Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

One of his best games ever in Man Utd shirt. Keep it up Paul!

A-man

Amazing game. Looks perfect for him to be able to run in centrally from the side. 10/10

JustinC00

"Why are we forcing Pogba on the Left Wing" - Mark Goldbridge after the scum scored

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
To be fair he’s played much better than this but today his passes were finished which makes a huge difference.

Do assists count for Pogba? I know performances don’t.

Sylar

Need this more and more from him.

Unbelievable within a game he managed to get more assists than he did whole of last season.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
To be fair he’s played much better than this but today his passes were finished which makes a huge difference.

Do assists count for Pogba? I know performances don’t.
Exactly this, if we’re being honest - it didn’t look like he was trying very hard today at all.

Sylar

Obviously that doesnt tell the whole story, as 'chances created' would give more context, as the assist counts on the other person actually finishing it.
But still, you can see from that one game, it was brilliant from him especially some of the simple stuff.

eg he made a feck up with his step over and left footed finish. But after that, his assists were all 'simple' things which he did excellently.

pascell

Right, so who was talking shit?
I'll be honest, I said and still want him gone, one game doesn't change that.

Yeah it was a great performance but he just doesn't do it consistently enough for the circus that follows him, ie his agent and brother talking in the media, it undermines the club and that's what I don't like, no player is bigger than the club. We all know Paul is capable of producing world class performances, there's no denying that, I'm just bored of everything else that comes with him.

And as much as Pogba was world class, Leeds were shocking at the back today, an absolute dream for Pogba as the space in behind their defence was their to be exploited.

Marwood

Most if not all of his assists came from when he was central, not on the left.
Yeah first three were.

I'm just saying Souness' main problem has always been Pogba as a CM, how he plays that role. He doesn't think Pogba really understands it.

What Pogba did today(amazing) has little to do with what Souness has said in the past.

He was free of the responsibility that comes with a CM spot. Which is how it should be.

RUCK4444

Tell me again how he’s useless in this team and cannot play with Bruno?

Ffs just admit he’s class and buy a top level DM to get the most of him. Tired of preaching this for three years.

laughtersassassin

Pogba can do both. With one he requires a mobile DM to be at his best and there is no shame in that

Most numbers 8s are better beside a DM. Including the others in our squad.

Marwood

Tell me again how he’s useless in this team and cannot play with Bruno?

Ffs just admit he’s class and buy a top level DM to get the most of him. Tired of preaching this for three years.
The argument has always been it might not work with them both as an 8.

Not that they literally can't both be on the pitch.

Why can't he just play the role he did today?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
As a left sided player with no defensive duties he’s very good as seen today. One of his best game for United along with a game at Goodison which came on the left incidentally.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Yeah first three were.

I'm just saying Souness' main problem has always been Pogba as a CM, how he plays that role. He doesn't think Pogba really understands it.

What Pogba did today(amazing) has little to do with what Souness has said in the past.

He was free of the responsibility that comes with a CM spot. Which is how it should be.
I think Souness' analysis is surface level and he has shown himself to take a personal disliking to Pogba, for whatever reason.
Pogba's best performances his entire career have been when he's central, and next to midfielders who take more of a defensive burden - Souness (and many of our fans) wants Pogba to be this mythical unicorn midfielder who can still produce world class attacking play, and also be a defensive & hard working machine at the same time. I can't think of a player that fits that mould - it's unrealistic and leads to mindless narratives, that only further widen the division in our fanbase.
Running around a lot doesn't equal quality or desire, and it shouldn't overshadow the qualities he brings to the squad.

What we need is better quality midfielders, regardless of whether Pogba stays or goes.

GlasgowCeltic

I'll be honest, I said and still want him gone, one game doesn't change that.

Yeah it was a great performance but he just doesn't do it consistently enough for the circus that follows him, ie his agent and brother talking in the media, it undermines the club and that's what I don't like, no player is bigger than the club. We all know Paul is capable of producing world class performances, there's no denying that, I'm just bored of everything else that comes with him.

And as much as Pogba was world class, Leeds were shocking at the back today, an absolute dream for Pogba as the space in behind their defence was their to be exploited.
So begins the mitigation of his performance, until eventually it'll be like the performance never happened

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Obviously that doesnt tell the whole story, as 'chances created' would give more context, as the assist counts on the other person actually finishing it.
But still, you can see from that one game, it was brilliant from him especially some of the simple stuff.

eg he made a feck up with his step over and left footed finish. But after that, his assists were all 'simple' things which he did excellently.
The stepover was actually pretty smart, he got Meslier. The finish was terrible though

Sylar

The stepover was actually pretty smart, he got Meslier. The finish was terrible though
Yep, I didnt mind the stepover, he planted the keeper and created the space. The finish and execution was so bad.
But the great thing was, that was it, it was a moment rather than defining part of the match for Pogba.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I've been critical of PP regarding his desire to leave and the more poor games he has than great games but when he plays like this he is just sensational.

northernfan

Great game for Pogba today, no doubt. That is his most affective spot. Can be at his most creative with little defensive responsibilities and he will have it to himself for the next 2 months.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Such a classy player, he can do things other players can only dream of. He needs to keep this going though, he has set the bar and has to match it throughout the season.

Pearl.Jam

Simply majestic, if he leaves next year on a free then so be it, I’d rather keep him for this season than sell him now and get a inferior replacement because on his day he’s an absolute joy to watch and devastating too

MattofManchester

As a team, we were a bit sloppy in the first half, but after Leeds scored, we were brilliant and Pogba was a magnificent part of that.
His creative, offensive ability is excellent.

I agree with Scholes. In the end, I think he'll sign the contract.
But I struggle to understand how we'll form a balanced starting XI around him and Bruno once Rashford comes back.

Ah well, questions for a different day. Imperious performance today.

Robertd0803

Exactly this, if we’re being honest - it didn’t look like he was trying very hard today at all.
I dont think he needed to in a good way. Seemed to stroll through the game because Leeds couldnt deal with him.

Fantastic performance.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Daft performance. Made football look like the easiest thing in the world today.

When he plays like this he's truly unplayable.

The United

Think we were playing him and Bruno as no 10s in a sort of 4-2-2-2 formation. It worked really well in this game considering Leeds like to leave spaces behind a lot due to their game style.

Last edited:

seegoblu

I was one that thought with the right CDM, Pogba could work in a two man midfield. After today’s performance, to me, it’s clear that to really unlock Pogba he needs to be a wide playmaker up in the left…he really shines when he has much more limited defensive responsibilities.

If Ole agrees with Pogba’s best position being out on the left, I wonder how it all fits together. Sancho on the right Pogba on the left with Cavani in the middle? What happens when Rashford returns?

It does argue for a restructuring of the midfield.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Four assists. What else can you say?

Playing him on that left hand side puts a lot of onus on Shaw. Leeds attacked down that side continually and got some joy. However, the flip side is when Pogba's in this mood all the positives outweigh the negatives.

There are not many sides in the Premier League who can make Pogba on the left a bigger issue for us than it is for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.