Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

The sources these journalists took the deny from are Everton, were you expecting them to say clearly " yes the deal is done " ?

Perez denied we even contacted Morata was it real ? Juve last season denied we get Pogba was it real ?

Official quotes mean nothing and won't announce anything till it's done.

Robertd0803

It helped Demba BAAAA

.... sorry.
Best comment of the day :lol::lol::lol:

Saw the rumours last night and checked the caf about half an hour ago to see the headline at the top of the page and literally exclaimed "WHAT" fairly loudly :) total surprise if Im honest didnt expect any movement at all.

Hope it gets sorted quickly now, had enough of the chelsea swooping in/not done yet comments already.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think it's important to remember he is 24. He should be able to improve further and Jose should be the kind of manager who is ideal to help him do so.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
My God that twitter thread is confusing. You have a bunch of credible journos saying "done deal" and then another group sayin "nah, smokecreen".

Sampy93

Anyone else remember that story, not sure if it was press or a poster here, about how lukaku was with Raiola and Pogba in the Lowry hotel in Manchester when the deal was done and someone heard them say that he was next (romelu) something along those lines.

Never the less, not sure what to think if this is true. Proven goalscorer and a beast, but is he good enough long term and will his technical limitations be a problem?

MkPaul

learnt from the best
Probably paying 35 million too much in reality but that's the market for you today.

Would rather Morata to be honest who has actually scored goals in the Champions League but given our lack of transfer activity it's a relief.
He's scored 7 goals in 13 games in the Champions League as far as i'm aware.

Solver

I am seriously of the opinion that this fella wins Utd the league next term- young, fast, bullish, eye-for-goal, packs a shot and can play upfront on his own. A typical Mourinho player- Drogba anyone?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He will be the focal point, but our attack is never going to be as centered on one player as Everton's was. He's going to get less space to play in as well, given how defensive many PL bottom feeders are versus United. I'm just saying he's a downgrade on Zlatan last year. Might score more in the league but will contribute less overall.
But you are also ignoring the things Lukaku offers that Zlatan doesn't, like the pace and taking on defenders. We saw how much difference it made to our play when Rashfords pace was introduced into the team after Zlatan got injured. I also think at times due to his lack of pace and mobility Zlatan hindered our play, and he's not a flexible player, if plan A didn't work we ended up just lumping the ball upto him and Fellaini.

It would also be interesting to see stats for his chance to goal ratio. He's the second highest goal scorer in the premier league in recent times we should be happy with the signing.

Klopp_De_Klown

Sky did this before on Herrera Pogba and even Lindeloff.... all positive news, last min downer from sky, then confirmation the deal is done. Even Faxgate they tried to say it was us who messed up then relented to the story which everyone else carried, 3 days later. That madrid pulled out of the deal.

I say again someone at sky is always working hard to keep the message going that United are in meltdown. It seems to me to be a constant naritive from them.

Sky can not be trusted for news on Manchester United. We must of pissed in their cornflakes at some stage

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Hmmmm, £75m for the new Heskey? ;)

I'm not over the moon about this tbh. I was pretty set on Morata, the better all-rounder. :(

Camilo

This is exciting! I like Morata, but he's a bit of a Giroud - good touch, finishing, strength, but not an explosive game changer (ok, he's a level up I'd say, but to be a world class player like that you have to be a Bergkamp, and he isn't). Lukaku is a real presence, and if he works hard to improve further he'll win games for us.

I hope it's true. Add Griezmann next summer and we're getting somewhere - just two Marcelo's to go now!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's song time... can imagine this as a call & return type of chant in the Stretty...

ROM-E-LU LU LU
He will bag us quite a few
ROM-E-LU LU LU
No he won't he's feckin poo...

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Hmmmm, £75m for the new Heskey? ;)

I'm not over the moon about this tbh. I was pretty set on Morata, the better all-rounder. :(
When did Heskey ever score goals at the same rate as Lukaku?

CG1010

And that's why we never develop young players anymore.
If I am not wrong, he got the maximum number of appearances last season with Ibra around. How would buying another striker hinder his development! He is not a prolific goalscorer yet that we could rely solely on him for the next season.

Raulduke

Assuming the Everton denials are merely about structure of payments yet to be finalised. They'll want majority of the cash upfront.

AndyJ1985

Fair to say Chelsea will now tell us to feck off when we ask for Matic. Wonder if that's why the Weigl rumours started last night too.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Anyone who can me the rundown of what happened last time Mourinho managed him?

CG1010

Assuming the Everton denials are merely about structure of payments yet to be finalised. They'll want majority of the cash upfront.
Maybe they want to finalise the Rooney deal too before confirming.

Utd7

The deal is done. People seem to forget the current regime is on great terms with Raiola. Two of his biggest clients are here and another one is using our training ground even though he's not under contract with the club anymore. Lukaku is a red.

Dobbs

Lukaku scores more goals because he plays far more minutes. He's also the main focal point by far in the teams he plays for, which won't be the case at United where there are other quality attackers alongside him. I think people who expect him to be more clinical than Zlatan was for us are going to be disappointed. Overall our attack is still weaker than it was last season.
Which is a good thing. He's proved his consistency. Morata hasn't.

Lukaku would be the focal point for us. Anyone who plays the No.9 will be.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It's song time... can imagine this as a call & return type of chant in the Stretty...

ROM-E-LU LU LU
He will bag us quite a few
ROM-E-LU LU LU
No he won't he's feckin poo...
Could just go for the classic John Cena.

Let's go Romelu!
Lu-poo-poo!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Given this info has clearly come from United, could it be possible we've done this to panic Madrid into allowing Morata to leave for the price we want?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Probably paying 35 million too much in reality but that's the market for you today.

Would rather Morata to be honest who has actually scored goals in the Champions League but given our lack of transfer activity it's a relief.
I think we should be far more concerned about winning the PL right now than the CL, and Lukaku has scored lots of goals in the former.

Akshay

Staff
But you are also ignoring the things Lukaku offers that Zlatan doesn't, like the pace and taking on defenders. We saw how much difference it made to our play when Rashfords pace was introduced into the team after Zlatan got injured. I also think at times due to his lack of pace and mobility Zlatan hindered our play, and he's not a flexible player, if plan A didn't work we ended up just lumping the ball upto him and Fellaini.

It would also be interesting to see stats for his chance to goal ratio. He's the second highest goal scorer in the premier league in recent times we should be happy with the signing.
Yeah, those are fair points. If Lukaku uses that pace to stretch defenses it will be a big help, but I'm concerned he doesn't really make use of his mobility enough. What I liked about Zlatan most (other than the goals) was his leadership and his ability to bring others into play, both aspects in which Lukaku is vastly inferior. Maybe he has enough other abilities in his locker to make up, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.