6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jungledrums

Romelu Lukaku is a rubbish footballer, not good enough for Man Utd, and it sickens me he's going to be here for potentially the next 10 years.

Clearer?
Sickens you that he's scoring at nearly a goal a game? Showing decent to good link up play/awareness (the dummy against Swansea an example from his last appearance), and showing a burning desire to improve? That all sickens you? Feck me, you are clueless.

rtr

I don’t think I’ll ever rate him.
Not good enough.
Romelu Lukaku is a rubbish footballer, not good enough for Man Utd, and it sickens me he's going to be here for potentially the next 10 years.

Clearer?
He'll always be behind Morata for me, Morata was a missed opportunity. Lukaku would look out of place against the big spanish 2 - he's powerful, I'll give him that.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He had a poor game, Lingard showed what better movement could achieve yesterday. I think the talk of not rating him is ridiculous but should he start against Spurs?

Darkhorsez

He had a poor game, Lingard showed what better movement could achieve yesterday. I think the talk of not rating him is ridiculous but should he start against Spurs?
I think it’s fair to ask whether he should start. I think he will though knowing Mou. Since Pogba’s injury, he hasn’t looked great - they had great chemistry together. He is not getting the same service that’s for sure.

Craig Ward

Somewhat bemused by the "lack of service" excuses being branded about. A good striker will make the most of any situation and influence a game, rather than being 100% reliant on service.

I agree, Lukaku's life would be a hell of a lot easier if all he had to do was plonk himself in the 6 yards box and we supplied him with tap ins at will, but life doesn't work like that.

He needs to work hard, run the channels, be aggressive, hold the ball up and help the team with goals/assists. Simple.

I think he has done well, he could have played better these last 3 games, but so could all of our players, no need over analyse Lukaku at this point, he's doing fine

Trizy

Somewhat bemused by the "lack of service" excuses being branded about. A good striker will make the most of any situation and influence a game, rather than being 100% reliant on service.
That's never been part of his game, he's an out and out finisher. He's not gonna do an Aguero or Suarez on it. A fine example is Ruud, he was the exact same.

Again though a scorer of loads of goals but people believe we were better without him as he offered nothing else.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
That's never been part of his game, he's an out and out finisher. He's not gonna do an Aguero or Suarez on it. A fine example is Ruud, he was the exact same.

Again though a scorer of loads of goals but people believe we were better without him as he offered nothing else.
Ruud wasnt the exact same however as his movement and linkup play was at least teife as good as Lukaku's. He was a surprisingly good dribbler as well.

TwoSheds

Ruud's movement was incredible.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He didn't score in 2 games and now people started making things up. His movement is poor? Check his goals for Everton and see how many of those goals are poacher goals. His movement is fantastic, one of his best asset.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Can you people kindly feck off with your Morata shit to some other thread? We've got a cesspool for this kind of stuff already.

He didn't score in 2 games and now people started making things up. His movement is poor? Check his goals for Everton and see how many of those goals are poacher goals. His movement is fantastic, one of his best asset.
Yeah it doesn't really matter what he does, if he scores against shit sides that we've struggled to defeat last season people will bring up that he's scoring against shit sides, if he doesn't score people will bring up some other striker we didn't buy who scored, he works hard, he isn't in a box, he's in a box, he isn't working hard, etc., etc.

roonster09

Scout
Can you people kindly feck off with your Morata shit to some other thread? We've got a cesspool for this kind of stuff already.

Yeah it doesn't really matter what he does, if he scores against shit sides that we've struggled to defeat last season people will bring up that he's scoring against shit sides, if he doesn't score people will bring up some other striker we didn't buy who scored, he works hard, he isn't in a box, he's in a box, he isn't working hard, etc., etc.
Exactly. It looks like people are waiting for him to have poor games so that they can win their internet prediction.

Stacks

I know and now Morata is god. Lukaku is fine. strikers go games without scoring and have bad ones. Morata has had them too. Kane does also. He'll bounce back with a brace vs Spurs and be the best again.

owlo

He's doing fine. Very nice assist from Rashford in the Huddersfield game and clearly missing a functional midfield. Mata, Herrera, and Miki are more to blame for his lack of scoring than him.

This last page is the stupidest shit I've ever read.
How did you manage to block both Shamans and Wumminator from your mind?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He's doing fine. Very nice assist from Rashford in the Huddersfield game and clearly missing a functional midfield. Mata, Herrera, and Miki are more to blame for his lack of scoring than him.

How did you manage to block both Shamans and Wumminator from your mind?
I wouldn't block Wumminator. He's hilarious.

MeUnited

Just don't think he's good enough personally. Everton was about his level for me. His hold-up play against Liverpool was pathetically bad, I don't care if he can run fast if he can't control a ball under pressure.

SirAF

Ageist
Just don't think he's good enough personally. Everton was about his level for me. His hold-up play against Liverpool was pathetically bad, I don't care if he can run fast if he can't control a ball under pressure.
11 goals in 14 beg to differ.

AS18_

Easy to knock him when the whole team is going thru a rough patch. Stick any of the other "world class" strikers up top for us and they'd find life harder these past few games.

MeUnited

11 goals in 14 beg to differ.
Any striker will score goals in a top 6 team. Ibra was twice the striker for me, we played much better football when we had a striker that could receive a ball into his feet under pressure and pop it off first time and just generally quicken up the play around the box against a compact defence. With Lukaku it feels like we replaced that just for someone who can run fast.

SirAF

Ageist
Any striker will score goals in a top 6 team. Ibra was twice the striker for me, we played much better football when we had a striker that could receive a ball into his feet under pressure and pop it off first time and just generally quicken up the play around the box against a compact defence. With Lukaku it feels like we replaced that just for someone who can run fast.
Lukaku will outscore Zlatan's tally from last season - no sweat. Don't forget that Zlatan was criticized for being slow and cumbersome.

tomaldinho1

Anyone saying Lukaku is rubbish needs their head tested. He's not elite level yet - hopefully he will be one day - and obviously has flaws to his game but his goal scoring record has always been 1st class.

For me, my main concern is how flat footed and slow off the mark he is. Once he gets going he's a juggernaut and is actually very fast (not quite Rashford fast but enough to worry defenders) but the time it takes him to react is poor because he must weigh 95kg near enough which is massive for a professional footballer. This is probably the main reason his touch is suspect because he's not as quick to adjust his feet and by the end of the game he must be knackered.

He doesn't need that much muscle/weight to be strong on the ball, Drogba was a beast and was a full 10kgs lighter than him - over 90mins that makes a huge difference.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Why are people moaning about him? So far he has literally done down to a T exactly the stereotype that was expected from him. He has scored goals frequently, majority against smaller teams and has struggled in the big games against better defences, which is what most people said would happen.

roonster09

Scout
Why are people moaning about him? So far he has literally done down to a T exactly the stereotype that was expected from him. He has scored goals frequently, majority against smaller teams and has struggled in the big games against better defences, which is what most people said would happen.
:lol:

Darkhorsez

How many posts do newbies have per day? Cause some of them are mind blowing.
3 per day - I know this as I joined the forum a couple of days ago . But i’ve supported utd since 1978! I still remember the 1983 FA cup final! I’ve been coming to the Cafe for more than 10 years now since we moved to Canada. It’s a lot of fun but I must say that it’s been trying seeing all the negativity since Fergie’s retirement and the mixed quality in posters’ contributions.

Thecarrickfan_2016

The state of our fanbase at times, They annoy me, Imagine having a go at Romelu Lukaku, He's going through a drought at the moment, He'll score goals for us, I predict that he'll get over 30 goals for us this season.

Hughes35

Having a go at a player who doesn't score in a dreadful Liverpool game, an even worse Huddersfield game and then a 30 minute run out just to keep fresh when the game is already dead. The mind boggles.

TwoSheds

Having a go at a player who doesn't score in a dreadful Liverpool game, an even worse Huddersfield game and then a 30 minute run out just to keep fresh when the game is already dead. The mind boggles.
He was brought on to try and get a goal to give him some confidence. His movement was poor and he didn't manage any chances. Lingard the same game showed the space was there.

That doesn't mean he's not a top striker, but it also doesn't mean he wasn't poor against Swansea. How many people who bitched about whether Rooney should have been undroppable are now taking the opposite view with Lukaku I wonder?

Anyone who is trying to claim Lukaku is shit is a plum.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Lukaku's doing fine. His game is staying as high up the pitch as possible, creating space for the 10 to operate in and stretching the defence by running the channels. If you know that and still leave him isolated, not much else he can do outside of having a second striker that'll drop deep in those phases of the game. *cough*ibra*cough*

The thing about his weight is quite interesting though. Couldn't be a bad thing for him to shed some of it.

Last edited:

el3mel

The only was our fans will be absolutely pleased with our striker if he scores in every game, thus I think even Ronaldo De Lima himself would have found it hard to impress our fans.

RVP got through a drought out in our last title winning season for about 2 months IIRC, ended by his penalty against Stoke. It happens.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Anyone saying Lukaku is rubbish needs their head tested. He's not elite level yet - hopefully he will be one day - and obviously has flaws to his game but his goal scoring record has always been 1st class.

For me, my main concern is how flat footed and slow off the mark he is. Once he gets going he's a juggernaut and is actually very fast (not quite Rashford fast but enough to worry defenders) but the time it takes him to react is poor because he must weigh 95kg near enough which is massive for a professional footballer. This is probably the main reason his touch is suspect because he's not as quick to adjust his feet and by the end of the game he must be knackered.

He doesn't need that much muscle/weight to be strong on the ball, Drogba was a beast and was a full 10kgs lighter than him - over 90mins that makes a huge difference.
I'd love to know where you're getting these facts from?

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
I'd love to know where you're getting these facts from?
Lukaku was 100 kilograms back at Anderlecht when he was a teenager, according to interviews with him from that time. I remember one interview where he explained he went back to 97 kilogram which he felt gave him better balance.

Last year he gave this interview where he stated he plays at 100 kilogram now, it's an interesting read about his physique:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/romelu-lakuku-the-fittest-footballer-at-the-euros

He's just an absolute beast.

I’m quite fast and explosive, so I really want to test how much I can play well on – at the moment, I play at 100kg. Playing at 99kg or 101kg really makes a difference... I’ve always been tall but when I was younger I was really skinny, then I started getting bigger at 15. I went from 5ft 10” to 6ft 2” and I weighed about 97kg, because I made my gym sessions harder. I used to bench press 100kg at 15.

I agree that what Tomald1nho is saying doesn't really make sense though, Lukaku clearly has a very different frame/build than Drogba so claiming he doesn't need the muscle is weird.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Lukaku was 100 kilograms back at Anderlecht when he was a teenager, according to interviews with him from that time. I remember one interview where he explained he went back to 97 kilogram which he felt gave him better balance.

Last year he gave this interview where he stated he plays at 100 kilogram now, it's an interesting read about his physique:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/romelu-lakuku-the-fittest-footballer-at-the-euros

He's just an absolute beast.

,,I’m quite fast and explosive, so I really want to test how much I can play well on – at the moment, I play at 100kg. Playing at 99kg or 101kg really makes a difference... I’ve always been tall but when I was younger I was really skinny, then I started getting bigger at 15. I went from 5ft 10” to 6ft 2” and I weighed about 97kg, because I made my gym sessions harder. I used to bench press 100kg at 15."

I agree that what Tomald1nho is saying doesn't really make sense though, Lukaku clearly has a very different frame/build than Drogba so claiming he doesn't need the muscle is weird.
That is an interesting read. He obviously puts a lot of thought (and expert input) into optimising his phsyique to make him the most effective player possible. So I’m gonna take a big pinch of salt with any comments here about why he’s getting it all wrong.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He should absolutely start against Spurs.

The little try spell he's going on (and it is a very small one) i mostly due to the fact that he's been starved of service for the last couple of games.

I don't think he's doing anything particularly terrible, but he hasn't been supported enough. Obviously some of that has to do with Pogba's absence, but also our other creative players (Miki, Mata etc.) haven't been performing.

Ban

3 per day - I know this as I joined the forum a couple of days ago . But i’ve supported utd since 1978! I still remember the 1983 FA cup final! I’ve been coming to the Cafe for more than 10 years now since we moved to Canada. It’s a lot of fun but I must say that it’s been trying seeing all the negativity since Fergie’s retirement and the mixed quality in posters’ contributions.
Not all newbies are bad. :D

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I mean, in theory, it makes sense that a player would dwindle in stamina and energy levels if he’s packing such weight. And, in the past, it has probably been a problem for Lukaku. I haven’t seen anything to suggest it’s an issue here though.

Lord_Emz

I really don't get this. Anyone saying Lukaku is a good striker needs to get checked out. How can a striker not score in 3 games. Does he think he's Harry Kane who gets the whole of August every year to be a shit goalscorer or Morata who can't do a simple job at Watford?. His link up play, build up and first touch have been okay for how it's been criticized. Top marks to him for not getting it to his head. Not the finished article yet obviously but ahead of Zlatan last year. For what it's worth, I'll like to know Aguero's stats at 24.

Reactions: KM

Siorac

What? That's stupid. By that logic we might as well have kept Rooney.

I agree with those who say that Lukaku, on the whole, is a rather poor footballer - but he's a great goalscorer. His technical abilities - well, lack thereof - will be a problem but he'll score a lot for sure. Which is a skill that not every striker has, not even close.

LoneStar

RedCafe should be renamed as 'Moaners Central'. Some of the comments here are downright pathetic. Lukaku has done what was expected of him very well. It's not his fault that Jose Mourinho has been playing him like Fellaini recently. Rashford's goal against Huddersfield came out of his sheer will.

It's the 3 behind him that have been poor. It's not like Morata has been setting the world on fire. He has 11 goals, and has had a very good start to his career here. People who want him to score 2 goals a game should stick to FIFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.