5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Peril

I don't know what people see in him. I think he's a nothing player.
Yeah my sentiment as well, could play for any Premier League-club against League 2-clubs and do well. Put him in Aston Villa or Derby and he probably looks very average - just doesn’t do anything for me to see a potential Man United-player. I’m not a talent scout though... but he’s 21 - and for reference Julian Weigl is only a year or so older.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Surprised people are writing him off so early.

Can anyone tell me what Fletcher was better at than McTominay at the same age?

Andersons Dietician

Not really sure on him, I think he’s been poor in pretty much everything he has done tonight. Seems over eager and then just ends up stopping our play by not showing for a pass and even worse his passing has been pretty woeful. I’m just not convinced he has that thing, might be a very good jobber for us. Hopefully Jose brings on Gomes

saivet

Not sure he'd shine in the Championship. Reminds me of when LVG was giving the likes of Varela, Blackett, CBJ and McNair minutes.

In midfield though, he won't cause us any issues playing in games like today.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I don't know what game ye boys have been watching. I think he's been very tidy. Good positioning, good decision making, I like him.

binary bot
He's had a good game. Impossible to try and judge where he's at in a game like this because of how simple he keeps it. We'll find out very quickly in the PL.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hacks a cross field pass to a Yeovil player and then swiftly hacks the player down for a booking. Sums up McTominay really.

JoaquinJoaquin

Don't want to sound knee jerk, but not seen much about this guy to convince me he has a future at this club. He is 'ok'. But we need better than that.

Litch

I am being genuine....I know a significant number of lads his age that can control the ball and pass it sideways like he does...

L1nk

Not at the required standard for the club, there are vastly better midfielders of similar age playing right now.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I have no idea if he is good enough, probably not actually, but the likes of Schneiderlin, etc. - new signings were getting lot of praise for worse performances than this. It just shows how unfair our fans are to our academy players and have far more belief in expensive signings. Just like when they write Rashford off after one poor game as a striker, but are defending Lukaku when he is in shit form for weeks.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah I don't like to say this but he just doesn't quite look to have the touch of a top level player. He is good, he has good attributes and I think he will have a decent career but I am not sure much of it will be for us.

el3mel

He became better as the game went on but overall average performance. He can be molded to a number 6 as I said previously but he still needs to develop many things, positioning and tacking timing.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He became better as the game went on but overall average performance. He can be molded to a number 6 as I said previously but he still needs to develop many things, positioning and tacking timing.
His positioning and awareness have generally looked awful though. Two of the most important attributes of a number 6.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He doesn't looks like a defensive player to me. His positional sense would need a lot of work.

el3mel

His positioning and awareness have generally looked awful though. Two of the most important attributes of a number 6.
That's why I said he should improve. He's not creative enough to be a number 8 so his only way is to learn how to be a number 6 as he has good physicality. Now it's time for him to improve things needed for such a position.

NinjaFletch

I thought he looked decent enough, but I'm not convinced I've seen a huge amount to be excited about with him.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Quiet one tonight, expected a bit more. I still believe he is going to be a top player.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Thought he did OK. Could be a slow burner like Lingard.
The difference is even from a young age Lingard was demonstrating some real potential. His movement has always been top class and now he's adding end product to the promising positions he was already getting into. McTominay doesn't have that, there isn't anything particularly special about him. He isn't a ball winner, or a quality passer, or a threat going forward.

limerickcitykid

That's why I said he should improve. He's not creative enough to be a number 8 so his only way is to learn how to be a number 6 as he has good physicality. Now it's time for him to improve things needed for such a position.
How does it make any sense to expect that though? Why would someone who has shown awful position and awareness somehow improve so much at it to become a number 6 at a top club over countless players his age who already possess those attributes and can improve them even further. It makes no sense to just expect him to develop characteristics he has shown no ability of.

Ashley R1+O

I thought it was interesting that he was looking to break positions and initiate attacks as well as find defensive positions to press and tackle. I think there is a raw intelligent player in there, I hope he gets more time and develops.

el3mel

How does it make any sense to expect that though? Why would someone who has shown awful position and awareness somehow improve so much at it to become a number 6 at a top club over countless players his age who already possess those attributes and can improve them even further. It makes no sense to just expect him to develop characteristics he has shown no ability of.
He's still only 21. Plenty of time to develop himself I don't find any problem with that.

Devil may care

He was ok, nice attempt on goal but overall he just looks very run of the mill, his size has aided his opportunities.

Classical Mechanic

The difference is even from a young age Lingard was demonstrating some real potential. His movement has always been top class and now he's adding end product to the promising positions he was already getting into. McTominay doesn't have that, there isn't anything particularly special about him. He isn't a ball winner, or a quality passer, or a threat going forward.
True, Lingard used to score some really nice goals all through his career.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't know what game ye boys have been watching. I think he's been very tidy. Good positioning, good decision making, I like him.
Thank you. He looked assured, quick to look forward, always wants the ball. The only fault tonight may have been positional sense in defending set pieces.

limerickcitykid

He's still only 21. Plenty of time to develop himself I don't find any problem with that.
There are literally thousands of players who are 21. The problem is he has shown no aptitude at all to somehow magically develop his positioning and awareness to a high standard which you somehow believe based purely off the fact he is 21.

When the whole hope is for him to develop skill sets which he has shown to be very weak at then chances are he just isn't any good.

99fan

Personally, i liked his performance tonight; he was more of a box to box midfielder. Always available as a passing outlet.
Few mistakes and kept things tidy. Next year a loan is a must.

Morpheus 7

It's good for him to get minutes but I think a loan next year might be best. It's a high standard we demand and he's not there yet. Hard to be critical of him, nothing seen yet to challenge any other midfielders position.

redom

Wonder if we'll consider loaning him out next season to get some regular minutes, I think it would help him but I'm not sure we're looking at him as a long term project rather than a stop gap so we might just keep him around so we can use him if need be.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Surprised people are writing him off so early.

Can anyone tell me what Fletcher was better at than McTominay at the same age?
Well, Fletcher was a star in the youth teams, right? (Genuinely asking because I can't remember but I believe he was). Having watched McTominay for a couple of years he's never impressed me nevermind been one of the best players in our U23s.

ash_86

Strong, calm on the ball and can make a pass. He'll survive here

Status
Not open for further replies.