Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
I was really looking forward to Morata joining us due to his better technique and Lukaku's poor first touch. However this signing should guarantee power, pace and goals whilst fecking up Chelsea and Madrid's plans all in one fell swoop. If this goes through then Ed will have played a blinder :p

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We win the league next season if we sign him
No we won't. He is awful in games where there is anything riding on the game. Missing a penalty in a cup semi against us. We will beat up the little teams, lose the big games and will be fine as long as we don't dare get to a cup final.

Peanut Butter

Gentleman and ladies, for the first time, in a very long time, I will will be able to get it up tonight :drool:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I love the thought of Ed trolling Perez all along. :lol:
I think that was it, using Morata kinda the same way our interest in Keane was probably overstated, a back up option.

Kinda like in FM where you agree loads of deals and have to then back out of 8 transfers.

Member 5225

Would be a fantastic signing - his numbers speak for themselves. He's young and knows the PL inside out. And what a physical presence for the spine of the team with Pogba, Bailly, et all

SER19

Surprised at how mixed the reaction is. He's not van persie but he has been banging in premier league goals for years now and goals are exactly what we want, he's far from an immobile lump that people make out. And importantly he's at an age where he'll surely improve, considering the chances we make I expect him to be a big success. Yes there's better out there right now but we haven't exactly signed the runt of the litter.

He'll improve immensely at united and in three years we might have a truly top level player at his peak - in the mean time I think he guarantees goals

Judas

Open to offers
We don't need him for big matches. If he can just streamroll weaker defences like he is doing for the last two seasons, then i'd be delighted. Remember all those draws at OT?
This is the part which is making me come around to the signing. We desperately need to sort out those kind of performances, and if Lukaku can help that issue, it's a good signing.

podurban2

I can see it in front of me now, how many goals he will bag in. And he will be here for ages.

getupkid

Ahh the joys of dealing with Raiola. Lets hope this fee is actually agreed and we don't end up left looking like chumps.

Siorac

Scores 25 goals for Everton last season.

Some people on the CAF think he's not good enough...
:lol:
James Beattie got into double digits in four consecutive Premier League seasons. Scored 24 for Southampton in 2002/03.

So yeah, that argument, in itself, is insufficient.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I've always been of the view that Lukaku was a flat track bully who went missing against big sides: I can't remember him ever having made an impact vs us over the past few years. However, that was all in his formative years of development, and even during that phase, he has scored more PL goals than any PL striker bar Aguero.

Last season at Everton proved that he is now on the cusp of hos own greatness and simply requires the right platform to demonstrate his true potential. Given his race, it feels like a lazy comparison, but he feels as close to a Drogba clone as is possible.

He is a true number 9, the best manifestation we have had since Ruud in his prime. He will get amazing service for the 5 behind him (the created plenty of chances for Ibra last season) as well as hold up play to bring others into the game. If he can strike up the right playing relationship with Pogba, it could become one of the trademark partnerships in global football.

We need to make a dramatic improvement in English League Football, and Lukaku is just about the closest guarantee goals from the first game as is possible. If he can score on debut vs West Ham and get on a run, he could have a monstrous season and really give Kane a run for his money.

I'm much happier we sign Lukaku over Moratta, given he has better experience and is PL proven. My dream muppet signing is Kane, but if that's not possible, then Lukaku is amongst the very best options after.

Adebesi

SSN saying that a deal is very close, but neither club confirming that is has been finally agreed, and there are still some details to be agreed.

Also saying this is not an 'impulsive or reactionary signing' and that Lukaku was Mourinho's no 1 target since the end of the season; club is using its strategic partnership with Raiola to its advantage.

Suggesting that Moratta was always a fallback option and used as a smokescreen, whilst they negotiated with Lukaku in the background.

They expect Lukaku to join the club on the flight to USA tour.
Interesting now looking back to when Perez said we hadnt actually made formal inquiries. I thought at the time he was playing silly buggers but if we always wanted Lukaku and were confident of landing him we may have conducted the whole Morata through the press exclusively. We might have had no real intention of signing him - unless the first choice deal fell through.

JustinC00

If this happens then it's just another example of the media knowing feck all and just because we aren't briefing them regularly doesn't mean we aren't doing things

Jonno

Do people still doubt Mourinho now?

He's doing what everyone before him post SAF has failed. He's buying obvious upgrades right down the spine of the best 11.

No squad players, the best 11 gets upgraded every year. Fantastic to watch. We're on the up

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
James Beattie got into double digits in four consecutive Premier League seasons. Scored 24 for Southampton in 2002/03.

True, but Lukaku in his four seasons at Everton has gone from 15(14) to 20(10) to 25(18) to 26(25) goals, so there's a clear pattern of consistency with him in that his goalscoring keeps improving year on year as opposed to last year simply being a one-off like with Beattie in 02/03.

Jonno

If this happens then it's just another example of the media knowing feck all and just because we aren't briefing them regularly doesn't mean we aren't doing things
Absolutely. Everyday they guess, churning bullshit in the papers, until one day breaking news emerges wuth actual facts. Bang, out of nowhere we've agreed a deal to sign Lukaku.

Member 5225

Do people still doubt Mourinho now?

He's doing what everyone before him post SAF has failed. He's buying obvious upgrades right down the spine of the best 11.

No squad players, the best 11 gets upgraded every year. Fantastic to watch. We're on the up
Yeah love that about Jose!

Crashoutcassius

I said it early in the summer but say ti again now - with Griezmann you want to sign morata and let them work off each other. With no Greizmann then Lukaku is the main man

Makes signing a winger all the more important for me now. Fairly pointless having the big man if we can't get balls into the box and can only cut inside and try clever like one twos

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Also it's nice that this summer and last the media don't seem to be getting leaks from us anymore. Seems like we are just using them for our own agenda. I love it.

Kag

What a shit point. Lukaku isn't James Beattie. He's comfortably better than James Beattie. The arguments stands to reason on the basis that Romelu Lukaku quite clearly isn't James bloody Beattie.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Just curious, then how you rate strikers given that obviously goal scoring records don't mean that much?

Dobbs

Put it this way, our attack isn't going to be built around Lukaku to the extent Everton's was, simply because we have other talented attackers. Can Lukaku link up well with them? Maybe, maybe not. Your point about consistency is fair, and it was one of my concerns about Morata along with PL adjustment. However, there are question marks around Lukaku too.
Being alongside better players can't be a bad thing for a striker.

If that is a concern though it's also true for any of the other available targets.

Robertd0803

We shot ourself in the foot with the Pogba fee

Now we are paying the price!

Just wondering what £19m in 2001 would be in today's money
£75 Million apparently.

Doubt BBC are wrong on this. Are Everton lining up any deals and don't want to be fleeced with other clubs knowing they have an extra £75m in the bank?
Unlikely. Everton have bought several (expensive) players already plus they have Rooney more than likely to come in as well. So unless they are buying an entirely new starting 11 Id reckon they are pretty much done and dusted in the transfer window. Unless of course they flog Barkley in which case they are likely to make another £35 Million plus at least. Fantastic business all round for Everton really.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Absolute scenes?! Out of nowhere. Ed Woodward. Take a bow son.

LeftyBlaster

Genuinely surprised by this. Would rather have Morata but we do need a bully to put away those lower teams we couldn't finish off. If that helps us get the points and Jose trusts Lukaku to do it while we feck with Real's Mbappe's plans then so be it!

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Hmmmm, £75m for the new Heskey? ;)

I'm not over the moon about this tbh. I was pretty set on Morata, the better all-rounder. :(
Emile Heskey: 633 apps, 130 goals.
Romelu Lukaku: 259 apps, 139 goals. (All of this while he is only 24)

Yeah, totally the new Emile Heskey buddy. Walk it off mate and wobble your head.

Enigma_87

You know who

Did Beattie score 100+ goals in 5 consecutive seasons, whilst being 19-24? I somehow doubt so.

Status
Not open for further replies.