Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Well that's not how you build players, unless you trust them and play them you cant take out their best and make them a world beater. They have those qualities specially martial. Also we have to think about the european competition. A better build up is more important than a goal tally's. Surely we cant get all of morata lukaku and griezmann next summer in one team.

A proper attacking build up and better penetration will make martial Mkh mata score more goals along with morata's numbers. A Creative attacking player llike griezmann improves the quality of the build up play which is more important than scoring number of goals against lower teams.
I don't like these ideas of building up youth and wait for all their mistakes till they develop to become a main starters. If we're willing to go this way we shouldn't be asking for any big trophies for some years coming. It may have been able to be done in the past but currently there are other 5 teams with a ready squad to challenge directly you can't be the only one who is waiting for some youth to develop you will be left behind by a far way from them. I don't care about Martial and Rashford playing or not, my only care is the team winning the league and that's the most important thing. The youth will get chances from the bench till the develop but we can't stop buying players because they might take their places ? It's not like we're getting an agins strikers, we are also buying 2 young strikers but more in their prime.

Finally, I agree with the importance of build up and that's why I prefer Morata over Lukaku but without good finishing up front you can build as many attacks as you want and miss all of them. We need both build up and finishing if we want to win anything significant.

arthurka

How irresponsible of you. While we're here working our tits off frantically clicking refresh you have your feet up on a sun lounger with a virgin pino colada.
Well that´s what it´s about.. Looks like I didn´t miss much.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So what? At one point Fletcher was 5 choice midfielder behind living legend Paul Scholes, 2 English internationals (Carrick and Hargreaves) and the 2008 golden boy. That didn't stop him from being a regular first teamer. A young Paul Scholes had to first win a place against one of the best DMs of his generation and then fend off competition from the second most rated playmaker in the Serie A. Price tags means nothing. If you're good enough you'll play

Sparky Rhiwabon

Wow, so it's been confirmed by the BBC now. If we're after both him and Morata, that sounds like a change in formation. 352? 442? Diamond?

Enigma_87

You know who
Prefer Morata to Lukaku myself as well, regardless of the price.

Smokescreen for Real to finally let Morata go?

AndyJ1985

Assuming this is all true, how much do you think giving them Rooney will take off the price for Lukaku?

arthurka

We should get him for 50m as we seem to be so good of giving them Rooney.. Everton should remember that.
If Everton have any sense they should add 50m after having to take Rooney of us.

cheeky_backheel

it would be a genuine shame if we lost Martial or Rashford due to lack of games

I just hope whoever comes in that Jose is willing and able to rotate

Griezeman would have been perfect
Its one of the reasons I dont believe all the Perisic rumors. I expect the LWF slot to be rotated between Rashford and Martial, and I just dont see why Mourinho would want perisic who plays in a similar position when there are glaring needs in so many other positions.

All the talk of width and workrate are just fans nonsense imo. From what I have seen of Perisic, he is nothing like a Mourinho target.

Mourinho has signed 5 players so far, with 3 being young, one old man on a free and the only 27-30yr old was coming off a spectacular season.

Even at his recent clubs, he doesn't pursue players like Perisic at those kind of prices. The closest thing to Perisic he has signed would be Altintop and that was on a free from Bayern for a squad role.

arthurka

are you kidding? You "only missed" Ronaldo continue his feats of greatness by reversing the irreversible amongst other big events like us signing Morata in the next 48, 72, 48, 48, 48 hours!
So fun fact while I got tanned and a fecked up liver you lot got a smug Swede, Ronaldo claimed his eternal love for us, we almost signed Morata.. And let´s not forget huge dark bags under the eyes.

Am I up to speed on this?

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I think it would be a mistake to change to two up front, you'd be consistently vulnerable at the back from your midfield 2. I am biased though because I've never liked 4-4-2, I think a flexible 3-5-1 uses the pitch far better. It's a long season and you need options though, so to have both would finally give you some depth up top.

It would be a big outlay for both but it's the norm to have that kind of depth to compete on every front. I also think it's the area of the pitch where you fall most behind the rivals, so it's natural you'd have the most to spend in that area.

EvilIrwin

Assuming this is all true, how much do you think giving them Rooney will take off the price for Lukaku?
Everyone knows Utd would be happy just to get him off the wage bill, hence the no fee transfer.
Given them Rooney will soften the blow when they lose Lukaku but won't effect the price

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
As I see it, this news is benficial to all the parties except for Chelsea.

Pressurizes Madrid to accelerate Morata deal so that's our benefit. Pressurizes Chelsea to accelerate Lukaku deal so that's Everton's benefit.

cheeky_backheel

Wow, so it's been confirmed by the BBC now. If we're after both him and Morata, that sounds like a change in formation. 352? 442? Diamond?
It is more likely we are using it to pressure Madrid and stop them from continue to drag things out. It also puts pressure on Morata's team to close the deal.

If Morata misses out on a move to United due to Madrid management being assholes, they will end up with a very disgruntled player that they may then have to sell for much cheaper than we are offering.

MUFC OK

No, but we could easily be going for a few decades ago flavour, 4-4-2.
Pogba in a 4-4-2 would be interesting, but think the three man mid with one striker and goals from the wings is what we need. To be fair people forget that our best team in recent times had both rooney and tevez in addition to ronaldo starting every game.

el3mel

I don't think Chelsea board will be very pleased with Conte offloading Costa ath the wrong time before signing Lukaku, though, if we hijacked the deal.

It was a pretty stupid move from Conte, should have waited to finish the striker deal before telling Costa to go. If this happens it may be the first step in him falling down with the board.

Just imagining, though.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It is more likely we are using it to pressure Madrid and stop them from continue to drag things out. It also puts pressure on Morata's team to close the deal.

If Morata misses out on a move to United due to Madrid management being assholes, they will end up with a very disgruntled player that they may then have to sell for much cheaper than we are offering.
I hope so. Not a fan of Lukaku.

el3mel

I don't like the 4-4-2.

As I said I wull prefer the diamond as Real Madrid.

cheeky_backheel

Pogba in a 4-4-2 would be interesting, but think the three man mid with one striker and goals from the wings is what we need. To be fair people forget that our best team in recent times had both rooney and tevez in addition to ronaldo starting every game.
Unfortunately we dont have the potent wide players to play 4-3-3.

Our advantage is in the middle and it would be a waste to play a 3-man midfield while also undermanning our impotent attack.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
as has been said a hundred times, Dembele is not for sale, Dortmund don't need the money, and he doesn't want to come here. It's not happening.
Just an example, which is why I said may. The point is we don't need to spend £170M on sorting out one position when we could do with a world class winger. Lukaku is not needed if we are to sign Morata.

Loon

:lol:
What I don't understand is why Chelsea haven't tied up the deal? They are always on it.

prtk0811

I don't like these ideas of building up youth and wait for all their mistakes till they develop to become a main starters. If we're willing to go this way we shouldn't be asking for any big trophies for some years coming. It may have been able to be done in the past but currently there are other 5 teams with a ready squad to challenge directly you can't be the only one who is waiting for some youth to develop you will be left behind by a far way from them. I don't care about Martial and Rashford playing or not, my only care is the team winning the league and that's the most important thing. The youth will get chances from the bench till the develop but we can't stop buying players because they might take their places ? It's not like we're getting an agins strikers, we are also buying 2 young strikers but more in their prime.

Finally, I agree with the importance of build up and that's why I prefer Morata over Lukaku but without good finishing up front you can build as many attacks as you want and miss all of them. We need both build up and finishing if we want to win anything significant.
Oh come on, Really? How do you think lukaku became a prolific goal scorer? Because he played, because everton built him up and that's why he is scoring so much, We can not keep buying top players and shift our policy to a galactico policy , its ust not feasible in this era. A team need both youth and experience together and that youth develops with playing side by side to exp players. This is how we built Ronaldo and Rooney and all the class of 92. Besides should we not improve and target to win UCL too for which a better build up is more necessary. Imagine if martial leaves unhappy and scores many goals just like lukaku elsewhere whould we be buying him back for 100 m from another team?

Tottenham have just one striker in kane and one cam deli ali in the starting line up yet they can rake up 86 points because they are better balanced and better built up first team but they struggle in europe and literally dont care about it. Surely we would like to do better in europe having a more creative talent for such insane money which is required in this era.

We were 25 unbeaten in the league when we found out team, yet it was both the combination of Poor and slower attackng build up along with personel problem which led us to many draws. If we imrpove the build up this year mauch of our goal scoring problems would be solved by Goals from Mkh and martial and mata themselves, and yet build those players with game time , and improve systematically on all fronts as a complete team rather than stacking up goal scorers and hope for the best. Morata is a good finisher and so is martial and MKH too Lukaku makes no sense and will completely make us unbalanced again in attack or in midfeild with other players who should play sitting on the bench.

Castia

What I don't understand is why Chelsea haven't tied up the deal? They are always on it.

I think like ourselves getting screwed by Ath' Madrid's transfer ban. Chelsea expected Costa to be in Spain by now clearing the way for Lukaku but it all went tits up.

Wan

It was a 442 or variations of it with either Giggs/Park playing opposite of C. Ronaldo often. It's only in the harder games we play with 433. I don't mind seeing us return to playing that way. Surely it would have happened if we had bought Griezmann(4231) and pair him up with one of Morata/Lukaku. Can't see us going for both since they play similar roles.

buckooo1978

Its one of the reasons I dont believe all the Perisic rumors. I expect the LWF slot to be rotated between Rashford and Martial, and I just dont see why Mourinho would want perisic who plays in a similar position when there are glaring needs in so many other positions.

All the talk of width and workrate are just fans nonsense imo. From what I have seen of Perisic, he is nothing like a Mourinho target.

Mourinho has signed 5 players so far, with 3 being young, one old man on a free and the only 27-30yr old was coming off a spectacular season.

Even at his recent clubs, he doesn't pursue players like Perisic at those kind of prices. The closest thing to Perisic he has signed would be Altintop and that was on a free from Bayern for a squad role.
we do desperately need a left attacking player though - Rashford and Martial are doing a job but they are both strikers playing in the role

we need someone with a bit of trickery and creativity - importantly a good final ball

not sure how many assists Martial and Rashford got last season but it's probably less than 10 between them

prtk0811

So what? At one point Fletcher was 5 choice midfielder behind living legend Paul Scholes, 2 English internationals (Carrick and Hargreaves) and the 2008 golden boy. That didn't stop him from being a regular first teamer. A young Paul Scholes had to first win a place against one of the best DMs of his generation and then fend off competition from the second most rated playmaker in the Serie A. Price tags means nothing. If you're good enough you'll play
That applies to local grown lads such as rashford and lingard but not Martial. Martial needs to play for a bid to get in world cup team, and he is capable of scoring many goals when used right as we have seen in his first season.

Chelsea sold a young lad lukaku because he was not willing to sit on the bench and few years later he is scoring so much in the league itself. Martial will be the next lukaku disaster if he is not played. And dont tell me that price means nothing in the current era, it sure does. Having money to sign does not mean one should stop spending it wisely. A player like griezmann next summer does make more sense than spending all the cash on lukaku and yet not improve the attacking build up required in europe against top teams in europe.

prtk0811

Our advantage is in the middle and it would be a waste to play a 3-man midfield while also undermanning our impotent attack.
No, Improving the attacking transition will sharpen the attack and get goals from other players as well as a team in a 3 man midfeild itself.

Cliche Guevara

I think it would be a mistake to change to two up front, you'd be consistently vulnerable at the back from your midfield 2. I am biased though because I've never liked 4-4-2, I think a flexible 3-5-1 uses the pitch far better. It's a long season and you need options though, so to have both would finally give you some depth up top.

It would be a big outlay for both but it's the norm to have that kind of depth to compete on every front. I also think it's the area of the pitch where you fall most behind the rivals, so it's natural you'd have the most to spend in that area.
I'd be more than happy if City played a 3-5-1 all season, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.