RAWK Goes Into Meltdown 2016-17 Edition

pixel

At the end of the day, only one fecking table matters. Let them win their Alternative table... we'll do our best to win the real table.
At the end of the day (season), both the tables converge. Or atleast thats how the alternate table is supposed to work. So whoever tops that table also tops the actual table and vice versa.

Leonetti

Revan

Assumptionman
I remember something slightly more detailed where it was par to draw with the teams around the same 3/4 positions as you. Extra points for drawing/beating teams above you. And part to be beating teams below you.

Massively favours teams around 5-8 as they have the ability to pick up points on teams finishing above them but the top 4 don't. It's flawed to say the least.
It doesn't favour any team. Essentially it assumes that you need to win all the home matches, 7 easiest away matches and draw the remaining ones in order to get 90 points which are enough for the title.

For example, if you defeat Sunderland you get 0 points but if you lose against them you get -3 points. If you draw against City at home you get -1 point but if you defeat them away you get 2 points, etc etc.

Somehow interesting, maybe a bit useful and definitely not biased which means that Liverpool don't win it.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Weren't they crowing about being too of the woodwork hitting table a couple of seasons back. Then pointing out that if all those shots had gone in they'd have won the league?

I love that the one season that it was seemingly their year, against Chelsea it wasn't their day and they still failed to win the league.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's definetely not useful at all. It goes with the assumption that the teams will always win matches against teams lower placed than them. It's good for the Spanish League or something, but in PL where distribution of income is more equal, it doesn't stand a chance.

montpelier

Bosman transfers can be good - this is a very fair point

What does the bosman have to do with it? If we had signed Messi on a bosman, would he be any the less talented for being brought in on a bosman?

James Milner was brought in on a bosman. Yes, I knew many in this sub-forum were angry with his signing, 'lack ambition', 'signing City reject', but he's proven to be one of the best midfielders in Europe last season.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Good old Twigginator AKA "MR Contrary". This is right up there with his "Zlatan's first touch is his biggest weakness" comment (at least I think it was him, I forget).
It's not a deliberately contrary opinion if he points out that the thing has its use and isn't some made up stuff from Pool fans to see their team in first place. Before you laugh at something, people should try to understand it first.

montpelier

For the record, the guy who runs the APLT seems like a genuinely decent chap & he patiently explains what it does & doesn't do to anyone who asks or critiques the concept. He's just explained that the graph is a bit of a form guide, that he maybe could have tweaked the 3pts from every home game but he wanted to work it in easily understandable whole numbers. And for us, it acts as a convenient device to have a bit of a joke that is slightly short of 100% comedy accuracy when subjected to forensic analysis.

EyeInTheSky

It's not a deliberately contrary opinion if he points out that the thing has its use and isn't some made up stuff from Pool fans to see their team in first place. Before you laugh at something, people should try to understand it first.
It's ultimately pointless. Before you write a something don't assume people have not understood it.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
It's ultimately pointless. Before you write a something don't assume people have not understood it.
Well, when people write about how the Alternative League Table is just a creation of RAWK to prove that they're the best team it is a pretty strong indicator that people haven't understood it.

EyeInTheSky

Well, when people write about how the Alternative League Table is just a creation of RAWK to prove that they're the best team it is a pretty strong indicator that people haven't understood it.
Well I have, and I think it's utter shite.

But I understand where you are coming from. Which aspect of it appeals to you the most, maybe I dismissed it too easily?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Whay aplt is just a barometer or how good you are, it adds nothing other than setting a standard of par for every possible match.

The concept itself is interesting and more often than not it's just number crunch with no possible bias as the rules is stated clearly and it's one for all. But rawk sometimes taking it to the next level by using it as a stick to claim the best in england, and they don't even top that table now. - 3 for losing at burnley... Lawl

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Whay aplt is just a barometer or how good you are, it adds nothing other than setting a standard of par for every possible match.

The concept itself is interesting and more often than not it's just number crunch with no possible bias as the rules is stated clearly and it's one for all. But rawk sometimes taking it to the next level by using it as a stick to claim the best in england, and they don't even top that table now. - 3 for losing at burnley... Lawl
Therein lies the comedy. The aporoach to the APLT is a reasonable one and as the season progresses it becomes less relevant. The fun comes in when RAWK use its internal bias to interpret the data.

NotworkSte

Therein lies the comedy. The aporoach to the APLT is a reasonable one and as the season progresses it becomes less relevant. The fun comes in when RAWK use its internal bias to interpret the data.
This is the best way to look at it, and their delusional interpretation is the new "it's our year"
However the APLT is just a step beyond the aul pub talk, "well you're only ehead because you've played no hard games yet....". In principal i don't mind it too much and it can be quite interesting, especially following Leicester progress on it last year.

NM

Have to laugh at the folks on here not understanding the alt table. It is useful at the start. The fun is watching them when even that goes bad.

NM

Yes an alternative reality table that doesnt take into consideration injuries suspensions or loss of form, really handy.
An alternate table that takes into account that winning at home against sunderland is not as valuable (at the start of the season) as winning away to Chelsea. Yes it does make sense. RAWK has plenty of funny things to laugh at, but this doesn't it.

We had our own STOREYTIME version of it for a few years.

montpelier

Surely the APLT value thing revolves around whether you think 3pts at Arsenal is better (or harder to obtain) than 3pts at Burnley. Or put another way, if you do get the 3pts at Arsenal, you probably get more points everywhere else later on. So the achievement is assigned some small amount of added value. Some seasons this will be true, some seasons not so much. Theory vs. real life I suppose, it's an interesting argument.

Perhaps it's best to look at the real table & consider whether you fancy your chances (or not) in the remaining / forthcoming fixtures.

A bit like what we all do all the time, you might say. Via an alternative or Storeytime table if that is what floats your boat, or you feel offers most hope.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think some RAWKite said that Alternate EPL table has a better prediction rate (based on the last few seasons) than the real table. I haven't verified that claim but I think it is very likely the case that if you look at both tables after half of the matches are played, then Alternate table gives better predictions than the real table.

Of course, if we have a few teams doing what Leicester and Chelsea did last season, then that doesn't happen, but more often than not, I would guess that Alternate table beats the real table after 10-20 matches when it comes to predicting the final table.

Dominos

I think some RAWKite said that Alternate EPL table has a better prediction rate (based on the last few seasons) than the real table. I haven't verified that claim but I think it is very likely the case that if you look at both tables after half of the matches are played, then Alternate table gives better predictions than the real table.

Of course, if we have a few teams doing what Leicester and Chelsea did last season, then that doesn't happen, but more often than not, I would guess that Alternate table beats the real table after 10-20 matches when it comes to predicting the final table.
I believe 6 out the last 7 seasons have seen the Christmas day league leaders (of the real table) go on to win it.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Huge surprise they didnt sign a LB and DM. Think it will cause them a lot of problems for the season

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
An alternate table that takes into account that winning at home against sunderland is not as valuable (at the start of the season) as winning away to Chelsea. Yes it does make sense. RAWK has plenty of funny things to laugh at, but this doesn't it.

We had our own STOREYTIME version of it for a few years.
If teams are adjusted weekly for different reasons then I can see the validity in it, if not then theres teams like Leicester and Chelsea last season that completely mess it up.

montpelier

#2 is a newbie, and he's a feisty one
I am too embarrassed for you to keep the bit in where you compared Sturridge to the King.
How very precious of you. Have a cuddle of your King Kenny dolly, it'll be comforting I'm sure

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Summing up their transfers in:

Mane - Excellent
Wijnaldum - Can be competent under Klopp tbf.
Karius - ?
Klavan - Not a top 4 quality CB
Matip - Not a top 4 quality CB
Gjuric - Very good prospect for the future

All in all, they have a threatening enough attack but still a terribly average midfield and back 4 (bar Clyne). Genuinely reckon they wont finish above 6th.

Truedevil

I was afraid with Klopp they would be bringing in real quality players like Götze who would make their squad stronger but players like Wijnaldum and Klavan are making me forget Rodgers is no longer their manager. The only good player they signed is Mané (Karius undecided), but even he's horribly overrated especially on the caf.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Cue people saying ":lol: there's always something new you notice" etc. for about two pages.