Rio Olympics 2016

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Poor Leicester. Win the PL against all odds and expectations and yet still won't (or at least shouldn't) win SPOTY Team of The Year.
I think it's unfair that Team GB as a whole can win it, when most probably go home without a medal.

I still think Leicester should win, as proud as I am of how good we've been in Rio.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Huth coming on for the German ladies. He looks quite pretty with a wig on.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I think it's unfair that Team GB as a whole can win it, when most probably go home without a medal.

I still think Leicester should win, as proud as I am of how good we've been in Rio.
It's the best away games medal haul ever and we're second in the medal table ahead of China with their enormous population. The achievement of Team GB in this Olympics should not be understated, it's phenomenal.

Leicester were great, don't get me wrong, but this goes much wider than any one sport can.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
I have already said this , yes what Leicester did was outstanding but for me this GB Team blows them off the park.
Nah, what Leicester did was something which will never be seen again. GB's Olympic success has been a natural progression of success in recent years as a result of increased funding. If you wanna compare it to football then maybe Arsenal's invincibles, or United winning the treble in 98/99. If we finish above China it will be fantastic but I don't think the emotion of the Olympics should take away from Leicester's story.

Put it this way, ask a British Leicester fan what they enjoyed more.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Nah, what Leicester did was something which will never be seen again. GB's Olympic success has been a natural progression of success in recent years as a result of increased funding. If you wanna compare it to football then maybe Arsenal's invincibles, or United winning the treble in 98/99. If we finish above China it will be fantastic but I don't think the emotion of the Olympics should take away from Leicester's story.

That's a remarkably small pool of people.

Ask Brits who don't give a feck about football what they enjoyed more.

Sylar

Turned over after the United match to watch the hockey. Netherlands were just fantastic but Team GB did so well to take it into penalties. Netherlands looked like they would score every attack they went forward, and wouldnt be tackled.

Well done to the ladies in winning the gold.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
That's a remarkably small pool of people.

Ask Brits who don't give a feck about football what they enjoyed more.
Yeah it is a small pool, but they are also a group of people who are both fans of Leicester and Team GB. They should have an impartial view of what was more significant as a supporter.

GB finished 3rd in 2012, we might even finish 2nd in Rio which would be more impressive considering we're not hosting it. It's great but not unique. We'll probably do (nearly) as well in 2020.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah it is a small pool, but they are also a group of people who are both fans of Leicester and Team GB. They should have an impartial view of what was more significant as a supporter.

GB finished 3rd in 2012, we might even finish 2nd in Rio which would be more impressive considering we're not hosting it. It's great but not unique. We'll probably do (nearly) as well in 2020.
There's nothing impartial there.

If United won the league and England won the world cup I'd enjoy the league win much more but I have no doubt which would be more likely to win SPOTY.

starman

I find it ridiculous that people are suggesting that GB should win the team award ahead of Leicester. GBs target was not a few medals, but 48. They have beat that and will probably end up with around 65. What they have done had been seen as very achievable before the start of the games.

Leicester were favorites to be relegated..

Last edited:

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Apparently Team GB have won medals in 14 different sports now at Rio, no other country has managed to win medals in more than 10 (so far)

That's a fecking fantastic stat and just goes to show the diversity and strength in depth of the whole team. They should be so super proud of themselves. Outstanding performance, especially considering they thought it would be difficult to top Beijing 4 years ago, and the same to top London this time.

pauldyson1uk

I can see your point, but many Gold medals from London 2012 defended , more medals that China , second in the medal league, more medals in more sports than any other team.
Team GB gets my vote.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
But then Team GB is composed of dozens of constituent teams, with athletes putting in years of commitment to peak at just the right time. The sacrifices made, and hours of training required, is on a completely different level to that of a football club.

It's not just about the gold medals either: we've seen some truly commendable silver and bronze medals these past weeks.

It isn't necessarily a fair contest i grant, but the Olympics simply matters more (or it does to me anyway).

Sylar

Steve Cram - BBC athletics commentator on BBC TV

"We have been told it is a rule where you cannot start running outside of the zone. Martyn Rooney had one foot outside of the line. Whether the judges had decided he had started running because of that, it would be incredibly harsh"

erm.. what?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I hope GB's men were watching, that's how you get the baton round.

New British record though, really well done to them.

Us and Jamaica just too good.

mu4c_20le

I should have bet more on US, knew they were going to win, they were 2.75 underdogs