5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Vandelay

Did well tonight, didn't let himself down and looks like he has earned more chances. Think he did all that would have been asked of him. Good solid performance.

el3mel

Can see now what Jose sees in him. He's a young Fellaini, or we can say Jose's United version of Mikel, not a flashy player but excellent physical presence in midfield. Will have his uses when we closes on the game for sure.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Good in the second half.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ultimately impressive, good option to have in the squad

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Didn't look out of place, tidy player. Needs to be a bit more aggressive at times and needs to trust his passing a bit more.

SambaBoy

Seemed more confident in the second half. There were times where he should drive with the ball more rather than turn back. Should be good for his progression.

Too early to tell either way whether he will make it here. He obviously doesn't have any star quality but if he can develop then he could become a very tidy player.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He got better as the game went on. I like how he affected the game further up the pitch second half, as we saw he can do in pre-season.

As discussed with @SirAnderson in the Matchday I hope to see him in a PL midfield over Christmas, against lower opposition at OT he wouldn't look out of place in my opinion.

p2pZeus

very composed for his age. I was impressed. He certainly grew into the game. Think we can say this boy will replace Carrick in long-term and having an extra man i midfield will come in handy as we gonna fight for multiple trophies!

engulfing

He's a good player, clearly knows how to play midfield. Today he showed he has some passing range too. First half he could have showed more adventure but second half he showed his ability. I think he'll make it.

Reactions: KM

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Proud of him. Did really well. Just got on with it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
McTominay grew a lot as the game went on and should be proud of his performance. His life was made much easier once Jose brought on Herrera to help him and Matic out, so he was no longer 2 v 3 in midfield, and after that he really showed some bright sparks. Won a lot of aerial balls and made some positive forward contributions too.

DeOddi

Actually has a bit of ability on the ball, but it really makes no difference if he turns around almost all the time when he makes a run forward after a few metres to pass the ball backwards anyway. That said.... he was a bit more adventurous when we played with 3 in midfield.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He's very tidy, reminds me of Carrick just watching him move about and kick it but obviously they've got different play styles.

Glad for him to get in a decent performance overall, nothing special but valuable for him.

Loublaze

ATLien
Looked decent in the second half but I don't see a future for him here.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He reminds me so much of Darren Fletcher. Really impressive performance. Can't believe some of the comments after the Swansea game. He's filled the boots of Pogba in a way we couldn't have expected. Well played, young man.

engulfing

Can see now what Jose sees in him. He's a young Fellaini, or we can say Jose's United version of Mikel, not a flashy player but excellent physical presence in midfield. Will have his uses when we closes on the game for sure.
He isn't mikel, he's too mobile to be mikel. Mourinho is trying to teach him to play like Fellaini but they are different. For one mctominay has decent pace. He needs to develop a better presence in the box. But at this stage of his development he's doing very well.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Listening to his interview. I can't stop smiling. So nice when one of the academy lads get their chance and does well.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Actually has a bit of ability on the ball, but it really makes no difference if he turns around almost all the time when he makes a run forward after a few metres to pass the ball backwards anyway. That said.... he was a bit more adventurous when we played with 3 in midfield.
Aye, but that's normal at this point. His risk-averse style has served him well so far. He gets a little braver with every game.

R'hllor

Very good tonight, who would tho, he couldnt maybe produce similar performance week in week out but using him like any other young player while his confidence/ hype is up, no harm in that, just need someone to trust him for those few games. Same goes to any player below first team.

el3mel

He isn't mikel, he's too mobile to be mikel. Mourinho is trying to teach him to play like Fellaini but they are different. For one mctominay has decent pace. He needs to develop a better presence in the box. But at this stage of his development he's doing very well.
I meant by the comparison that like Mikel he's not used as a flashy player but as a physical presence.

These kind of players are hardly recognized by fans due to them not doing flicks and tricks but they're important for the functional system.

kundalini

Good performance overall. A couple of times in the first half he moved forward to press when holding his position was probably the wiser move. There was a nice pass forward midway through the 2nd half, even his attempted link up with Mata in the box was decent.

facchiano

He was reserved and playing it simple in the first half. He had many instances in the first half where he could’ve played through balls and for me personally it was annoying to watch. In the second half he was much better going forward. His defensive play was top notch in both first and second half. He was soaking up the second ball all over the pitch and was a nuisance to the Benfica players. He his a good player and different to what we have in the squad at the moment. He only needs to improve his ”ball intelligence” and with this I mean instead of recycling the ball between himself and the defenders, he should look into spraying the balls through the opposing defenders. He is technical and if Mourinho decides to have Lukaku, Martial and Rashford on the pitch, he should start in a three man midfield.

Reactions: KM

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Thought he was more impressive than Pereira in pre season and I'm wondering if he's the one that actually has a future here rather than Pereira. For somebody so new to the team he's just come and fitted in like an experienced pro and not looked out of place at all. Reminds me a bit of Darren Fletcher.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Whether making it at United or not, does this lad have a top flight career ahead of him?
Hard to say due to not having shown a lot of quality, but it's early, he can still develop.
Mentally he seems capable of having a PL career in front of him (based only on first team appearances I've seen).

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Impressive composure for his first champions league game. Did the simple stuff really well.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If we were chasing a game, I do not think he would be useful. It is games like tonight where he comes in handy. Won some good balls back. But if you need a spark of creativity, he will not provide it. Still think he could have a career as a squad player though.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
First time I've watched him and thought he has a real chance of making it. Excellent tonight. Looked after the ball really well, aggressive in the tackle and when he did start to look forward as his confidence grew, picked out a couple of lovely passes. Fair play to him.

SirAnderson

He got better as the game went on. I like how he affected the game further up the pitch second half, as we saw he can do in pre-season.

As discussed with @SirAnderson in the Matchday I hope to see him in a PL midfield over Christmas, against lower opposition at OT he wouldn't look out of place in my opinion.
Yup. He definitely did nothing to harm his chances. Few more runs in the cup games and maybe again in the in Basel and he will be ready for some PL games in the busy period.

Hopefully he is absorbing everything from our other midfielders, the comparisons to Carrick is not far off imo, that's the kind of player I see him as. Not a super star mid like Pogba, but can become a consistent ever present midfielder who works outside the limelight but can become important for us in years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.