Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

I think PSG will let us do all the bargaining, just match our accepted bid, and offer the player better personal terms. Just a great way to get a good deal plus sign the player.
Doesn't mean he'll accept it though.

Real Name

People just seem to accept this one uncritically every single time. Not even from the mouth of the player but reported by third parties.
Of course its not from the mouth of the player. Do you expect him to say that in this moment?
If multiple sources are saying this then there's probably some truth in it.

Bertie Wooster

A little nervous about the news, however confusing, of a potential rival bid from PSG. And of Hojlund reportedly agreeing terms with them as well.

Hopefully the other reports, that PSG won't put in a higher bid and Hojlund still prefers us, are true as I'm really wanting us to get this deal done now - not just because he's clearly our main target, but also because I've really warmed to him over the last few weeks and prefer the idea of signing him ahead of all the other attainable / affordable alternatives people mention (so excluding Kane).

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m not certain if he’s the right man but willing to trust Ten Hag. Just hope either way we get it wrapped up soon. Would be good to at least get a pre-season game out of him to try integrate him into the side.

Blood Mage

Laurie Whitwell is saying that United will be patient with Hojlund and won't make him a automatic starter straight away, with Rashford playing as the central striker and Hojlund playing on the left wing.

I assume playing on the RW could also be a option.
That would be a bit mental, why play them both out of position? Hojlund has never played on the wing before.

doomy20

That would be a bit mental, why play them both out of position? Hojlund has never played on the wing before.
Just by seeing clips of him I already know that I NEVER want to see this man on the wing. We bought wingers worth 220M, make them do their job. For Hojlund: No out of position play, no experiments. We need - and ONLY need - a number 9 central goal/assisting machine, not more, not less.

Jev

Laurie Whitwell is saying that United will be patient with Hojlund and won't make him a automatic starter straight away, with Rashford playing as the central striker and Hojlund playing on the left wing.

Horrible idea, he'd be a terrible winger. It makes sense to start Rashford as a striker– but only if it means Højlund starting as a sub.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I can’t wait to see him bulldoze a flashed ball across the 6 yard box into the net with a random body part. He’s a tank.

Any ball that breaks backwards from a situation like that is also easy pickings for players like Mount Bruno Sancho Antony and Rashford.

He’s also fast enough to run in behind. He’ll consistently pull defenders back towards goal which is good news for Antony with his curler shot, Bruno and Mount with their accuracy from just outside the box.

This is going to be a lovely signing. I can feel it

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Does this strengthen our hand? Atalanta could have played us off vs PSG, but if they are categorically not going any higher, maybe our offer of 50+10 get's it done? We shouldn't go back with anything higher now, maybe at a push 50+15 but the worry of PSG blowing us out the water is now gone.
I think the player as a massive say aswell and since he’s a boyhood fan I’d say he wants to join us only.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Horrible idea, he'd be a terrible winger. It makes sense to start Rashford as a striker– but only if it means Højlund starting as a sub.
He wouldn't be playing as a winger but rather a inside forward. There's a difference.

But it's a moot point because Whitwell seems to be speculating about where he might play whilst he's adapting to the league and rotates with Rashford upfront.

Bertie Wooster

I think it's likely that Hojlund will be eased in a little as our out and out #9 - so sharing duties with the likes of Rashford, and Martial for the rare games that he's available; starting some games from the left or right, and others from the bench, etc.

However I'm not sure how much ETH will have actually briefed these journalists on our plans for a player that we haven't even signed yet, and might not even end up signing. Though he may have just answered in general terms about young player, easing him in, fluid attacking system, etc. But that's all pretty much common sense. I'm not sure how much ETH would have actually outlined his plans for Hojlund to the journalists, or how much is just general speculation from them.

Chief123

I can’t wait to see him bulldoze a flashed ball across the 6 yard box into the net with a random body part. He’s a tank.
I’d love to see this too but I don’t see Antony or Rashford flashing anything across the 6 yard box. They’ll be cutting in to shoot. Hopefully our full backs can provide those cut backs.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
This PSG bid. I reckon Ten Hag has phoned his Qatar boys up and said "Look, put in a bid less than we have, show Atalanta that no one else is paying more than than the €50m+€10m we've bid and then they'll accept our bid."

Now I know that sounds little implausible but think for a second and get your head out of your arsenal, Qatar, sorry Jassim, might buy us and Qatar already own PSG so this is actually in their future interest. Use your brains here.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Hojlund wants Manchester United. It's a option for Paris if the Kane move doesn't succeed.

Crimson King

A little nervous about the news, however confusing, of a potential rival bid from PSG. And of Hojlund reportedly agreeing terms with them as well.

Hopefully the other reports, that PSG won't put in a higher bid and Hojlund still prefers us, are true as I'm really wanting us to get this deal done now - not just because he's clearly our main target, but also because I've really warmed to him over the last few weeks and prefer the idea of signing him ahead of all the other attainable / affordable alternatives people mention (so excluding Kane).
I think we were all a bit surprised by that, but I'm putting it down to his agency just doing their jobs. It's in their interest to get him the best deal possible, as it means more cash for them. I wouldn't be surprised if they've used PSG's offer to leverage a bit more money from us.

A lot of reliable Italian sources seem to be very sure that if given the choice he'd choose United. I don't think that's hard to believe, is it? I also think it's interesting that the story this morning originally came through French journalists. That's obviously a brief from PSG, not the player's camp. I imagine they were a bit miffed about the tweets yesterday saying he'd turned them down.

I still feel that the only way he goes to PSG is if we pull out for some reason.

Baxquux

I take that as being he’ll be on the bench a bit while others play upfront.
Yeah, though we could also do the split striker thing, ala 2-3 years ago against City, in difficult games (like City...) , have Cas and Amrabat (likely) at the base and taking turns into drive forward, with Bruno and Mount providing outside-to -in, wide 8/10 positions in conjunction with the full backs also alternating between providing width and adding bodies in CM etc.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No need to be too concerned about the PSG bid I'd say. We're clearly his priority choice and ultimately still on us to just agree a fee. The only risk is if we fail to agree a fee then yeah he'll likely just go to PSG.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think it's likely that Hojlund will be eased in a little as our out and out #9 - so sharing duties with the likes of Rashford, and Martial for the rare games that he's available; starting some games from the left or right, and others from the bench, etc.

However I'm not sure how much ETH will have actually briefed these journalists on our plans for a player that we haven't even signed yet, and might not even end up signing. Though he may have just answered in general terms about young player, easing him in, fluid attacking system, etc. But that's all pretty much common sense. I'm not sure how much ETH would have actually outlined his plans for Hojlund to the journalists, or how much is just general speculation from them.
Having read all the articles that have come out in the last hour it's only Laurie Whitwell that has mentioned Hojlund possibly being utilised as the left sided forward. The likes of Ducker and Luckhurst etc have only mentioned Hojlund being rotated with Rashford upfront due to wanting to give Hojlund the time to adapt to a new league and new surroundings.

MattofManchester

Seems like this is a done deal in the coming weeks.

PSG interest is already known, despite player having agreed with us, so it's likely Atalanta are trying to raise the cost we have to pay, as all clubs do with us.

Seems like all semantics based on the media.

Crimson King

Having read all the articles that have come out in the last hour it's only Laurie Whitwell that has mentioned Hojlund possibly being utilised as the left sided forward. The likes of Ducker and Luckhurst etc have only mentioned Hojlund being rotated with Rashford upfront due to wanting to give Hojlund the time to adapt to a new league and new surroundings.
I'm a bit confused by that as well. It doesn't seem the wisest thing to push him out wide if you want him to adapt to playing up front in the PL. Especially if that means moving Rashford out of his best position, and maybe even Bruno too. I'm also pretty sure that Højlund is left footed, so would probably be more effective cutting in from the right anyway.

Think Laurie might be taking a stab in the dark there.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, so probably just means him not starting all the games and at times being used from the bench while Rashford (or occasionally Martial) start as the #9.

That's just common sense given his age, acclimatisation process, and the fact he didn't always start for Atalanta last season either so should be no guarantees he'll always start straight away for us stepping up a level in club and league.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’d love to see this too but I don’t see Antony or Rashford flashing anything across the 6 yard box. They’ll be cutting in to shoot. Hopefully our full backs can provide those cut backs.
Mount at Chelsea and Shaw are both really good for this. Point taken about Rashford and Antony but on the other hand a bulldozer forward should make better shooting opportunities and more spaces for the wide lads. On paper it’s exactly what we need. In theory… who know how it’ll pan out. Let’s hope they learn to compliment each other as a unit

Plastic Evra

Of course its not from the mouth of the player. Do you expect him to say that in this moment?
If multiple sources are saying this then there's probably some truth in it.
I think it's transfer journos pushing our buttons and in the grand scheme of things the player possibly being a fan of club X or Y is mostly peripheral to their career decisions.

Real Name

I think it's transfer journos pushing our buttons and in the grand scheme of things the player possibly being a fan of club X or Y is mostly peripheral.
Well its not about him being a fan or not but wanting to come to United or not.
Maybe it's all just guess work yes, but where there's smoke there's a fire.

luckypepper

A bit conspiracy theory but entertain me...

Qatar have already won the bid for United. Just not announced and finalised.

New owner Jassim wants to get Atalanta to hurry the deal up, so he calls his mate at PSG and asks them to send in a lowball offer to make Atalanta think that United's offer is actually a good one afterall.
This. Clesrly. It's the only rationale for a lowball offer by PSG.
Sure enough, as wild and improbable as this is we are nowhere close to a sale. Even if I entertain this conspiracy theory, I thought there would be no state involvement.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm a bit confused by that as well. It doesn't seem the wisest thing to push him out wide if you want him to adapt to playing up front in the PL. Especially if that means moving Rashford out of his best position, and maybe even Bruno too. I'm also pretty sure that Højlund is left footed, so would probably be more effective cutting in from the right anyway.

Think Laurie might be taking a stab in the dark there.
Whitwell did say he could 'possibly' be used as a left winger. So it does sound like he was speculating.

I said a while ago that he's showing the ability to play across the front line and utilising him as a inside forward on the right side cutting in onto his left foot would likely be more logical. He has the pace and shooting ability to do well in such a role and can also rotate with Rashford upfront whilst adapting to a new league and country.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, so probably just means him not starting all the games and at times being used from the bench while Rashford (or occasionally Martial) start as the #9.

That's just common sense given his age, acclimatisation process, and the fact he didn't always start for Atalanta last season either so should be no guarantees he'll always start straight away for us stepping up a level in club and league.
Agreed mate

Status
Not open for further replies.