Brazil - South Africa 0-0
Mexico - Germany 2-2
Portugal - Argentina 2-0
Sweden - Colombia 2-2
Fiji - South Korea 0-8
Nigeria - Japan 5-4

Poor Fiji.

Day 0

Just Archery today, along with opening ceremony, of course. Ranking rounds for archers, 128 archers (men and women) shoot 72 arrows to decide seedings for both individual and team competitions that start on Saturday.

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
So my sister who is a hardcore women's gymnastics fan (I don't get it either) told me that there is no chance in hell that Simone Biles doesn't win the gold medal. I'm thinking about putting a lot of money on it.

It's a long shot, but does anyone else watch this shit?

Classical Mechanic

That looks really disgusting. Is it a place for some of the competitions?
There was a bit on the radio about the area that will have the open water swimming race and the water has a bacteria rate something like one million times higher than the legal rate for a public beach in Europe!

Amir

So my sister who is a hardcore women's gymnastics fan (I don't get it either) told me that there is no chance in hell that Simone Biles doesn't win the gold medal. I'm thinking about putting a lot of money on it.

It's a long shot, but does anyone else watch this shit?
She's a big, big favourite. Three times in a row World Champion in all around.

Amir

I'll start by prefacing this by saying he is undoubtedly a tremendous sportsman, and one of Britain's greatest of all time.

But Andy Murray as GB flag-bearer symbolises one of the main things wrong with the modern-day Olympics.

A professional sportsman competing in an event that isn't the pinnacle of his sport.
I see what you mean. But tennis is a part of the olympics and Murray has treated it as a big thing, unlike some of his peers. The 2012 gold medal was actually a huge stepping stone for him as well.

Also have to consider that not all athletes are in Rio yet and not all athletes who are in Rio will participate in the ceremony. You can say - give it to Ennis or Farah, but they might not be around for it at all.

Amir

There was a bit on the radio about the area that will have the open water swimming race and the water has a bacteria rate something like one million times higher than the legal rate for a public beach in Europe!
In about 15-20 years when some former Olympians start to get sick, well, we'll be looking back on this one.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Ouch! Lets hope it's not like that for the whole 10km! :D

She's a big, big favourite. Three times in a row World Champion in all around.
Odds are really small though to bother with that.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I always find it entertaining when the commentators have to try and describe/construe the really weird, artsy opening ceremonies, and be completely serious about it.:lol:

HabeasC

I forgot how dull the opening ceremonies for these things are

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
bit too similar to London 2012 right now, in terms of of its just a jazzy lesson in history.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
bit too similar to London 2012 right now, in terms of of its just a jazzy lesson in history.
I don't think that's an entirely bad idea though. Quite a good, logical approach to take in a sense.

Red Stone

So, who's lighting the flame? Apparently Pelé can't do it due to poor health. I can't think of another Brazilian athlete that comes close to him in terms of legendary status.

Fat Ronaldo, maybe? Come to think of it, the only Brazilian athletes I actually know are all footballers.

Amir

So, who's lighting the flame? Apparently Pelé can't do it due to poor health. I can't think of another Brazilian athlete that comes close to him in terms of legendary status.

Fat Ronaldo, maybe? Come to think of it, the only Brazilian athletes I actually know are all footballers.
There were reports it would be Gustavo Kuerten, three times Ronald Garros champion.

Amir

Apparently the Olympic Cauldron will be lighted by Vanderlei, the marathon runner who led in Athens 2004 until being attacked by a spectator.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
meh. Nothing blown me away so far,

SeaCarrot

The ridiculous amount of pollution in Rio and its waterways, and they have the nerve to lecture the planet on climate change. Good one.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
When do they do the rings bit and torch is it after every A-Z of the countries that walk out? If so Ill record the rest before I go sleep, cba with that part.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
When do they do the rings bit and torch is it after every A-Z of the countries that walk out? If so Ill record the rest before I go sleep, cba with that part.
Probably at the end I'd assume since the Brazilians will come out last and do it.

binary bot
Germans winning the attire so far...and they're Adidas