Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
you are assuming we have a manager who will rotate and give Rasford games at 9 - that is where his long term future is

even when Ibra's performance levels plummeted last year he didn't rotate him and played the Swede regardless
Zlatan was never dropped because he's a player capable of something special, and he probably doesn't take being subbed well.

I don't think Jose felt Rashford or Martial were ready to lead the line either, that was quite obvious. Lukaku/Morata are more in the shape of Zlatan.

el3mel

Jose always has 2-3 good to great strikers in each one of his teams, it makes sense he won't depend on a kid in his 19 during a title challenge.

Getting both will sort our attacks for years coming.

redpatron

Exactly. Sounds like United and Everton are doing each other a favour. Madrid might be pressured to lower their price and Chelsea will be forced to pay their asking price.
If this is happening, than we ditched the matic deal. Chelsea would come for payback and would have a great time milking us dry for matic.

Adam-Utd

Neither Morata nor Lukaku would sign for the same club once the other has been signed.
lol and you know that how? don't talk rubbish.

Madrid signed Kaka and Ronaldo in the same year, why is this so different?

cheeky_backheel

Jose always has 2-3 good to great strikers in each one of his teams, it makes sense he won't depend on a kid in his 19 during a title challenge.

Getting both will sort our attacks for years coming.
If he wants another striker, it would be a cheaper and likely more experienced option like Chicarito, Mandzukic etc.

el3mel

If he wants another striker, it would be a cheaper and likely more experienced option like Chicarito, Mandzukic etc.
He had Eto and Balotteli in Inter, and Higuain and Benzema in Madrid as I remember.

I think he may very well wanted both since it was supposed we're getting 2 forwards, Griezmann and another one, with Griezmann out and he might have replaced him with Morata and Lukaku.

el3mel

No one is linked with belotti till now, 100m euros for a striker who's not played in epl before?
Conte knew Serie A very well and if they fail to sign Lukaku they will move for him. It's the same cost anyway.

cheeky_backheel

lol and you know that how? don't talk rubbish.

Madrid signed Kaka and Ronaldo in the same year, why is this so different?
The rubbish is you forgetting that Kaka and Ronaldo played in different positions.

Morata wants to leave Madrid cos he want to be the starting #9 for a top club. SImilarly Lukaku left Chelsea cos he wanted to be the starting #9. Neither of them would join a new club so they can be on the bench or played out of position. They have enough suitors to not need to compromise and can even afford to remain at their current clubs.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why is everyone worried about us bringing Lukaku and Morata? If England's darling Rashford is half as good as people in here portray him to be then surely he will put these two on the bench in no time. I mean its not as if we're buying Van Basten and Pele in their prime

redpatron

Lukaku wants to get paid. I don't think he cares if we sign morata or not. He's got to be tired of Paul telling him when he's going pick up the tab.

prtk0811

Conte knew Serie A very well and if they fail to sign Lukaku they will move for him. It's the same cost anyway.
Having 2 strikers does no good to us too when they are costing a fortune both while we already have Martial and Rashford. Our problems are in the attacking build up more rather than personel and i think it should be more wise to spend the money on griezmann to improve the build up not just the goal tally.

Adam-Utd

The rubbish is you forgetting that Kaka and Ronaldo played in different positions.

Morata wants to leave Madrid cos he want to be the starting #9 for a top club. SImilarly Lukaku left Chelsea cos he wanted to be the starting #9. Neither of them would join a new club so they can be on the bench or played out of position. They have enough suitors to not need to compromise and can even afford to remain at their current clubs.
Maybe Jose wants them to play together? you know that is possible in football right?

prtk0811

Why is everyone worried about us bringing Lukaku and Morata? If England's darling Rashford is half as good as people in here portray him to be then surely he will put these two on the bench in no time. I mean its not as if we're buying Van Basten and Pele in their prime
Price.

el3mel

Having 2 strikers does no good to us too when they are costing a fortune both while we already have Martial and Rashford. Our problems are in the attacking build up more rather than personel and i think it should be more wise to spend the money on griezmann to improve the build up not just the goal tally.
Rashford and Martial are far from being able to lead the line in a title winning team, let's be realistic. We always have about 3-4 strikers and Jose always used to have 2-3 strikers in his team all ready to play that's normal for a title winning team especially a team full of injuries like us. I'll love both but if I have to choose one then Morata.

cheeky_backheel

He had Eto and Balotteli in Inter, and Higuain and Benzema in Madrid as I remember.

I think he may very well wanted both since it was supposed we're getting 2 forwards, Griezmann and another one, with Griezmann out and he might have replaced him with Morata and Lukaku.
At inter, balotelli was a teenager and not a starter. Mourinho inherited him and didnt sign him.

At Madrid, neither Higuain nor Benzema was bought by Mourinho and both were inherited. He was actually not happy with either striker and wanted to buy his preferred #9. Pipita was often played on the flanks and left Madrid for Napoli cos he wanted to be the starting #9.

Griezmann or similar soft strikers (SS, CAM., WFs) are different as they would not be vieing for the starting #9 spot. I think we would be getting that type of player to complement the attack but it is not Morata and definitely not Lukaku

Mourinho would not mind having all the #9s at his beck and call. It is the players that would not agree to it.

prtk0811

Maybe Jose wants them to play together? you know that is possible in football right?
And play Rashford and Martial as back ups bench players when he would like to go for world cup? That surely will contribute to beinghim unhappy and leaving. Martial is a top talent which needs to be used better.

Sticking him on the wide wing will do us or him no good and nither lukaku or morata will improve the build up play which we have to rather than just improve the goal tally.

el3mel

At inter, balotelli was a teenager and not a starter. Mourinho inherited him and didnt sign him.

At Madrid, neither Higuain nor Benzema was bought by Mourinho and both were inherited. He was actually not happy with either striker and wanted to buy his preferred #9. Pipita was often played on the flanks and left Madrid for Napoli cos he wanted to be the starting #9.

Griezmann or similar soft strikers (SS, CAM., WFs) are different as they would not be vieing for the starting #9 spot. I think we would be getting that type of player to complement the attack but it is not Morata and definitely not Lukaku

Mourinho would not mind having all the #9s at his beck and call. It is the players that would not agree to it.
Didn't he have Milito too with Eto during his CL winning team ?

I never remember any of his teams that didn't have at least 3 strikers even if he is playing with one.

podurban2

With both Morata and Lukaku, there is no way our attack/goals scored will be the main issue.

Why some people are complaining is beyond me.

cheeky_backheel

It is not Jose's decision to make. The players will simply not agree.

Both players have made it clear that they believe they are good enough to be the starting #9 at any team which is what they are looking for and they have enough options to get it. We are not the only clubs that could afford them e.g. Chelsea. Madrid could even try to send Morata to Monaco in a deal for Mbappe

cheeky_backheel

Really depends on what formation their being told we will play
No matter the formation - you will have only one #9. Even in a 4-4-2, the other striker is an SS.

This is not about if they can play together but that both want to be the starting #9 and that is not possible no matter the formation.

podurban2

It is not Jose's decision to make. The players will simply not agree.

Both players have made it clear that they believe they are good enough to be the starting #9 at any team which is what they are looking for and they have enough options to get it. We are not the only clubs that could afford them e.g. Chelsea. Madrid could even try to send Morata to Monaco in a deal for Mbappe
So you have nothing to worry about since you know so much. Move on, please.

prtk0811

Rashford and Martial are far from being able to lead the line in a title winning team, let's be realistic. We always have about 3-4 strikers and Jose always used to have 2-3 strikers in his team all ready to play that's normal for a title winning team especially a team full of injuries like us. I'll love both but if I have to choose one then Morata.
Well that's not how you build players, unless you trust them and play them you cant take out their best and make them a world beater. They have those qualities specially martial. Also we have to think about the european competition. A better build up is more important than a goal tally's. Surely we cant get all of morata lukaku and griezmann next summer in one team.

A proper attacking build up and better penetration will make martial Mkh mata score more goals along with morata's numbers. A Creative attacking player llike griezmann improves the quality of the build up play which is more important than scoring number of goals against lower teams.

buckooo1978

Zlatan was never dropped because he's a player capable of something special, and he probably doesn't take being subbed well.

I don't think Jose felt Rashford or Martial were ready to lead the line either, that was quite obvious. Lukaku/Morata are more in the shape of Zlatan.
and do you not think Zlatan should have been rested? capable of something special yes but his performance levels were poor towards the end

a mistake from Jose for me but I suppose it depends on your view on Rashford and Martial - we will never see the best of Rashford if he only plays at 9 when a main striker is injured/suspended

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
No matter the formation - you will have only one #9. Even in a 4-4-2, the other striker is an SS.

This is not about if they can play together but that both want to be the starting #9 and that is not possible no matter the formation.
Morata is more than capable of dropping deeper to collect the ball or occupying the flanks. 3-5-2 I think will be the formation if both come in.

cheeky_backheel

Morata is more than capable of dropping deeper to collect the ball or occupying the flanks. 3-5-2 I think will be the formation if both come in.
and its not about whether they can play together, but that Morata doesnt want that role. He has dont that at both Madrid and Juve and expressed his dislike for it. He wants to be the starting #9 and that is why he is leaving Madrid

buckooo1978

Unfortunately that is where he will have to get his minutes until he develops enough for a starting role in the middle.
it would be a genuine shame if we lost Martial or Rashford due to lack of games

I just hope whoever comes in that Jose is willing and able to rotate

Griezeman would have been perfect

prtk0811

So can Martial Rashford or Griezmann.

izzydiggler

It's clearly a briefed story - United struggling to finalise Morata and Chelsea, Lukaku but all of a sudden this gets briefed, no doubt to push both deals to get done quicker.

I'd be amazed if he came here, especially for the insane price of £100m.

El-Manos

With both Morata and Lukaku, there is no way our attack/goals scored will be the main issue.

Why some people are complaining is beyond me.
Much prefer this rumour over the Perisic one so count me aboard the muppet train!

buckooo1978

of course this could be Woody sending a message to Madrid

we've gone as far as we are going on Morata and if we can't come to agreement we can look elsewhere

don't see where Madrid will get a similar offer - Chelsea potentially

redpatron

It's clearly a briefed story - United struggling to finalise Morata and Chelsea, Lukaku but all of a sudden this gets briefed, no doubt to push both deals to get done quicker.

I'd be amazed if he came here, especially for the insane price of £100m.
How's it briefed? A member on this board mentioned this was happening on Monday from his source.

Status
Not open for further replies.