g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
A 17 yo has just shot 3 people with an assault rifle (semi or full I don't care) ..... Peoples need for something needs to be balanced for the greter good, any one who disagrees with that is pretty selfish, or as it seems American.
17 year olds shouldn't have access to any firearm unless they are being supervised by their parent or guardian in a proper setting (gun range or hunting) not open carrying in a state where they don't live (or where they live for that matter!).

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
17 year olds shouldn't have access to any firearm unless they are being supervised by their parent or guardian in a proper setting (gun range or hunting) not open carrying in a state where they don't live (or where they live for that matter!).
Do you realise how fecked this comment is? Kids shouldn't drink, shouldn't smoke, but when your laws allow access to military class weapons the risk is always there? Ban guns and your death rate will fall, its simple math. Your laws are promoting death in your country.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Do you realise how fecked this comment is? Kids shouldn't drink, shouldn't smoke, but when your laws allow access to military class weapons the risk is always there? Ban guns and your death rate will fall, its simple math. Your laws are promoting death in your country.
Sounds strange to people ouside of North America. But it's in their constitution which has been indoctrinated since it was written.

Just like I don't understand customs from other cultures or nations to mine, I doubt anyone outside of USA will 'get' their right to own guns.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Things have gotten real fecking crazy lately. This is an entirely new circle.
Lately dude? I don’t see this as a new circle at all. We’ve been reading or hearing about fecked up American gun laws for decades.

I fail to understand the American viewpoint that there’s nothing wrong with their gun laws after all the mass shootings we’ve witnessed over the years and now this latest video?

Guns are killing machines. That is their sole purpose. When you have a Country where you’re able to walk past police officers while carrying a fully automatic assault rifle you are in trouble.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Sounds strange to people ouside of North America. But it's in their constitution which has been indoctrinated since it was written.

Just like I don't understand customs from other cultures or nations to mine, I doubt anyone outside of USA will 'get' their right to own guns.
To me its the risk to benefit that they are all to willing to take. If I were to expand on all of this I don't think its gun laws that are all the problem, but clearly it plays a part. There police are clearly under trained, there main go to is to draw their weapon and point. As soon as they do that the likelihood of a shooting escalates dramatically. If we go back to weapon ownership, what real reason does anyone in this day and age have for owning an assault rifle? The answer is none, there is absolutely no reason.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
There's no hope for the US. There are over 350 million firearms in circulation. They're never going away.

Making it slightly harder to get guns via background checks, licensing, etc may help the issues we see with policing but honestly in that climate the cops need to approach every interaction as if a gun may be present. However, they should always wear protective vests to reduce their chances of serious harm and use this to keep from overreacting anytime they see something that might be a gun.
Your first sentence negates the rest of the post! Even background checks are just for new owners ... as you say, there are 350m out there, am sure anyone can buy an unauthorised one in less than 3 phone calls or sms's?

Even a citizen recall would never work. Im not sure you could convince an entire generation not to own one, and the just wait it out for 40 years while the older generation died off. Thats the only way I can think of. And its an absurd idea that will never work.

There is simply no way out, even if you had the political and societal will.

Dr. Dwayne

I'm not American and don't live in the US.

The US lacks basic storage requirements that go a long way to keeping guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have access to them as well as reducing the opportunity for crimes of passion or suicide. It sounds far fetched but having to take a few moments to get your gun out of a safe, remove a trigger lock and load it is often sufficient time for one's emotions to calm and adopt a more rational approach. It also reduces accidental shootings when little kids find a loaded gun under a pillow, the bed or in a drawer somewhere.

This is basic stuff that they lack and this easily contributes to hundreds, if not thousands of deaths a year. Remarkably, people feel this infringes their right to keep and bear arms. Just buy a holster and wear it around the house if you feel the need. A gun in a drawer isn't going to help you when multiple people kick your door in.

That said, this thread really isn't the place for this discussion despite last night's horrific and surreal events.

Dr. Dwayne

Lately dude? I don’t see this as a new circle at all. We’ve been reading or hearing about fecked up American gun laws for decades.

I fail to understand the American viewpoint that there’s nothing wrong with their gun laws after all the mass shootings we’ve witnessed over the years and now this latest video?

Guns are killing machines. That is their sole purpose. When you have a Country where you’re able to walk past police officers while carrying a fully automatic assault rifle you are in trouble.
I'm speaking specifically about the anti-racism rioting and the appearance of armed opponents of the rioting coming out to defend freedom or whatever they think they're doing. It's a whole new level of crazy.

Dr. Dwayne

Your first sentence negates the rest of the post! Even background checks are just for new owners ... as you say, there are 350m out there, am sure anyone can buy an unauthorised one in less than 3 phone calls or sms's?

Even a citizen recall would never work. Im not sure you could convince an entire generation not to own one, and the just wait it out for 40 years while the older generation died off. Thats the only way I can think of. And its an absurd idea that will never work.

There is simply no way out, even if you had the political and societal will.
I know, but you can at least make it harder for people who shouldn't have guns. That's a big step and they need to do baby steps first, like making people store their guns safely. Not for this thread, though.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
To me its the risk to benefit that they are all to willing to take. If I were to expand on all of this I don't think its gun laws that are all the problem, but clearly it plays a part. There police are clearly under trained, there main go to is to draw their weapon as soon as they can no matter what the situation, and once a gun is drawn the likelihood of a shooting escalates dramatically. if we go back to weapon ownership, what real reason does anyone in this day and age have for owning an assault rifle? The answer is none, there is absolutely no reason.
Vicious and unbreakable cycle though isn't it. Because there are 350m guns in circulation, cops have to assume suspects will have a gun. And a gun can be drawn very quickly. No-one wants to die, and cops are trained to put their safety first. So for this issue, the only solution is mass education insisting that all citizens do not resist any form of police interrogation or arrest, else they are liable to get shot. But then you've ended up as a complete police state, and of course there will be rogue corrupt cops who just want to kill, and crazy or drunk civilians who wont comply.

So you're back to the issue on how do you withdraw 350m guns from a society who have been brainwashed that this is a fundamental human right.

Am sure the top minds in USA have thought about a solution for many many years and cant get to a workable solution. Vicious and unbreakable cycle.

Am sure you know all of this. Anyways we are distracting this thread, this debate has been had in depth in another thread, where I learned alot from many knowledgeable posters on here.

Last edited:

Volumiza

If I were to expand on all of this I don't think its gun laws that are all the problem, but clearly it plays a part ...

... If we go back to weapon ownership, what real reason does anyone in this day and age have for owning an assault rifle? The answer is none, there is absolutely no reason.
Gun laws play a huge part. What would you rather have? 1,000,000 (number plucked from my head) racist idiots? Or 1,000,000 racist idiots with easy access to gun?

Volumiza

Everything was supposed to be ok after there was a black president. Who knew there'd be such a disgusting backlash.
This isn’t anything to do with any president, no matter what colour. It’s to do with the fecking imbecilic constitution.

The only western country this stuff happens in is America.

I truly love America by the way, I’ve had some of the best times of my life there but the gun laws are just dumb.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
the only video ive seen is the one when he was being chased around the car, he shot back hit thr guy in the head then called the police on himself.

But apparently because he was at the gas station protecting property, when that guy starts chasing him there's a possibility this stand your ground law can kick in where you can use lethal force to protect property or your person.

Obviously this is all second hand information and could be total shite, but i wouldnt be surprised if he got if.

@choiboyx012 maybe you'd know better the laws on this
Sorry, being in CA I’m not too familiar with Stand your ground laws. I’m still confused as to the timeline of each event. He’s definitely “defending himself” when he gets chased and ganged up on by the 2-3 guys with skateboard and handgun (Assault w/deadly weapon), but I don’t know what happened leading up to the first (?) shooting where he shot someone in the head.

It’s now for the court to decide and argue that him illegally having a semi-auto rifle and going into the city to incite violence was reckless enough to negate any event that happens afterwards.

Dr. Dwayne

This isn’t anything to do with any president, no matter what colour. It’s to do with the fecking imbecilic constitution.

The only western country this stuff happens in is America.

I truly love America by the way, I’ve had some of the best times of my life there but the gun laws are just dumb.
What happened last night is a new and terrifying development. My fear is that we'll see more of this. These vigilantes are heavily indoctrinated and empowered by Trumpism. They'd be doing this no matter what the gun laws were (provided they have access to guns, which they will for a long time in the US).

Dr. Dwayne

Sorry, being in CA I’m not too familiar with Stand your ground laws. I’m still confused as to the timeline of each event. He’s definitely “defending himself” when he gets chased and ganged up on by the 2-3 guys with skateboard and handgun (Assault w/deadly weapon), but I don’t know what happened leading up to the first (?) shooting where he shot someone in the head.

It’s now for the court to decide and argue that him illegally having a semi-auto rifle and going into the city to incite violence was reckless enough to negate any event that happens afterwards.
I'm going to hope that the self-defense argument goes both ways and the fact that he's already shot someone justifies what those other victims did to him.

Plus he's seventeen and from out of state. God willing, he never sees freedom again.

Volumiza

What happened last night is a new and terrifying development. My fear is that we'll see more of this. These vigilantes are heavily indoctrinated and empowered by Trumpism. They'd be doing this no matter what the gun laws were (provided they have access to guns, which they will for a long time in the US).
But the gun laws currently make access and ownership easier right?

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Things are never going to change are they? We're just going round in circles.
Sadly it won’t. It’s one of those situations where it’s “too little too late”. Whatever laws are implemented it’s only going to be a very small step. You can ban all gun ownership outright, but there’s so many already in circulation and in black markets/criminal groups. Tragedies will continue to happen.

Dr. Dwayne

But the gun laws currently make access and ownership easier right?
I'm comparing it to Canada (which I always do) and am of the opinion that if those people were here they'd be trying on the same thing under similar circumstances despite our relatively strict gun controls.

Yes, it's realtively easy to legally acquire guns in the US but for the large number of them out there, only a few people have gone this far. While access to firearms plays a role, the majority of people who have them aren't going out to play vigilante in the name of the state and kill people. This is unusual and new, as well as terrifying. These are not people who should have access to guns.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Well, proper assault weapons are fully automatic and these are hard to get in the US unless you have loads of money to waste on guns (and ammunition). Not at all practical. Best left to the tourist shooting ranges.

Yes, guns are to shoot things, but they don't have to be living things. That's not very nice at all.
Well, sharp steak knives are not made to just cut yourself, but you don't let toddlers play with them. Toddlers are exactly what humans are when it comes to empathy and responsibility when it comes to guns.

Dwazza, I bet you are an extremely responsible gun owner. Friends here in WI and back in AL are also extremely responsible gun owners. Hell, the majority of gun owners are probably responsible gun owners. But none of that matters, because there are many who aren't and they cause untold levels of carnage and tragedy. Guns may be used now for shooting non living things, but their very existence stems from humanity's desire to kill more efficiently.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I'm going to hope that the self-defense argument goes both ways and the fact that he's already shot someone justifies what those other victims did to him.

Plus he's seventeen and from out of state. God willing, he never sees freedom again.
I doubt it works like that. Unless he was actively shooting or hurting someone, chasing him down when actively fleeing isn’t grounds for self defense.

But yea, let him rot in prison. One less scumbag.

Dr. Dwayne

Maybe it is unusual and new in one sense but not in the ‘young idiot with a gun’ sense that we’ve seen in US over the years.

Sorry dude, I’m just very anti guns.

Very anti racism also but I’d rather racists not be armed or have such easy access to guns.
That's fine. I'm not some sort of gun missionary :lol: we're free to have our own views and I'll respect most of them.

I understand that, but the motivation is chilling to me. More chilling than a troubled person who wants the world to burn and lashes out as we have seen so often. What we saw last night are people who have been influenced by ideology. People who have that motivating them and justifying their actions are capable of so much terror and opression. It's ominous for what may come in the US.

Dr. Dwayne

Well, sharp steak knives are not made to just cut yourself, but you don't let toddlers play with them. Toddlers are exactly what humans are when it comes to empathy and responsibility when it comes to guns.

Dwazza, I bet you are an extremely responsible gun owner. Friends here in WI and back in AL are also extremely responsible gun owners. Hell, the majority of gun owners are probably responsible gun owners. But none of that matters, because there are many who aren't and they cause untold levels of carnage and tragedy. Guns may be used now for shooting non living things, but their very existence stems from humanity's desire to kill more efficiently.
I live under a much more restrictive system of gun control, so it's almost a pointless comparison. I've always acknowledged the US needs change when it comes to guns. AS noted, they dangerous as hell and not to be fecked with. The consequences of not getting this are severe and terrible. It's frustrating and sad that so many Americans see guns and violence as a way to solve their problems.

Volumiza

That's fine. I'm not asome sort of gun missionary :lol: we're free to have our own views and I'll respect most of them.

I understand that, but the motivation is chilling to me. More chilling than a troubled person who wants the world to burn and lashes out as we have seen so often. What we saw last night are people who have been influenced by ideology. People who have that motivating them and justifying their actions are capable of so much terror and opression. It's ominous for what may come in the US.
I’m off to bed in a minute, it’s late and I’m knackered, been a busy day. Done loads of gardening and been in the gym and also naughtily drunk a bottle of wine but I will say this before I go...

Whether they’re ideologically moronic or a youngster wanting the world to burn ... they all have guns in their hands ... same same.

MarylandMUFan

Wow, I had no idea about that, thanks for posting that. Amazing that it's those idiots in Missouri were celebrated by the right wing for "guarding" their house against unarmed peaceful protesters and it's the right wing nut jobs with automatic weapons assembling acting like they are an f'n' army. It's absolutely nuts.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
What are fringe movements in just about any other western country are celebrated and enabled in this country. As long as we continue to have a two party system and a media and corporate machine that thrives on keeping it so- only a semi capable govt can help keep it on the fringes by shifting the conversation away from the extreme. Until the next lunatic installs his band of merry men. Sometimes it makes you wonder if the only way to get a handle on it is to have the states become more independent than they already are.