g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rugby 2017 Discussion

Sparky Rhiwabon

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
It's not meant to be a "European championship" tournament though. It's an invitation tournament.

That said, I would chop Italy out and then let Italy, Georgia and whoever else have a prequalification tournament with the winner getting an invite to the next Six Nations.
Probably see this within the next three years.

diarm

Having heard the comments of the 6Nations chairman a few weeks ago it seems unlikely. They seem to think introducing promotion/relegation could destroy the game in Italy and they have a duty of care to them having brought them into the fold.

I don't see why we have a duty of care to Italy over Georgia/Germany/Portugal/Spain/Russia etc. The national team is somewhat supported but the club game over there is a shambles. I fear that the carrot of developing the game in as big a market as Italy, is blinding the powers that be to the disinterest shown by such vast areas of the country.

I can see them burying their head in the sand and not only keeping improving nations from the shot at top class test rugby, but also making the mistake of giving the World Cup to Italy where every game outside Rome will be a nonevent.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Having heard the comments of the 6Nations chairman a few weeks ago it seems unlikely. They seem to think introducing promotion/relegation could destroy the game in Italy and they have a duty of care to them having brought them into the fold.

I don't see why we have a duty of care to Italy over Georgia/Germany/Portugal/Spain/Russia etc. The national team is somewhat supported but the club game over there is a shambles. I fear that the carrot of developing the game in as big a market as Italy, is blinding the powers that be to the disinterest shown by such vast areas of the country.

I can see them burying their head in the sand and not only keeping improving nations from the shot at top class test rugby, but also making the mistake of giving the World Cup to Italy where every game outside Rome will be a nonevent.
Aren't Ireland the favourites for the world cup?

diarm

Aren't Ireland the favourites for the world cup?
I'd hope so but it seems fairly evens between Ireland and Italy at the moment.

Obviously I'm biased but if your making a decision on filling stadiums, rugby culture and the nation that has proved they can host cracking rugby matches I think it's an obvious call.

Still I'm terrified that they'll pick Italy to "further the game".

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I'd hope so but it seems fairly evens between Ireland and Italy at the moment.

Obviously I'm biased but if your making a decision on filling stadiums, rugby culture and the nation that has proved they can host cracking rugby matches I think it's an obvious call.

Still I'm terrified that they'll pick Italy to "further the game".
Surely that's what Japan is for.

Further the game in 2019 and then back to basics in 2023.

Something like South Korea/Japan in 02 and then Germany in 06.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Aren't France interested in hosting the 2023 World Cup? I don't expect them to get hosting rights considering they hosted the 2007 World Cup.

Zen

Italy withdrew from 2023 ages ago. Excusing some bonkers shenanigans, it's done and dusted as theirs.

diarm

Italy withdrew from 2023 ages ago. Excusing some bonkers shenanigans, it's done and dusted as theirs.
I missed that announcement and was just reading about it there. Both Italy and South Africa pulling out means it's just France and ourselves in the race.

I'd be fairly bloody miffed if they gave it to France again.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I want France to win but a world cup in Ireland sounds a lot better.

Redheads:drool:.

JPRouve

Scout
Who's the perv now :lol:

Imagine the craic a World Cup would be here. Of course, that's as long as global warming doesn't accelerate and Galway and Limerick don't disappear :lol:
I forgot about that.:lol:

Yeah, a World Cup in Ireland would be nice, I don't even see what would be the argument for France.

JPRouve

Scout
The mad thing is, I can't imagine the Top 14 teams being for a WC considering their relationship with the national team. It'd be a Coalition Of The Unwilling.
The relationship is a lot better now and 2023 is in a long time.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair enough. Out of interest, does it look like they can continue to repair the relationship?
To be honest, I don't know. They seem to be willing but the risks are huge for Top 14 clubs, every single one of them can be relegated if they lose their players for too long, so in my opinion the federation have to take some of the financial responsibilities through federal contracts, particularly since french players are extremely expensive.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
To be honest, I don't know. They seem to be willing but the risks are huge for Top 14 clubs, every single one of them can be relegated if they lose their players for too long, so in my opinion the federation have to take some of the financial responsibilities through federal contracts, particularly since french players are extremely expensive.
I agree. Centralised contracts have been fantastic for Ireland. Who has the balls and power to push that through though?

JPRouve

Scout
@JPRouve, my local team have just hired Kieran Keane from the Chiefs as head coach for next season. Any insight there?
He hasn't been with the Chiefs for long, since 2015. He was taking care of the backs and they were extremely good, the Chiefs have super clean set pieces and very effective offensive gameplans. Like all the Chiefs' staff, he is very good with young players and with all the injuries he has shown a great adaptability, also he has been very good in the ITM cup with the Tasman.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
He hasn't been with the Chiefs for long, since 2015. He was taking care of the backs and they were extremely good, the Chiefs have super clean set pieces and very effective offensive gameplans. Like all the Chiefs' staff, he is very good with young players and with all the injuries he has shown a great adaptability, also he has been very good in the ITM cup with the Tasman.
Sounds good to me! Cheers.

Crackers

greasy ginfers

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
So disappointed Warren Gatland isn't coaching Wales when they play Scotland today. I was going to take the piss out of Steve Hansen in light of his recent comments about Leinster coach Pat Lam by saying Wales and Scotland are coached by ex "New Zealanders". Alas it should be a good game at Murrayfield. Scotland fought hard in Paris two weeks ago but it was another dose of glorious failure for Scotland. Going to pick Wales to edge the game.

Seriously hoping we get the ITV commentary and the Irish commentary. The Irish commentators do a fine job of making people like Phil Kearns and Bobby Skinstad sound unbiased and that's no mean feat. For the sake of the tournament, I hope the winner between Ireland and France wins with a bonus point. I'd prefer Ireland to win because my wish for the tournament is the Ireland vs England game in Dublin ends up being the championship decider. Ireland at home will have just about enough to win.

Duafc

Village Lemon
It was the right decision to play for the try twice there, they then just did stupid slow shit.

Frustrating.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
So disappointed Warren Gatland isn't coaching Wales when they play Scotland today. I was going to take the piss out of Steve Hansen in light of his recent comments about Leinster coach Pat Lam by saying Wales and Scotland are coached by ex "New Zealanders". Alas it should be a good game at Murrayfield. Scotland fought hard in Paris two weeks ago but it was another dose of glorious failure for Scotland. Going to pick Wales to edge the game.

Seriously hoping we get the ITV commentary and the Irish commentary. The Irish commentators do a fine job of making people like Phil Kearns and Bobby Skinstad sound unbiased and that's no mean feat. For the sake of the tournament, I hope the winner between Ireland and France wins with a bonus point. I'd prefer Ireland to win because my wish for the tournament is the Ireland vs England game in Dublin ends up being the championship decider. Ireland at home will have just about enough to win.
Pat Lam is the Connacht coach, although he is leaving for Bristol from the start of the 2017/2018 season. Connacht's HC for next season is Kieran Keane, the Chiefs's Assistant Coach to Dave Rennie. Leinster's HC on the other hand is former Irish Second-Row Leo Cullen, with Stuart Lancaster interestingly as Assistant Coach (Cullen's more of a DoR and Lancaster is essentially the HC).

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Pat Lam is the Connacht coach, although he is leaving for Bristol from the start of the 2017/2018 season. Connacht's HC for next season is Kieran Keane, the Chiefs's Assistant Coach to Dave Rennie. Leinster's HC on the other hand is former Irish Second-Row Leo Cullen, with Stuart Lancaster interestingly as Assistant Coach (Cullen's more of a DoR and Lancaster is essentially the HC).
Haha, I missed that earlier, I had a migraine :D

On the match this evening, France seemed to give up early in the second half. The way it went, you'd get the feeling that if Ireland had taken their kicks in the first half, they may have given up even sooner. Miserable conditions and a ground out win, one injury change, fairly acceptable for Ireland I reckon.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Haha, I missed that earlier, I had a migraine :D

On the match this evening, France seemed to give up early in the second half. The way it went, you'd get the feeling that if Ireland had taken their kicks in the first half, they may have given up even sooner. Miserable conditions and a ground out win, one injury change, fairly acceptable for Ireland I reckon.
Truth be told, Ireland won more comfortably than the scoreline suggests. Even in those conditions however, I still feel the team's attack can become a bit blunt and ineffective at times, something which has cropped up in the past (Against NZ in Dublin and today). The most annoying aspect about it is that we do not have a lack of technically-polished players. All right, the team's skills may not quite be of NZ calibre but they're not a million miles away. Maybe it could have something to do with our attack being too scripted or the fact that we possibly play too deep in attack (The opposite being the uber-flat Australian attacking style).

England surely aiming for nothing less than BP win for England tomorrow to open up a nice cushion
WOuld have loved to see him go Farrell 10, Teo 12, Daly 13 and then Nowell and May on wings, but hey ho, nice to see Teo start

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Truth be told, Ireland won more comfortably than the scoreline suggests. Even in those conditions however, I still feel the team's attack can become a bit blunt and ineffective at times, something which has cropped up in the past (Against NZ in Dublin and today). The most annoying aspect about it is that we do not have a lack of technically-polished players. All right, the team's skills may not quite be of NZ calibre but they're not a million miles away. Maybe it could have something to do with our attack being too scripted or the fact that we possibly play too deep in attack (The opposite being the uber-flat Australian attacking style).
Yup, that sounds about right. They were talking in the analysis after the match about how they seemed to be turning down spinning it out wide even when they had numbers over. I think some of the tries against Italy showed the handling and offloading skills are there - it's a conscious tactic I think to play like they did today, plus the fact that they were getting mangled for the first 20mins at the breakdown.