Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The art of respecting an opinion has been completely lost in this thread, which is baffling given that I don't think any of the messages in this thread will accomplish anything other than adding to the websites overall post count. The point scoring going on by several posters is quite sad to see in all honesty.

One thing that is absolutely certain from this thread is that the moderation and scout team needs an overhaul. There are far too many posters with "status" who are being hypocrites both in the things they say themselves and the things they pull others up on. There are several staff members whose comments in other parts of this forum render their opinion in this thread obsolete. They are acting like cnuts, for warrant of a better phrase.

Treat others the way you expect to be treated. It's not perfect, but it's as all encompassing a statement as one can expect in the current climate.

I have read some of the most well articulated posts in the history of this forum in this thread, and also some of the most blatant disregard for other peoples opinions I've ever seen. I suppose it highlights the complexity of the situation, but I wish people would air on the side of respect more often. Our posts will almost certainly change nothing, after all.
I agree with you even though I'm fully aware I'm one of the reactionary plebs who is just coming in here and trying to jam my thoughts down other people's throats. But I also think that consideration needs to be taken into account with regards to the current environment we're all living in right now. Namely; we're all going doolahlay being stuck indoors. Right now we're all living in a tinderbox of emotions because our usual escapes - hiking, pub, trips to the park and beach, football etc - are either limited or completely removed. It's also a very emotionally charged discussion to begin with.

In other words, yes I totally agree that some folk (like me) are being wankers. There's no excuse for wankerism. But (there's that word again) certain accomodations should probably be made since we're all living in strange times. Call it an amnesty if you will, or not. I don't know. I've counted the fibres in my living room rug six times this lockdown already.

Not everyone will agree with me, nobody has to anyway. I'm glad you've said what you've said though because it helps to ground the discussion a little and give people a chance to reflect on their actions.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The art of respecting an opinion has been completely lost in this thread, which is baffling given that I don't think any of the messages in this thread will accomplish anything other than adding to the websites overall post count. The point scoring going on by several posters is quite sad to see in all honesty.

One thing that is absolutely certain from this thread is that the moderation and scout team needs an overhaul. There are far too many posters with "status" who are being hypocrites both in the things they say themselves and the things they pull others up on. There are several staff members whose comments in other parts of this forum render their opinion in this thread obsolete. They are acting like cnuts, for warrant of a better phrase.

Treat others the way you expect to be treated. It's not perfect, but it's as all encompassing a statement as one can expect in the current climate.

I have read some of the most well articulated posts in the history of this forum in this thread, and also some of the most blatant disregard for other peoples opinions I've ever seen. I suppose it highlights the complexity of the situation, but I wish people would air on the side of respect more often. Our posts will almost certainly change nothing, after all.
Even our wonderful SteveJ has become serious and angry in this thread. That's the extent of damage it's done.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Even our wonderful SteveJ has become serious and angry in this thread. That's the extent of damage it's done.
I've always been volatile and stupid; it's just that people couldn't see it amongst all the bollocks I post.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I just don’t get why this would obtain any sort of support.

Cutting funding will just lead to more innocent people suffering from crime.

Reformation is what is needed.

freeurmind

weak willed

What do you do when police unions resist almost any kind of reform that would increase accountability?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

If the question was 'should the police be defunded?' then I'm not surprised few would support it.

If it was 'should the police be overhauled and funds directed to helping the communities in more direct ways' then more would support it.

Polls can be cack.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What do you do when police unions resist almost any kind of reform that would increase accountability?
What do you think will happen to crime rates if funds are cut?

Innocent people are going to die in substantial numbers.

I know it’s cool to hate the police right now, but the fact of the matter is we need law and order.

The majority of police do a fantastic job.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Read up on the power that Police Unions have in many US spots. It’s horrifying.

The Police do not need to be a military unit. They have levels of equipment than many small first world countries don’t have within their militaries.

The term ‘Defund the Police’ doesn’t equal “Get rid of all Police”.

Reform will only occur when budgets shrink.

It blows me away when you see the level of armament in US second-cities. Every state seems to own oodles of military grade vehicles that would cost in order of $250k apiece.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What do you think will happen to crime rates if funds are cut?

Innocent people are going to die in substantial numbers.

I know it’s cool to hate the police right now, but the fact of the matter is we need law and order.

You don't have much experience of US cops, do you? You can't really compare them to the UK.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
No, not in the US. I suggest you read up on the policing system over there and how it's favoured towards white supremacy and excessive force right from the top down. This isn't just a few individuals acting the grain, it's the summation of decades of discriminatory policies towards non-whites and giving the police far too much authority and power.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Read up on the power that Police Unions have in many US spots. It’s horrifying.

The Police do not need to be a military unit. They have levels of equipment than many small first world countries don’t have within their militaries.

The term ‘Defund the Police’ doesn’t equal “Get rid of all Police”.

Reform will only occur when budgets shrink.

It blows me away when you see the level of armament in US second-cities. Every state seems to own oodles of military grade vehicles that would cost in order of $250k apiece.
I can never work out if all the military bollox is paid for by PD budget that could be used in other areas, or the army palming off stuff they don’t need any more for free?

If the former, then that has to be the most stupid wastes of money ever.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I can never work out if all the military bollox is paid for by PD budget that could be used in other areas, or the army palming off stuff they don’t need any more for free?

If the former, then that has to be the most stupid wastes of money ever.
I obviously don’t know anything about American Police budgets...

But I remember around the time of Ferguson there was a story about the army asking for borrowed things back.

To me that suggests there are no freebies. But maybe Army to National Guard to Police has some kind of pooled system.

I’ve read a lot lately that vaguely totalled up spends on military grade body armour at insane volume levels. All of which is proven globally to increase the likelihood of escalating tension when deployed at gatherings. It’s all nuts

Withnail

I know there's a lot of competition but I think this is probably the most ridiculous tweet Trump has composed:

Are his supporters buying this gibberish?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I obviously don’t know anything about American Police budgets...

But I remember around the time of Ferguson there was a story about the army asking for borrowed things back.

To me that suggests there are no freebies. But maybe Army to National Guard to Police has some kind of pooled system.

I’ve read a lot lately that vaguely totalled up spends on military grade body armour at insane volume levels. All of which is proven globally to increase the likelihood of escalating tension when deployed at gatherings. It’s all nuts

I think the MRAPs were determined to be crap because they couldn't protect from IEDs so the DoD tried to flog them to US PDs to get some money back.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Its apparently a framing issue. If you say "defund", the public will reflexively think it will lead to higher crime and a general breakdown in order. If you say "reform" then you would probably have a slightly different result.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I know there's a lot of competition but I think this is probably the most ridiculous tweet Trump has composed:

What they ARE buying is that Trump is for the cops and law & order, which is a big selling point for him to his base.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What they ARE buying is that Trump is for the cops and law & order, which is a big selling point for him to his base.

Yeah Joe Biden has to play this just right or he may feck up big. We all know he'll come down on the side of the police though, it's his only option. He just needs to do it so's not to piss off the left-lefty-lefts.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

A like and a warning for the same post :lol:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

Passing crow told me the blood tasted like strawberry jam.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Wow that is insane. John Oliver did a show about that 'network'. They're basically a state run news channel that absolutely lick Trumps hole and of course are now being given more and more freedom and platform through him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't know what happens. But the system has to be changed not done away with. Tearing it down just sounds like a fancy way of describing change and reform. Throttling the existing system out of spite isn't actually going to help nor will it be allowed to happen.

That's how it is everywhere. Our politicians are terrible here, but burning down the entire system is never the answer. It's a convenient fringe element answer. Not a reasonable and constructive one. Of course sometimes a jarring message which isn't practically proposed but intended to alarm, can work, but it can also be taken as the genuine view and reduce your (not your) argument.
You raise a valid point that the messaging of this has to be done better. I agree, and that is for more savvy people than me to figure out.

For me it comes down to this. A working yet imperfect system can be tweaked over time to make it go better. But a dysfunctional system that works as intended to the detriment of many citizens, needs to be rebuilt. (Before you rebuild something it needs to be torn down or gutted out, but that may be too close to home for suburban mom's so let's leave that point out).

It says a lot that for many people, the police departments across the country have done so much wrong that calls for their defunding are now national. I've never heard anyone (apart from Rand Paul and his acolytes) call to disband the fire department, Medicare, Social Security... All imperfect public functions who genuinely provide a net benefit to their societies and operate in good faith. The same cannot be said of the police with a straight face.

Again, the messaging can be better and I'm sure it will as emotions die down but too many people have lost hope that better training will stop all this. And can you blame them?