Protests following the killing of George Floyd

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Wow, I had no idea about that, thanks for posting that. Amazing that it's those idiots in Missouri were celebrated by the right wing for "guarding" their house against unarmed peaceful protesters and it's the right wing nut jobs with automatic weapons assembling acting like they are an f'n' army. It's absolutely nuts.
I posted this in another thread, but there is a fantastic podcast from NPR (from the radiolab folks) called More Perfect. They did an episode on the second amendment and covered this and also the fringe group takeover of the NRA. Apparently it used to be a rather benign org that focused on gun safety and it was taken over by a handful of guys who litterally cheated the election process.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/radiolab-presents-more-perfect-gun-show

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The problems isn't only NRA

The number of pro guns vs anti guns is almost equal? Means there will be no consensus without hurting the other majority. In an ideal world if 5% of population hate guns, they'll shut up and vice versa.
You can't confiscate all guns in US, the US law, freedom of speech etc would make it harder to snatch their guns.
Even if you can somehow make the legal work to confiscate them, the logistic and buy back would cripple their economy.
Then there's guns company vested interest
The senators / lawmakers aren't all anti gun

So guns won't likely to go away in the near future.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
If this doesn't even make people flinch, America is royally fecked.
I don't know about everyone else but this seems especially diabolical to me, both sides will be armed soon and we'll have a street battle if it keeps on like this.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I often think back to this Tweet from 4 years ago:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Maybe it is unusual and new in one sense but not in the ‘young idiot with a gun’ sense that we’ve seen in US over the years.

Sorry dude, I’m just very anti guns.

Very anti racism also but I’d rather racists not be armed or have such easy access to guns.
I don't understand it either. Just ban (have strict laws about owning and carrying) the guns like Europe did and you have solved lots of problems. How Americans can't understand simple truth; more guns=more shooting.
In USA it is "normal" to have bloody assault rifle. Assault rifle! Those things should be allowed only for army. But no, common citizen can go and buy it. Because it is his right.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I don't understand it either. Just ban (have strict laws about owning and carrying) the guns like Europe did and you have solved lots of problems. How Americans can't understand simple truth; more guns=more shooting.
In USA it is "normal" to have bloody assault rifle. Assault rifle! Those things should be allowed only for army. But no, common citizen can go and buy it. Because it is his right.
Ban them and then make unauthorised ownership a criminal offence as it is is in most of the civilised world.

I know there are so many guns already in circulation but you have to start somewhere.

Scrub that nonsensical and outdated part of the constitution and move on.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
....Scrub that nonsensical and outdated part of the constitution and move on.
That‘s not happening though, in the next 20-30 years... US needs to find a way despite of that...

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I'm comparing it to Canada (which I always do) and am of the opinion that if those people were here they'd be trying on the same thing under similar circumstances despite our relatively strict gun controls.

Yes, it's realtively easy to legally acquire guns in the US but for the large number of them out there, only a few people have gone this far. While access to firearms plays a role, the majority of people who have them aren't going out to play vigilante in the name of the state and kill people. This is unusual and new, as well as terrifying. These are not people who should have access to guns.
No one should have access to guns, if you want to play solider man on a range use a nerf gun and shoot foam darts at targets.

The only reason for a gun I’d say is self protection but if your gun is locked away in a cupboard not loaded or whatever other security you mention it’s pointless anyway as would take to long to get in an emergency.

the sale of guns should stop, and open carry should stop. simple as that.

Raven

Inappropriate Behavior
Specifically killed someone who tried to brain him with a skateboard. It's not a controversial statement, the second and third shootings look like self defence. Islamic terror attacks dont happen in the middle of protests and riots, and dont end with the guy running away to hide behind a line of police cars, bizarre comparison.

End of the day, this is what violent protests, looting and arson are going to result in in modern America. It's inevitable that you'll get kids, pensioners, right wing gun lovers, KKK, normal small business owners, all arming up. Either to protect their property or just to try and start something.
You're an absolute disgrace.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
America is a lost cause. Think the US as well know it won't exist in 50 years. Has more features of a war torn failed state than a developed country.

Raven

What a disgusting place. I've always had a pretty deep dislike of America but at this stage I hope they just burn the place to the ground and start over.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah... he's blaming murder victims. It's disgraceful, there is no argument here.
Do you know the circumstances surrounding the first shooting? Without knowing that I cant say the shootings captured on video can be called murder.

Adisa

Do you know the circumstances surrounding the first shooting? Without knowing that I cant say the shootings captured on video can be called murder.
What was a 17 year old kid from out of town and part of a militia group promoting violence doing there?

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
What was a 17 year old kid from out of town and part of a militia group promoting violence doing there?
I don’t know and I’m not sure if it’s relevant. The question is did he break the law and did he commit murder? How are you making judgements without knowing the facts?

Raven

I know the main part. One guy getting shot in the face by another guy wielding an assault rifle.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What a disgusting place. I've always had a pretty deep dislike of America but at this stage I hope they just burn the place to the ground and start over.
As someone who lives here thanks for this.

I personally don’t hope anything bad happens to you or the people you love because I am not a horrible human being who revels in group punishment. But hey, you do you.

Adisa

I don’t know and I’m not sure if it’s relevant. The question is did he break the law and did he commit murder? How are you making judgements without knowing the facts?
How can why he went to another town with a gun not be relevant? Are you serious right now.

Adisa

As someone who lives here thanks for this.

I personally don’t hope anything bad happens to you or the people you love because I am not a horrible human being who revels in group punishment. But hey, you do you.
He was being figurative. Not asking for the country to be literally burnt to the ground with fire.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
America is a lost cause. Think the US as well know it won't exist in 50 years. Has more features of a war torn failed state than a developed country.
Woah there, it's the greatest country in the world!

Nanook

From what I’ve read it seems like the police officers involved in the George Floyd case have got a pretty good chance of being found not guilty. It’ll be fecking chaos if that happens.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He was being figurative. Not asking for the country to be literally burnt to the ground with fire.
What do you think this “figurative” fire is? A campfire singalong? No, any figurative burning to the ground will include violence and suffering.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Comments like this are so stupid.

Same as the “America deserves what it gets for voting in Trump” narrative. Just straight idiotic.

neverdie

What we're watching is the televised death of American exceptionalism. Trump (and Biden) are the last throws of the dice for a country in the last throes of mass delusion. It's not so long ago that many Americans, even here, wouldn't have fathomed any question over the greatness of their justice system. Hiding behind those empty patriotic statements has become impossible now and the US as a nation is waking up to many unheaded realities.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
feck knows how this will all turn out.

I am looking at some other forums and am very surprised what i am seeing. A well known Irish forum appears to be 90% in favour of that little scrote with the rifle. A different forum I do be on which is extremely left leaning want to see all BLM protesters have guns too which is a scary prospect.

The country is beyond fecked and I dont see much changing in November

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
feck knows how this will all turn out.

I am looking at some other forums and am very surprised what i am seeing. A well known Irish forum appears to be 90% in favour of that little scrote with the rifle. A different forum I do be on which is extremely left leaning want to see all BLM protesters have guns too which is a scary prospect.

The country is beyond fecked and I dont see much changing in November
Whats it called?

The Firestarter

Its 300 million country. Not everyone is a sociopathic materialistic and racist. The number that are, as it appears, is really disconcerting.

Still, comments such as 'burn everything' are really not helpful.

Raven

Just to clarify what I mean by burn America to the ground and start over. I mean pulling down the entire diseased system, from education, to healthcare, to the system of democracy, to to gun laws, etc. And building it all from scratch.

A number of my relatives are American, some of the best people I've met are American. I have nothing against Americans, I have a problem with the power structure and each and every institution designed to keep the working/black man down.

How anyone can look at America and say "that's the country I want/am proud to live in" is beyond me.

clarkydaz

Seems that way. not because of loss of direction, it just doesnt want to be fixed