Protests following the killing of George Floyd

AFC NimbleThumb

They're really not doing themselves any favours

Crowd: There’s kids here
Police: Let’s storm the crowd

They seemingly just march & attack when told; a very stormtrooper mentality.

Progress, and a suggestion.
Wasn’t sure where he was going for a minute or so but he’s right; there are tales of cops showing restraint & operating with common sense which is what makes the egregious responses we see startling.

More work needs to be done in the hiring phase though; the community shouldn’t have to vet their officers.

starman

Interesting....these guys have came out as Trump supporters, which have pissed off a lot of people, they have also dropped quite a few controversial videos, to say the least....

But this one i agree with(bar the end :wenger:), the "protesters" were being twats, broke down a gate and were shouting "our street". I don't agree with civilians having guns but it is the US and the law allows it there...if I lived in a place like that in the U.K and a mob of people broke into my property I would have my 4 iron in my hand....

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wasn’t sure where he was going for a minute or so but he’s right; there are tales of cops showing restraint & operating with common sense which is what makes the egregious responses we see startling.

More work needs to be done in the hiring phase though; the community shouldn’t have to vet their officers.
There are lot of good suggestions on that guys channel. There seems to be impetus but the police need to want their profession cleaned up too..... I don't think that's the case right now?

onemanarmy

So our King has offered his regret for the atrocious regime of his ancestor Leopold II in Congo. It's not enough, but it's an important first step. His letter:

“On the sixtieth anniversary of the independence of the Democratic Republic of Congo, I would like to offer my warmest congratulations to you and the Congolese people.

This anniversary is an excellent opportunity to reconfirm our friendly ties. We look forward to the intense cooperation between our two countries in various fields, especially in the medical field. Today the pandemic demands our full attention on top of all other challenges. The privileged partnership between Belgium and Congo is a strong asset to deal with that. On the occasion of your national holiday, I would like to confirm our commitment to this partnership.

In order to strengthen our ties and deepen the friendship between our countries, we must be able to speak openly and serenely about our long shared history.

This history consists of common achievements, but also of painful episodes. At the time of the Congo Free State, acts of violence and atrocity were committed that continue to weigh on our collective memory. During the ensuing colonial period, suffering was also inflicted and humiliations were inflicted. I continue to express my deepest regrets for those past wounds. Wounds that are painfully tangible again nowadays through acts of discrimination, are still too strong in our society. I will continue to fight against all forms of racism. I encourage the reflection that is being started in our parliament to come to terms with the past.

We need to look to the future in a spirit of cooperation and mutual respect to address global challenges. The struggle for human dignity and for sustainable development requires that we join forces. I have this ambition for both our countries and both continents, Africa and Europe.

Due to the current circumstances, I unfortunately cannot travel to your beautiful country, which I would like to get to know better. I hope I get the opportunity to do that soon. ”

Carolina Red

Staff
Oh, now Facebook wants to step up...

NEW: Facebook has just announced that it took down a network of accounts, pages and groups tied to the extremist "boogaloo" movement, designating the anti-government movement as a "dangerous organization" and banning it from the platform. The controversial boogaloo movement advocates for violent uprisings with the aim of inciting a race war that will usher in a new government.

https://thehill.com/policy/technolo...twork-tied-to-the-extremist-boogaloo-movement

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Oh, now Facebook wants to step up...

NEW: Facebook has just announced that it took down a network of accounts, pages and groups tied to the extremist "boogaloo" movement, designating the anti-government movement as a "dangerous organization" and banning it from the platform. The controversial boogaloo movement advocates for violent uprisings with the aim of inciting a race war that will usher in a new government.

https://thehill.com/policy/technolo...twork-tied-to-the-extremist-boogaloo-movement
*Cue Donny sporting Hawaiian shirts on the golf course this weekend...

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
related to the protests

Judge Les Hayes once sentenced a single mother to 496 days behind bars for failing to pay traffic tickets. The sentence was so stiff it exceeded the jail time Alabama allows for negligent homicide.

Marquita Johnson, who was locked up in April 2012, says the impact of her time in jail endures today. Johnson’s three children were cast into foster care while she was incarcerated. One daughter was molested, state records show. Another was physically abused.

“Judge Hayes took away my life and didn’t care how my children suffered,” said Johnson, now 36. “My girls will never be the same.”

Fellow inmates found her sentence hard to believe. “They had a nickname for me: The Woman with All the Days,” Johnson said. “That’s what they called me: The Woman with All the Days. There were people who had committed real crimes who got out before me.”

In 2016, the state agency that oversees judges charged Hayes with violating Alabama’s code of judicial conduct. According to the Judicial Inquiry Commission, Hayes broke state and federal laws by jailing Johnson and hundreds of other Montgomery residents too poor to pay fines. Among those jailed: a plumber struggling to make rent, a mother who skipped meals to cover the medical bills of her disabled son, and a hotel housekeeper working her way through college.

Despite the severity of the ruling, Hayes wasn’t barred from serving as a judge. Instead, the judicial commission and Hayes reached a deal. The former Eagle Scout would serve an 11-month unpaid suspension. Then he could return to the bench.

All told, 9 of every 10 judges were allowed to return to the bench after they were sanctioned for misconduct, Reuters determined. They included a California judge who had sex in his courthouse chambers, once with his former law intern and separately with an attorney; a New York judge who berated domestic violence victims; and a Maryland judge who, after his arrest for driving drunk, was allowed to return to the bench provided he took a Breathalyzer test before each appearance.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-judges-misconduct/

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Why on earth are people who miss rent and so on jailed? How are these things crimes?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
related to the protests

Judge Les Hayes once sentenced a single mother to 496 days behind bars for failing to pay traffic tickets. The sentence was so stiff it exceeded the jail time Alabama allows for negligent homicide.

Marquita Johnson, who was locked up in April 2012, says the impact of her time in jail endures today. Johnson’s three children were cast into foster care while she was incarcerated. One daughter was molested, state records show. Another was physically abused.

“Judge Hayes took away my life and didn’t care how my children suffered,” said Johnson, now 36. “My girls will never be the same.”

Fellow inmates found her sentence hard to believe. “They had a nickname for me: The Woman with All the Days,” Johnson said. “That’s what they called me: The Woman with All the Days. There were people who had committed real crimes who got out before me.”

In 2016, the state agency that oversees judges charged Hayes with violating Alabama’s code of judicial conduct. According to the Judicial Inquiry Commission, Hayes broke state and federal laws by jailing Johnson and hundreds of other Montgomery residents too poor to pay fines. Among those jailed: a plumber struggling to make rent, a mother who skipped meals to cover the medical bills of her disabled son, and a hotel housekeeper working her way through college.

Despite the severity of the ruling, Hayes wasn’t barred from serving as a judge. Instead, the judicial commission and Hayes reached a deal. The former Eagle Scout would serve an 11-month unpaid suspension. Then he could return to the bench.

All told, 9 of every 10 judges were allowed to return to the bench after they were sanctioned for misconduct, Reuters determined. They included a California judge who had sex in his courthouse chambers, once with his former law intern and separately with an attorney; a New York judge who berated domestic violence victims; and a Maryland judge who, after his arrest for driving drunk, was allowed to return to the bench provided he took a Breathalyzer test before each appearance.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-judges-misconduct/
Everyone knew abouyt this, it's official in the justice dept record yet no one did anything

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
If there is any political braniac with control over these protests then it might be a great time to change the message to say American lives matter or military lives matter as well in order to push the Trump and Rs on the active attempt to cover up the Russian bounty story.

Hell at this pt it should be pissed off Republicans protesting as well if they truly think "all lives matter". Clearly not enough to care about all the service members who s deaths are likely on Trump's hands, I guess? The whole sham of the Rs being briefly separately from the Dem house members is disgustingly corrupt.

You know a Roger Stone type of character would find a way to rile people up over something that can be an easy score for the Dems. But I know I'm making wild assumptions that the Dems have learned to wrestle in the mud by now.

Sweet Square

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This fixes nothing. It's not the moderate that needs to be fixed.

This is only cosmetics, all these years the culture against black seems to be getting much better (african american, diversity quota, equality employment) but only on the superficial level. The racism is still well alive in america, they just put more and more makeup to hide it.

Anyone on socmed can get fired foe using racist slur, even racist joke can get you fired if it goes viral.

But the one that actually kneeled on george floyd can go free if not for nationwide riot.

American political correctness is a whole hypocritical mess covering a very blatant racism issue

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

SteveJ

Scout
This is exactly how Nanny Germany started.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

The madness in those eyes.
Bloody hell, guy has assault rifle? Love for weapons in USA is crazy.
But what do you expect from this women? Angry mob broke down into their home and she is alone with her husband.
I can't believe that some people are defending mob (these people are not protesters) in this situation. I am family person. My wife and my kid are the most important persons in my life. If i was in place of this man i don't think that i would react this calmly like he did.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But what do you expect from this women? Angry mob broke down into their home and she is alone with her husband.
I can't believe that some people are defending mob (these people are not protesters) in this situation. I am family person. My wife and my kid are the most important persons in my life. If i was in place of this man i don't think that i would react this calmly like he did.
They didn't broke into their home, they were in a private street on their way to the mayor house. These two people decided to confront with fire arms in hands, a group of people that wasn't interested in them. If you are a family person, you do what most sane people do, you stay inside, behind thick walls and eventually call the police.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They didn't broke into their home, they were in a private street on their way to the mayor house. These two people decided to confront with fire arms in hands, a group of people that wasn't interested in them. If you are a family person, you do what most sane people do, you stay inside, behind thick walls and eventually call the police.
Well i don't have gun (and never will) so it would be only thing to do. With my wife and kid probably having emotional scars for the rest of their lives.
And yes, they were on private property. They broke in their property. Not on the street. If they were on the street than i would be first to say that those two are sick bastards. I am pacifist and i am so glad that i live in Europe where gun laws ( at least in my country) are strict as it gets.

JPRouve

Scout
Well i don't have gun (and never will) so it would be only thing to do. With my wife and kid probably having emotional scars for the rest of their lives.
And yes, they were on private property. They broke in their property. Not on the street. If they were on the street than i would be first to say that those two are sick bastards. I am pacifist and i am so glad that i live in Europe where gun laws ( at least in my country) are strict as it gets.
They were on a private street in a gated community, they didn't broke into their home but the residential area. The mob was walking on the private street on their way to an other house, the Mayor's house, these two people decided to confront them with fire arms. The mob is in the wrong because they are trespassing and the two people are too because they are dumb, these two people didn't put themselves in a safe situation they went out of their way to not benefit from the cover of their walls which would have been quite useful if the mob was actually after them, you are not killing 20 people easily in a matter of seconds with an AR-15 and what looks to be a PPK, if the mob was after them and only one of them had a firearm these two people would have been dead. People should remember that movies are fake, in real life the average joe gets killed by the mob because he doesn't actually hit the target that often.

SteveJ

Scout
It says everything about Starkey that he's now known as a controversial, rent-a-quote media gun-for-hire rather than the historian his reputation was formerly founded upon.

JPRouve

Scout
Forgotten this racist still exists.
There was no genocide in Rwanda otherwise there wouldn't so many damn Hutu and Tutsi.

Without exaggeration it's one of the dumbest thing I have ever heard and it comes from an historian.

SteveJ

Scout
Believe me, his history books are disappointing too.

Carolina Red

Staff
1) I’d expect better trigger discipline

2) You think they live outside?

JPRouve

Scout
1) I’d expect better trigger discipline

2) You think they live outside?
I actually wouldn't expect better trigger discipline which is one of my biggest worry. While anyone who has at least tried to get an hunting license will know that you do not put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot, I suspect that it won't cross most people's mind. And the way she handles her pistols the poor arm angle and the fact that at various point she doesn't even look in the direction she is aiming at, tells me that she has never been trained. At least I hope.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Forgotten this racist still exists.
The term 'blacks' just really doesn't sit right with me.

Maybe someone who's well versed in linguistics can better explain, but there's a dehumanisation happening right? removing 'people' from "black people" and reducing it to just 'blacks' isn't something you see with other races.

Anyway, people in positions of power with a lot of influence being racist is nothing new - i'm just glad they're taking off their own mask these days.

Carolina Red

Staff
I actually wouldn't expect better trigger discipline which is one of my biggest worry. While anyone who has at least tried to get an hunting license will know that you do not put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot, I suspect that it won't cross most people's mind. And the way she handles her pistols the poor arm angle and the fact that at various point she doesn't even look in the direction she is aiming at, tells me that she has never been trained. At least I hope.
Oh, no doubt. She looks like nobody has ever taught her how to use that thing.

I should have said I’d expect better trigger discipline from anybody I let hold a loaded gun near me.