2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Imagine a world where our forwards don't just cut in and shoot all the time but try to find this fella in the penalty box.

Red00012

Delighted for him , another 1 at the weekend followed by a winner at Wembley would be fantastic

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
So many people on here don’t understand football outside of the last game or acknowledge form or confidence. No coincidence when Bruno starts to find him things happen for him. I hope both can stay fit and develop the chemistry next season. It was sorely lacking this year, for Rashford too but he was lazy. I felt sorry for Rasmus, easily Bruno’s worst season here. Our attackers live or die on whether Bruno shows up. We need to up the creativity in the side majorly.

city-puma

This is the second proper CF goal he scored for us. Really pleased for him! We should continue to bring him in from bench and he might have more chances to face the goal.

L1nk

The thread is all quiet tonight, can't wait for the next goalless match where our joint top scorer of the season will be labelled the shittest signing of all time

Captmfla

Amazing goal scored by a striker. The goal is almost totally due to individual brilliance!

LDUred

Some of the criticism levelled at him has been insane in recent weeks, like comparing him to Wout. No matter how much he's struggled since his return to injury, those kind of comments lack any kind of perspective.

tentan

Poor man's poster.

Imagine a world where our forwards don't just cut in and shoot all the time but try to find this fella in the penalty box.
So that makes him better than Haaland?

NZT-One

I didn't like his celebration today but I am not sure, what exactly is behind it. The Shushh-thingy seems a little odd, not like he had the greatest of seasons or anything. I didn't expect him to have but I am a bit worried that he thinks the odd conter goal to make it 9 in a season is going to rectify something. The kid should just continue to work hard and listen to his coaches. More than enough for him to learn.

L1nk

I didn't like his celebration today but I am not sure, what exactly is behind it. The Shushh-thingy seems a little odd, not like he had the greatest of seasons or anything. I didn't expect him to have but I am a bit worried that he thinks the odd conter goal to make it 9 in a season is going to rectify something. The kid should just continue to work hard and listen to his coaches. More than enough for him to learn.
You've got it all wrong, it's because of that Luckhurst article the other day that said his team mates thought he was shit and that's why they aren't passing to him.

caid

You've got it all wrong, it's because of that Luckhurst article the other day that said his team mates thought he was shit and that's why they aren't passing to him.
He should be blanking it. Luckhurst's ramblings dont warrant a reply. He should care what his manager and team mates think, everything beyond that is just noise.

criticalanalysis

He should be blanking it. Luckhurst's ramblings dont warrant a reply. He should care what his manager and team mates think, everything beyond that is just noise.
He should in a perfect world but it doesn't mean much and if it gives him some fire or a fun bit of release, more power to him. It's petty but footballers finding that passion to 'answer' to critics is not exactly a new thing and countless best players in the world have done it and will continue too. I'm generalising of course but footballers are wired differently and don't have the sit-at-home-on-the-couch rationality that we may have when writing posts on a forum.

If it was a 'response' to Luckhurst then I don't mind a celebration like this at all because the article hit piece can be toxic. The media have had their fun with Utd the past 11 years and rightly so because we've been a shambles but that doesn't mean you take every jab on the chin. Controlling the narrative is part and parcel of the game unfortunately and in the absence of Fergie, who was a master of this, I wouldn't just say 'keep your head down'. Especially for a player like Hojlund, who despite his inconsistencies has shown the right work ethic and attitude.

I know it's off tangent but ETH not calling out poor VAR calls, decisions etc last and this year may have cost us in ways we don't know. He's been 'better' recently but it's too little, too late. Having a chip on your shoulder is not a bad thing when channelled right.

Last edited:

caid

He should in a perfect world but it doesn't mean much and if it gives him some fire or a fun bit of release, more power to him. It's petty but footballers finding that passion to 'answer' to critics is not exactly a new thing and countless best players in the world have done it and will continue too. I'm generalising of course but footballers are wired differently and don't have the sit-at-home-on-the-couch rationality that we may have when writing posts on a forum.

If it was a 'response' to Luckhurst then I don't mind a celebration like this at all because the article hit piece can be toxic. The media have had their fun with Utd the past 11 years and rightly so because we've been a shambles but that doesn't mean you take every jab on the chin. Controlling the narrative is part and parcel of the game unfortunately and in the absence of Fergie, who was a master of this, I wouldn't just say 'keep your head down'. Especially for a player like Hojlund, who despite his inconsistencies has shown the right work ethic and attitude.

I know it's off tangent but ETH not calling out poor VAR calls, decisions etc last and this year may have cost us in ways we don't know. He's been 'better' recently but it's too little, too late. Having a chip on your shoulder is not a bad thing when channelled right.
Yeah, you're not wrong. I just think theres a tidal wave of scrutiny and comment around players these days. I wouldn't be critical of them reacting to it but I'd be trying to create a bit of an island from it where they're focused on what i want them focused on to the exclusion of all else nearly. Its very much perfect scenario nitpicking

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That’s exactly what he needs to do more - take responsibility. Enough to this scrappy wrestling matches with defenders. At this club you have to show individual class.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He overperformed this season to what I expected. Honestly he seems very good at simply scoring goals. However, I do believe he's the guy who has been on the extreme lucky side so I want to see him doing that again next season.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Well taken goal yesterday. He needs help and it's our responsibility to get a first choice striker to ease the pressure on him while he develops. Then let's see how it goes.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I’m pretty sure he was looking at the away fans and shushing them, but could be wrong.

Assuming there was some sort of chant that they did to justify it.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Replying to noise by putting the ball in the net shows strength imo. Hopefully the ramblings of more mad men prove as the fuel he needs to continue his progression in front of goal.

Marwood

That’s exactly what he needs to do more - take responsibility. Enough to this scrappy wrestling matches with defenders. At this club you have to show individual class.
I think the manager and team need to realise this.

We've got a quick, strong willing runner up top but we're playing him like he's John Hartson.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Was glad to see the kid net.... Must have pissed off quite a few caftards

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Haaland is having a poor season if you compare goals scored vs xG, Rasmus is doing much better. If we swapped them then Rasmus would've scored 27 goals vs Haaland 20 (non pen) this season if we extrapolate based on xG (obviously this model is flawed as the key metric long term is how much xG a striker accumulates, not conversion rate).
I still think his scoring form is not sustainable (he's a bit on the lucky side) but so far the evidence is against that claim for sure, so happy with that.

Dan_F

It was directed at the away fans. Not everything is a subliminal message, it was a response to them chatting shite for the whole game I’m sure.

Schmeichels pinky

He tired them out for over 80 minutes.
Oh, like Hojlund in all the other games?
The problem is that nearly every time Hojlund gets a pass he has two strong CFs on his back and the best case is a layoff to a midfielder. If we keep playing like yesterday with much more intensity, structure and dynamic positions he’ll score a lot more. This wasn’t even a chance until he made it one himself.

Credit for the goal even if the keeper should have saved it.
Would’ve been a world class save as he saw it very late.

He overperformed this season to what I expected. Honestly he seems very good at simply scoring goals. However, I do believe he's the guy who has been on the extreme lucky side so I want to see him doing that again next season.
Lucky? He had two or three very well taken goals ruled out by VAR in the first games and hasn’t had anything to work with since. How’s that lucky?

dogwithabone

Considering his injuries and the ineptness of those around him he’s had a very good season. If we can keep him fit and get better delivery in to him no reason why he can’t get 20 next season. Desperately need another top class striker though to share the workload.

Mike Smalling

Yeah, and one where we had good fullbacks that can overlap to create space for those wide forward and also put in good crosses themselves. Our chance creation in general has been very poor.

I wouldn't be surprised if Højlund gets 20 next season, if we have more luck with injuries and more consistency in the team.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I still find this to be the weirdest of all the player performance threads. Hojlund is so often judged without context in it that it's hard to take the dissenting posts seriously.

He's a non-prodigious youngster in a chaotic team with no mentoring lead and a supporting line that doesn't pass to him. He is literally being forced to learn the ropes of the position on his own out there against a superior level of competition to any he's faced in his career. It's a lot for him to take on board, yet he's scrutinised like he's come here as a red hot striker who knows his game and position inside out.

There's also the issue of our wide men looking more for goal than to find him, especially so in making diagonal runs towards goal and cutting off his angles. It takes a certain level of experience and nous to know how to reposition oneself if nobody is directly looking for you, and even more so if your space is being encroached upon. If his instincts and training up until this point in his career has been to make his own diagonal runs or cuts across the CB towards near posts as a trigger to the WF picking up the ball, he's having to re-learn that whole side of his game and that's really not easy to do, especially when you're on your own without a striking mentor in the squad.

He has his own issues specifically in regards to the game any striker should have, namely his first touch and layoffs, but it seems like people want to judge him for the issues with others as well as his own game all smushed into one, which is ridiculously harsh as a chunk of this is coaching and tactical failing, which should not be put on the player - those wing forwards have to be doing better in relation to their striker, for example, unless they are supreme scorers themselves to which the whole team is catered, ala C.Ron, Salah or even Rashford when he's in one of his form phases.

Rasmus really needs a good preseason of training and labbing over the summer; the age he is, strikers tend to make leaps in portions, so it's genuinely bonkers to me that there's a line of thinking that this kid is at capacity and that this is all he'll be as a forward for the remainder of his career. He has been failed by a lot of things this season and it's bizarre to see those things disregarded. How many young, lead the line strikers are at big clubs and in this kind of predicament? How many have no older mentor or veteran load-sharing with them? And how are they doing in light of that?

Oranges038

15 goals in an injury hit first season with limited supply coming to him is a really good return.

Hopefully he can bag a couple more at the weekend and in the cup final.

There's a player in there, I think over time he'll come good.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Well taken goal and a good point by Rooney post-match about shooting through the defenders legs, nightmare for a goalie. Also could have ended up with an assist at the end. Looked fresh which was great.

NZT-One

Didn't know about that article. Then I can somewhat understand it, even though I'd prefer him and the club finding ways to "shield" him from such stuff. Obviously, if it fires him on, then power to the people but lets be honest, good chances that he will encounter other dry periods. If criticism from the media gets to him, it is going to be a problem for him mostly.

Yeah makes sense.

I’m pretty sure he was looking at the away fans and shushing them, but could be wrong.

Assuming there was some sort of chant that they did to justify it.
It was directed at the away fans. Not everything is a subliminal message, it was a response to them chatting shite for the whole game I’m sure.
If something came from the away end and he responded to that, then I retract my initial statement.

---------
edit: Just for the record: I am happy with him and his first season. I like his attitude and I hope he will kick on next season. The club should get a little pressure off him by bringing in another striker to be able to stand in for him in the odd game.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Lucky? He had two or three very well taken goals ruled out by VAR in the first games and hasn’t had anything to work with since. How’s that lucky?
Ruled out goals have no impact whatsoever on the stats I mentioned. I am talking about his conversion rate (simplified term as this is in reference to accumulated xG) which is on the extreme positive end and players rarely keep this form running. Haaland didn't keep his conversion rate going in his second season for example.

Schmeichels pinky

Ruled out goals have no impact whatsoever on the stats I mentioned. I am talking about his conversion rate (simplified term as this is in reference to accumulated xG) which is on the extreme positive end and players rarely keep this form running. Haaland didn't keep his conversion rate going in his second season for example.
Oh, I see. I agree with that of course. But looking at his finishing quality I’m sure his conversion rate will be very good the coming seasons