Premier League holiday fixtures (Mon 26 Dec - Wed 4 Jan)

LouisDanGaal

Again disagree, Liverpool and Arsenal know they won't win the league, staying in the top 4 is the priority, they will be looking back and worrying about how us and Spurs are close enough to capitalise on any poor run of form.
I'm confident no team in the top four is thinking the way you are. It would be an awful mentality to have, to count yourself out half way through the season when a couple of wins off top, it literally wouldn't make sense.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Would have loved them to play against 11 men.
They did. Unless I got confused and Redmond got sent off after 57 seconds and not 57 minutes?

Fantastic performance from Danny Rose imo. He's stepped it up.
Agreed. I genuinely cannot believe the direction he has gone in over the past few seasons. 3-4 seasons ago, almost all of us wanted him sold. Now he's one of the most important players in the team. Unbelievable.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'm confident no team in the top four is thinking the way you are. It would be an awful mentality to have, to count yourself out half way through the season when a couple of wins off top, it literally wouldn't make sense.
Depending what happens at Anfield either of those sides could be right back in it if Spurs turn Chelsea over.

LouisDanGaal

Honestly something needs to be done. That was pretty fecking awful from Mike Dean. I watched several replays and still can't fathom why that's a red. Awful decision. If you didn't know better you'd think he put a bet on or something:rolleyes:
If he just came out and said something even slightly believable he would get more respect then people just second guessing his motives, in which case fans genuinely believe there is some sort of bias in play.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Good away win for Spurs, well deserved against a decent team, and which keeps us well in touch with top 4.

We've had a tougher fixture list than many, so our league position is pretty good all things considered. If we get can 4 points from the next two fixtures (away to Watford and home to Chelski), then we'll be looking good for top 4 as the season wears on.

NoLookPasser

Such a shame a refereeing decision decides another match. That was never a red. Southampton could have got something from this match with 11 men.

Do the opposition players ever get sent off when they play against United ? Since that memorable Gerrard red card, I can't recall us having played against 10 men.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Good away win for Spurs, well deserved against a decent team, and which keeps us well in touch with top 4.

We've had a tougher fixture list than many, so our league position is pretty good all things considered. If we get can 4 points from the next two fixtures (away to Watford and home to Chelski), then we'll be looking good for top 4 as the season wears on.
Seem to recall you have an easier 2nd half of the season than most of us. So yeah, looking good for Spurs.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Depending what happens at Anfield either of those sides could be right back in it if Spurs turn Chelsea over.
Hope Chelsea get their favourite ref (whomever that is) and a couple of penalty decisions and proceed to thrash them:mad:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't think it has anything to do with the top 4 really. There is a top 6 for sure. Or perhaps a 1 currently and then a 2-6 after.

I imagine all teams in that top 6 will be looking at the title as their aim. How realistic that is is obviously different for different teams but that should be the 'aim'.

But while Liverpool are only 6 behind Chelsea, they are also only 7 above 6th. That's a two game swing.

I really don't see how people are discounting any team in this race.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Oh stop this :lol:

Moby

Dick
Funny season this. Five clubs have fans who are all confident they'll get one of those three places behind Chelsea, gonna be some real tears either way come May.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
They did. Unless I got confused and Redmond got sent off after 57 seconds and not 57 minutes?

Agreed. I genuinely cannot believe the direction he has gone in over the past few seasons. 3-4 seasons ago, almost all of us wanted him sold. Now he's one of the most important players in the team. Unbelievable.
I knew he was class after some of the performances he was putting in throughout last season. He's genuinely improved so much that he looks a different player. He's become a really Assertive, confident player, the way he was bolting past some of those saints players was Roberto Carlos like. Best left back in the league by a distance.

itso 7

Arsenal literally set out to finish in the top four, nothing more.

C'est Moi Cantona

Well many people are writing off our chances of top 4 when we are closer to Arsenal than anyone is to Chelsea, and in all likelihood it's only City who will truly believe they can catch Chelsea, so for me it's a straight fight for the top 4 between any team below Chelsea, and for now Spurs keeping the pressure on is no bad thing, obviously though we need to keep on winning or it's all irrelevant.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I strongly disagree. You didn't look that good even after you equalized. Saints were controlling you well.
You disagree with what exactly? I made a factual statement, that Redmond got sent off after 57 minutes.

You would have loved us to have played against 11 men, except...we did. For 2/3 of the match.

I'm not sure if you've got your timings confused but we had already equalised and taken the lead (through Alli and Kane) before the red card. After their blitz of half an hour, Saints barely threatened again after that.

I don't think we're going to 'look' very good for much of the season tbh. I don't think we are able to play the same way we did last season because teams are much wiser to our tactics, so we're not going to play in as exciting a way. Yet we're still scoring goals, still keeping a mean defence (relatively and despite our best defender being out for a long period now) and still winning. I'll take that for sure.

ti vu

Hope Chelsea get their favourite ref (whomever that is) and a couple of penalty decisions and proceed to thrash them:mad:
Probably the best referee in the world Clattenburg and Tottenham having a field day kicking everyone, with Chelsea ends up getting fine. Sound familiar?!

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I knew he was class after some of the performances he was putting in throughout last season. He's genuinely improved so much that he looks a different player. He's become a really Assertive, confident player, the way he was bolting past some of those saints players was Roberto Carlos like. Best left back in the league by a distance.
Its an incredible transformation. I know he rubs some opposition fans up the wrong way too, which I like. And agreed re the best lb in the league. I hope he can stay fit for the season.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
You disagree with what exactly? I made a factual statement, that Redmond got sent off after 57 minutes.

You would have loved us to have played against 11 men, except...we did. For 2/3 of the match.

I'm not sure if you've got your timings confused but we had already equalised and taken the lead (through Alli and Kane) before the red card. After their blitz of half an hour, Saints barely threatened again after that.

I don't think we're going to 'look' very good for much of the season tbh. I don't think we are able to play the same way we did last season because teams are much wiser to our tactics, so we're not going to play in as exciting a way. Yet we're still scoring goals, still keeping a mean defence (relatively and despite our best defender being out for a long period now) and still winning. I'll take that for sure.
I meant that he would have more difficult for you to win so largely 11 vs. 11, as despite equalizing and having most of the ball, you didn't look great.

LouisDanGaal

I don't think it has anything to do with the top 4 really. There is a top 6 for sure. Or perhaps a 1 currently and then a 2-6 after.

I imagine all teams in that top 6 will be looking at the title as their aim. How realistic that is is obviously different for different teams but that should be the 'aim'.

But while Liverpool are only 6 behind Chelsea, they are also only 7 above 6th. That's a two game swing.

I really don't see how people are discounting any team in this race.
Top four is another target albeit a smaller one, It is a standard target as it comes with an incentive. When you weigh up a season if you're a decent club you look towards title, then the next step is top four, that's why I used the term top four because they are currently on target. When you are in that target your mentality switches to going for the title.

As united and Tottenham aren't in the top four we have a slightly different mentality as we need to get in to the top four as a base target even if ultimately everyone wants the title.

My point is though Liverpool aren't focused on what united or spurs are doing as that isn't their aim, they're all eyes on Chelsea. Spurs and United aren't looking back at west brom or everton because we have higher targets in our reach.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Probably the best referee in the world Clattenburg and Tottenham having a field day kicking everyone, and Chelsea ends up getting fine. Sound familiar?!
Sounds very familiar (sigh). Can only hope Costa has his shooting boots on and that Hazard doesn't choose that day to be lazy.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I meant that he would have more difficult for you to win so largely 11 vs. 11, as despite equalizing and having most of the ball, you didn't look great.
We didn't look great and neither did Southampton. As I've already said, we'd done more than equalise. We were in the lead by the time their player went off.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
All of the top six won. That doesn't happen often.

It's hard to see which sides will finish top four right now.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Oh stop this :lol:
Ignore the truth if you like.

Of the 9 away games Spurs have played - 7 have been against teams in the Top 11 and only one against a lower half team - Boro! We haven't played away to a bottom 6 side yet.

Not only does it mean we have got through most of our hardest away fixtures but also those teams still have to come to WHL.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Top four is another target albeit a smaller one, It is a standard target as it comes with an incentive. When you weigh up a season if you're a decent club you look towards title, then the next step is top four, that's why I used the term top four because they are currently on target. When you are in that target your mentality switches to going for the title.

As united and Tottenham aren't in the top four we have a slightly different mentality as we need to get in to the top four as a base target even if ultimately everyone wants the title.

My point is though Liverpool aren't focused on what united or spurs are doing as that isn't their aim, they're all eyes on Chelsea. Spurs and United aren't looking back at west brom or everton because we have higher targets in our reach.
Fair enough.

I just think that we're so tightly bunched up currently that while I'm sure we all have the same goal, we're all also aware of the teams around us too.

Say Man City and Arsenal lose next matchday and we win. We jump up to 3rd.

Or let's say Liverpool lose their next two and you win the next two (with a healthy swing in gd). What currently looks a big gap in terms of points and position vanishes.

Its a very close and exciting fight.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone else really enjoying those low-finish-in-the-corner goals like Son's goal? They are just so precise and controlled finishes and that's nice to see instead of a player just blasting it hoping that the ball goes in.