Rugby 2017 Discussion

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
England surely aiming for nothing less than BP win for England tomorrow to open up a nice cushion
WOuld have loved to see him go Farrell 10, Teo 12, Daly 13 and then Nowell and May on wings, but hey ho, nice to see Teo start
Fear for Italy. Some of my Italian students are going, it's hard to know why :D

Fear for Italy. Some of my Italian students are going, it's hard to know why :D
I guess everyone expects that, and that is where you get bitten, players as well as supporters
Could easily see it being a closer game than expectations - with England as they have done kicking on with the replacement bench - be even more critical tomorrow, as Italy have even less depth than France and Wales

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I guess everyone expects that, and that is where you get bitten, players as well as supporters
Could easily see it being a closer game than expectations - with England as they have done kicking on with the replacement bench - be even more critical tomorrow, as Italy have even less depth than France and Wales
Nah, it'll be a cakewalk.

*complacency

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Yup, that sounds about right. They were talking in the analysis after the match about how they seemed to be turning down spinning it out wide even when they had numbers over. I think some of the tries against Italy showed the handling and offloading skills are there - it's a conscious tactic I think to play like they did today, plus the fact that they were getting mangled for the first 20mins at the breakdown.
Well, Schmidt is renowned as being the most tactically astute of all the Internationals Head Coaches and moreover, he tends to be very pragmatic with regards to game-planning (Horses for courses if you will). However, what worries me is that this uber-pragmatism, whilst beneficial in terms of results in the short-term, may prove to be more detrimental with regards to performances in the long-term. If we don't consistently play an expansive game (Which I think we should do), we're not going to be able to turn up and play an expansive game at RWC 2019. Personally, I feel that the expansive game of the likes of NZ allows them to thrive, whereas if the All Blacks adopted a more consistently pragmatic approach, their performances would decline and so would results. Mind you, that's just me and my views may have been heavily shaped by how Argentina ran riot against us at the last World Cup.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Well, Schmidt is renowned as being the most tactically astute of all the Internationals Head Coaches and moreover, he tends to be very pragmatic with regards to game-planning (Horses for courses if you will). However, what worries me is that this uber-pragmatism, whilst beneficial in terms of results in the short-term, may prove to be more detrimental with regards to performances in the long-term. If we don't consistently play an expansive game (Which I think we should do), we're not going to be able to turn up and play an expansive game at RWC 2019. Personally, I feel that the expansive game of the likes of NZ allows them to thrive, whereas if the All Blacks adopted a more consistently pragmatic approach, their performances would decline and so would results. Mind you, that's just me and my views may have been heavily shaped by how Argentina ran riot against us at the last World Cup.
*Argentina shivers....

Can't argue with that. The likes of Scotland's second try today was magic (was it the second?). I'm in Connacht and while the way they play can be infuriating sometimes when it goes wrong, when it goes right it's magic. And of course, Henshaw was a part of that last season. Ireland can do it too - they showed it against Italy, who are weak but the tries were still really well constructed.

Devil's advocate... do you think it was anything to do with Sexton being back in rather than Jackson?

You need a more expansive game, otherwise you run into a team with an excellent defence and struggle to break them down
The 6N game v England last springs to mind a little as well

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@JPRouve , what was your take on the match today? The commentators here were talking a lot about how the French team seemed to have a good relationship with each other, but it seems like they got really tired even before the end of the first half.
They are just bad, the technique is below average, the understanding of the game is below average, the set pieces are average. The players are physical I can't take that from them but they have nothing else.

In possession the players barely understand each others, the support runs are ridiculously bad, they don't offer space or viable passing options to the ball carrier. When the ball carrier is tackled the support and the cleaners take forever to arrive which creates lengthy rucks and plenty of time for the defense to organize itself. It's also not sure if the staff scripts the outing options, it doesn't look like it.

In defense it's just too bad, the rucks are rarely contested properly, the tacklers are rarely assisted, the offside line seems facultative, the forwards will often play the ball when they are offside or on the ground, the backs don't know how to play a flat or inverted defense let alone a deep one, the opposing wideouts are routinely left alone and there are big holes all across the line.

And as a side note, no one can kick the ball to save his life.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
They are just bad, the technique is below average, the understanding of the game is below average, the set pieces are average. The players are physical I can't take that from them but they have nothing else.

In possession the players barely understand each others, the support runs are ridiculously bad, they don't offer space or viable passing options to the ball carrier. When the ball carrier is tackled the support and the cleaners take forever to arrive which creates lengthy rucks and plenty of time for the defense to organize itself. It's also not sure if the staff scripts the outing options, it doesn't look like it.

In defense it's just too bad, the rucks are rarely contested properly, the tacklers are rarely assisted, the offside line seems facultative, the forwards will often play the ball when they are offside or on the ground, the backs don't know how to play a flat or inverted defense let alone a deep one, the opposing wideouts are routinely left alone and there are big holes all across the line.

And as a side note, no one can kick the ball to save his life.
Nice to see you're feeling optimistic. :lol:

Rawls

*Argentina shivers....

Can't argue with that. The likes of Scotland's second try today was magic (was it the second?). I'm in Connacht and while the way they play can be infuriating sometimes when it goes wrong, when it goes right it's magic. And of course, Henshaw was a part of that last season. Ireland can do it too - they showed it against Italy, who are weak but the tries were still really well constructed.

Devil's advocate... do you think it was anything to do with Sexton being back in rather than Jackson?
Short answer: No. Obviously, Jackson is more of a facilitator whereas Sexton is the midfield general. That being said, I don't think there is any particular facet of Jackson's game which you could say is significantly better than Sexton's at this moment in time. Jackson may be more adept at playing flatter (I'm not well-qualified enough to really know) but if he is, he is only slightly better.

One thing we have to remember though is that Sexton will be 34 by the time of RWC 2019. Jackson, Bleyendaal and Carbery will be 27, 29 and 24 respectively by the end of the next World Cup. I actually think we should be more like NZ in our selection approach in that we focus more on blooding the players who will likely be on the plane to Japan as opposed to picking our current best team (Short-term losses for long-term gains).

Rawls

You need a more expansive game, otherwise you run into a team with an excellent defence and struggle to break them down
The 6N game v England last springs to mind a little as well
I think Ireland play with width; the problem is however that we seem to lack any sort of attacking penetration. Bernard Jackman, Grenoble HC, was on RTE after the match and was pretty much saying that we weren't able to play our normal pretty game. I found this to be somewhat inaccurate, which is surprising considering that whenever I hear Jackman, he seems to speak very coherently with regards to his analysis.

Tarrou

Who's gonna win the title then? I fancy Ireland to win their last two games and pinch it.

Who's gonna win the title then? I fancy Ireland to win their last two games and pinch it.
England. Should beat Italy and Scotland at home
And who knows if a losing BP will be enough, could even go to Ireland and win

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Short answer: No. Obviously, Jackson is more of a facilitator whereas Sexton is the midfield general. That being said, I don't think there is any particular facet of Jackson's game which you could say is significantly better than Sexton's at this moment in time. Jackson may be more adept at playing flatter (I'm not well-qualified enough to really know) but if he is, he is only slightly better.

One thing we have to remember though is that Sexton will be 34 by the time of RWC 2019. Jackson, Bleyendaal and Carbery will be 27, 29 and 24 respectively by the end of the next World Cup. I actually think we should be more like NZ in our selection approach in that we focus more on blooding the players who will likely be on the plane to Japan as opposed to picking our current best team (Short-term losses for long-term gains).
Bleyendaal, hadn't even crossed my mind about him ending up Irish qualified. Jan 2018 it would be for him it seems. Madigan would be 29 too....

Rawls

Bleyendaal, hadn't even crossed my mind about him ending up Irish qualified. Jan 2018 it would be for him it seems. Madigan would be 29 too....
I'd be surprised if Madigan was still in contention in 2019. Bill Johnston, JJ Hanrahan and Ross Byrne are possible bolters IMO.

Tarrou

England. Should beat Italy and Scotland at home
And who knows if a losing BP will be enough, could even go to Ireland and win
It'll be enough if they also pick up a bonus point against Scotland, I think. Assuming Ireland beat Wales which seems likely.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Pat Lam is the Connacht coach, although he is leaving for Bristol from the start of the 2017/2018 season. Connacht's HC for next season is Kieran Keane, the Chiefs's Assistant Coach to Dave Rennie. Leinster's HC on the other hand is former Irish Second-Row Leo Cullen, with Stuart Lancaster interestingly as Assistant Coach (Cullen's more of a DoR and Lancaster is essentially the HC).
Cheers for that. I'll need to brush up on my knowledge of the Pro12.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I enjoyed the game in Dublin. To me, Ireland didn't look like losing after the first 15 minutes or so, a 15 minutes where France started ok. Two tries from three games must be a concern for France. Really want Ireland to beat Wales in a couple of weeks. Hope Italy can keep it respectable against England today. Can't see it happening though.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Who would be Zebo's cover at full back if Kearneys new injury keeps him out of the starting line up.
Trimble according to the bench and recent matches, with Gilroy most likely to come in at the moment on the bench given recent squads. There's a few potentials in the provinces though for a spare wing spot, depends on if form is taken into account vs previous involvement.

RORY65

Trimble according to the bench and recent matches, with Gilroy most likely to come in at the moment on the bench given recent squads. There's a few potentials in the provinces though for a spare wing spot, depends on if form is taken into account vs previous involvement.
Payne must be close to full fitness now, I would suggest 15 is his best position. The back three isn't the strongest part of the Ireland team though, I like Zebo but he's not been great so far in this 6 Nations (he was poor yesterday in particular).

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Payne must be close to full fitness now, I would suggest 15 is his best position. The back three isn't the strongest part of the Ireland team though, I like Zebo but he's not been great so far in this 6 Nations (he was poor yesterday in particular).
We'll see in about 45mins. In Ulster's squad for the match against Zebre today
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...y-bowe-set-for-milestone-appearance-1.2987868

This match and a match against Treviso next week to get a bit of match time.

Rawls

Cheers for that. I'll need to brush up on my knowledge of the Pro12.
To be fair, the Pro 12 never seems to be of that much importance for the teams that play in it. The Irish provinces put much more focus on the Champions Cup, the Welsh sides tend to consistently under-perform, Glasgow are the only good Scottish side, and the Italian sides are absolutely awful.

Shocking weather here today, how's it looking in England, anyone over there? A mudbath is about the only thing that can save Italy from a pasting today...
It's been wet past few days, but mostly dry day today with maybe some rain coming later, but could be ok

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Right, so what are the talking points going to be when my Italian student books a lesson next week :D Decent start Italy, but could have done with that kick to go over. Getting smashed is inevitable, but the final score depends on what time the rout begins. All points are vital for confidence.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
What the Italians are doing at the ruck or lack of ruck is quite interesting, care looks bewildered when he saw all the Italians all around him but not engaging.