Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Wow that is insane. John Oliver did a show about that 'network'. They're basically a state run news channel that absolutely lick Trumps hole and of course are now being given more and more freedom and platform through him.
For those that missed it:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's this new far left movement going on now in society. Lots of social justice warriors if you don't say the politically "right" things all the time. For the record I'm on the left, but each year starting move towards the other side because of how this new far left is forming.
This sounds like lazy bollocks to me.

If you're left but easily swayed by some new ideas that you become right then you're never on one side to begin with.

Sounds like you've stopped challenging yourself to stay educated and you're now set in your ways, which means you're just angry at perceived political correctness which is bollocks in itself.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I know there's a lot of competition but I think this is probably the most ridiculous tweet Trump has composed:

Are his supporters buying this gibberish?
I said it in the Trump thread, but I honestly think that might be his most shocking tweet yet. He's had some truly pathetic, despicable and dangerous tweets, but this is tantamount to putting a hit out on an old man who was the victim of police brutality. Someone is going to try to kill that old man for being a cultural-marxist antifa member.

This sounds like lazy bollocks to me.

If you're left but easily swayed by some new ideas that you become right then you're never on one side to begin with.

Sounds like you've stopped challenging yourself to stay educated and you're now set in your ways, which means you're just angry at perceived political correctness which is bollocks in itself.
This is 100% spot on analysis.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
What do you think will happen to crime rates if funds are cut?

Innocent people are going to die in substantial numbers.

I know it’s cool to hate the police right now, but the fact of the matter is we need law and order.

The majority of police do a fantastic job.
Either stay the same or go down.

You have to understand its an opportunity cost. Look at what Olly posted. All that money to LAPD is a massive waste that doesn't reduce crime. Taking some (not all) of that money and investing into communities would do a helluva lot more to actually reduce crime than buying the LAPD a bunch of military grade toys.

And the prison-state absolutely has to be defunded. Get rid of privatized prisons with misaligned incentives, depower the police and prison guard unions and refocus efforts and funds into the community and you'll see crime go down much quicker than wasting money on militarized police.

"The disconnect between police funding and crime rates is a sign of the need to reform the system, advocates say. “It doesn’t make sense that the NYPD budget increases year over year,” says Jennvine Wong, staff attorney at the Legal Aid Society’s Cop Accountability Project in New York City. "
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...cing-budget-has-nearly-tripled-to-115-billion

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I can never work out if all the military bollox is paid for by PD budget that could be used in other areas, or the army palming off stuff they don’t need any more for free?

If the former, then that has to be the most stupid wastes of money ever.
Not sure which military things you’re referring to. Yes things like the big bearcat vehicles are unnecessary and expensive, at least for smaller departments to have. The only military equipment we personally get are things like bleed/first-aid kits, trauma kits, and tourniquets.

Virgil

[
I can understand that view, but in the UK racism exists, as it does in every country I have visited in my lifetime. Although can't say I've travelled all over the world, I have travelled extensively in Europe, in North America and the Middle East and everywhere I've been I have come across racism in and between various ethnic and racial groups. From almost fairly benign "I'm better than you" type encounters, to institutional and systemic racism perpetrated daily.

I don't know what we can do about eradicating it completely, when every single person, is or has the potential for racism within them. I don't believe those who say they haven't a racist bone in their body, or words to that effect. Politicians of course realize that racist tendencies are present in everyone and they can play one off against another, as they do with social groups, and as we've seen many times this 'political trick' works, almost every time, either as a distraction or to undermine opponents.

What does worry me as a 70+ year old is the constant harping back, be it either for some who yearn for the so called 'sun-lit uplands' of the past to return, or for some that seem to believe the present needs to be punished for the sins of the past. There is so much pain and inequality still occurring which has a basis in racism; take slavery, that is the modern-day version, where very young children work in 'sweat shops' all over the world to eke out a living and to provide cheap clothing for those usually in better off countries. I wonder how many of those protesting this weekend were wearing such 'tainted' goods?

The current mood has been sparked by what has happened in America, but as many have pointed out such actions can and have occurred all over the world and not just in western countries. Frontline Policing anywhere is a dangerous job and should be undertaken only by those who meet the highest standards of humanity and personal restraint and commitment and who have undertaken vigorous training and testing. Unfortunately Frontline Policing (in particular) as with some other occupations identified under the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic are not properly personally protected, trained, or necessarily paid according to the service they provide, or should provide, for the public.

The art of respecting an opinion has been completely lost in this thread, which is baffling given that I don't think any of the messages in this thread will accomplish anything other than adding to the websites overall post count. The point scoring going on by several posters is quite sad to see in all honesty.

One thing that is absolutely certain from this thread is that the moderation and scout team needs an overhaul. There are far too many posters with "status" who are being hypocrites both in the things they say themselves and the things they pull others up on. There are several staff members whose comments in other parts of this forum render their opinion in this thread obsolete. They are acting like cnuts, for warrant of a better phrase.

Treat others the way you expect to be treated. It's not perfect, but it's as all encompassing a statement as one can expect in the current climate.

I have read some of the most well articulated posts in the history of this forum in this thread, and also some of the most blatant disregard for other peoples opinions I've ever seen. I suppose it highlights the complexity of the situation, but I wish people would air on the side of respect more often. Our posts will almost certainly change nothing, after all.
Two excellent posts. A credit to the caf

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dunno if it's been posted already

PS: why the feck am i getting a vote-Trump ad on this page???? Like seriously wtf?!??!

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Read up on the power that Police Unions have in many US spots. It’s horrifying.

The Police do not need to be a military unit. They have levels of equipment than many small first world countries don’t have within their militaries.

The term ‘Defund the Police’ doesn’t equal “Get rid of all Police”.

Reform will only occur when budgets shrink.

It blows me away when you see the level of armament in US second-cities. Every state seems to own oodles of military grade vehicles that would cost in order of $250k apiece.
Police unions are in the position they are because they benefit from “left” labor laws and practices, and at the same time being largely supported by right-leaning citizens and those in power.

I’m glad you differentiated “defund” and “dismantle” police departments. I don’t mind defunding depending on what exactly gets cut, or whatever needs to be re-examined. Although true “reform” will actually cost MORE money.
Dismantling is just not going to happen, at least not nation-wide. It might come down to each individual city’s decision on what to do with their LE. Have to keep in mind that this country is still very divided. Even though most on the Caf are supportive of defund and/or dismantle, there are many cities that don’t agree and are supportive of their police.

I think the MRAPs were determined to be crap because they couldn't protect from IEDs so the DoD tried to flog them to US PDs to get some money back.
It was more that they were so top heavy they could tip over going in a straight line. Now the wars are almost over a lot are being flogged to overseas militaries as well as the police.

20 years ago police uniforms were simple and unthreatening. Now they look like they're going to war. No wonder people are more wary of them.

TheReligion

Abusive
I think you need to answer for this @TheReligion . What are your boys playing at?

Sorry it's a little tangential but I couldn't find a better thread for it.
Even when sped up 50%, it still wouldn't look dynamic.
"Ee went that way,ya drip" :lol:
Behave yourself. It's hilarious. :lol:
You gullible bunch!

Apparently it’s fake.
He knows ;)

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Police unions are in the position they are because they benefit from “left” labor laws and practices, and at the same time being largely supported by right-leaning citizens and those in power.

I’m glad you differentiated “defund” and “dismantle” police departments. I don’t mind defunding depending on what exactly gets cut, or whatever needs to be re-examined. Although true “reform” will actually cost MORE money.
Dismantling is just not going to happen, at least not nation-wide. It might come down to each individual city’s decision on what to do with their LE. Have to keep in mind that this country is still very divided. Even though most on the Caf are supportive of defund and/or dismantle, there are many cities that don’t agree and are supportive of their police.
From the outside looking in I hope to be objective.

Unions are a good thing. Collective bargaining for common good is valuable.

Creating a wall around a union that is negatively impacting society as a whole, is wrong.

Reform will not cost more than the current levels of spending. Your police forces cost insane amounts of money and are designed around the wrong platform.

entropy

Dunno if it's been posted already

Samuel’s work is great and has some really useful data. But he and the likes of Deray have been getting a lot of shit for their recent proposals. And rightly so. He is still looking to reform or mitigate the disaster that policing is in this country. I think people like Mariame Kaba, Ruth Gilmore Wilson, Alex Vitale are the ones who have this issue figured out for a long time. Defunding the police aka abolishment movement has been around since the 70s. It isn’t new or radical like how some folks react to it. It is just long overdue. I really hope people embrace it instead of the mean tested BS that will be touted by every Tom, dick and Harry moving forward.

ChaddyP

Having read this. And other articles I have started to actually imagine what life would be without any police. After I get over the initial shock of the idea, it starts to play out differently in my head. I start to wonder, why do we really need police. Its an interesting conversation and would definitely love to see even more research on the idea. But actually changing the role of police in the meantime seems a very realistic prospect of packaged properly

Smores

Why am i seeing tons of Americans boycotting sports because their spokespersons dare say they're anti-racism? Are these people just openly saying they're for racism now?

Gibb11

The BBC have coined a new term for racists.
Its been coming this, it's such a dangerous path to go on.. if your not seen saying or to be seen supporting 'black lives matter' movement you are deemed as a racist. This is the natural path and logic to follow. It's truly simplistic and absurd.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm convinced a lot of them are bots/people paid to react like that.

Some are real though are they're just dumb as shit. What are they going to do with their lives after they boycott basically every company?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Its been coming this, it's such a dangerous path to go on.. if your not seen saying or to be seen supporting 'black lives matter' movement you are seen as a racist. This is the natural path and logic to follow.
Do you support it? And if not why not?

Also literally all Yorkshire tea said was they're against racism and these people shat themselves with anger.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Having read this. And other articles I have started to actually imagine what life would be without any police. After I get over the initial shock of the idea, it starts to play out differently in my head. I start to wonder, why do we really need police. Its an interesting conversation and would definitely love to see even more research on the idea. But actually changing the role of police in the meantime seems a very realistic prospect of packaged properly
No police? Are you for real? Do you honestly think that criminals and murderers will just start behaving themselves if police disappear?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why am i seeing tons of Americans boycotting sports because their spokespersons dare say they're anti-racism? Are these people just openly saying they're for racism now?

It’s all part of this stupid online culture war. Most people who spend a lot of time immersed in social media end up feeling they have to pick a ‘team’. And stick with that team no matter what. Even when it’s backed itself into a blatantly racist corner.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Samuel’s work is great and has some really useful data. But he and the likes of Deray have been getting a lot of shit for their recent proposals. And rightly so. He is still looking to reform or mitigate the disaster that policing is in this country. I think people like Mariame Kaba, Ruth Gilmore Wilson, Alex Vitale are the ones who have this issue figured out for a long time. Defunding the police aka abolishment movement has been around since the 70s. It isn’t new or radical like how some folks react to it. It is just long overdue. I really hope people embrace it instead of the mean tested BS that will be touted by every Tom, dick and Harry moving forward.
Yeah I'm a data oriented guy myself so I appreciate his analysis of what can be done now in the current system to reduce deaths. But I also see the other side's point that reform is not what's needed.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Its been coming this, it's such a dangerous path to go on.. if your not seen saying or to be seen supporting 'black lives matter' movement you are deemed as a racist. This is the natural path and logic to follow. It's truly simplistic and absurd.
Also these people haven't 'not been seen saying or supporting BLM', they are actively against it.

So then you think, why are these people actively against a movement that is asking for black people to be treated equally and not be killed on the streets by police officers? Did these same people express outrage when white people were storming parliament buildings armed to the teeth? Likely not.

I've seen people online and even on my own Facebook who have posted more about looting and the statue than they have about actual people being murdered. That person on my facebook (my uncle) I will no longer speak to.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
From the outside looking in I hope to be objective.

Unions are a good thing. Collective bargaining for common good is valuable.

Creating a wall around a union that is negatively impacting society as a whole, is wrong.

Reform will not cost more than the current levels of spending. Your police forces cost insane amounts of money and are designed around the wrong platform.
What type of reform? If it’s things like training, whether it’s extending academy hours, or continuous mandated in-house training, or revamping the field training programs, it costs more money.
If it’s the “vetting” or improving the recruiting and hiring process, again that’s more staff and more hours dedicated to recruiting, testing, interviewing, and screening each applicant, which also costs money.
If it’s the oversight of critical police incidents (civilian or otherwise), to be honest i don’t know too much about it but I imagine it costs money to have an outside independent agency investigate and decide any discipline.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I know a lot of football lads (Millwall, West Ham, Chelsea) and it’s going to be a blood bath if the protestors start smashing up monuments in London again at the weekend.

This all needs to calm down otherwise it’s going to get really ugly :(

UnrelatedPsuedo

What type of reform? If it’s things like training, whether it’s extending academy hours, or continuous mandated in-house training, or revamping the field training programs, it costs more money.
If it’s the “vetting” or improving the recruiting and hiring process, again that’s more staff and more hours dedicated to recruiting, testing, interviewing, and screening each applicant, which also costs money.
If it’s the oversight of critical police incidents (civilian or otherwise), to be honest i don’t know too much about it but I imagine it costs money to have an outside independent agency investigate and decide any discipline.
They don’t continue spending what they do now, and then add the above on top. Police forces in America have insane budgets.

You stop doing things that are built on a fear and escalation model.

You start doing things that are built on a community and descalation model.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I know a lot of football lads (Millwall, West Ham, Chelsea) and it’s going to be a blood bath if the protestors start smashing up monuments in London again at the weekend.

This all needs to calm down otherwise it’s going to get really ugly :(
What monuments were smashed up?

Also : You’ve got some garbage friends by the sounds of it.

Amarsdd

come on! at least read the article before you comment on it.

ChaddyP

No police? Are you for real? Do you honestly think that criminals and murderers will just start behaving themselves if police disappear?
No. I don't. Don't get me wrong it's a fairy tale idea. But when you think about it what do they do. Like what do they really do. Where I live, I've never actually seen an officer stop a crime. They usually come in after the fact :lol:. My city is currently under a 2 year state of emergency with the military deployed and people are still dying in broad day light. Most effective thing the police do is issue traffic violations.

Having certain agencies to deal with actual issues people have could be a better way to go forward than have a one size fits all plan. There would still be people that investigate crimes, people that try to solve rape cases etc. It's just a thought. But it doesn't seem as farfetched as I once thought.

I used to think it was crazy for police to not be issued guns till I saw that this is exactly what's done in UK. Blew my mind.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
They don’t continue spending what they do now, and then add the above on top. Police forces in America have insane budgets.

You stop doing things that are built on a fear and escalation model.

You start doing things that are built on a community and descalation model.
What are those things, in practice?