Rio Olympics 2016

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

The Irish International Olympic Committee member Pat Hickey has been arrested in Rio as part of a police investigation into alleged ticketing touting, according to reports.

The 71-year-old, who until last week sat on the IOC executive board, is also the head of the European Olympic Committees that organised last year’s controversial European Games in Baku.

According to the Brazilian newspaper Estadão, which was responsible for a similar investigation during the 2014 World Cup, Hickey was arrested at the “Olympic Family Hotel” in Rio’s Barra da Tijuca by police early on Wednesday morning.

The Estadão journalist Jamil Chade, who posted a picture of police carrying away Hickey’s accreditation on his Twitter feed, reported that Hickey was taken to hospital after “feeling sick” at the time of his arrest. Police said Hickey is accused of plotting with at least six others to illegally sell tickets for the Olympics.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/17/olympic-committee-ireland-pat-hickey-arrest-tickets

The BBC are reporting that police sources say that Hickey tried to escape the the luxury Hotel Windsor Marapendi when the police arrived.

Police say when police knocked on his door, Hickey slid his Olympic pass under the door and attempting to flee into his son's hotel room, adjacent to his own.

Hickey then reportedly became unwell after his arrest and was taken by police to the nearby Samaritano hospital in Rio.

A photo of Hickey in his hotel room wearing his dressing gown after police stormed his room has been sweeping the internet this afternoon.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
From BBC site GB are should get gold in the 470 Sailing with Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark, with favorites for gold Nicola Adams (boxing), Mo Farah (5,000m), Tom Daley (10m diving), Alistair Brownlee (triathlon), Helen Jenkins and Vicky Holland (triathlon), Jade Jones and Bianca Walkden (taekwondo), the women's hockey team, men's 4x100m men's relay team, Liam Phillips (BMX), Holly Bradshaw (pole vault), Jamie Cooke (modern pentathlon), and Charley Hull (golf).
I wouldn't say most of those are favourites for gold, amongst the favourites for gold maybe.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I've read elsewhere that loads of people are being picked up for touting, including people just indulging in the time-honoured event of ticket swapping. Most of them are being let go a couple of hours later. But if it's been about building up evidence against people higher up the food chain this could be an interesting twist in the story.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
You guys don't understand, the french guy got booed because he said the crowd was like nazi germany. That was huge news yesterday. I don't agree with the booing though, but you can understand it.

I also recall Neymar getting boo'd during all of London olympics, so there's also that.

NinjaFletch

You guys don't understand, the french guy got booed because he said the crowd was like nazi germany. That was huge news yesterday. I don't agree with the booing though, but you can understand it.

I also recall Neymar getting boo'd during all of London olympics, so there's also that.
Yeah I can't believe people are over-looking that.

Athletes have been booed and whistled thoughout the games, theres nothing wrong with that really. The fact he got booed during the ceremony was because he compared himself to Jesse Owens ffs. Of course you're going to get booed for that.

Lurpak99

Buttered up

In football people have accepted that sportsmanship is a thing from the past, football now is win at all cost, and players accept that being booed away from home is normal.

Manny

Grammar Police

So what's the excuse for booing him during the event?

He only used the Nazi Germany comparison after he got booed during his event then he got booed at the medal cermony for speaking out against it. He's not the only Olympian to have criticised it either.

And booing at a football match is quite different to booing a single athlete at an athletics event.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah I can't believe people are over-looking that.

Athletes have been booed and whistled thoughout the games, theres nothing wrong with that really. The fact he got booed during the ceremony was because he compared himself to Jesse Owens ffs. Of course you're going to get booed for that.
That stupid remark was in answer to the booing. They also booed France during handball this afternoon, they booed pretty much everyone in Volleyball too.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Personally I think anyone who boos should be ejected from the Stadium. And also the planet.

Dan

The BMX finals should be good to watch, you normally get a bit of carnage.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
This has been such a shameful and scandalous Olympics. Brazil must be the worst hosts yet by far.

NinjaFletch

That stupid remark was in answer to the booing. They also booed France during handball this afternoon, they booed pretty much everyone in Volleyball too.
I'm aware but, to the best of my knowledge, they've genuinely been respectful and appreciate of the same athletes they've just booed if they go on to win or do well. On the whole its been no different to football crowds whistling and booing when the other team has the ball.

There's been exceptions to that and this is now one, but, frankly, if you're going to say what he did then you're going to get booed everywhere.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm aware but, to the best of my knowledge, they've genuinely been respectful and appreciate of the same athletes they've just booed if they go on to win or do well. On the whole its been no different to football crowds whistling and booing when the other team has the ball.

There's been exceptions to that and this is now one, but, frankly, if you're going to say what he did then you're going to get booed everywhere.
I don't really like football fans behaviours or french rugby fans who boo the kickers, so I don't give a flying feck about whether it's normal in football. That's a crass behaviour.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Competition wise I think it has been excellent.
Sort of. Numerous competitions weren't exactly that. Team gymnastics, many of the swimming and running events, men's basketball. Basically what has been shown on TV here the most. Way too many performance enhancement drugs in many of these sports for me to take them seriously.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Germans were probably worse hosts in '36. At least they weren't at fault in '72.
Something something Jesse Owens

Well. Relatively not at fault. I have no idea but I assume they have to take a huge portion of the blame.

Anyway....

pauldyson1uk

Sort of. Numerous competitions weren't exactly that. Team gymnastics, many of the swimming and running events, men's basketball. Basically what has been shown on TV here the most. Way too many performance enhancement drugs in many of these sports for me to take them seriously.
WOW thats a sweeping statement , so you saying that most of the medals in these sports are dirty?