Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Following on from my Di Maria post. This will surprise a few. Statistically, given any chance, RVP is still the safest bet for a shot on target from any PL striker.

Best shot accuracy: Robin van Persie (Man United)

Many expected big things of Van Persie when he reunited with his former international coach Van Gaal but it hasn't panned out how either would have liked. It's perhaps a surprise to see, then, that the United forward has the best shot accuracy of all players to muster 50+ efforts at goal this season (48.7 percent), though his clinical instincts have certainly diminished since a superb start to life at Old Trafford.
http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/tactic...ria-ospina-are-leaders-in-some-key-prem-stats

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His problem isn't his shot, it's that his legs seem shot. If he was more involved he would still do great. But he seems to have a lost a tad in terms of agility and running power, and that affects his ability to get involved.

I personally don't think we have place for him or falcao. Rooney as the experienced and highly paid striker is more than enough. Three of them being paid what they are right now is a bit of a dead loss.

Roboc7

His problem isn't his shot, it's that his legs seem shot. If he was more involved he would still do great. But he seems to have a lost a tad in terms of agility and running power, and that affects his ability to get involved.

I personally don't think we have place for him or falcao. Rooney as the experienced and highly paid striker is more than enough. Three of them being paid what they are right now is a bit of a dead loss.
I agree it is kind of ridiculous we have ended up with three big name, highly paid strikers all of whom have seen their best days come and go. Really we should probably only retain one but probably no harm in letting RVP run his contract down. A new striker is essential though this summer because we need some more pace, power and mobility up front.

JR10

Supports
Still deciding
I know it a bit random but has anyone got a gif/vine/video of when he hit the post against West Brom away when we drew 2-2, where I think he kneed it and then volleyed it. It was pretty awesome.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I agree it is kind of ridiculous we have ended up with three big name, highly paid strikers all of whom have seen their best days come and go. Really we should probably only retain one but probably no harm in letting RVP run his contract down. A new striker is essential though this summer because we need some more pace, power and mobility up front.
Yeah rvp will probably get to stay and finish his contract. I don't see anyone paying decent money for him now either. It would be great if he can return to his former level but I haven't seen much sign of that so its a bit of a shame that the striker position might continue to be a bit of an issue next season.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Yeah rvp will probably get to stay and finish his contract. I don't see anyone paying decent money for him now either. It would be great if he can return to his former level but I haven't seen much sign of that so its a bit of a shame that the striker position might continue to be a bit of an issue next season.
I'd like to see what he can do after a break this summer. I don't think he'll ever be as good as when we bought him but I do still think he can be much better than what we've seen this season. A few performances here and there (Saints away, Liverpool home and even against West Brom the other week despite missing the pen) show that all may not be lost yet.

I know I'm probably in a minority on the Caf though, most think we should just get shot of him.

Edit: I should also add it's up to Robin to sort out his attitude too because if he stops trying he really is finished at the highest level irrespective of whether his touch is still there or not.

Mainoldo

Might not be here apparently next season. Supprised no one has mentioned it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Interesting to see if he does go Turkey. He's still good enough to play at a higher level than that. Then again, so is Sneijder.

Empire

This is Louis van Gaal we are talking about, the man who doesn't always do the logical thing. Until it is confirmed I won't believe anything, that is in relation to players leaving and also players coming in. Anything really is possible.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Im not really sure what the best option is when it comes to RVP. On the one hand I think he could still contribute at United, but on the other hand our attack with him and Rooney is quite one dimensional, as neither are known for their pace or strength.

Wouldnt be disappointed to see him go, although I suspect LVG may want to retain him for another season rather than having to buy virtually a whole new strikeforce in one summer.

Anderson18

I think he's done at the highest level. Don't forget how many injuries he had. Look at the player he was 2011-2013, looks like the shadow of that player.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Im not really sure what the best option is when it comes to RVP. On the one hand I think he could still contribute at United, but on the other hand our attack with him and Rooney is quite one dimensional, as neither are known for their pace or strength.

Wouldnt be disappointed to see him go, although I suspect LVG may want to retain him for another season rather than having to buy virtually a whole new strikeforce in one summer.
That may change though with Depay and Di Maria (who hopefully will come good next year) out wide. If they have faster players around them I think our attack will look much better next year.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If RVP is happy to play a cameo role along with Wilson - then I'd love for him to stay. His experience and persona would be fantastic to have in the dressing room. But I'm sure he'd rather finish his career playing as regularly as he can.

I adore the guy and THAT season was incredible. A joy to watch.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
That may change though with Depay and Di Maria (who hopefully will come good next year) out wide. If they have faster players around them I think our attack will look much better next year.
Perhaps, but I always feel that in a squad you want a variety of options from your out and out strikers, options that we didnt have this season.

I also believe that LVG values fluidity and interchanging of positions in his front three, which RVP is not exactly well suited for.

Basically I think we need to get rid of two of RVP, Falcao and Rooney - and Rooney is the obvious choice to keep (although frankly I wouldnt be fussed if we ditched him and kept RVP).

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Perhaps, but I always feel that in a squad you want a variety of options from your out and out strikers, options that we didnt have this season.

I also believe that LVG values fluidity and interchanging of positions in his front three, which RVP is not exactly well suited for.

Basically I think we need to get rid of two of RVP, Falcao and Rooney - and Rooney is the obvious choice to keep (although frankly I wouldnt be fussed if we ditched him and kept RVP).
The only thing I'd say is if Wilson goes out on loan (which I think would be good for him) then we'll need both considering we'll be playing more games next season thanks to our league position.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The only thing I'd say is if Wilson goes out on loan (which I think would be good for him) then we'll need both considering we'll be playing more games next season thanks to our league position.
Yeah, squad size for next year should be a consideration. Personally I think that originally part of the reason we sent Hernandez, Nani and Cleverley out on loan was so that we could potentially use them next season onwards if they had performed well on loan, whereas this year they would not be likely to get gametime.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals

A variety of options for his strikers is always good, he used Wilson over Falcao this season because of his speed for example. But, serious question, why do you think he wants an interchanging front 3?

As far as I'm aware he prefers a real #9, a Lewandowski or a prime RvP as they fit his striker profile. When he explained his vision to the national team and had little time to do so he showed them Barcelona, with the only addition that he didn't like Messi as their striker (pre-WC), and that he rather has a real #9. Yes the striker can end up on the wing or deeper at times, but I always thought he prefers target men. Therefore pace isn't that important for his strikers (not neglectable though), because it isn't the most important part of his striker profile.

Therefore players like Jackson Martinez, Benteke, Lewandowski, Mandzukic and even RvP on his old day will be preferred over Hernandez. The latter is gone, I just can't think of a scenario where he would stay. He doesn't fit the profile whatsoever and I thought van Gaal's comments made it clear he has no future at Manchester United.

The question is, does he trust RvP as backup for a year? He may just thrive because van Gaal's teams should work in his favor more next year. He's also undoubtebtly an important figure in the dressing room, especially for Blind and Memphis next year. This will depend on RvP himself too (does he want this?), and wether he sees Wilson as a good enough 3rd choice.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
A variety of options for his strikers is always good, he used Wilson over Falcao this season because of his speed for example. But, serious question, why do you think he wants an interchanging front 3?

As far as I'm aware he prefers a real #9, a Lewandowski or a prime RvP as they fit his striker profile. When he explained his vision to the national team and had little time to do so he showed them Barcelona, with the only addition that he didn't like Messi as their striker (pre-WC), and that he rather has a real #9. Yes the striker can end up on the wing or deeper at times, but I always thought he prefers target men. Therefore pace isn't that important for his strikers (not neglectable though), because it isn't the most important part of his striker profile.

Therefore players like Jackson Martinez, Benteke, Lewandowski, Mandzukic and even RvP on his old day will be preferred over Hernandez. The latter is gone, I just can't think of a scenario where he would stay. He doesn't fit the profile whatsoever and I thought van Gaal's comments made it clear he has no future at Manchester United.

The question is, does he trust RvP as backup for a year? He may just thrive because van Gaal's teams should work in his favor more next year. He's also undoubtebtly an important figure in the dressing room, especially for Blind and Memphis next year. This will depend on RvP himself too (does he want this?), and wether he sees Wilson as a good enough 3rd choice.
Bit embarrassing but I thought I remembered you saying it in another thread :lol:. Must have been someone else who seemed fairly knowledgeable on LVG.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Bit embarrassing but I thought I remembered you saying it in another thread :lol:. Must have been someone else who seemed fairly knowledgeable on LVG.
The striker has to be a good footballer, so they can end up out of position at times, but I'm not sure if this is their most important role given the striker profile he prefers. I know the wingers and midfielders change position alot but I'm not too sure about the striker. It could be that you're right though, hence the question.

The problem with his striker profile is that those kind of players usually don't fit his winger profile, unless he finds a new RvP or thinks Wilson can perform like that. I have absolutely no idea what he wants to do with his strikers mind, for all I know he could loan out Wilson, sell RvP and play Rooney in midfield..

Mainoldo

LVG UNSURE OF RVP FUTURE

To add, Louis van Gaal refused to say whether Robin van Persiewould be at Old Trafford next year during his press conference ahead of the clash at Hull.

"You have to wait and see. I shall not say whom I am speak to," Van Gaal said of his fellow Dutchman, who also has 12 months left on his contract.

Utd7

He either gets sold if he's willing to leave or his contract doesn't get renewed so he leaves for free next summer.

Shyftyy

He either gets sold if he's willing to leave or his contract doesn't get renewed so he leaves for free next summer.
Apparently the Qatar clubs are after him. Never know what that does to a player at 32.

rover

if it's all up to us then this is certainly to retain rvp for another year despite we are going to bring in another established striker as a regular starter or to compete with everyone by the next season. his class, skill sets, experience and a team player attitude can all help a relative young squad to develop. this will be his last year so his salary won't be a big concern from financial point of view neither. this is a luxury to have rvp on the bench. just, we can afford it for a season without any problem. if rvp've got a good offer from somewhere else and decides to move on, he should have received all the blessing from this football club.

Mark_GrumpyLion

if it's all up to us then this is certainly to retain rvp for another year despite we are going to bring in another established striker as a regular starter or to compete with everyone by the next season. his class, skill sets, experience and a team player attitude can all help a relative young squad to develop. this will be his last year so his salary won't be a big concern from financial point of view neither. this is a luxury to have rvp on the bench. just, we can afford it for a season without any problem. if rvp've got a good offer from somewhere else and decides to move on, he should have received all the blessing from this football club.
I think he gets a 10 mil bonus when his contract runs down. Also, I can't see him have a bench role all season, especially with the Euro's coming next summer.

ottosec

I think he gets a 10 mil bonus when his contract runs down. Also, I can't see him have a bench role all season, especially with the Euro's coming next summer.
That bonus is payed in increments.

This one I am not sure, but I think if we sell him we must pay the reminder of the bonus and if he asks to leave we don't?

Kakeru

Unfortunately, he has to go for everyone's sake, including his own. That's up to whoever wanting him the most to show Ed the money now.

Devil may care

I think he was hooked yesterday simply as it was a straight swap positionally and Huntelaar was doing ok as the #9, Holland were pretty poor in general.

buckooo1978

i think Van Persie's future really depends on who we can bring in....

if we can't persuade a top striker to join it would be silly to get rid

Status
Not open for further replies.