Romelu Lukaku | United confirm deal subject to medical and personal terms

How do you feel about the imminent signing of Romelu Lukaku?

• Muppetastic!

Votes: 456 20.6%
  • Happy enough

Votes: 1,222 55.2%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 370 16.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 112 5.1%
  • Oh please god no!

Votes: 54 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Interesting now looking back to when Perez said we hadnt actually made formal inquiries. I thought at the time he was playing silly buggers but if we always wanted Lukaku and were confident of landing him we may have conducted the whole Morata through the press exclusively. We might have had no real intention of signing him - unless the first choice deal fell through.
Yeah. He was telling the truth, getting very annoyed that we were unsettling his player. Good to give him a dose of his own tactics!

Pass and Move

I think I'd enjoy watching Morata play more than I would Lukaku, however if we were lining up against, say, City with one of those two against us, who would you be more scared of facing? I'd say Lukaku. Despite being a less talented player, he would prove to be more effective.

Castia

SSN saying that a deal is very close, but neither club confirming that is has been finally agreed, and there are still some details to be agreed.

Also saying this is not an 'impulsive or reactionary signing' and that Lukaku was Mourinho's no 1 target since the end of the season; club is using its strategic partnership with Raiola to its advantage.

Suggesting that Moratta was always a fallback option and used as a smokescreen, whilst they negotiated with Lukaku in the background.

They expect Lukaku to join the club on the flight to USA tour.

The deal gets better and better looks like we played Madrid like a fecking fiddle.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Please God let this be true and end the pursuit of that Madrid reject Morata. :angel:

vodrake

Also it's nice that this summer and last the media don't seem to be getting leaks from us anymore. Seems like we are just using them for our own agenda. I love it.
It's been like that for the last 4 summers really, but every year people forget it.

We found out we were signing Shneiderlin only when somebody posted a photo of a blood vial from his medical on Twitter, journalists didn't even know we'd agreed a fee for him.

A day before we finally signed Herrera, British Journalist's were still telling people that United wouldn't be going back for him after the cock-up the previous year.

Needham

That Everton Forum has a nerve asking visitors to sign in during "exceptionally busy periods". Imagine having to go through years long the nightmare of getting 10 likes again.

Member 57516

If true, well done to keep it under wraps to not letting Chelsea know about it. Jose even made baldy write that article to cover it up!
Interesting, with all the doom and gloom that's been floating around about us not doing much business, this quietly happens. Just goes to show that we have very little idea of what is happening behind the scenes.

I am now convinced we'll announce Bale and Neymar within a couple of weeks ;)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This is more or less what Duncan castles said isn't it. ManUtd are negotiating with multiple players before making the final call. Lindelof and Keane, now Morata and Lukaku.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It's been like that for the last 4 summers really, but every year people forget it.

We found out we were signing Shneiderlin only when somebody posted a photo of a blood vial from his medical on Twitter, journalists didn't even know we'd agreed a fee for him.

A day before we finally signed Herrera, British Journalist's were still telling people that United wouldn't be going back for him after the cock-up the previous year.
Guess that's true pal. Just goes to show the media, and all these journos on twitter no absolutely eff all, and are just making the same educated guesses we could make.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Jamie Jackson said at the very start of the summer "Mourinho is obsessed with Lukaku."
Yep - fair enough, I remember this. I can't find the article though, can you find it?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Emile Heskey: 633 apps, 130 goals.
Romelu Lukaku: 259 apps, 139 goals. (All of this while he is only 24)

Yeah, totally the new Emile Heskey buddy. Walk it off mate and wobble your head.
amazing stats.

Let's assume because he is now matured and joins us (ie a top club), we can expect a 25-40% improvement in those stats.

184 goals (33% improvement) in next 259 appearances (or 5 seasons @51 games per season)

that's 36 goals per season for 5 years which is better than Shearer or Ruud standards!

BigCaine

This is more or less what Duncan castles said isn't it. ManUtd are negotiating with multiple players before making the final call. Kindle of and Keane, now Morata and Lukaku.
I know we need someone who reads the game well in defense but this is taking things way too literally.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States

And next summer people will completely forget about everything that happened this summer. When it comes to transfer seasons so many of us are goldfish.

Dobbs

It's not a concern for Morata, coming from Real Madrid.
You could easily flip it around and say maybe Morata is used to be surrounded by world class players so isn't ready for the responsibility of being the main striker for Utd.

You can explore hypothetical, tenuous negatives forever.

fergosaurus

Unlikely. Everton have bought several (expensive) players already plus they have Rooney more than likely to come in as well. So unless they are buying an entirely new starting 11 Id reckon they are pretty much done and dusted in the transfer window. Unless of course they flog Barkley in which case they are likely to make another £35 Million plus at least. Fantastic business all round for Everton really.
I think Rooney will play a bit behind the striker which leaves them with a 21yo coming from a different league as their main outlet. There's rumours they're in for Giroud but not sure they're from any credible sources yet.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
No we won't. He is awful in games where there is anything riding on the game. Missing a penalty in a cup semi against us. We will beat up the little teams, lose the big games and will be fine as long as we don't dare get to a cup final.
José wins trophies, Rom scores goals...

Mourinho in finals is a master.

Miscemayl

Doubt BBC are wrong on this. Are Everton lining up any deals and don't want to be fleeced with other clubs knowing they have an extra £75m in the bank?
Think they've finished splashing the cash and hence announcing the deal now

Reckon we had this in the bag for a while

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Emile Heskey: 633 apps, 130 goals.
Romelu Lukaku: 259 apps, 139 goals. (All of this while he is only 24)

Yeah, totally the new Emile Heskey buddy. Walk it off mate and wobble your head.
:)

AKDevil

All about exact wording. From United side it's £75m fee accepted, Everton saying no deal agreed. Both might be right. They might not have agreed on the exact breakdown of that £75m or any potential add ons.

conflicting stories coming out on this one? Some say deal accepted, some say not. The drama continues. Maybe this is the final smoke screen for Morata? :lol: muppet season is official lads
ton

Siorac

Just curious, then how you rate strikers given that obviously goal scoring records don't mean that much?
It's a decent indicator, obviously. What I took issue with is that his goalscoring record alone makes it ridiculous that some people don't rate him. There are valid reasons to not rate Lukaku that highly. It's certainly not laughable, despite his decent and consistent record for mid-table Premier League teams.

TheBiggest

What. A. Signing.

I'm still none the wiser, nobody is sharing anything with me. But other journalists have definitely been made aware that United and Everton are tieing up lose ends on a huge deal. Apparently United - who deal in USDollar - have had a bid of $95m accepted by Everton. Player agreed terms months ago. Lukaku was ALWAYS Mourinho's first choice (news to me) and he has been really frustrated that this wasn't wrapped up weeks ago as Lukaku and Mourinho always knew this move was on this summer. Lukaku said in May he knew where he was going in the summer, we all assumed Chelsea, he meant Man United,

He ticks every box we need ticking in a centre-forward. We failed at scoring enough goals against bottom half teams, Lukaku buries bottom half teams with half-chances. He is perfect for us. I had doubt over Morata being a success here. I have no doubt about Lukaku whatsoever.

El-Manos

Raoila whoring himself out to ousmane Dembele, another master plan? :drool: Are any of his clients a defensive midfielder ?

Fully Fledged

My only concern is that he seems to bully the smaller teams and score for fun against them but I don't remember him having many, or any, good games against the top 5 or 6?

I remember in the semi final of the FA Cup against us he missed countless chances.
He scored a hatrick against us.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ah so youre not happy about Lukaku?

Im happy because we got our business done under the radar, we got a decent price in the context of this market, and because the guy scores goals.

If that makes me small time I can live with it.
I'm happy about Lukaku and not happy with Morata :lol: Honestly I'd have prefered Morata but still happy nonetheless

Status
Not open for further replies.