SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
An old Yank woman at work is complaining that the school won't pay all her petrol and parking fees and refund her monthly train pass. She says the train is too dangerous. 'I need to look after my health'
She is absolutely fat as feck and gets out of breath just going up to the second floor of the school.

The general mistrust of the broader public isn't exactly proof that the majority of journalists are doing a bad job. Since when does public opinion matter so much? People are angry. Some direct this anger towards China, some to politicians, and some to journalists. Even trust in scientists is failing - partly because they all have different takes on the matter. The reason behind the mistrust is because one person would read something, hang on to the theory and dump any hypothesis or article that dare cast any doubt on it.

An opinion piece by the media is just that - an opinion. We all have them. An interview with a scientist is just another opinion. All in all, nobody really knows this virus, but everyone thinks they do.
But news is supposed to be factual, not opinion. They've been getting the two very confused lately.

GlasgowRedz

Seriously?! They stopped in Ireland. Surely they stopped in the UK too? (with maybe a few exceptions)
Think construction sites in England and Wales carried on but in Scotland they were instructed to close unless they were working on essential infrastructure (hospitals, utilities etc).

I work mainly on house building sites and they're all shut up here until the Scottish government say otherwise.

Taylor Wimpey said yesterday that they were intending to reopen their sites in England and Wales a week on Monday after closing them voluntarily.

finneh

Seriously?! They stopped in Ireland. Surely they stopped in the UK too? (with maybe a few exceptions)
Most house builders shut voluntarily due to repressed demand for new homes.

With contractors it's been a mixed bag due to pressure to complete. Many closed for the initial three week period, with the sites that didn't implementing a restriction on numbers. Most have now said they're reopening on either 27th April or 4th May (again with reduced numbers).

Housebuilders can also (on the whole) afford a several week shutdown, contractors generally can't.

fellwin

So reading my morning Covid brief from Deutsche Bank I fell over this info from New Jersey:

New York’s neighboring state New Jersey is set to pass 100,000 cases itself later today, though the state has seen a lower mortality rate with 5368 deaths. The Governor of the state said that test results were coming faster recently, now taking five to seven days, rather than as long as 14 days. This highlights that some of these case numbers may be quite backward looking.

Does anyone know if it generally takes up to two weeks to get results all over the world? And wont that mean that the numbers of daily cases we are seeing now are actually quite old and representative what happened more than a week ago?

lynchie

So reading my morning Covid brief from Deutsche Bank I fell over this info from New Jersey:

New York’s neighboring state New Jersey is set to pass 100,000 cases itself later today, though the state has seen a lower mortality rate with 5368 deaths. The Governor of the state said that test results were coming faster recently, now taking five to seven days, rather than as long as 14 days. This highlights that some of these case numbers may be quite backward looking.

Does anyone know if it generally takes up to two weeks to get results all over the world? And wont that mean that the numbers of daily cases we are seeing now are actually quite old and representative what happened more than a week ago?
There's certainly a lag, although I don't know if it's as long as 14 days.

This page: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga=2.227109341.1509034505.1587716836-905153305.1584438892 shows the English confirmed cases by date of specimen (similar to the data that gives deaths by date of death, rather than date of announcment) and seems to show very low numbers for the last 2-3 days, which would suggest a few days lag.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The majority I know have carried on, my firm doesn't exactly make essential products but the work is still coming in so we are still open.

We had a letter from the government thanking us, saying we are essential "for the economy".

Alabaster Codify7

My mate works in the building trade, they were temporarily sent home for 2 weeks on 80% pay but yesterday they went back to work, he's currently working on a job building new homes which is considered essential work. I guess it might depend on the type of work being conducted, the urgency and who is paying/has paid for it. I think by mid-May a lot of building and construction will be business as usual though.

FrantikChicken

I live on the Thames and there's a massive construction site right outside my window right now. They rolled it in a couple of weeks into lockdown. Maybe it's essential, I'm not sure what they're doing exactly

Sparky Rhiwabon

I live on the Thames and there's a massive construction site right outside my window right now. They rolled it in a couple of weeks into lockdown. Maybe it's essential, I'm not sure what they're doing exactly
Doesn't have to be essential - its work from home if you can, they obviously can't. And, in fact, construction only has to follow social distancing where possible, and in general its not

Rajma

Construction, road and building works never stopped in Lithuania either throughout the quarantine, even though we had it really strict by all accounts.

Construction, road and building works never stopped in Lithuania either throughout the quarantine, even though we had it really strict by all accounts.
They're using the lockdown in Italy as an opportunity to do roadworks and stuff like that. Normal construction is suspended though.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The majority I know have carried on, my firm doesn't exactly make essential products but the work is still coming in so we are still open.

We had a letter from the government thanking us, saying we are essential "for the economy".
A letter, that’s nice of them

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
So, Donald Doc has spoken. Who wants to join me in injecting toilet bleach and sticking a torch up our arses?
Would be very nice if he could just down a bottle of bleach at the podium tonight in the rose garden as a demonstration. Would solve a lot of problems in a very short time.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
A letter, that’s nice of them
I thought so too, yeah we will just possibly get infected and then infect our families just to save the economy.

Yet we don't fall in to the category as essential workers to get school childcare ( not that I would send them anyway but still it's a farce) I have colleagues that have no other choice but to book holidays to look after their children.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I wonder how people are supposed to keep their facemasks on and not touch them in pubs and clubs while I assume drinking, eating or kissing from time to time.
Have you not seen Hannity’s explanation of how you can eat a hot dog at a ball game?!

1min 10secs.

Balljy

Have you not seen Hannity’s explanation of how you can eat a hot dog at a ball game?!
Pro-choice, saving the lives of the more vulnerable yet lifting his mask to eat hot dogs and drink beer in a packed stadium (but according to him it's outside so "better")

Wow.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Pro-choice, saving the lives of the more vulnerable yet lifting his mask to eat hot dogs and drink beer in a packed stadium (but according to him it's outside so "better")

Wow.
Yea but he’s doing it quickly so it’s fine.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

1min 10secs.
It can't be a coincidence that everytime he opens his mouth, inanity is the word that comes to mind.

NinjaFletch

Only in Tory Britain is there enough demand for tests to close the testing website before lunch time and, simultaneously, not enough demand to excuse their failure to meet testing targets.

Smores

I suppose putting up a website that let's people order a kit is one way to suddenly reach a promised testing figure. It'll be interesting to track the actual testing figure rather than what Hancock will claim.

Alabaster Codify7

I suppose putting up a website that let's people order a kit is one way to suddenly reach a promised testing figure. It'll be interesting to track the actual testing figure rather than what Hancock will claim.

Yeah forgive me for not viewing this as anything other than a load of PR bollocks to make the government look more proactive than they are actually. Something stinks about it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
My dad never used to get colds (a corona virus) etc when's he smoked like a chimney but does since he quit, so this doesn't surprise me.
TBH that is bullshit. Former smokers merely notice more minor colds because they aren't coughing their guts up due to smoklng.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What sort of kit is it? Is it a swab for PCR? Not a hope of joe public using that properly. You need to ram it so far up your nose you feel like you’re tickling your brain.

If it’s just finger prick serology then that’s a completely different type of test to what Hancock promised. Can’t diagnose people who are acutely infected.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Now can one of ye please invent a vaccine?!
I’m massively worried about Vaccine roll out.

If it’s done fast, many may fail and potentially hurt people

If it’s done swiftly, many right headed people will not want to go first

If it’s done in competition we end up with competing solutions where none should exist. That introduces many problems

The anti vaxxers are going to have a field day when people reject early Vaccines. They’ll see everything as another brick in their wall of crazy.

Zero confidence in any of the future messaging handling this well.

Balljy

What is happening in Spain, new cases & casualties seem to have flat lined over the past few days. Is this how it is going to go until the vaccine is developed?
It took Wuhan nearly 2 months to get rid of it with people literally welded inside their homes. It will take a lot longer in Europe.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It took Wuhan nearly 2 months to get rid of it with people literally welded inside their homes. It will take a lot longer in Europe.
How has it gone away in Wuhan though? Is it through a lack of reinfections and hosts not being available (locked up safely) which resulted in the virus dying out naturally in the area? Not sure how that works because my daughter is 6/7 weeks in with clear moderate symptoms and there seems to be no end in sight for her isolation. There must be cases like that in Wuhan, new patient zeroes if you like.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How has it gone away in Wuhan though? Is it through a lack of reinfections and hosts not being available (locked up safely) which resulted in the virus dying out naturally in the area? Not sure how that works because my daughter is 6/7 weeks in with clear moderate symptoms and there seems to be no end in sight for her isolation. There must be cases like that in Wuhan, new patient zeroes if you like.
Haven't heard about Wuhan for about a week so i assumed no news was good news, although i said that mid February when it briefly went quiet on the virus front so maybe i should assume no news is bad news!