Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Sara125

Tbf @Sara125 is not saying the entire country is racist. Read back through the thread or look up systemic and institutionalised racism. It doesn't mean Britain is full of gun toting racist nuts, it doesn't mean we have signs that say no blacks no Irish anymore and it doesn't mean that Tommy Robinson and Katie Hopkins are in anyway representative of the British people.

It means very simply that if you are a person of colour there are far more hurdles and obstacles in the system. It means there is a glass ceiling that white people don't have to struggle with in the same way and it is in every walk of life. There's a trend of under representation in just about every public body in the UK.

For example, just look at football managers and coaches, Raheem Sterling pointed out yesterday ex players getting jobs, Lampard goes to Derby then Chelsea and Gerrard straight to Rangers versus Sol Campbell at Macclesfield and then Southend and Ashley Cole on the coaching staff for the U15s at Chelsea - why? they all played for England, all understand the game, they've all done the same coaching badges. Why was Chris Hughton the only black manager in the prem? I dont know the stats but I'd make a rough guess that about a third of players are black. Where's the representation, why don't black people get the jobs? Systemic racism is why. And it is the same in almost any industry you care to look at.

The trouble is people do not like to see their country painted like this and find it difficult to accept because they do not think they are racist themselves and look back at the 70s and 80s and see how far we've come as a nation, I understand that. And that's true we have, overt and open racism has definitely dropped since then, but systemic and institutionalised are still a massive problem. That's been a huge part of these protests and we need to recognise it in the system and in ourselves and overcome it.
God bless you!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Well it's hard for me to say as a white NI bloke who hasn't experienced it - I have however experienced some sectarianism in my life which may be comparable to some degree. To me when I think about racism it's a mixture of things - cultural bias towards one race, unconscious and conscious bias towards one group and unconscious and conscious negativity against another - lack of opportunity in certain areas which tend to contain groups - lack of jobs, poor schools - more challenging for people from certain backgrounds to get into certain careers (police, government, etc.) and positions of influence. A lack of a voice/representation probably too, the feeling that people feel that your life matters less than others. That's just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure but all I can do is imagine it and it's not a pleasant thing to do.
You're far more aware than I gave you credit for, which just causes even more confusion as to how you can acknowledge these things - but insist Britain isn't racist.
That doesn't make sense to me.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Tbf @Sara125 is not saying the entire country is racist. Read back through the thread or look up systemic and institutionalised racism. It doesn't mean Britain is full of gun toting racist nuts, it doesn't mean we have signs that say no blacks no Irish anymore and it doesn't mean that Tommy Robinson and Katie Hopkins are in anyway representative of the British people.

It means very simply that if you are a person of colour there are far more hurdles and obstacles in the system. It means there is a glass ceiling that white people don't have to struggle with in the same way and it is in every walk of life. There's a trend of under representation in just about every public body in the UK.

For example, just look at football managers and coaches, Raheem Sterling pointed out yesterday ex players getting jobs, Lampard goes to Derby then Chelsea and Gerrard straight to Rangers versus Sol Campbell at Macclesfield and then Southend and Ashley Cole on the coaching staff for the U15s at Chelsea - why? they all played for England, all understand the game, they've all done the same coaching badges. Why was Chris Hughton the only black manager in the prem? I dont know the stats but I'd make a rough guess that about a third of players are black. Where's the representation, why don't black people get the jobs? Systemic racism is why. And it is the same in almost any industry you care to look at.

The trouble is people do not like to see their country painted like this and find it difficult to accept because they do not think they are racist themselves and look back at the 70s and 80s and see how far we've come as a nation, I understand that. And that's true we have, overt and open racism has definitely dropped since then, but systemic and institutionalised are still a massive problem. That's been a huge part of these protests and we need to recognise it in the system and in ourselves and overcome it.
That's a good post and I totally get what you are saying - maybe I'm just not happy at the wording that was used - 'the UK is racist' - I can't agree with that - 'the UK's society has a problem with institutional and systemic racism' I can get behind because I'm sure it's true.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's pretty evident from the constant loop on almost every page of this thread that the concept of what the layers of racism actually are is the first thing in need of broad, educational address - I feel this is causing friction in and of itself before the subject matter even gets round to being discussed at any meaningful level with both parties feeling they are getting short shrift and not having their voices heard or acknowledged.

In such a fast-moving thread, the explanations of what systemic, implicit and institutional racism is, or looks like, is lost on the next person(s) coming into the thread and saying such and such a country is not racist and that it is wrong to paint it with such broad strokes.

Perhaps a sticky with certain posts and links to them would be of great help.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well it's hard for me to say as a white NI bloke who hasn't experienced it - I have however experienced some sectarianism in my life which may be comparable to some degree. To me when I think about racism it's a mixture of things - cultural bias towards one race, unconscious and conscious bias towards one group and unconscious and conscious negativity against another - lack of opportunity in certain areas which tend to contain particular groups of people from same background - lack of jobs, poor schools - more challenging for people from certain backgrounds to get into certain careers (police, government, etc.) and positions of influence. A lack of a voice/representation probably too, the feeling that people feel that your life matters less than others. That's just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure but all I can do is imagine it and it's not a pleasant thing to do.
And if you ask people from minorities in the UK, they will most likely mention all of these things, which was @Sara125's point. Most of what you mentioned goes under systemic racism and it applies to the UK, yesterday I was thinking about the Home office hostile environment policy, they didn't even hide their feelings when they named the policy. The policy has been rightfully criticized but the simple fact that high profile politicians and civil servants believed that it was acceptable tells you what the mentality at the top of the UK is when it comes to foreigners and minorities.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You're far more aware than I gave you credit for, which just causes even more confusion as to how you can acknowledge these things - but insist Britain isn't racist.
That doesn't make sense to me.
I just don't like statements like 'the UK is racist' - I can agree completely that certain people within the UK are racist and that the society as a whole may be intuitionally and systemically racist in many ways all of which needs to change and I hope that it will. I just don't like big statements like that because it is a cop out from actually saying what you really mean.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It's pretty evident from the constant loop on almost every page of this thread that the concept of what the layers of racism actually are is the first thing in need of broad, educational address - I feel this is causing friction in and of itself before the subject matter even gets round to being discussed at any meaningful level with both parties feeling they are getting short shrift and not having their voices heard or acknowledged.

In such a fast-moving thread, the explanations of what systemic, implicit and institutional racism is, or looks like, is lost on the next person(s) coming into the thread and saying such and such a country is not racist and that it is wrong to paint it with such broad strokes.

Perhaps a sticky with certain posts and links to them would be of great help.
Apologies I maybe should have explored the thread a bit more before jumping in.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
And if you ask people from minorities in the UK, they will most likely mention all of these things, which was @Sara125's point. Most of what you mentioned goes under systemic racism and it applies to the UK, yesterday I was thinking about the Home office hostile environment policy, they didn't even hide their feelings when they named the policy. The policy has been rightfully criticized but the simple fact that high profile politicians and civil servants believed that it was acceptable tells you what the mentality at the top of the UK is when it comes to foreigners and minorities.
Yeah I agree - if you talk to my Catholic brothers and sisters here in NI they will give you many examples throughout their lives when they have felt oppressed. I'm a prod which essentially makes me the ultimate white bloke and the worst possible person to talk about racism or oppression in any form because generally I've been fortunate enough to not experience it. I listen though and have some wonderful friends who are 'themuns' and I hate any sort of oppression or injustice but I also have to acknowledge that I can never really know what it means and although I can empathise and support their movements against it I remain part of the problem in some way.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I just don't like statements like 'the UK is racist' - I can agree completely that certain people within the UK are racist and that the society as a whole may be intuitionally and systemically racist in many ways all of which needs to change and I hope that it will. I just don't like big statements like that because it is a cop out from actually saying what you really mean.
I think it's only seen as a cop out because there's a lack of understanding as to what racism is - the likes of Katie Hopkins/Stephen Yaxley/Daily Mail etc co-opt these statements and use propaganda to deter from the actual issue. Plus there's a discomfort in criticising a country/society you're born in to.
That's fair and understandable, but at some point if Britain truly isn't racist, there really shouldn't be an issue discussing race.

Nobody enjoys talking about racism, but it's far more comfortable talking about it, learning about it and trying to shape it - than having to experience it. The more open we are to dialog and uncomfortable discussions, the more inclusive we truly become.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think it's only seen as a cop out because there's a lack of understanding as to what racism is - the likes of Katie Hopkins/Stephen Yaxley/Daily Mail etc co-opt these statements and use propaganda to deter from the actual issue. Plus there's a discomfort in criticising a country/society you're born in to.
That's fair and understandable, but at some point if Britain truly isn't racist, there really shouldn't be an issue discussing race.

Nobody enjoys talking about racism, but it's far more comfortable talking about it, learning about it and trying to shape it - than having to experience it. The more open we are to dialog and uncomfortable discussions, the more inclusive we truly become.
Without a doubt.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Apologies I maybe should have explored the thread a bit more before jumping in.
There's no need to apologise for anything - like I said, if you don't keep up with this thread, you can miss literal pages of posts, and within those, filtering out the whataboutisms, squabbles and so forth, a number of quality, extensive posts that provide insight and answer questions, or counter statements that are repeating on themselves.

That's probably why a reference sticky note of some of those posts could be helpful.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
For me that statement is a valid one where the majority or leading government of the day which is undoubtedly racist has been democratically elected. Governments which openly practice racist rhetoric, want to maintain the status quo and enable institutional racism. Likewise in the USA.

For me what these blanket statements achieve is giving a wake up call to the minority who are not racist that they are just that, a minority and therefore a lot of work has to be done for anti-racism to be the norm.

I don't think anyone in the 90's would have said the UK is racist but right now I would say the country is more racist than it is anti-racist on the whole. You could say that is unfair and harsh but unless the country proves itself otherwise through its leadership choices for example, the presumption has not been rebutted.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah I agree - if you talk to my Catholic brothers and sisters here in NI they will give you many examples throughout their lives when they have felt oppressed. I'm a prod which essentially makes me the ultimate white bloke and the worst possible person to talk about racism or oppression in any form because generally I've been fortunate enough to not experience it. I listen though and have some wonderful friends who are 'themuns' and I hate any sort of oppression or injustice but I also have to acknowledge that I can never really know what it means and although I can empathise and support their movements against it I remain part of the problem in some way.
You are not and it's not a good thing to see things negatively like that, that's how one ends up being too defensive when the question of racism is raised. You are part of the solution by contributing to an inclusive society and help educate your relatives and kids, that's the only thing that society can and should expect from you and everybody else on all social issues.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
God bless you!
Don’t worry in a couple of pages someone will have to explain it again!

But in a positive light this is what all this is about, huge swathes of the population in the UK and USA and other countries have been completely unaware or only vaguely aware of this as it doesn’t affect them. That’s changing now and the whole rigged system is being exposed to more and more people. That can only be a good thing.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You are not and it's not a good thing to see things negatively like that, that's how one ends up being too defensive when the question of racism is raised. You are part of the solution by contributing to an inclusive society and help educate your relatives and kids, that's the only thing that society can and should expect from you and everybody else on all social issues.
That is a nice thought thanks. I can certainly try my best.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I think you need to answer for this @TheReligion . What are your boys playing at?

Sorry it's a little tangential but I couldn't find a better thread for it.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I appreciate your willingness to learn and be open, rather than get defensive about the situation :)
I've no problem with that - what I dislike sometimes is that if somebody says they don't like or agree with a certain part of a discussion then people all jump on you assuming you are against everything - people can disagree on certain things but still broadly agree on most things - the really important things.

neverdie

I think we can save a lot of time if we just acknowledge that every country, even those most homogenous and monolithic of countries, is racist to some degree in that they possess racist undertones and rhetoric.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I've no problem with that - what I dislike sometimes is that if somebody says they don't like or agree with a certain part of a discussion then people all jump on you assuming you are against everything - people can disagree on certain things but still broadly agree on most things - the really important things.
I have no problem discussing opinions with people who I don’t agree with.
The existence of racism isn’t an opinion however, that’s what I can’t tolerate.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I have no problem discussing opinions with people who I don’t agree with.
The existence of racism isn’t an opinion however, that’s what I can’t tolerate.
I don't think anybody is trying to argue that racism doesn't exist.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There are 2 types of racism (as a country) to me

1. The one where they stipulate in the constitution (or existing law) a discriminatory treatment for a certain race (e.g. Malaysian Bumiputera preferences, where Malay have certain benefits compared to Chinese/Indians)
2. The one where the racist discriminatory is only in practice, but nowhere in the law. (e.g. Indonesian treatment of Chinese minorities). The rules are one for all but the application in the real life differs)

I believe Americans falls in the 2nd one

And for what it's worth I don't think a country can be racist just because of some of their citizens are racist, I'd never say American as a racist country, but I'd no problem saying American are rife with racist people. The american justice system isn't racist, but the individual in their justice system is racist. There's no rule in the cop book to detain / torture / target black minorities but the application on the street is very different.

Number 1 is very easy to fix, simply abolishing the preferential treatment will sort things out, but number 2 is harder to erase as it's harder to actually prove.

Maticmaker

I just don't like statements like 'the UK is racist' -
I can understand that view, but in the UK racism exists, as it does in every country I have visited in my lifetime. Although can't say I've travelled all over the world, I have travelled extensively in Europe, in North America and the Middle East and everywhere I've been I have come across racism in and between various ethnic and racial groups. From almost fairly benign "I'm better than you" type encounters, to institutional and systemic racism perpetrated daily.

I don't know what we can do about eradicating it completely, when every single person, is or has the potential for racism within them. I don't believe those who say they haven't a racist bone in their body, or words to that effect. Politicians of course realize that racist tendencies are present in everyone and they can play one off against another, as they do with social groups, and as we've seen many times this 'political trick' works, almost every time, either as a distraction or to undermine opponents.

What does worry me as a 70+ year old is the constant harping back, be it either for some who yearn for the so called 'sun-lit uplands' of the past to return, or for some that seem to believe the present needs to be punished for the sins of the past. There is so much pain and inequality still occurring which has a basis in racism; take slavery, that is the modern-day version, where very young children work in 'sweat shops' all over the world to eke out a living and to provide cheap clothing for those usually in better off countries. I wonder how many of those protesting this weekend were wearing such 'tainted' goods?

The current mood has been sparked by what has happened in America, but as many have pointed out such actions can and have occurred all over the world and not just in western countries. Frontline Policing anywhere is a dangerous job and should be undertaken only by those who meet the highest standards of humanity and personal restraint and commitment and who have undertaken vigorous training and testing. Unfortunately Frontline Policing (in particular) as with some other occupations identified under the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic are not properly personally protected, trained, or necessarily paid according to the service they provide, or should provide, for the public.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I can understand that view, but in the UK racism exists, as it does in every country I have visited in my lifetime. Although can't say I've travelled all over the world, I have travelled extensively in Europe, in North America and the Middle East and everywhere I've been I have come across racism in and between various ethnic and racial groups. From almost fairly benign "I'm better than you" type encounters, to institutional and systemic racism perpetrated daily.

I don't know what we can do about eradicating it completely, when every single person, is or has the potential for racism within them. I don't believe those who say they haven't a racist bone in their body, or words to that effect. Politicians of course realize that racist tendencies are present in everyone and they can play one off against another, as they do with social groups, and as we've seen many times this 'political trick' works, almost every time, either as a distraction or to undermine opponents.

What does worry me as a 70+ year old is the constant harping back, be it either for some who yearn for the so called 'sun-lit uplands' of the past to return, or for some that seem to believe the present needs to be punished for the sins of the past. There is so much pain and inequality still occurring which has a basis in racism; take slavery, that is the modern-day version, where very young children work in 'sweat shops' all over the world to eke out a living and to provide cheap clothing for those usually in better off countries. I wonder how many of those protesting this weekend were wearing such 'tainted' goods?

The current mood has been sparked by what has happened in America, but as many have pointed out such actions can and have occurred all over the world and not just in western countries. Frontline Policing anywhere is a dangerous job and should be undertaken only by those who meet the highest standards of humanity and personal restraint and commitment and who have undertaken vigorous training and testing. Unfortunately Frontline Policing (in particular) as with some other occupations identified under the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic are not properly personally protected, trained, or necessarily paid according to the service they provide, or should provide, for the public.
Is it though? America and other hot zone apart most policing in "normal" country is mundane job.

The risk factor of a cop dying in the job is relatively very small in Indonesia (Unless you're the army in a separatist operational area, which is technically a warzone), even in UK/Sweden/China/Japan/Singapore/Malaysia/Vietnam etc I don't think being a cop is a risky business out there

Maticmaker

Is it though? America and other hot zone apart most policing in "normal" country is mundane job.

The risk factor of a cop dying in the job is relatively very small in Indonesia (Unless you're the army in a separatist operational area, which is technically a warzone), even in UK/Sweden/China/Japan/Singapore/Malaysia/Vietnam etc I don't think being a cop is a risky business out there
I was referring to 'frontline policing' as with face to face with demonstrators where the potential for 'flare ups' occur and/or confronting criminals caught in the act.
I remember reading about a New York cop who summed up his life as a cop by saying " somedays you walk the streets, its sunny and its quiet and you think this is an easy job, the next minute a drug-crazed 18 year old sticks a shot-gun under your nose.... and you earn every cent of your salary!"

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It’s a big old dead cat designed to make the people angry at the ‘left’.

Ultimately they want us talking about a stupid statue and not 60k dead/brexit about to bum us all.
Yep, I think you're right. I should've realised.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Super funny video of the police getting assaulted and everyone mocking him. He should have just shot or tasered the suspect, I’m sure that would please everyone.

DVG7

Quality control
Instead of closing the thread, people should probably just debate a bit more constructively, especially given that everyone already knows its an emotionally charged subject.
The art of respecting an opinion has been completely lost in this thread, which is baffling given that I don't think any of the messages in this thread will accomplish anything other than adding to the websites overall post count. The point scoring going on by several posters is quite sad to see in all honesty.

One thing that is absolutely certain from this thread is that the moderation and scout team needs an overhaul. There are far too many posters with "status" who are being hypocrites both in the things they say themselves and the things they pull others up on. There are several staff members whose comments in other parts of this forum render their opinion in this thread obsolete. They are acting like cnuts, for warrant of a better phrase.

Treat others the way you expect to be treated. It's not perfect, but it's as all encompassing a statement as one can expect in the current climate.

I have read some of the most well articulated posts in the history of this forum in this thread, and also some of the most blatant disregard for other peoples opinions I've ever seen. I suppose it highlights the complexity of the situation, but I wish people would air on the side of respect more often. Our posts will almost certainly change nothing, after all.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Super funny video of the police getting assaulted and everyone mocking him. He should have just shot or tasered the suspect, I’m sure that would please everyone.
Behave yourself. It's hilarious. :lol:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
All that is bullshit because even the best meaning police departments kill innocent black people and are a vital cog of the prison industrial complex. Good people can still work harm in a fecked up system. And given that system has been brutal for over 100 years it's too late to say let's refurbish it. Tear the bitch down and let's start over, with the first aim of community service and actually protecting the public, not terrorizing it

And also, yes, too much money is spent on police to the detriment of other public services.
The judicial system plays a huge role. We've had judges convicted for accepting bribes to incarcerating juveniles for cash kickbacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Greylord
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Silver_Shovel

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I think you need to answer for this @TheReligion . What are your boys playing at?

Sorry it's a little tangential but I couldn't find a better thread for it.
Maybe it’s my sense of humour but I don’t find resisting arrest and assault on a police officer funny.