Real Time With Bill Maher

Carolina Red

Staff
All right, so next time you might want to be more precise about your point.
I apologize. I thought my point was clear when I qualified it by saying "but we both know that would be impossible".
So to sum up (as I still struggle to grasp your opinion due to the what I mentioned above): your stance is that you support stricter gun control and also think that civilian gun bans would be reasonable but recognize the limited possibilites of achieving this state.
I support stricter gun control. I have outlined this on here recently, but will say again... I support a licensing system for guns and ammo like Dwazza spoke of, daily record checks on the license holders, and a magazine capacity limit.

I believe that a ban is unreasonable, but I do recognize that if no guns existed, it would be ultimately better, but guns have existed for over 1000 years, so it is a theoretical fantasy more than anything. To me, it's like saying "if illicit drugs didn't exist the world would be better". Well, of course it would, but they do exist, so how do you deal with it?

Javi

I believe that a ban is unreasonable, but I do recognize that if no guns existed, it would be ultimately better, but guns have existed for over 1000 years, so it is a theoretical fantasy more than anything. To me, it's like saying "if drugs didn't exist the world would be better". Well, of course it would, but they do exist, so how do you deal with it?
Yes with "no guns" I mean a similar status quo like for example countries in Europe have. Don't know why you jumped to no gun whatsoever as it's clearly ridiculous to even debate about that. Anyway so you'd agree that the status quo concerning guns in Europa (say Germany) would be better and more reasonable?

Carolina Red

Staff
Yes with "no guns" I mean a similar status quo like for example countries in Europe have. Don't know why you jumped to no gun whatsoever as it's clearly ridiculous to even debate about that. Anyway so you'd agree that the status quo concerning guns in Europa (say Germany) would be better and more reasonable?
My apologies then. I thought you to be using the absolute meaning of the terms for emphasis as you had used the terms "everybody" and "nobody" in that post.

I would agree more with adding some Canadian influence into our gun laws rather than German.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I was really disappointed by his softball interview of that nutty general who is advising Trump.
Agreed absolutely no mention of Trump's buddy Putin and the fact that Flynn wants closer ties with Russia.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Watched the one tonight with Piers Morgan and Jim Jeffries, etc
The rift between jeffries and morgan....:eek:
Was that all for the cameras? Didn't look like it.

Dobba

He's one of many, many people who would love the opportunity to tell Piers Morgan what he is to his face. A pathetic, fake photo publishing, phone hacking, shitstain on the annals of humanity.

Last edited:

Kaos

For those that haven't seen it:

Cnutface Morgan's face when the audience cheered Jefferies :lol:

Charlie Foley

For those that haven't seen it:

Cnutface Morgan's face when the audience cheered Jefferies :lol:
:lol: Jim Jefferies is the man, Morgan's a smug wannabe intellectual prick. "You're being unpleasant", says the man sticking up for Trump.

Tarrou

I hate Piers as much as the next man but felt he had some decent points on Maher last night, not saying I agree with everything he said but he was calm and made his points well. As opposed to Maher who just shouted louder whenever Piers disagreed with him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I hate Piers as much as the next man but felt he had some decent points on Maher last night, not saying I agree with everything he said but he was calm and made his points well. As opposed to Maher who just shouted louder whenever Piers disagreed with him.
Given his friendship with Trump, he isn't really balanced source of Trump analysis.

Tarrou

Given his friendship with Trump, he isn't really balanced source of Trump analysis.
Yeah I know he's massively biased, but I still think he made his points well compared to Maher and Jefferies.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The ad at the bottom of this page has the irresistible offer of joining the nra and getting a free (very hideous) duffel bag!

Thanks,Piers Morgan.

Nikhil

Bill Maher's show is good but sometimes I feel he uses not so important facts and figures when talking about current events. He also raises his voice and shouts when someone says something he doesn't agree with. He's raising his voice and shouting, he must be right! Raising your voice and talking louder than the others doesn't make you right.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Bill Maher's show is good but sometimes I feel he uses not so important facts and figures when talking about current events. He also raises his voice and shouts when someone says something he doesn't agree with. He's raising his voice and shouting, he must be right! Raising your voice and talking louder than the others doesn't make you right.
He's a bit of a simpleton, and extremely smug. But his views are generally in line with mine, apart from when he can sometimes venture into Islamophobia and anti-vaccination nonsense.

Omar Little

I don't see why people are backing Jeffries here. He was just a shouty, arrogant, aggressive, moron with no real point and no intention of debating the issue. A lot of the left seem to be acting this way, now and they are in real danger of becoming more like the thing they hate.

I totally get that millions of people would like to have done what he did but that's not the point. He was acting like a child arguing on the playground and and was abusive for the sake of playing up to the audience.

Trump would have been proud.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
On what basis does Maher suppose that a Clinton administration wouldn't have been 'feuding wit the world'?

I don't see why people are backing Jeffries here. .
He had more than a point, it's been a muslim ban since Trump first mentioned it was a muslim ban. No amount of spin from Morgan, the TrumP administration will change that, hence "fuuuuck off".

Hell even the god damn courts agree with Jeffries and not Morgan.

But do carry on...

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's clearly a muslim ban in all but name. Well, in name as well actually. Even if you agree with it, to not call it what it obviously is is silly.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't see why people are backing Jeffries here. He was just a shouty, arrogant, aggressive, moron with no real point and no intention of debating the issue. A lot of the left seem to be acting this way, now and they are in real danger of becoming more like the thing they hate.

I totally get that millions of people would like to have done what he did but that's not the point. He was acting like a child arguing on the playground and and was abusive for the sake of playing up to the audience.

Trump would have been proud.
I agree to an extent. A better way to deal with it would've been to take Morgan on, on why its a bad idea.

It's clearly a muslim ban in all but name. Well, in name as well actually. Even if you agree with it, to not call it what it obviously is is silly.
As I say, even the federal courts agree that it's a muslim ban.

Jim couldn't just sit that and listen to Morgan flat out lie & try to spin it as something else, "fuuuck off" was without doubt the appropriate response that such garbage.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
As I say, even the federal courts agree that it's a muslim ban.

Jim couldn't just sit that and listen to Morgan flat out lie & try to spin it as something else, "fuuuck off" was without doubt the appropriate response that such garbage.
Spin is basically it. It says something that even when he was grilling Eric Bristow over his comments the other day, I was still rooting for Bristow.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This case also has a lot to do with Trump being in office. Obama, for example, deported more people than any other President - in fact it was probably more than all President's combined since Reagan - but it was glossed over because he didn't have a combative, antagonistic personna with the media and never really talked tough about the issue in public.

As far as Trump is concerned, all he has to do is rewrite the language of the EO and he can resume what was started with the last order. Not necessarily good policy but it will be completely legal.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
And what the hell does Jim Jeffries has to do with "the left"? I see a lot of these false equivalencies these days... "yeah Trump said something stupid, but what about that left wing comedian? It's all the same...". It's silly really.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Depends on what you mean by that, but how about common sense?
How else would you describe her foreign policy positions, with regard to the ME in particular?

This case also has a lot to do with Trump being in office. Obama, for example, deported more people than any other President - in fact it was probably more than all President's combined since Reagan - but it was glossed over because he didn't have a combative, antagonistic personna with the media and never really talked tough about the issue in public.
This is a good point. A degree of subtlety and charm can cultivate some very helpful latitude; one might also call it the Roberto Martinez effect.

Last edited: