Premier League holiday fixtures (Mon 26 Dec - Wed 4 Jan)

dakingpin1999

Haha feck you Bournemouth. How do you like it cnuts? Arsenal and Pool both feeling the effects of winter. Chelsea or Spurs tomorrow.
Chelsea to win so those retards from Liverpool won't win the league and as Utd are too many points behind from top spot

Redlyn

If form guide is anything I'm already geared to losing that. But Utd's winning run will come to an end just as Chelsea's at some point.
The winning run is not important it's the form. Meaning one draw sandwiched between 12+ victories would still be great.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Giroud robbed Xhaka of 20 seconds because Xhaka sure needed those at the end.

dbs235

Christ Palace are shit.
They actually have a good starting XI and with Allardyce taking charge you'd think they'd improve. Tonight was a massive game for them, could have been four clear from the relegation zone and now there's two teams only a point behind them.

Jerch

Liverpool game is crucial now not only for battle for top 4 but also because if we win against Liverpool we will be in worst scenario 3 points away from second place and media will have to take different view on United chances of winning a title.
It is almost impossible that we will close 10 (potential 13) points gap but tbf media will have only two options, to say that league is decided or to say that we are also back in the race. And media will not say the league ia decided in the middle of January. Chelsea will drop points in next 5 games so it is crucial that our run continues. If we can win our next 4 games we can be only 7-5 points behind Chelsea as they play Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal + tricky Leicester away game.
But if we lose, well then it is back to two horse race and we are back hunting top 4 finish.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
1-0 down after 70 mins followed by an injury time winner, no? And that was against the league leaders at the time, not some also-rans from the seaside.
That's true, but what we did at Everton and today was a bit different. However, leaving it so late against Leicester meant feck all in the end :lol:

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Big difference in doing that at Chelsea and at Bournemouth.
Almost as though the calibre of the opposition matters, right?
Of course it does! But you have to look at that result in context of the game, they were getting torn apart by Bou and their first short on target was in 70th minute when Sanchez pulled a goal back, 20 mins later Bournemouth are the ones hanging on for their dear lives and Arsenal looked likely to complete the comeback but thanks to some last ditch defending and Giroud wasting few precious seconds they held on.

Arsenal have gotten tremendous amount of shit for spitting their dummy out when they used to fall behind but this season they have salvaged 8 points in last 10 mins which is more than any other team so for that they should be given some credit.

theralyst

We've been here before under Moyes. Every time there was an opening we'd drop points. Time to see if the current squad can keep up the pace.
We've never gone on such a run under Moyes or LVG, so there's reason to be positive.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Of course it does! But you have to look at that result in context of the game, they were getting torn apart by Bou and their first short on target was in 70th minute when Sanchez pulled a goal back, 20 mins later Bournemouth are the ones hanging on for their dear lives and Arsenal looked likely to complete the comeback but thanks to some last ditch defending and Giroud wasting few precious seconds they held on.

Arsenal have gotten tremendous amount of shit for spitting their dummy out when they fell behind but this season they have salvaged 8 points in last 10 mins which is more than any other team so for that they should be given some credit.
Is that right, though? Arsenal's textbook frailties usually involve going ahead before dropping points or inexplicably crap performances against teams from the bottom half (like today). They've made loads of comebacks over the years though. Usually provoking a bunch of comments about how this means they've finally got the mentality to win the league. Which never come true.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes

Arsenal have gotten tremendous amount of shit for spitting their dummy out when they used to fall behind but this season they have salvaged 8 points in last 10 mins which is more than any other team so for that they should be given some credit.
Sure, arguments can be made either way, but from our perspective, it's vital that Arsenal (and the rest of the top 6) drop points sharpish

Djemba-Djemba

I don't understand this line of thinking at all. They've been coming back and drawing/winning games late on for atleast 3-4 years now and every hear you read about how it's a turning point and how they're much stronger mentally now but it's always the same.
This is very true.

Wenger will laud their mental strength and pundits will claim it's a sign that Arsenal have changed, but they haven't really and they'll eventually finish 4th.

Redlyn

7 from 9 from the Christmas games, think we've done well. Anyone talking like this is chatting shit:
just that the standard now is 9/9. Top 4 is a dog fight since there is a clear top 6 with not much in it.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah it's a bit of a daft statement. Positions don't mean anything in January

You had a 10 point lead on us in game week 13, it's now 5 and you come to Old Trafford at the start of a very tough 10 games.
I'm more concerned with our last nine games. Plenty of names in there that we're good at dropping points to. The tougher games are where we seem to be at our best.

Kush

Is that right, though? Arsenal's textbook frailties usually involve going ahead before dropping points or inexplicably crap performances against teams from the bottom half (like today). They've made loads of comebacks over the years though. Usually provoking a bunch of comments about how this means they've finally got the mentality to win the league. Which never come true.
Arsenal have gotten lot of criticism for not being able to respond when falling behind especially in high stakes games but I actually agree with you. They have made lots of comebacks over the years which lead to the opinion that now they are ready to win the league but it never materialized. Even tonight's comeback sums it up about their mentality, it's 3-3 and Giroud and Gabriel are celebrating with the fans instead of running towards the centre circle to go for a winner.

Sure, arguments can be made either way, but from our perspective, it's vital that Arsenal (and the rest of the top 6) drop points sharpish
Absolutely, couldn't care less if it was a great comeback or not they still dropped points and so did Liverpool. Chelsea/Spurs will drop further points tomorrow. For us Liverpool game is vital because City host Spurs a week after that and we could be very well in Top 4 after that which would give massive boost to the squad who must be frustrated seeing us stuck at sixth for a while now.

Pogue Mahone

Arsenal have gotten lot of criticism for not being able to respond when falling behind especially in high stakes games but I actually agree with you. They have made lots of comebacks over the years which lead to the opinion that now they are ready to win the league but it never materialized. Even tonight's comeback sums it up about their mentality, it's 3-3 and Giroud and Gabriel are celebrating with the fans instead of running towards the centre circle to go for a winner.

Absolutely, couldn't care less if it was a great comeback or not they still dropped points and so did Liverpool. Chelsea/Spurs will drop further points tomorrow. For us Liverpool game is vital because City host Spurs a week after that and we could be very well in Top 4 after that which would give massive boost to the squad who must be frustrated seeing us stuck at sixth for a while now.
Yeah, the Liverpool game has the feel of a season-defining fixture about it. Which is a nightmare. I'm in bits with nerves every time we play them. It's agony giving it any additional weight. And that's ignoring the fact they've actually got quite good and have made a habit of convincing victories in big games. I just want the damn thing over :(

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
We were 3-0 down at Stamford Bridge 4-5 seasons ago and we scored 3 in space of 20 mins to draw the game and it was lauded as a great comeback. So this shouldn't be any different, they were getting battered and still salvaged a point.
Really? 4-5 years ago Chelsea just won the Champions League, won the league or won the Europa league. And SB is one of the hardest grounds to visit since 2004. Not comparable to bottle-boys 10-man Bournemouth.

ti vu

Easy to be critical of Howe, but the Bournemouth players looked shattered and against an Arsenal side that dominate possession, it's only natural that Bournemouth would drop deep, albeit unwillingly.

Fitness-permitting, Bournemouth's best form of defence, would've been to attack.

EDIT: And with 10 men!
Agree. Howe is good manager. However, seem like he ventures into the one dimensional football path. There is no plan B for when plan A failed. Quite some times I noticed, Bournemouth just let it go when thing gets out of hand.

Today they did well in the first half, but used all the fuel in first half, and came out second half with empty tank still playing the same way even after went down 10 men. Fortunately, Arsenal couldn't process 2 points loss and didn't do enough for the win.

Kush

Yeah, the Liverpool game has the feel of a season-defining fixture about it. Which is a nightmare. I'm in bits with nerves every time we play them. It's agony giving it any additional weight. And that's ignoring the fact they've actually got quite good and have made a habit of convincing victories in big games. I just want the damn thing over :(
Their record is quite impressive in big games and they always seem to give little bit extra versus us but I'm quite positive about our chances against them. Anfield was a torrid and dull affair but I thought we were set up well versus their high octane hundred mile an hour game. We pressed them higher up and Herrera/Fellaini did a lot of dirty work to break up the play and most of the passage of play took place at half way line amongst their defenders and mids! With us at OT onus is on to show more attacking intent and to take them on which I am sure we will. We've got cup games in between so that should take the mind of Liverpool for a while but no doubt that game is key to our season.

Giggs86

Just watched the highlights and I must say that that thing Giroud did after scoring the equalizer is one of the most pathetic things I've seen in recent times. Worse than that infamous Moyes celebration. I'd be furious if I was an Arsenal fan. What a fecking loser.

NYAS

I don't understand this line of thinking at all. They've been coming back and drawing/winning games late on for atleast 3-4 years now and every hear you read about how it's a turning point and how they're much stronger mentally now but it's always the same.
Last night was the first time in their Premier League history that they've come back from 3-0 down to get something from a game. I'm not saying it's over and they're now mental monsters, I'm just saying experiencing that's kind of comeback will always be a help in similarly tough situations for that same season.

Are you telling me that when they're 2-0 down in any coming game this season, the players will think back to this 3-3 comeback at Bournemouth and say "ah shite, we can't do that again".

I'm not saying this will help them win titles. Just that it could help them in games they might have gone on to lose before.

Ban

Embarrassing celebration. All the other players except him and that big mouth went towards the centre and even pointed to him to stop with the celebration and get on with it.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
So Bellerin played with a knock and Chamberlain and Koscielny were in the red zone. It could have been a lot of worse in the end.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I’m sure So’ton appreciates the all 3 days of recovery during the festive period...

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
By "a lot" you mean "one point", don't you?
Sorry mate, i don't get it. Less time to recovery than Bournemouth, some players running the risk of getting injured and 3-0 down until 70th minute. A draw before the game would have been not good, now he is a bit more acceptable.

Pogue Mahone

Sorry mate, i don't get it. Less time to recovery than Bournemouth, some players running the risk of getting injured and 3-0 down until 70th minute. A draw before the game would have been not good, now he is a bit more acceptable.
You got a draw. That is literally one point better than losing. You can't talk about how a result could have been "a lot worse" when you only got one point.

And that's without even getting into how the result will more than likely leave you two points worse off than at least two of your contenders for the top four, both of whom played a tougher fixture than you. At the end of a similarly hectic schedule.

Re injuries. Isn't Coquelin out for a few weeks after an injury incurred last night?