Raheem Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Not looking like a £50 million player. Woy will still start him with Rooney and Welbeck at the Euros though.
Hart
Walker - Cahill - Jagielka - Baines
Milner - Henderson - Lallana
Welbeck - Rooney - Sterling
:drool:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Not looking like a £50 million player.
Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So, Told You So.

I didn't want to say I told you so, but I bust my load. Sorry. :)

Walters_19_MuFc

His price tag was always going to come up if he didn't score and assist week in week out, unfortunately. However, his general play does need to improve. Don't know whether it's confidence or not, but he's playing nothing like what we saw when he was at Liverpool. The talent is definitely there, though. Just needs to add more consistency to his game.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
His best football for us came as a number 10 behind two strikers in a diamond formation, not on the wing.

It seems like it's unlikely he'll get to play there for City so they'll have to hope his form picks up out wide.

He was never going to live up to that price tag straight away.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Makes me wonder if the likes of Barkley and Ali are as good as the hype.

Devil81

No end product, I'd be really frustrated if I was a City fan. You could see Aguero was reluctant to give him the ball near the end of that match, instead he opted to take a pot shot from a stupid angle.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He's a very talented player. I think it's just a matter of time until he comes good, Guardiola will sort him out.
His problem is his mentality and shooting ability. He needs to be much more hungrier and aggressive.. and work on his shooting technique. He is a lazy player who doesn't go up the gears and plays it safe.

Once he stops worrying about hairstyles and learns how to win games and want to win games.. I'm sure he'll be fine. Classic case of young footballer who rose through ranks early and is coasting atm. Upto him to get out of that rut and become England's star player.

I wouldn't rule him out becoming a quality player in next few years. Flip side he could slide into mediocrity and be a perrenial bench player for a big side and collect wages and trophies.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
Not looking like a £50 million player. Woy will still start him with Rooney and Welbeck at the Euros though.
I thought he looked pretty good today, but in patches rather than consistently. Compared to Martial, guess Martial scores goals, but Sterling is English (home grown status). I'd be guessing they're not too worried about that £50M investment.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Makes me wonder if the likes of Barkley and Ali are as good as the hype.
Don't want to sound anti-English, I love being an Englishman. But when it comes to football there is no 'decent' English footballer. Hasn't been for nearly two decades when it comes to international tournaments. That includes Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, etc. Barkley and Alli don't even have a fraction of the talent of those three players I just mentioned. That says it all. This country is not conducive to producing any international class players (beyond the hype anyway) and this won't change in my lifetime.

Impulse

Welbeck would be in the team on merit, he's been our best player for about three years.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's a very talented player. I think it's just a matter of time until he comes good, Guardiola will sort him out.
I think he's a lot like Gotze (with a lot less talent) and Guardiola seemingly hasn't sorted him out.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
For a winger he is a poor crosser. Never ever looks threatening.
He's not really a winger. Always looked better centrally for Liverpool.

Agree he's a poor crosser, though.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
That includes Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, etc.
Bit harsh. Three excellent players, just a midfield consisting of Lampard and Gerrard was never going to work. Scholes would have been the perfect partner for Gerrard with Lampard playing more advanced (he was never a proper CM anyway, which is why him in a midfield two was ridiculous).

Also, that England side had some more very good players. Rio, Cole, Terry, young Rooney -- genuinely excellent players. Hugely underachieved, all the same. That match against Brazil summed it all up. Take the lead through Owen, concede seconds later (Rivaldo?), Brazil get a man sent off, and England still lose... to a free kick that til this day I don't think Ronaldinho meant. fecking Seaman.

Hammerfell

He'll need to up his game when Guardiola comes in or he'll find himself out the door sharpish, there'll be no place for luxury players.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
He'll need to up his game when Guardiola comes in or he'll find himself out the door sharpish, there'll be no place for luxury players.
They were talking about that on Sunday Supplement, going through the City squad analysing who Guardiola would want to keep and it's a short list. No room for any of the full backs, Mangala, Fernando, Toure etc. There were even doubts cast over an ageing David Silva who is 30 now. Sterling might find himself converted into a number 10 as a replacement for Silva if Guardiola sees the potential for him in that role. He really was fantastic playing behind Suarez and Sturridge in the 13/14 season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He has been one of their better players in Europe this season.

saivet

Seems like he has not lived up to the high expectations this season, but has still done a solid job.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
If he gets played as a number 10 behind a striker he'll flourish. He's completely wasted on the wings.

Walters_19_MuFc

So happy for him. Hasn't been great recently, but really stepped it up tonight, which was a massive game for City.

I still rate the lad highly, decent start to the season and has been of his high standards of late, don't know if he is suited to pellegrinis 442. I have a feeling he will flourish under pep.
Pellegrini has very rarely used a 442 this season.

RustyS

I still rate the lad highly, decent start to the season and has been of his high standards of late, don't know if he is suited to pellegrinis 442. I have a feeling he will flourish under pep.
If he gets played as a number 10 behind a striker he'll flourish. He's completely wasted on the wings.
His finishing is too inconsistent to be as effective under Pep on the wing (in a 4-3-3) as he would like him to be. Same for him as a number 10. He is young and might improve obviously.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Seems like he has not lived up to the high expectations this season, but has still done a solid job.
Any blue with a brain (cue the witty riposte) would not expect the second coming in the first season at City but an inconsistent lad whose upside is great. Great games, frustrating performances and huge promise in equal measure.

That's what we're getting with Sterling and I'm sure that increasing experience and top class coaching will see him add consistency to his game and his price tag will just be an irrelevant detail in the greater scheme of things.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
He's there to accommodate others like Silva.
Guardiola's fluid formations and overloads will bring the best out of him.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
That's what we're getting with Sterling and I'm sure that increasing experience and top class coaching will see him add consistency to his game
Right so basically DON'T play for Man City then! Pep will bring in top class players now who don't need coaching to reach that level.

SWP says hi.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He's there to accommodate others like Silva.
Guardiola's fluid formations and overloads will bring the best out of him.
I think so. I felt that his best season so far was his breakout one where he shined with Sturridge and Suarez at Liverpool, and I felt that front 3 was given quite a bit of a license to exchange position and be as fluid as possible. This was done in a not so structured way (whereas Pep's fluid formations usually fit in with quite a solid plan), so I also think he'll improve under Pep

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I think so. I felt that his best season so far was his breakout one where he shined with Sturridge and Suarez at Liverpool, and I felt that front 3 was given quite a bit of a license to exchange position and be as fluid as possible. This was done in a not so structured way (whereas Pep's fluid formations usually fit in with quite a solid plan), so I also think he'll improve under Pep
To add to that, I think part of his struggles this season are where he's been made to play as an orthodox left winger, tasked with providing width for City rather than being allowed to make runs beyond the defence, and play like he did at his best for Liverpool. He's not an exceptional dribbler, so he's been found wanting when having to play 1v1 against a right back in a defence sitting deep. He'll definitely improve for City going forward. Hopefully we see him at his best in the Euros too.

iHicksy

Don't want to sound anti-English, I love being an Englishman. But when it comes to football there is no 'decent' English footballer. Hasn't been for nearly two decades when it comes to international tournaments. That includes Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, etc. Barkley and Alli don't even have a fraction of the talent of those three players I just mentioned. That says it all. This country is not conducive to producing any international class players (beyond the hype anyway) and this won't change in my lifetime.
Erm, Owen? Beckham? Ashley Cole? They would have walked into any team in the world in their prime based purely on performances for England...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Right so basically DON'T play for Man City then! Pep will bring in top class players now who don't need coaching to reach that level.

SWP says hi.
I know you're ardent to see Sterling fail, but do you really believe that?

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Hope he can really kick on under Guardiola. Technically raw at times but he was refreshingly positive and inventive alongside Suarez. Great to watch.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I still get the feeling he will always be an overhyped player that will never really have a great career. Just like Sturridge people have amplified his abilities based on playing alongside the worlds best striker (Suarez) who could turn just about any player into an beast. He's got flashy dribbling but goes hiding too often and could hit a barn door

Status
Not open for further replies.