dont bother tracking back.

I have said time and time again, this is why the fawning over 4-3-3 is so stupid. It doesnt solve anything, this is not FIFA. It doesnt suit our players at all. Pogba will never be a natural CM, despite having attributes, because mentally he is not a CM. Similarly, Bruno is best as a #10, not as an #8. You can have one of them, not both. Neither of them are possession players, you need atleast one of that in your midfield.

You can have Rice, Kante, Casemiro whoever you want in the base of midfield. It wont work. Its too unbalanced. One footballer cannot physically track 2-3 players. This is why we play Fred and McT. Because they are natural CMs, not because "we dont have a single pure DM so we compensate with 2 pivots".

The Plump Poet

Supports
Southend United
Pogba is a terrific player, and may well go on to show it consistently somewhere else. But he will never, ever do so for you, and there's no point overhauling everything to try and get the best out of one player when it's been several tactical and positional tweaks umder several managers.

It's time to let go.

redmanx

With Rashford coming back he's a bit of a luxury option. We're not going to a 4-3-3 with him on a left sided midfield role so it's occasional left wing or centre midfield or fill in for Bruno if injured

Both parties are probably best off separating at the end of the season, even as good as he his at times, it's very tricky to find a spot for him to get those good moments and swap him out when you need more orthodox players. We're probably best served paying the wages for a Carrick type player who can do a range of jobs while being a good passer.
Ive been saying for years that Pogba is a luxury and one we cannot afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.