Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolvored

He's got a contract until June 2019. Lets wait until next summer. Not only will that mean he will be in the final year of his contract (so last chance for Everton to make money out of him), but also it'll be another season to assess him, see if his overall game improves.
I can see him leaving this summer, maybe Chelsea, maybe abroad. I'm 50/50 with him as on form he is superb, but what does that do
If we were in for him, we'd also have to find a couple of wide players who can deliver a decent cross.
Our crossing and corners have been awful for ages.
Thats exactly what we need whoever plays up top.

wolvored

Thanks for the answer. Just thought about it because Ibra used to play with Trezeguet at Juventus - not the same type of player but still. Well then I hope Ibra stays and either wait for a better alternative when Ibra leaves or hope that Rashford will develop enough to take over. I still think that the best idea would be to buy a young striker (for instance, Dolberg or Andre Silva or someone else) and loan them out for 1 or 2 seasons (if they are willing to do this), till Ibra leaves, and then take over. But a loan to a relatively good club in a good league, like Villarreal, Sevilla, Dortmund, Gladbach, Leverkusen, Lazio, Milan or Fiorentina.

I simply don't like the alternatives that are available at the moment, sure Lukaku seems to be good, but I'm not that convinced that he can be the leader the team will need. I hope so, but I'm not sure. But I must admit that I haven't seen him a lot so it's not that fair of me to be too critical. I also do think that he'll cost way too much and it will be the same as the Pogba-situation. People will focus on the fee and expect more than what the players show on the pitch.

I'd prefer it if Dybala could be brought in to help Ibra and Danilo Pereira to help Pogba. Griezmann will maybe stay because of the "sanctions" in Atletico Madrid.
We dont do very well loaning players out to other clubs. I may be wrong but think Beckham might have been the last player that turned out very good after a loan to Preston I think.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Id give up on this football lark if I were you.

He's scoring more goals at an average club than the strikers at the clubs competing for major honours.

Take away the other top strikers penalties (Rom doesn't take ours) and he's comfortably ahead of the rest...

However for some bizarre reason you think he wouldn't be able to do the same at a club where he is surrounded by far better players ?

Bizarre logic
Everton play to his strengths, better sides won't Lukaku would need to adapt and I'm not convinced he's good enough

Id give up on this football lark if I were you

I like Lukaku and think he will do well at United, but if we are to spend big on a striker this summer, I would like to see us bid for Mbappe. A forward line of Martial, Rashford and Mbappe would rip any defense apart with a decent midfield behind them.
It's hard to argue with this comment.

Last edited:

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Everton will surely have to sell at around £50-60 million. Can't risk losing a player for nothing come the end of his contract and next year that price will half again.

I think he's worth it, just.

lsd

The Oracle
He is clearly not a flat track bully unless the likes of ourselves liverpool and city etc are all flat track teams

bensonjutton

Supports
Everton
Great post, well backed up with statistics and reasoning why my comment is "complete and utter nonsense":rolleyes:
Lol at wanting statistics to back it up. I like most Everton fans have watched every single performance he's had in the past 4 years... anyone calling him a flat track bully has literally no idea what they are talking about. One of the biggest criticisms of his game is that he doesn't utilise his physique etc enough to boss matches and bully defenders. What you're claiming is the complete opposite to reality and you don't need stats to back it up, you just need two functioning eyes.

I mean i don't actually believe you've watched him and come to that conclusion, you're probably just repeating an out of date cliche you read somewhere else.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Everton will surely have to sell at around £50-60 million. Can't risk losing a player for nothing come the end of his contract and next year that price will half again.

I think he's worth it, just.
In this market, he's easily worth 60m.

You put him up top in this United team, this season, and I think he would've scored more than Ibra has.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Lol at wanting statistics to back it up. I like most Everton fans have watched every single performance he's had in the past 4 years... anyone calling him a flat track bully has literally no idea what they are talking about. One of the biggest criticisms of his game is that he doesn't utilise his physique etc enough to boss matches and bully defenders. What you're claiming is the complete opposite to reality and you don't need stats to back it up, you just need two functioning eyes.

I mean i don't actually believe you've watched him and come to that conclusion, you're probably just repeating an out of date cliche you read somewhere else.
Oh I see, you don't know the meaning of the phrase, well let me Google that for you, it has nothing to do with how he uses his physique.

flat-track bully informal. noun. a sportsperson who dominates inferior opposition, but who cannot beat top-level opponents.

A staggering statistic shows Lukaku's woeful strike rate in matches against the 'big six'.

Versus Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham over the past three seasons, Lukaku has played 30 matches - and scored just three goals.

We'll see his disappearing act again at Anfield in a few weeks I'm sure along with the rest of the Everton team, at least under Moyes they put up some resistance in your derby, I hate watching them walk it every game these days.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He has a point about players wanting to be remembered for the trophies they won not just the goals. He's ambitious and confident which is something positive. It'll be us or Chelsea this summer.
Yes it's good to be ambitious, but not sure it's on for him to publicly question his club's 'ambition' or lack thereof.

Anyway, he wants CL footy so he's definitely going to Chelsea

ovoxo

Yes it's good to be ambitious, but not sure it's on for him to publicly question his club's 'ambition' or lack thereof.

Anyway, he wants CL footy so he's definitely going to Chelsea
Yeah, it's not ideal to do something like that, especially given it's March at the moment and not the summer.

But we can still win the Europa league to get CL football!:D

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Yeah, it's not ideal to do something like that, especially given it's March at the moment and not the summer.

But we can still win the Europa league to get CL football!:D
That would be nice:) But after that shit show against Bournemouth I've lost a massive amount of faith in the team. God knows what to expect from us.

bensonjutton

Supports
Everton
Oh I see, you don't know the meaning of the phrase, well let me Google that for you, it has nothing to do with how he uses his physique.

flat-track bully informal. noun. a sportsperson who dominates inferior opposition, but who cannot beat top-level opponents.

A staggering statistic shows Lukaku's woeful strike rate in matches against the 'big six'.

Versus Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham over the past three seasons, Lukaku has played 30 matches - and scored just three goals.

We'll see his disappearing act again at Anfield in a few weeks I'm sure along with the rest of the Everton team, at least under Moyes they put up some resistance in your derby, I hate watching them walk it every game these days.
During his time in England he has scored

5 goals vs Man City
5 goals vs Liverpool
3 goals vs United
2 goals vs Chelsea
2 goals vs Arsenal
1 goal vs Spurs

Feel free to go and fact check that.

Probably his most memorable performances came against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool... and maybe United when he was at WBA.

Sure he could score more against the top clubs, but you fail to take into account that he's not been playing at a top club for any of his career and thus its unfair and illogical to compare his goal scoring in big games to other strikers who have been playing in far better and more attacking teams than he has. Everton are very negative away to the big clubs, thus it drastically limits Lukaku's ability to impact a match.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
During his time in England he has scored

5 goals vs Man City
5 goals vs Liverpool
3 goals vs United
2 goals vs Chelsea
2 goals vs Arsenal
1 goal vs Spurs

Feel free to go and fact check that.

Probably his most memorable performances came against Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool... and maybe United when he was at WBA.

Sure he could score more against the top clubs, but you fail to take into account that he's not been playing at a top club for any of his career and thus its unfair and illogical to compare his goal scoring in big games to other strikers who have been playing in far better and more attacking teams than he has. Everton are very negative away to the big clubs, thus it drastically limits Lukaku's ability to impact a match.
I know he's still quite young and has time to develop but I'd imagine most of those goals against the top clubs came earlier in his career. He seems to be going backwards in that regard instead of growing into his role and dominating the big games the same way he does against the relegation fodder.

That's the major question mark the big clubs will be asking themselves before contemplating making a move for him.

izec

Lukaku will go to Chelsea. Barkley is just a sweetener and an Englishman they will take to play behind him.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Lukaku will end up being top scorer this year, he's 23, over two years on the contract iirc, Barkley is English thus overpriced and overrated, 100 mil won't cut it.

finndt

If we wanted him, we could still pull this off with Rooney going the other way. Would be real kick in the teeth for Everton fans thou.

Stacks

Everton play to his strengths, better sides won't Lukaku would need to adapt and I'm not convinced he's good enough

Id give up on this football lark if I were you
He has scored goals at EVERY club he has played at. What clubs don't play to their strikers strengths? Spurs play to Kanes strengths. Jose plays to his strikers strengths. I don't get this

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Maybe if Barkley continues to develop he'd maybe work in that Matic role beside Kante offering the same physicality with more dynamism and creativity, but that's still quite a big ask. Otherwise he doesn't really fit anywhere at Chelsea.

PoTMS

Barkley would be a massive waste of money and even though that isn't really an issue at Chelsea, he wouldn't really improve them either. Lukaku would be a good signing though, but again he's not a top top striker so I'd be happy if it meant they wouldn't be signing anyone truly world class to replace Diego Costa.

Alabaster Codify7

Lukaku will be at Chelsea in the summer, I'm convinced, with Costa going to China for a ridiculous fee.

Barkley wouldn't be a good signing for them IMO.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Gone to Stamford Bridge in what has to be one of the more predictable destinations going for a player on the market

Coxy

you guys should be going for him - Ibra has shown what a decent striker can do for you. You need a top striker again. Lukaku is doing great considering he has the likes of Gareth Barry supplying him - just imagine what he could do with better players...

If Costa is leaving then I can see Chelsea going for him though.

KN5

Of course every striker misses chances, but nearly every top striker available for the price Lukaku commands would be as clinical yet they offer so much more in areas that matter such as link up play, work rate, intelligence.
He is PL proven, guarantees you 15-20 goals a season, if he can do that for 5 seasons at least you're golden. Bringing top strikers such as Icardi, Belotti, Aubameyang etc. Whilst they should be able to succeed in the EPL, they may not. Hell, even people were doubting Zlatan before he came.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He is PL proven, guarantees you 15-20 goals a season, if he can do that for 5 seasons at least you're golden. Bringing top strikers such as Icardi, Belotti, Aubameyang etc. Whilst they should be able to succeed in the EPL, they may not. Hell, even people were doubting Zlatan before he came.
It wasn't a 23 year old Zlatan though was it?

You'd pay 100m for that but Lukaku? Sorry, but for that price let's get 2 better players;a CM and a RB

Untied

I'm not convinced we are the kind of side that can carry a striker with a poor touch and awful passing. So I really don't mind him heading back to Chelsea

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I'm not convinced we are the kind of side that can carry a striker with a poor touch and awful passing. So I really don't mind him heading back to Chelsea
He does the single most important job of a striker though.

saivet

Maybe if Barkley continues to develop he'd maybe work in that Matic role beside Kante offering the same physicality with more dynamism and creativity, but that's still quite a big ask. Otherwise he doesn't really fit anywhere at Chelsea.
I doubt it. He's simply not a CM and imo does not have the skills to play such a role.

Quite frankly, he doesn't really fit into the Chelsea team. He could replace Willian or Pedro, but he won't provide the same width or pace, would be a strange signing, particularly as he won't be cheap.

On Chelsea's strikers though, this makes that Belgium kid they signed a bit pointless and he cost a fair amount.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
With very few field to cover, with a relatively good attack I do think that Lukaku.

But 100M for him and Barkley is like paying 50M for Stones...

CM

Lukaku is a good player but I really don't think he's suited to Mourinho's style of play and I still have some doubts as to whether he's good enough to lead the line for a team with title winning ambitions.

I know he's just rejected the new contract at Everton but I reckon another year there would be the best thing for him at this point. His hold-up play and first touch could really do with improvement before moving on to a bigger club.

Status
Not open for further replies.