Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
To be fair it factored in their ages as well and the room for growth, but I agree that it is extremely unlikely Lukaku is going to develop into something more effective for us than Ruud was.
Even taking into account their ages, I don't see Lukaku getting anywhere near RvN. He's not in the same class. Obviously, I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Revan

Assumptionman
People talking about how prices have changed (which is true) but Arsenal get Lacazette (sp?) for £40mil, thats the right amount of money, not £90mil on fecking Lukaku.
I hope to god we have 3 or 4 other players in the pipeline.
From all accounts, Lacazette cost 46.2m pouds, +7m in bonuses. Yesterday, Lukaku's reported price was reported 75m, while today some are saying that it is 75m + 15m in bonuses. So, the difference is money is quite less than what you made up.

In addition, Lukaku is quite more proven and coming from a richer league, with Chelsea being also interested on him. he was always going to cost a lot.

Ban

Can we exchange Retrostu for Redondo pirri? At least Redondo's meltdown was a bit fun.

3KDré

I think United with all our new signings could have looked a very different team this year whoever was up front. One could argue there are a lot more goals in our current squad anyway. I'm happy with the pl proven goal machine. Hopefully he can bring the best out of our other forward players and turn some of those draws into wins. as it stands now you can see why Chelsea would much prefer lukaku as they were hoping to just tweak a winning formula and Morata is more of a gamble in that sense. We are still very much in the middle of a rebuild here. Exciting times!
In reality most signings we make won't show what they're worth until a few season later. In the coming season, regardless of who we have signed, the players I will look forward to watching most are Pogba, Rashford, Mkhi, Martial because they've all struggled to an extent in this last year. Winning the Europa League will only help despite it not being an overly hard cup. They've all got a lot more to show I feel.

Adebesi

Even taking into account their ages, I don't see Lukaku getting anywhere near RvN. He's not in the same class. Obviously, I'd love to be proved wrong though.
Agreed. I dont like to say what is possible or not possible in the future, I always stay a million miles away from talk about higher ceilings and whatnot cause I have no idea who has more intrinsic potential and I dont believe anyone does unless they saw them both training every day, and even then I dont think you can actually know.

BUT.

I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if Lukaku got anywhere near RVN's level. Simply on the basis that RVN was an absolute monster, the like of which dont come around often.

Ainu

Since when is Lukaku worldclass?. I'm not even that keen on Kane but i'd rather Kane than Lukaku.
Seriously if City or Liverpool were paying £90mil for Lukaku, people on here would be pissing themselves, and don't try to deny it.
No one called Lukaku world class and you're still using the 90m fee even though you were corrected on several occasions.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
is this more or less done then? or is there still a chance he pushes for Chelsea?

onemanarmy

Since when is Lukaku worldclass?. I'm not even that keen on Kane but i'd rather Kane than Lukaku.
Seriously if City or Liverpool were paying £90mil for Lukaku, people on here would be pissing themselves, and don't try to deny it.
Nobody called him world class iirc.

RetroStu

No one called Lukaku world class and you're still using the 90m fee even though you were corrected on several occasions.
How was i 'corrected' when no one has a clue what the real figure is.

CG1010

Chelsea were?

Ban

Because thats what i read, it doesn't mean its true, just like the £75mil figure (like being £75mil makes it any better).
Well stop using that price. Your argument isn't any stronger if you repeat the price of 90 mil despite the fact you don't have a clue about the real price. You can mention it's 115 mil, what's the difference.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The original argument was "he will score a lot of goals for us but his overall playing ability is poor".

I think the most important factors in judging a striker is his scoring abilities. If you have someone who scores 30 goals a season for us, would you say "yes, he scores a lot but he is a poor footballer overall"?
Like I said, if he inhibits the rest of the team to score goals, retain possession and ultimately maintain control, then yes there would be strong objective logic to saying his goals don't outweigh everything else. Whether he will do that or not is a subjective prediction but it's nonsensical to rule it out as even a remote possibility.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
In reality most signings we make won't show what they're worth until a few season later. In the coming season, regardless of who we have signed, the players I will look forward to watching most are Pogba, Rashford, Mkhi, Martial because they've all struggled to an extent in this last year. Winning the Europa League will only help despite it not being an overly hard cup. They've all got a lot more to show I feel.

We would want to be a lot better this year. Hopefully the rest of the forwards//Jose realise Zlatan isn't there to bail them out and be the focal point anymore and they all step up together. We've spent an awful awful lot of money since 2013 basically to win the UEFA cup at this stage. Lots of better run clubs win that trophy with academy graduates and much cheaper signings etc. The proof will be in how we do next year. Jose's had his first season. The real work starts now I feel. Lukaku is a great young addition to the squad. The pressure will be on himself and pogba to take us forward. They look close off the pitch and I'd say they are relishing the challenge.

togg

I do think we have to have a bit of trust in Mourinho....whose the first United manager to win anything in his first season and generally a shrewd buyer of players....as to the reasons he allegedly made Lukaku a top target. If he is confirmed, I for one will get right behind him, regardless of the negative opinions of armchair managers. I mean ffs, surely people don't think Mourinho went for Lukaku without a lot of thought and planning going into it? He's not some tinpot manager whose proved nothing.....

TheBiggest

2001 when we signed Ruud he would have been 25, a single year older than Lukaku right now and we'd have brought him in a year earlier at 24 but missed a season through injury.
Just because Ruud had a slower start to his career and Lukaku a fast start (playing professional football since 2009! mind) doesn't mean anything for the player Ruud became. Some start their careers earlier and peak/finish earlier, see Mr.Rooney as an example.

99-2003 was arguably the most talented team United have ever had, Ruud in 2003 almost carried us to the title by himself, in a team containing Keane, Becks, Scholes, Giggs , a lot of our all time greatest players he was seen as right up there in talent and importance.
If he was so limited as you claim, in That team, with those players, he'd have stood out like a sore thumb instead, you making him out to be some glorified poacher is fecking outrageous.

And back on the topic of that Everton fans take on him, the only thing that makes him sound anything like Ruud is the fact he wrote he's clinical, thats literally about the only similarity I see, the negatives certainly don't sound like the Ruud I knew and loved.

:lol:

Who are you arguing with?

If it's me...I'm afraid you are having a different argument altogether, my friend.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
If Zlatan resigns when he comes back then we can say we're better now then last season. How much better he can get is hard to say. I like seeing him being active with Pogba on holiday. I don't want people to relax to much. If he does great things with united but flatters to deceive with Belgium? Who cares, unless you come from Belgium..heh. His record in the premiership speaks for itself. We can elevate him to a higher level. My first choice would be Kane, but since he's not available Lukaku is the next choice. Him and Martial or Rashford can be very productive over the next few years. Quality wise we're still short but we'll see what other business we do

RedCurry

If the reports are true about Everton trying to figure a way to pay Riola's fee without getting sanctioned, I expect this transfer to drag on a few more days at least. That would suck to be honest.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Y'all're forgetting the real question here and that is has he started following us and our players on twitter and instagram yet?

Ainu

How was i 'corrected' when no one has a clue what the real figure is.
The BBC seems to have a clue, which makes that figure significantly liklier to be correct than whatever figure you've plucked out of your arse in an attempt to give more weight to your argument. I see you've since argued that 75m wouldn't make it any better, while anyone with a basic understanding of arithmetics would note that it does make it better. From this all I conclude you're not willing to have a sensible conversation about this pending transfer. You simply want to display your dislike of it. That's fair enough, but just state it bluntly instead of using false arguments.

Werder Herzog

If the reports are true about Everton trying to figure a way to pay Riola's fee without getting sanctioned, I expect this transfer to drag on a few more days at least. That would suck to be honest.
I imagine they will do it the way Dortmund did with Mkhitaryan, or Nice did with Dembele etc etc.

No one knows what he has in his contract in terms of Raiola's cut. I've seen one tweet on the subject which was posted on here which wasn't even from a journalist so where's these so called 'reports'?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Sounds plausible, would explain the different emphases from the camps re the amount involved, too.

RedCurry

I imagine they will do it the way Dortmund did with Mkhitaryan, or Nice did with Dembele etc etc.

No one knows what he has in his contract in terms of Raiola's cut. I've seen one tweet on the subject which was posted on here which wasn't even from a journalist so where's these so called 'reports'?
'Reports' is a strong word, I was talking about the same tweet. But it's quite believable to be honest. Agent fee involved in Pogba transfer got Juve in trouble, if I were Everton, I'd at least get the lawyers to look at what happened there and make sure that it's not repeated. I would imagine it would take a couple of days at least for the due diligence work.

Sounds plausible, would explain the different emphases from the camps re the amount involved, too.
The fee might still vary if the agent fee is substantial. Don't see why they can't just discount the transfer fee and let Lukaku pay the agent from his own pocket while United account for it in player's wages. Armchair accountant.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
So, you'd take 27 (peak year) RvN over 24 year old (yet to reach peak) Lukaku right now? :lol:
2001 when we signed Ruud he would have been 25, a single year older than Lukaku right now and we'd have brought him in a year earlier at 24, the exact age as Lukaku but he sadly missed the season through injury, so not 27 peak, we're talking Ruud here at 25 and Lukaku at 24.

At the age he is at now, Lukaku has scored more club AND international goals than Van Nistelrooy at the exact same age.
Just because Ruud had a slower start to his career and Lukaku a fast start (playing professional football since 2009! mind) doesn't mean anything for the player Ruud became. Some start their careers earlier and peak/finish earlier, see Mr.Rooney as an example

And if you think RvN was a good 'footballer' then you need to take of the red-tinted glasses. He was a finisher. That's all he was. He'd tell you that himself.
99-2003 was arguably the most talented team United have ever had, Ruud in 2003 almost carried us to the title by himself, in a team containing Keane, Becks, Scholes, Giggs , a lot of our all time greatest players he was seen as right up there in talent and importance.
If he was so limited a player as you claim, in That team, with those players, he'd have stood out like a sore thumb instead, you making him out to be some glorified poacher is fecking outrageous.

Yeah, he sounds just like Ruud van Nistelrooy from that
And back on the topic of that Everton fans take on him, the only thing that makes him sound anything like Ruud is the fact he wrote he's clinical, thats literally about the only similarity I see, the negatives written certainly don't sound like the Ruud I knew and loved.

There you go, I broke it up for you so you. Ps. I really like your condescending laugh smiley replies.

Mihai

The fact that he is going to be the main striker does not change the fact that when we dont have the ball, he will be expected to defend like every other player on the pitch and not just stand around twiddling his thumbs
He will defend as any other striker who played for Mourinho. Doesn't change the fact that you buy your main striker to score goals and not by how he tracks back and defends.

Status
Not open for further replies.