5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroStu

Yesterday was the first game really where he actually had any clear cut chances, i mean he hit the bar in the last game but he hadn't really had any clear chances or shots before yesterday which is strange with the way we are playing at the moment.

Anyway i hope we see Falcao and Rooney up top with Mata or Januzaj behind, maybe even DiMaria when Carrick comes back. The less we see of Van persie the better at the moment for me.

Last edited:

Sam

I think the Falcao/Hernandez comparisons are actually quite apt, judging from his first four games for us.

People need to start talking about the current Falcao, and judging him on current performances, not going on about a player from 2 years ago. It just sounds a bit desperate.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I think the Falcao/Hernandez comparisons are actually quite apt, judging from his first four games for us.

People need to start talking about the current Falcao, and judging him on current performances, not going on about a player from 2 years ago. It just sounds a bit desperate.
But you have to keep in mind that Falcao have been performing on a level that Hernandez never have. Sure, he might never be the player he once was, but hopefully that goal will releave some of the pressure. You could easily see he was desperate for a goal yesterday

Sam

But you have to keep in mind that Falcao have been performing on a level that Hernandez never have. Sure, he might never be the player he once was, but hopefully that goal will releave some of the pressure. You could easily see he was desperate for a goal yesterday
So far I just see a lot of straw clutching about a player that was amazing 2 years ago. So far, we haven't seen anything close to that. Is that to say he won't ever be that player again? Of course not, none of us know. But I'd rather evaluate the performances he has given, rather then the ones he might sometime in the future.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

He's still a new player though, who will be adjusting to the league and settling into the a new side. Not to make lots of excuses for him, but he's ultimately only played a few games for us and can only be partly judged based on that. If he doesn't look particularly great come January then you'd have a point, but I think it's way too early to begin saying that the "current" Falcao is the type of player he really is.

Sam

He's still a new player though, who will be adjusting to the league and settling into the a new side. Not to make lots of excuses for him, but he's ultimately only played a few games for us and can only be partly judged based on that. If he doesn't look particularly great come January then you'd have a point, but I think it's way too early to begin saying that the "current" Falcao is the type of player he really is.
That doesn't seem to be a problem for the likes of Costa, Di Maria and Herrera. I just think people are seeing what they want to see because he's a muppet signing.

Look, don't get me wrong, I love him passion and the joy he showed after scoring, and I desperately want him to be amazing for us. The thought of having the 2012 Falcao playing for us is unbelievably exciting. But I'm just calling it as I see it, and thats that he's been a bit meh for us so far. The way he was shanking shots yesterday was the kind of thing that Welbeck/Hernandez used to get slaughtered on here for, but because its Radamel Falcao its just ignored.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The Hernandez comparisons are meant as a compliment! They were from me anyway.

Chicarito's movement in the box in his first season was absolutely sensational. It's rare to find strikers with such a natural gift for finding space in a crowded box and it's incredibly valuable. Gary Lineker made a bloody good career based on having that one attribute and not a lot else, ditto Inzaghi.

Falcao does seem to have a bit more in his locker, though, which we've seen with his two assists and generally decent hold up play. So long as he keeps getting on the end of stuff in and around the six yard box, though, he'll score a lot of goals for us.

Tarrou

That doesn't seem to be a problem for the likes of Costa, Di Maria and Herrera. I just think people are seeing what they want to see because he's a muppet signing.

Look, don't get me wrong, I love him passion and the joy he showed after scoring, and I desperately want him to be amazing for us. The thought of having the 2012 Falcao playing for us is unbelievably exciting. But I'm just calling it as I see it, and thats that he's been a bit meh for us so far. The way he was shanking shots yesterday was the kind of thing that Welbeck/Hernandez used to get slaughtered on here for, but because its Radamel Falcao its just ignored.
People are rightly giving him some breathing space which is pretty standard for a new player. He's recently getting over a major injury so you can expect some rustiness, and therefore some improvement too. I'm enjoying the optimism around him personally, it makes a change from the constant whinging about the other players.

Dumbat12

So far I just see a lot of straw clutching about a player that was amazing 2 years ago. So far, we haven't seen anything close to that. Is that to say he won't ever be that player again? Of course not, none of us know. But I'd rather evaluate the performances he has given, rather then the ones he might sometime in the future.
2 assists, 1 goal in 3 matches when he didn't play full minutes in all 3. So practically, if you combine the minutes he played, it's almost 2 full matches. That's not good enough for you? I get the feeling you expect Falcao to score goals like Ronaldo...

The Red Thinker

He's not as big as Robin for example but he's as strong as an ox or some other cloven-hooved. It's amazing how good his first touch is and how he manages to defend the ball from attacking defenders.
He's stronger than RVP on the ball. You will rarely see Falcao get pushed off the ball. RVP moves tippy toed so he's susceptible to losing possession, Falcao has just enough Centre of gravity to stave off physical defenders.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

He's still been fairly good though, hasn't he? Perhaps not as good as someone like Costa, but his performances overall have been decent and he's managed to grab a goal now as well. For a new player, I'd say that's a decent start.

The Red Thinker

Two years ago?? What are you on about? He's only been at Monaco one year. He ended at Athletico in May last year and scores 28 goals. He then scored 11 in 20 for Monaco before getting injured for 6 months. Stop exaggerating.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He has come out of a piss weak league and half a season out injured, he is going to be rusty.

It's his own fault, he shouldn't of been anywhere near the french league.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He has come out of a piss weak league and half a season out injured, he is going to be rusty.

It's his own fault, he shouldn't of been anywhere near the french league.
It wasn't out of choice, he had to move to Monaco because he was sold to them by the fund that brought him to Atletico in the first place. He's probably relieved to finally be at one of the top 5 biggest clubs in Europe.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Really happy he got his first goal. He can now kick on. I'd like to see a combo of

Falcao-Rooney
---Mata---

RvP looks lost at times
We would all love to see that

Shame we won't ever see that because It appears RVP is exempt from being dropped :confused:

Kag

I agree with a fair bit of what you're saying in this thread. I think his goal has saved him from a bit of a hiding, because if we're all honest, his football has been underwhelming and his finishing a tad rusty. He's clearly a good player with outrageously good movement, but I've nothing special elsewhere as of yet. Still lots of time, however, and I trust he'll do very well here. I have flickers of Andriy Shevchenko in the back of my head and I hope he removes them as soon as possible.

Mali_Zeus

I agree with a fair bit of what you're saying in this thread. I think his goal has saved him from a bit of a hiding, because if we're all honest, his football has been underwhelming and his finishing a tad rusty. He's clearly a good player with outrageously good movement, but I've nothing special elsewhere as of yet. Still lots of time, however, and I trust he'll do very well here. I have flickers of Andriy Shevchenko in the back of my head and I hope he removes them as soon as possible.
Sure he missed a few chances and wasnt special but his football wasnt underwhelming, it was very good. More to follow I'm sure.

Ibi Dreams

His play has actually been better than I thought it would be in general. Having rarely watched him, I've been pleasantly surprised by his all round play given that he is usually described as a lethal finisher and not a lot else. The turn and cross he set up RVP with was magic, really intelligent and brilliantly executed.

Kag

Sure he missed a few chances and wasnt special but his football wasnt underwhelming, it was very good. More to follow I'm sure.
True. He's had good moments and his hold up play is good but I think I'd still expect more from a player that could well cost over £40 million come the summer. As you say, though, I'm sure more will follow, definitely.

Mali_Zeus

True. He's had good moments and his hold up play is good but I think I'd still expect more from a player that could well cost over £40 million come the summer. As you say, though, I'm sure more will follow, definitely.

Early days, I saw glimpses of a very good if not brilliant player as he used to be.

No reason to call him new Shevcenko or compare him to Welbeck or Chicharito. And he did come back form an injury so comparisons with Herrera, Costa and Di Maria arent precise too. I dont mean you said all that, other posters did so I just added. :)

Sam

Thats basically my issue. Right now, he doesn't look like a player that should cost anything near that amount.

I'm not saying that wont change, just saying that as of right now, thats how it is.

Early days, I saw glimpses of a very good if not brilliant player as he used to be.

No reason to call him new Shevcenko or compare him to Welbeck or Chicharito. And he did come back form an injury so comparisons with Herrera, Costa and Di Maria arent precise too. I dont mean you said all that, other posters did so I just added. :)
Costa's been on/off injured ever since the end of last season. According to Mouriniho he's barely able to train inbetween matches. Doesn't seem to be holding him back does it?

Mali_Zeus

Costa's been on/off injured ever since the end of last season. According to Mouriniho he's barely able to train inbetween matches. Doesn't seem to be holding him back does it?
He hasnt been so long off the field as Falcao as I know.

Some people seem to be a bit impatient. 3 games and he's a flop, he's meh and whatnot.

And as far as I know we didnt pay him 40 mil., he's currently on loan for 16.

Sam

He hasnt been so long off the field as Falcao as I know.

Some people seem to be a bit impatient. 3 games and he's a flop, he's meh and whatnot.

And as far as I know we didnt pay him 40 mil., he's currently on loan for 16.
Where have I said he's a flop?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Shevchenko's a great comparison. I'm wholly unconvinced at the moment and I think people are clutching at straws when they talk about his all round contribution outside of the goals because it's been fine but nothing special. The team is nowhere near top form and we're still trying to find the right attacking combinations so it wouldn't be a massive surprise to see him kick it up a couple of notches, but so far he's doing the bare minimum to stay in the team. People talking about him playing well are doing him a disservice because he was genuinely world class at Atletico and has been nowhere near that thus far.

Sam

Shevchenko's a great comparison. I'm wholly unconvinced at the moment and I think people are clutching at straws when they talk about his all round contribution outside of the goals because it's been fine but nothing special. The team is nowhere near top form and we're still trying to find the right attacking combinations so it wouldn't be a massive surprise to see him kick it up a couple of notches, but so far he's doing the bare minimum to stay in the team. People talking about him playing well are doing him a disservice because he was genuinely world class at Atletico and has been nowhere near that thus far.
Basically, this.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Christ. He's played barely 200 minutes of football for us.

He's in a new team, in a new League and working his way back to match fitness. What were you expecting?

Redo91

Christ. He's played barely 200 minutes of football for us.

He's in a new team, in a new League and working his way back to match fitness. What were you expecting?
This. People were expecting miracles judging by the reactions on here. Imagine if he hadn't hit the crossbar against Leicester. He would have scored a wonder goal and everyone would be saying what an amazing player he is. Give him time.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Most players require time to adjust to a new life in England both on and off the pitch. He came here with no preseason and is now suddenly in our starting 11, getting used to players he's never played with before.

However, I don't think there's any question that he's our number 1 striker now and if we play any system that requires just the one up front, he has to be it.

Raw

Apparently Falcao should have scored 5 goals by now to not be a flop. He has contributed to 3 goals in 200 or so minutes in his first year in PL football after a long recovery from injury. Give him time before you come to conclusions.

Dumbat12

Apparently Falcao should have scored 5 goals by now to not be a flop. He has contributed to 3 goals in 200 or so minutes in his first year in PL football after a long recovery from injury. Give him time before you come to conclusions.
Exactly. I don't get what you guys are expecting. Ronaldo's goal output or something? Falcao has been substituted in all of the matches that he has played and he still managed to assist two goals and score one. If you expected him to score like Messi or Ronaldo, then prepare to be dissapointed.

IMO, considering he just came from a serious injury, in a new team and hasn't even played a full match yet, he has done very good.

Hal9000

Tbh one of my main complaints with Van Persie in his first two seasons that sometimes he would shank shots and miss sitters, before he actually scored. I think watching Costa the other week he was similar. The difference is they have the mental strength to keep going. I think, as Van Gaal said, he's probably trying a bit to hard to get that first goal.

Secondly, as pointed out on match of the day, both Van Persie and Falcao are both used to being the only number 9 in the squad. Sometimes it reduces space for both of them as they go for similar positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.