Protests following the killing of George Floyd

evil_geko

You don't understand the word literal.

And what topic have I "dug" around, I've written much more on this subject than you and your short and rather embarassing posts.

Finally, what does that last paragraph mean? We've conversed in what, three threads on here? All of which has gone the same way, I've called you out to explain yourself whilst talking rationally and you've just resorted to calling me "idiotic" and avoiding any questions.

So again, point out where I or anyone else condone killing of innocent people. Or stop making a fool of yourself, admit you have no clue of the subject, and take what self respect you have left and leave a thread that really doesn't warrant petty bickering.
I called idiotic condoning innocent violence of any kind, if you recognised yourself in there, that is your problem, not mine. And pointing anything out to you is pretty much useless as proved in the past. I will be a "fool" for not condoning innocent violence, but a "fool" with clean conscience.

@Fingeredmouse my empathy ends when I see scenes where innocents get almost beaten to death for defending themselves.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If coppers were allowed guns as freely as they are in the states it wouldn't be that much different IMO.
I have an acquaintance who is a cop, who basically brags at parties about being "rough", I reckon he would fit right into a US department. The only thing keeping him in line are his colleagues, who tell him to cut it out. I reckon the job and its perks just attracts a certain type of person.

TheReligion

Abusive
That's a good question, in France they have guns and it doesn't happen often. I don't know if the UK are that similar to the US.
That's the thing I don't think he's basing it on anything other than his opinion. As to why he has that opinion I don't know but it certainly doesn't look like being evidence based.

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
More valuable content to the discussion.
Just wanna say something to you mate:
From what I've read I am pretty sure you are a reasonable good guy and cop. Under any circumstances I would come into contact with law enforcement I would like to meet and discuss the the matter or my transgression with a cop like you who has a nuanced view of his job and the citizens he serves to protect.
But at the moment you are doing yourself no favour.
They had a chance to back up when they were threatened. They could have reasoned with the protesters in case of an emergency or just called in, that they are busy deescalating and ask for another patrol to be sent. NY was full of police, so it probably would have just taken afurther minute to inform another unit to get to the emergency, that is nearly as close by.
These type of officers are a danger to you and your colleagues. They are the reason, people distrust the police. And as much as you vow to protect your colleagues, these are guys are not worth it. They are escalating the situation and putting officers further down the road at risk meeting more aggrevated protesters.
I know you are a british copper, so please don't take it personally that I compared "you" to the american police

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I understand the rage. Shame about the timing of this though. Thousands will propably die of Covid-19 because of the masses of people gathering :( Even more scary to think about what the narcissist Trump might do. This has the potential to become a full rebellion if the police keeps acting like they do, and then Trumptydumpty suddenly decides to declare martial law and send in the army. Maybe they then won't even be loyal to him an voila you have a potential new ciwil war. Maybe, maybe not, but this does have the potential for bigger things if the government in the US acts in a stupid irresponsible way (which kind of seems plausible considering..).

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah, those articles say it's only been used in that context by morons on Reddit and Twitter for less than a year. Most people in the UK won't know or care what they're up to.

Like I said, I don't really have much of an interest in the "alt right" conversation in America. Seems like a lot of angry young men being bellends.
Okay?

I'm just talking about it in the context of those types of people being the ones who are sending people to infiltrate these protests and start chaos.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I wonder if they are trained to do that or something during their unarmed tactics? It's certainly not something that exists within training in the UK however it does seem a coincidence that it's happening again here under the circumstances.
I wouldn't be shocked if they are trained to use more severe tactics than other countries.
I most often look at police officers as some of the best people in society, but in the US there seems to a ton of them who have severe issues with how they handle situations.

From what I remember I think there was a TV show in Norway some years ago where there was a cop from the US talking to cops in Norway and they were shocked that any firearms were left in the car (if they had them at all) and that just about every solution was de-escalated through communication.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I called idiotic condoning innocent violence of any kind, if you recognised yourself in there, that is your problem, not mine. And pointing anything out to you is pretty much useless as proved in the past. I will be a "fool" for not condoning innocent violence, but a "fool" with clean conscience.

@Fingeredmouse my empathy ends when I see scenes where innocents get almost beaten to death for defending themselves.
You've shown who and what you are enough.

And if you think I'm "hunting" you (:lol: I mean, seriously?) then feel free to report me and let the mods decide. As in every discussion we've ever had, I've asked for clarification and further debate and you've ran away from it every single time.

Oh and as a last thing, wtf is "innocent violence"? If you want to move the goalposts, at least try to make sense my friend!

Edit: sorry, last last thing, are you calling the guy running out with a sword innocent? Or is there another incident which you refer to?

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Vile and sickening. Old man not bothering anyone. In the end the officer who pushed him actually tried to help him getting up, but that was only after his colleague went to help and it was obvious there are people filming.

Probably figured he could lose the job based on this, so there are small traces of intelligence.

Not sure how is this supposed to calm down when there are just more and more evidence of policy brutality coming out.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
That's a good question, in France they have guns and it doesn't happen often. I don't know if the UK are that similar to the US.
Look what happened with the French cops and the yellow vests though. They were shooting innocent people in the face with rubber bullets, tear gassing indiscriminately and beating up people left, right and centre. Their behavior wasn’t that different to the US cops this weekend.

Heardy

The injustice is not exclusive to the US. There are plenty of examples of UK citizens being killed by either police or racists. The UK is just as much a nation built by racism as the US is.
I’d bet the US is far more disproportionate relative to the UK.

im not saying that black people/minorities are not subject to racism in the UK and racism is abhorrent - no argument.

If people are protesting in London today - that’s directly because they see similar in the US and they’re jumping in the bandwagon and using it as an excuse. It cheapens their argument.

I’d love to see racism eradicated, but rioting and destroying innocent businesses etc is bullshit.

Carolina Red

Staff
That's interesting. It's not something we are taught in the UK and I'd be interested to know what the rationale is for having a knee on someone's neck in any training syllabus would be. Is there any cross over with military tactics?

I don't know enough about it but it does look like something they are being trained to do which is really concerning when it comes to policing in general in the US.
It's a brutal, but effective way to immobilize someone, I would think would be what they'd say.

Not exactly like for like, but in folkstyle and freestyle wrestling there's some things we do that involves placing the knee on the back of the neck if the guy is on his stomach, and that guy's not going anywhere.

evil_geko

You've shown who and what you are enough.

And if you think I'm "hunting" you (:lol: I mean, seriously?) then feel free to report me and let the mods decide. As in every discussion we've ever had, I've asked for clarification and further debate and you've ran away from it every single time.

Oh and as a last thing, wtf is "innocent violence"? If you want to move the goalposts, at least try to make sense my friend!
I guess this ends discussion if you really have to ask me that. This is why I "run" from our discussions, because it always goes in endless circles with you.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'm sorry but to compare police brutality in the UK to the US is wrong and very misleading. It's chalk and cheese.

That said racism is a world wide issue though and not just something exclusive to the United States.
Correct, there is no similarity whatsoever. Plus any police brutality in the UK isn't racially aggravated as it seems in the US.

From what I have witnessed around my way the police are pretty pleasant when arresting people even when said people are resisting arrest. (Not me before anyone assassinates me) also I'm sure there are instances when this is different round here but unfortunately all walks of life have knobheads.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
A normal person would realise that putting a large amount of pressure on someone's neck is dangerous but it makes you wonder if this is something that are taught to do when pinning someone. @choiboyx012 @Skizzo ?
no. only on limbs.
Moving forward i think academies will focus more on this. I remember doing a lot of grappling techniques in the matroom which is padded, but maybe in the future i would recommend training on actual concrete/hardfloor? Just to show recruits how painful and uncomfortable it is having weight on you in a prone position.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Look what happened with the French cops and the yellow vests though. They were shooting innocent people in the face with rubber bullets, tear gassing indiscriminately and beating up people left, right and centre. Their behavior wasn’t that different to the US cops this weekend.
Their behavior was very different, the black blocs attacked the police and everyone else, throwing rocks and using crow bars. Also the yellow vests are a bunch of cnuts, they fight each others and everyone else too.

The french police is far from perfect but lets not use yellow vests and black blocs as examples, if you want a good example of how cnutish the french police can be you have the firefighters protests.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I guess this ends discussion if you really have to ask me that. This is why I "run" from our discussions, because it always goes in circles with you.
Again, you don't understand irony. You certainly can't seem to answer simple questions.

But yep, I'll allow you to end it here. I look forward to tracking you down in the future ;)

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That's interesting. It's not something we are taught in the UK and I'd be interested to know what the rationale is for having a knee on someone's neck in any training syllabus would be. Is there any cross over with military tactics?

I don't know enough about it but it does look like something they are being trained to do which is really concerning when it comes to policing in general in the US.
I'm curious as to what the UK training in this situation is if you don't mind ?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's a brutal, but effective way to immobilize someone, I would think would be what they'd say.

Not exactly like for like, but in folkstyle and freestyle wrestling there's some things we do that involves placing the knee on the back of the neck if the guy is on his stomach, and that guy's not going anywhere.
I personally think there's nothing wrong with the tactics / training of the police officer.

The same tactics would not have resulted in Floyd's death without the same malice intention, it's the man, not the system. You can change the system as you like racist cops will find flaws to exploit anyways.

Fix the humans, not the system I'd say.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just wanna say something to you mate:
From what I've read I am pretty sure you are a reasonable good guy and cop. Under any circumstances I would come into contact with law enforcement I would like to meet and discuss the the matter or my transgression with a cop like you who has a nuanced view of his job and the citizens he serves to protect.
But at the moment you are doing yourself no favour.
They had a chance to back up when they were threatened. They could have reasoned with the protesters in case of an emergency or just called in, that they are busy deescalating and ask for another patrol to be sent. NY was full of police, so it probably would have just taken afurther minute to inform another unit to get to the emergency, that is nearly as close by.
These type of officers are a danger to you and your colleagues. They are the reason, people distrust the police. And as much as you vow to protect your colleagues, these are guys are not worth it. They are escalating the situation and putting officers further down the road at risk meeting more aggrevated protesters.
I know you are a british copper, so please don't take it personally that I compared "you" to the american police
I think what you say is fair enough. I guess it's difficult on the Caf really as often people want an opinion from a policing perspective yet when you give one you'll still get a large number of posters who will hurl abuse as opposed to engaging in meaningful discussion or trying to understand the points being made.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt. There's good police officers in the United States and there's good people in amongst the violent protests whom are likely trying to calm matters down. The point I made regarding the video was to try and get others to see the bigger picture. Obviously I've upset some by doing this which was really not my intention. I do think I have been pretty clear in saying driving through any crowd so recklessly is wrong though and it's certainly not something I advocate doing.

I wouldn't be shocked if they are trained to use more severe tactics than other countries.
I most often look at police officers as some of the best people in society, but in the US there seems to a ton of them who have severe issues with how they handle situations.

From what I remember I think there was a TV show in Norway some years ago where there was a cop from the US talking to cops in Norway and they were shocked that any firearms were left in the car (if they had them at all) and that just about every solution was de-escalated through communication.
It was touched on earlier about the strong military roots within American society and policing. I guess it's easy to see how all this spirals out of control when you add racism and prejudice to the mix.

Carolina Red

Staff
I personally think there's nothing wrong with the tactics / training of the police officer.

The same tactics would not have resulted in Floyd's death without the same malice intention, it's the man, not the system. You can change the system as you like racist cops will find flaws to exploit anyways.

Fix the humans, not the system I'd say.
On the other hand, when I put my knee on a wrestler's neck, we are on a padded wrestling mat and I only do it for a second or two so I can do something else.

I would say that police might not need to be teaching to do that on a street or sidewalk for any length of time.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
That’s not what I said - which is why I said I hope it stays civil.

If this progressed to rioting - that’s would be ridiculous. You don’t riot in the UK / against UK establishment of injustice in the US!

Black lives matter everywhere and people have the right to protest, not use it as an excuse to assemble a mob and trash a city/country totally unrelated to the incident.
How can a BLM rally in the UK be totally unrelated to the killing of George Floyd in the US? This is why the unrest in the US is a good thing. Because people assume that just because things are calm in the UK that we don't have a similar problem.

Is that what you're suggesting? Are you saying that because things haven't kicked off in the UK, black people must be on to a good gig here?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Correct, there is no similarity whatsoever. Plus any police brutality in the UK isn't racially aggravated as it seems in the US.

From what I have witnessed around my way the police are pretty pleasant when arresting people even when said people are resisting arrest. (Not me before anyone assassinates me) also I'm sure there are instances when this is different round here but unfortunately all walks of life have knobheads.
I wouldn't say its on the same level, but there are certainly similarities, just not nearly enough to say we deal with the same stuff they do over there.

I've been arrested purely for being mixed race. They were looking for another mixed race guy, and decided purely because I was mixed race that was a good enough reason to drag me into a van. I can guarantee no white person has ever been arrested in the UK on a description of purely skin colour and nothing else.

As a kid whenever police would stop our group of friends it was always me that was suspected of causing the issues in a group of 10-15 people, me being the only mixed race or black person there.

There are countless other examples where UK police have used race to target people, so yes while I accept its not on the same level as America, I'll never accept we don't have some of the same problems running through our police as well.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm curious as to what the UK training in this situation is if you don't mind ?
When I first started you were taught to place your knee on someone's traps/shoulder area when completing a ground-pin with colleagues and applying handcuffs.

In the past 5 years or so that's gone away though and there's far more training on positional asphyxiation and how to look after your detainees health as opposed to restraint techniques.

Carolina Red

Staff
The woman shot with the rubber bullet. (Don't look if you're squeamish)...

Yeah... that's not going to lead to fewer cop cars being torched.

I believe I read that she's been permanently blinded in that eye... or that might have been another unfortunate woman. I saw several with head wounds last night due to rubber bullets.

TheReligion

Abusive

I guess it's something if you were fighting for you life you could do but it seems to be being used in the US to routinely control suspects on the floor when they aren't going anywhere or presenting any risk. That's the concern for me.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Their behavior was very different, the black blocs attacked the police and everyone else, throwing rocks and using crow bars. Also the yellow vests are a bunch of cnuts, they fight each others and everyone else too.

The french police is far from perfect but lets not use yellow vests and black blocs as examples, if you want a good example of how cnutish the french police can be you have the firefighters protests.
I’m using yellow vest to cover that whole time. The police were totally out of control. You saw the video of the woman here in Lyon who was filming a protest from her 3rd floor balcony, and the police shot a rubber bullet at her? Or the sickening number of peaceful protesters who lost eyes to face level shots? Or the guy they took under an underpass and beat the shit out of?

They have been out of control for over a year now, and nothing justifies it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What has shocked me is how violent the police have been even when they know they are being filmed.

TheReligion

Abusive
no. only on limbs.
Moving forward i think academies will focus more on this. I remember doing a lot of grappling techniques in the matroom which is padded, but maybe in the future i would recommend training on actual concrete/hardfloor? Just to show recruits how painful and uncomfortable it is having weight on you in a prone position.
Maybe I'm soft but I train BJJ and some other techniques and even on the mat knee on belly always hurts. Putting your whole bodyweight though something as sharp as your knee is going to cause problems especially if you place it somewhere the restricts breathing.

Do you do much work on positional asphyxiation?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
What has shocked me is how violent the police have been even when they know they are being filmed.
They have a president who gave an actual war criminal a pardon and feted him at the White House. Why would they need to worry?

TheReligion

Abusive
I think the cheek of picking him up after pushing him down riled me more than actually pushing him down did.
It was a different officer. They saw their colleague knock him over then ran across to help the old guy back up and check he was okay.