Rio Olympics 2016

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's incredibly weird that so many of these countries have hardly won anything considering how many events there are.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The commentator just made a Chile pun. Disappointed.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
What's with the small plant the kids are carrying?
It's to symbolise changing climate change and one new plant/tree to be planted for each country attending. Meanwhile over 1000 acres of rainforest has been destroyed while this ceremony has been going on.

What's with those weird silver boxes and what are the athletes putting in them? Looks like they are putting seeds in, very strange whatever it is.

RedTiger

Half mast
It's to symbolise changing climate change and one new plant/tree to be planted for each country attending. Meanwhile over 1000 acres of rainforest has been destroyed while this ceremony has been going on.

What's with those weird silver boxes and what are the athletes putting in them? Looks like they are putting seeds in, very strange whatever it is.
I reckon the silver thing is a seed bank and each nation is putting the seeds of their national plant in there.

Makes sense to me:)

Parry Gallister

I missed them, but Romania have surely just got the gold?
Was going to post about the quality there but thought two on the same page was a bit much :lol:

And Romania had a few that dragged the overall quality down, worthy silver or bronze, but Montegro gave it their all.

langster

Scout
I reckon the silver thing is a seed bank and each nation is putting the seeds of their national plant in there.

Makes sense to me:)
Yeah, that's not a bad shout. I like your thinking. I can't work out if every athlete has a seed or just a few or what? Also, there are like a hundred or so slots on the things and some are really high up too :lol: It's really puzzling and I missed where the BBC commentators said what it was all about.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
wow never realized there are so much countries

langster

Scout
Must feel awesome to walk out as an athlete, being part of that.
My next door neighbour (literally right next door) Bill Lucas, was in the GB Rowing team in London, although unfortunately he was one of the only members of the team who didn't win a medal, he said walking out at the opening ceremony was the most amazing but completely surreal things he ever experienced in his entire life.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Oscar Schmidt carrying the Olympic flag there, what a legend.

RedFish

Very tough one. I suspect Dumoulin is gonna drop out pretty quicky and use it as a training day. He needs to start in order to be able to do the time trial, which I think he holds good cards to win for.
Yeah Tom is right up there for the TT win, although I'm not sure how much that broken radius he suffered at back end of the tour will hold him back. Outside of the British contingent, I'd love to see Kiryienka do well in the TT and Poels to ace the Road race.

Mark_GrumpyLion

Jesus, 212km to go. You'd have to be a diehard fan to sit through the whole bloody race.
My channel switched to Hockey now. It's just showing everything with the Dutch in it though, so that explains it.

I rate Poels highly today, over Mollema, who misses a little bit of a killer instinct in my tastes. Dumoulin dropped out already too, as expected.

Sigma

207km now! I know next to nothing about cycling. No chance for Adam Yates?
I'm watching it now, I'll probably go and do something else and then come back when there is about 50 km left. It's always fun at the end of the race.

Anyone can still win

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'm watching it now, I'll probably go and do something else and then come back when there is about 50 km left. It's always fun at the end of the race.

Anyone can still win
Yeah, makes sense. I put the water polo on from the red button. Weird sport and looks fecking knackering to play. Very stop/start though.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

In a very entertaining water polo opening game Serbia (the heavy favorites for the gold) and Hungary (probably the nation with the biggest tradition in the sport) drew 13-13. The Hungarians were leading till the very end but the Serbs got the equalizer 4 secs from time while they had also hit the post twice in their previous attack. Excellent game from both teams.