Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Way too young to say if he’s going to be good or not but haven’t we learned anything with Jesse? McT could become a really impressive player in his mid 20s. He’s physically gifted and obviously got to be a good footballer to get this far into the first team. He was poor tonight though. It just goes to show you can never tell which youth will end up really making it!

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Really? He lost the ball at least 3-4 times in the first half and ran into players blindly while trying to dribble.

Thought he was bang average in the first half - didn't see the second half so cannot comment.
I don't care about players losing the ball if they are trying something, I don't believe he did anything blindly and was responsible for one of the better openings of that first half.

Sandyman

Thought his performance improved as the game went on. He certainly puts himself about and does not shrink away. Bit of a headless chicken but hopefully he sorts himself and keeps improving.

worldinmotion66

I thought he had a decent game and there are a lot of over-critical comments here. His role was to cover ground and break forward to disrupt their lines and create space for our attackers, and he looked decent on the ball despite a few poorly chosen and executed passes. Alexis Sanchez ballooned a couple into the stands ffs, and he's probably earning 20 times (20 times...Man United) more than McTominay.

When you're playing a second rate side (no offense yeovil)) and have Carrick in the side, you don't really need to worry too much about positioning.

I don't think the lad's ever let us or himself down.

Rednotdead

McTominay is well on the way to becoming a Utd regular. Mourinho rates him highly or he wouldn't be anywhere near the first team squad. Within 2 or 3 years or so this guy will be a massive player for us.

NK86

I don't care about players losing the ball if they are trying something, I don't believe he did anything blindly and was responsible for one of the better openings of that first half.
Yeah, losing the ball while trying to play a through ball or trying something outrageous is fine but he lost it while trying to play simple passes or a simple dribble near the half way line.

Not saying he won't improve but I don't really see, at least based on the first half, how he was anything other than ranging between poor and average with one good shot in between.

yfoFC

Mahn, don't people get we don't need a squad full of superstars to be an elite team. The same people that are complaining about him are the ones who will be abusing average players who don't want to be squad players here

Here is a ready made squad player who will just be happy to turn up for united when established players need a rest, and can play football to a degree that he won't be a detriment to the team.

Fantastic player to have IMO as long as he's used the right way

SSSSnake

Good range of passing and showed a solid physical presence in the middle. Very happy with his performance today....will be interesting to follow his progression.

Steven Seagull

Almost as pointless as keeping him as as a sixth option for two midfield places. If we draw a top team on Monday I can't see him getting any minutes until the end of the season, especially now that Carrick and Fellaini are back.
He’s not going to get any football at wba either. They’re in a relegation battle and will probably be out of the cup this weekend too

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I don't see any particular ability that will make him a player for us in the long term. That's not to say he won't make it, because development can happen quickly and me being wrong is far from unusual.

What i will give him is that whenever he has played for us, he hasn't really looked out of place and not been making any huge mistakes.

Always like to see young players getting time, so i'm really happy Jose is having faith in him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Type of players like McTominay will always get a lot of stick on RedCafe. It was the same with Fletcher and Evans. Lingard too got way to much critisism.

In Lingards case, you would think that people would be a bit careful considering that three different managers, Ferguson, van Gaal and Mourinho, has expressed and shown a lot of faith in the player. Considering how much more these men have seen from Lingard, and how much more experience they have in evaluating players, it borders to outright stupidity to slash him of in the manner some did.

On another note, the need some people feel to slash a player of based on limited minutes (90, 180 or even 500 is quite limited) strikes me as clueless.

I consequently believe that it is inevtiable that the same people will go for McTominay, claiming he is Championship-level or similar. I think he did okay yesterday. In general he was more or less at the same level as Herrera and Carrick. He made a few mistakes, but at this surface you would expect that. At 21 and with no game rythm we should accept it.

He seems like an intelligent player with good movement of the ball (both when we are in possession and when we are not). He recently finished his growth spurt, and looks underdevloped physically. Mourinho likes him and believe in him. The other players like him and believe in him. Why not give him the benefit of a bit of time?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Surprised people are writing him off so early.

Can anyone tell me what Fletcher was better at than McTominay at the same age?
At 21 Fletcher had shown a lot more in his game than McTominay, he had a good passing range and crossing ability and box-to-box energy. He scored that winner against Chelsea at 21 and had been trusted to start matches like the FA Cup semifinal against Arsenal at 20.

OldTrevil

I thought he had a good game, bar the one ill-advised long pass to Herrera that immediately put us under pressure. He'll surely learn from such things. A quietly impressive game overall.

Litch

Reflected on it and I guess as a DM, the attributes are there. The issue for me is I can't see the technical ability. I get the feeling if he was 'smaller', he wouldn't be in there.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think he's done alright. He's not going to get you on the edge of your seat but he's done well to get 10 appearances so far. There is obviously a lot of mistrust. He didn't have a great big reputation coming through youth and people are now trying to work out what type of a player he is and what he can offer. Sometimes luck comes into success. Pearson, Harrop were more known but Scotts been given a chance. He was unlucky not to score. I just think we have to trust Jose and the coaches.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Surprised people are writing him off so early.

Can anyone tell me what Fletcher was better at than McTominay at the same age?
Fletcher was very highly regarded within Old Trafford as a teenager. He was primed to make his debut at 15(?), which would've made him our youngest ever footballer by a long way, but Ferguson couldn't put him on as somebody got injured and we had to use a different third sub to solve that problem.

Beagle

It's always one of two extremes when it comes to youth players getting in the first team. Either he is a world beater or a nothing player. There's a lot of middle ground in this debate and that is where Mctominay falls probably.

Sure he can improve in a lot of areas and hopefully he will do so. A good loan move is what he needs.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
As for McTominay, I like him but I think he'll be sold this summer. Teams like Newcastle or Stoke might be better suited to his talents and their own midfield needs.

POF

Reflected on it and I guess as a DM, the attributes are there. The issue for me is I can't see the technical ability. I get the feeling if he was 'smaller', he wouldn't be in there.
I agree. I never thought he was anything special but he has impressed in his opportunities in the first team so far.

The unusual thing about McTominay is that until quite recently he was smaller (and quite significantly so). If he is going to improve as a player he needs to add more to his game. To me that is goals from midfield. He shows good composure in attacking areas and was unlucky not to score at Yeovil.

I don't think he really uses his physique very well just now. It's not surprising because for most of his career it wasn't any great strength. If he can play the "Fellaini role" in the squad, he'll be a very useful squad member.

AndyJ1985

Looks like a more aggressive and clumsy Tom Cleverley to me. Devoid of any technical ability and painfully average at everything.

Litch

I agree. I never thought he was anything special but he has impressed in his opportunities in the first team so far.

The unusual thing about McTominay is that until quite recently he was smaller (and quite significantly so). If he is going to improve as a player he needs to add more to his game. To me that is goals from midfield. He shows good composure in attacking areas and was unlucky not to score at Yeovil.

I don't think he really uses his physique very well just now. It's not surprising because for most of his career it wasn't any great strength. If he can play the "Fellaini role" in the squad, he'll be a very useful squad member.
Can't argue with that aside from we know our expectations of the youth players need to be higher than the Felliani role or 'useful'? I want to see the next Pogba or Carrick than the next Felliani....

JoaquinJoaquin

Type of players like McTominay will always get a lot of stick on RedCafe. It was the same with Fletcher and Evans. Lingard too got way to much critisism.

In Lingards case, you would think that people would be a bit careful considering that three different managers, Ferguson, van Gaal and Mourinho, has expressed and shown a lot of faith in the player. Considering how much more these men have seen from Lingard, and how much more experience they have in evaluating players, it borders to outright stupidity to slash him of in the manner some did.

On another note, the need some people feel to slash a player of based on limited minutes (90, 180 or even 500 is quite limited) strikes me as clueless.

I consequently believe that it is inevtiable that the same people will go for McTominay, claiming he is Championship-level or similar. I think he did okay yesterday. In general he was more or less at the same level as Herrera and Carrick. He made a few mistakes, but at this surface you would expect that. At 21 and with no game rythm we should accept it.

He seems like an intelligent player with good movement of the ball (both when we are in possession and when we are not). He recently finished his growth spurt, and looks underdevloped physically. Mourinho likes him and believe in him. The other players like him and believe in him. Why not give him the benefit of a bit of time?
I'm happy to say Lingard proved me wrong, but for every Lingard there is a Daron Gibson, Richardson and Blackett who just aren't good enough. Mctominay doesn't look like a bad player by any stretch, I think he looks OK. But sometimes in life there are levels, and I don't think Mctominay's level is United in what he has shown us so far.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I thought he was better than Herrera today, he'll become a very good squad player for us.

Litch

At 21 Fletcher had shown a lot more in his game than McTominay, he had a good passing range and crossing ability and box-to-box energy. He scored that winner against Chelsea at 21 and had been trusted to start matches like the FA Cup semifinal against Arsenal at 20.
Agree plus look at the team he was attempting to break into at that age!! Scott is fortunate that he's one of the best of a very, very poor generation of Utd youth players. The U23 team is the worst I've watched since watch Utd youth team football whilst Gomes is one of a crop of exciting U18 we've seen for a long time.

Litch

I thought he was better than Herrera today, he'll become a very good squad player for us.
I know what you mean but there's the problem, we should be thinking can he be a first team starter than a squad player

POF

Can't argue with that aside from we know our expectations of the youth players need to be higher than the Felliani role or 'useful'? I want to see the next Pogba or Carrick than the next Felliani....
Do they? Obviously, it would be great if they became top class key players in the side, but there's nothing wrong with players coming through the youth system to be useful squad players. Fergie had many in that category over the years.

I think "useful squad player" is McTominay's level. Jose loves that player he can bring on for his physicality at both ends of the pitch. If McTominay can fill that role, fantastic.

Litch

Do they? Obviously, it would be great if they became top class key players in the side, but there's nothing wrong with players coming through the youth system to be useful squad players. Fergie had many in that category over the years.

I think "useful squad player" is McTominay's level. Jose loves that player he can bring on for his physicality at both ends of the pitch. If McTominay can fill that role, fantastic.
Not one player at Utd was bought or bought through as squad players. If you did, you'd never sign players or attract good young un's. Also one injury and your squad player becomes first team player and therefore as to be of that quality. In the past we had players that weren't starting but would have been elsewhere. Not being too negative about the lad but if he was starting for Swansea, there's not one person on here would be saying sign him up as he's one for the future.
That said, Jose likes him so must be something there......

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Some of the logic in here is baffling. Some of you have decided already that the limit of his potential is a possible squad option, some of you not even that, based on 3 or 4 appearances. Modern legends like Paddy Evra and Vidic got a full half season of error strewn performances and they were seasoned professionals when they came to us. He's done well when he's got the chance this season. Let's see how things develop.

POF

Not one player at Utd was bought or bought through as squad players. If you did, you'd never sign players or attract good young un's. Also one injury and your squad player becomes first team player and therefore as to be of that quality. In the past we had players that weren't starting but would have been elsewhere. Not being too negative about the lad but if he was starting for Swansea, there's not one person on here would be saying sign him up as he's one for the future.
That said, Jose likes him so must be something there......
By "squad player", I don't mean a rubbish player who is only ever on the bench. I mean a player who plays a distinct role in the squad.

The same as Fellaini does now. Jose sees him as a key squad member who is first choice in certain circumstances. Lingard too plays certain types of games - those that best utilise his movement and running power.

If every youth player had to be Pogba to break into the squad then none of them would get an opportunity (except Pogba obviously!).

I'm far from convinced he will make it at United. As I said, I believe he needs to add another string or two to his bow. But he seems to have a great attitude and the physical attributes so I'm glad Jose is giving him the opportunity.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I'm happy to say Lingard proved me wrong, but for every Lingard there is a Daron Gibson, Richardson and Blackett who just aren't good enough. Mctominay doesn't look like a bad player by any stretch, I think he looks OK. But sometimes in life there are levels, and I don't think Mctominay's level is United in what he has shown us so far.
Still, some of the criticism these players receive seems way over the top. The lack of patience and eagerness to conclude on their abilities or chances in Man Utd in the long term seems very odd. Almost stupid, actually.

I am more than willing to give time and support to players like Gibson, Richardson and Blackett if it once in a while give us a home grown player. Furhermore, I’m willing to support the manager who gives young players a chance. Claims that McTominay plays because of his

And whats the point in writing young players off early anyway? Being able to say that one was right all along when he eventually fails/leaves?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Gibson was good enough, he's just lazy. Richardson was a gimp and Blackett not very good (no concentration). I never saw anything from Lingard to suggest he had no ability or a bad attitude, which is why I wasn't particularly surprised to see it click for him (although the rate he took off at was brilliant!).

In terms of McTominay, he clearly has a good attitude and good physical characteristics, although I'm still not 100% convinced he's an amazing footballer. I do find it a bit odd that people want to write him off though, the guy's done quite well whenever he's played, can only ask that young players grasp the opportunities they're given and step up with the level of football. Smacks a bit of the people who had it in for Evans, albeit Evans was a much bigger talent IMO.

Dante

Average bang
He's a better passer than Herrera, Fellaini and Periera. For that reason alone, he'll never be 'average'.

Ally that with his size, and offset it by his age. He's got oodles of potential.

dogwithabone

Playing a bit too simply at the moment. Needs to really boss a game - and perhaps grab a goal -to give fans the feeling that he could be something special as well as drumming up a bit of interest in the media.

JK-27

Seems to be in the Matic mould, but each time I've seen him play most of his passes are backwards or sideways. Needs to be more positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.