SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Bus driver infected in Poland and died last night. 43 years old. He was still working until very recently despite feeling ill, apparently been told to come to work regardless by his boss. He may have infected many, many more.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why isn't the US implementing a lockdown? Here in India it's being done and our number of cases are tiny so far.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Received two texts from nurses at Wythenshawe hospital today. Place is now filling up with a lot of healthy young people. One is terrified to work.

I am NOT trying to scaremonger but we are about to hit the fan.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
The government is insisting that's the case while there's already a confirmed case in Pune. It's a load of bollocks.
One case doesn't mean community transmission has started. A lockdown has been implemented in Pune and Mumbai, and people arriving from abroad are being compulsorily quarantined. All indications are that the virus will be stopped before it reaches the levels in US, Europe.

Guy Incognito

The hysteria people have around Cummings is really something else. They view him as some sort machiavellian Bond villain, where as the reality being he is a late 40's shit poster who got lucky.
He'll be found out sooner or later. He is deranged.

It feels inevitable a lockdown will happen in the UK, people are still not paying attention to warnings.

ryansgirl

well then the west will have to dramatically downgrade its standards of "commoditised luxury" if it has to bring manufacturing back into their own nations.
My brain isn't big enough to think through the ramifications of this, if the world decides to penalise China for this.
Why are you using emotive and irrelevant words such as `penalise` to describe what could be a logical response to the repercussions we are now seeing of shifting key industries overseas? Regardless of whether it is China.

Many people who have never really got into globalisation issues in any knowledgeable way - not referring to you by the way - have been shocked to the core by the over-reliance of developed countries on China. Sending some key industries to another country thereby giving significant numbers of your own people the message that they are redundant has been behind much of the social incohesion and falling living standards for some time now.

Add to that China`s monopoly on some vital products and goods that developed countries certainly have the expertise and workforce to produce themselves and this health emergency - it becomes clearer. So many vital kinds of prescription medicine are made in China for export to our countries. When supply lines are cut then it becomes like russian roulette. That`s only only one of literally hundreds of examples.

China makes key components of multiple types of machinery including essential medical machinery. We have the expertise in our own countries to do that at both design and workforce levels. This isn`t about getting back at China for a virus - this is a much broader issue that goes to the heart of our current socio-economic systems in our countries.

Fergies Gum

Utter madness. Government needs to take action now as the situation in the supermarkets is getting worse.

redshaw

Germany not undercounting deaths

Said before that they have a huge amount of testing (300k) and probably found the majority who have it at this early time but countries with an advanced outbreak may have many 10s of thousands more if not 100k+ out there in reality. Germany is not the tourist hopspot of France or Spain or Italy and I'd probably put the big european countries in this order of real outbreak Italy/Spain, France, UK/Germany. Germany have much better healthcare but the scale in reality is not inline with France or Spain and behind UK. If UK/France/Spain had tested as much you'd find the cases dwarf Germany and it would put the death toll in more context.

Germany look like some other countries from a few weeks ago with under a hundred deaths but just with a huge amount of testing. Good news for them is people have a bigger reason to self isolate if they know they have it and have brought in measures at the same time as other countries which have much worse and earlier outbreaks. We'll see if they somewhat catch up or manage to gently break the chain.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Utter madness. Government needs to take action now as the situation in the supermarkets is getting worse.

Yep and no delivery slots for the next 3 weeks on any supermarket as far as I can see. So I'll have to join them in a couple of weeks unfortunately.

Having said that though, my sister who works at Aldi has been sent home early today as they're quiet apparently :confused:

Sparky Rhiwabon

Head of the NHS shaming people for panic buying whilst he is busy panic buying ventilators, masks, tests etc. Pot meet kettle. white text applies

Last edited:
Reactions: Grinner

Drawfull

Yep and no delivery slots for the next 3 weeks on any supermarket as far as I can see. So I'll have to join them in a couple of weeks unfortunately.

Having said that though, my sister who works at Aldi has been sent home early today as they're quiet apparently :confused:
Prime Now have slots, keep checking repeatedly - they only appear briefly. My parents were repatriated, and when they got home the fridge freezer circuit had tripped. They have managed to place order with Prime Now.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Apart from stating the obvious, what has caused all the panic in England? The press? TV?
It is completely normal in Japan.

mu4c_20le

Meh, American senators shaming people for panicking at a bad flu, whilst they are panic selling their stocks.

ryansgirl

From what I’ve seen so far, most of the people passing away from this are indeed elderly, have co-morbidities however that is far from the whole story. But what’s scary is how quickly they deteriorate, this is not a ‘flu’ that’s for sure.

Young people, with no previous health conditions are also getting this and becoming seriously ill that they require ventilators.
I`d be interested to know the percentage of those young people who smoke, vape, smoke marijuana and hash, and use shisha pipes.
I heard but can`t confirm it that the Netherlands has such cases of young people - both the legalised drug culture there and Muslim immigrants/their children who use shisha pipes might explain that.
There were also cases last year in the US of vapers becoming very sick - again can`t give the reference but I read a couple of news stories from the US.

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

The Tesco where I work (Barrow-in-Furness) is opening an hour early today at 10am purely for health workers and our own staff.
I would hope that is the same across the country.
Quite a few have done the same, Blackpool there were queuing from 6am !!! some NHS workers could not get near, the even managers to black the M 56 both ways, absolute feckwits all of them.

Giggs86

Meh, American senators shaming people for panicking at a bad flu, whilst they are panic selling their stocks.
They're not panic selling, it's a calculated move. They had insider information and knew when to sell high only to buy back low. Hope them cnuts are persecuted for this.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Why isn't the US implementing a lockdown? Here in India it's being done and our number of cases are tiny so far.
Its generally accepted that these things will be handled at state and city level, which is why mayors and governors are at the forefront of imposing lockdowns and closures in states.

ManchesterYoda

If you are fully trusting of the government and media it's easy to blindly follow their advice without question.
Do you think it's easy for people who don't trust the government and media to do the same?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Was the shopping frenzy today because of people buying flowers and cards for their mum?
Who knows, the sun is shining though so that's not helping. I drove past B&Q earlier and I couldn't believe how mental the car park was, people obviously going to get gardening stuff. We're screwed if we carry on like this the government needs to do the same as what they're doing in Italy.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Apart from stating the obvious, what has caused all the panic in England? The press? TV?
People posting and tweeting photos of empty shelves or queues at supermarkets meaning that everyone else thinks they'd better get stuff before it runs out leading to more of the above etc etc

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Prime Now have slots, keep checking repeatedly - they only appear briefly. My parents were repatriated, and when they got home the fridge freezer circuit had tripped. They have managed to place order with Prime Now.
Thanks, will take a look now.

ryansgirl

I`d say complacent although the mask wearing is going strong among a lot of people.

Still no toilet paper anywhere in my part of Tokyo - I am not working at home although a significant number of Japanese are still doing so and I don`t have the leisure time of housewives to go early and clear the shelves as the selfish people among them are doing. Of course the Yakuza - organised crime for those who don`t know that word - have also played a big role in toilet paper/tissue paper/wet wipes stripping off shelves so they can send them overseas or re-sell here for high prices online or elsewhere.

Still no toilet paper in other parts of Tokyo too as well as some other shortages. Spring is here and increasing numbers of Japanese are kidding themselves that the worst has passed even while testing numbers remain irresponsibly low. I think the 1,000 plus cases and 35 deaths will jump relatively soon especially as so many Japanese have been jetting abroad to Europe etc before borders were closed or other restrictions by other countries put in place.

The virus is now being spread in waves of infections coming through international travel returnees - I doubt Japan will have any magical exemption.

mu4c_20le

Was the shopping frenzy today because of people buying flowers and cards for their mum?
For some probably, there was a lad holding a bunch of flowers in one of those Tesco vids posted on the last page.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We have presidential elections coming up on May 10 and leader of our governing party came out and said there’s no way they are going to postpone them under any circumstances (their candidate, current president, is leading all polls). We have no option to vote online in Poland either so you have to go and vote in person. All current measures are pointless if you go through with that as that will accelerate spread of the virus significantly.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
If you are fully trusting of the government and media it's easy to blindly follow their advice without question.
Do you think it's easy for people who don't trust the government and media to do the same?
I think a lot of Americans fiercely protect their individual liberties, which will make it hard for the authorities to impose restrictive measures on lifestyles. In the UK, a lot of people won't do anything until they're forced to do it, just because of a lack of interest in/care about anyone outside their immediate families.

Drawfull

We're really screwed. Yesterday the president spoke for half an hour and said absolutely nothing helpful.
Are you in Andalucía?
I'm hoping that during the additional 2 weeks much stricter measures will come in but of course it needs to be now.

Yeah, but not a touristy part. I saw this coming weeks ago, already work from home, and have stuff for at least a couple of months if careful so not going out at all. Most people around here are observing the rules, mainly foreigners seem to be carrying on as normal.

edit: German woman across the road has just come back from a 3 hour dog walk, for example. Silly cow.