5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippycup

Daniel Whitehead plays in midfield for AFC Flyde in the National League North. He is also a professional footballer, and I'm sure he would be more than happy to step in if need be. Would make a good fringe player for Manchester United, right?
Yes. Yes he would.

Olecurls99

Is he better than other top clubs backup 6?

It's probably not a good sign that I can hardly think of any.

Last edited:

CallyRed

Can his supporters advise on what his strengths are. Like a Michael Owen brochure, graphs and heat maps are welcome.
He does make a good squad player. As long as that squad player comes on in stoppage time when we are leading 3-0. In which case, go Scotty

Zippycup

Can his supporters advise on what his strengths are. Like a Michael Owen brochure, graphs and heat maps are welcome.
He does make a good squad player. As long as that squad player comes on in stoppage time when we are leading 3-0. In which case, go Scotty
Do you mean supporters of the club? Supporters who will back the players when playing and not just jump on the bandwagon of player abuse because it's the new "in thing"

Or do you mean something else?

youmeletsfly

Do you mean supporters of the club? Supporters who will back the players when playing and not just jump on the bandwagon of player abuse because it's the new "in thing"

He is a league two player playing for United. Let's call spade a spade and not try to be the smartass "let's support everyone" type of fan.

When someone is not good enough, just call it like it is otherwise let's recall Bebe and support him just because he plays for us.

RedDevilQuebecois

Is it wrong to describe a player for just what he is when he is just not good enough? McTominay is not the first one and will not be the last to be described as a bad player when he is just bad.

Personally, I say he is Ross County material.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

Strange take. No one wants to see him serving up poor performances, but after 4/5 seasons with the first team and becoming a key fixture in our worst performances, I think it's perfectly acceptable for fans of the club to voice their opinion in respect of a player...providing it isn't personal or literally abusive in public.

Stating he is an insufficient footballer and shouldn't start games for Man United is a reasonable position for someone to take. Anything more personal is of course unnecessary.

hobbers

On the subject of bandwagons, let's not jump on the one where you try to label any sort of criticism or negative opinion as abuse, whether it's in vogue or not.

Zippycup

He is a league two player playing for United. Let's call spade a spade and not try to be the smartass "let's support everyone" type of fan.

When someone is not good enough, just call it like it is otherwise let's recall Bebe and support him just because he plays for us.
The fact you call him league two player and even back up your claim by saying "let's call a spade a spade" says more about you than you realise.

Last edited:

Zippycup

Strange take. No one wants to see him serving up poor performances, but after 4/5 seasons with the first team and becoming a key fixture in our worst performances, I think it's perfectly acceptable for fans of the club to voice their opinion in respect of a player...providing it isn't personal or literally abusive in public.

Stating he is an insufficient footballer and shouldn't start games for Man United is a reasonable position for someone to take. Anything more personal is of course unnecessary.
We need squad players.
He was thrown into the deep end against Arsenal and despite that he wasn't even the worst player on the pitch that night yet he is getting the majority of the blame.

It's typical of our fanbase. We always have to point the finger and one or two players because it's the easy thing to do. We've been doing it for as long as I can remember

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
People still defending this pillock? :annoyed:
Some of you are so PC that you'd rather see the club you support fail than to say it as it is - he's plain shit and has been for a very long time.

Zippycup

On the subject of bandwagons, let's not jump on the one where you try to label any sort of criticis or negative opinion as abuse, whether it's in vogue or not.
No fan should ever be against constructive criticism of any player.
As fans we have a terrible habit of going beyond that

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
No fan should ever be against constructive criticism of any player.
As fans we have a terrible habit of going beyond that
You've still not answered the question @Rozay asked you though. You say no fan should ever be against constructive criticism of any player but you're very clearly against any criticism of McTominay, constructive or otherwise.

NotoriousISSY

We need squad players.
He was thrown into the deep end against Arsenal and despite that he wasn't even the worst player on the pitch that night yet he is getting the majority of the blame.

It's typical of our fanbase. We always have to point the finger and one or two players because it's the easy thing to do. We've been doing it for as long as I can remember
I agree he was out of position if that's your underlying point, but thrown in at the deep end is a tough one to argue if he is a squad player - that is exactly what squad players are there for.

But, all things considered he's neither starter level or squad player level if we want to be up at the top end of the league.

It's not just the Arsenal game though, in all comps for club and country this season he averages about 25 or so passes a game. He's not cut out for the top level - and it's neither insulting or even abusive to say so given that so few people truly make it and cut it at the top level.

GifLord

Tagline fits
You can support whichever player you want but then don't complain why this club is going nowhere. Look at what happened at City. When Pep came they changed keepers 2 times 1 year to find the right one yet we wasted 5 years to buy 1 decent cm - 5 fecking years of Matic on last legs, Mctominay, eternaly injured Pogba and Fred. When Fergie left so did the ruthlessness of this club. Everybody's given 5-10-15 chances to prove themselves. Everybody gets a participation award - contract renewals for no apparent reason.

Zippycup

You've still not answered the question @Rozay asked you though. You say no fan should ever be against constructive criticism of any player but you're very clearly against any criticism of McTominay, constructive or otherwise.
I'm not against any constructive criticism. If I was I would be a massive hypocrite. I'm against idiotic opinions like the ones stated below.
Things we've learned about McTominay

He's actually 28 years old.
He's league two level at best.
We'd be better off playing nobody over him.
Its better to sell him even if it weakens us for the rest of the season.
We don't want a transfer fee, Newcastle can have him for free (Newcastle who are above us in the league)
He's gutless.
Worst CM in the league
He shouldn't play ahead of "big game player" Fred
He's a coward
One of the worst midfielders ever seen.
He's not as good as Casemiro (the best defensive mid in the world)
He's a fraud.
It's insulting to Casemiro that McTominay is back up to him.
Has there been a worse player to play 200 times for the club?
Championship player (upgrade from League two I suppose)
He's a poor mans Darren Gibson (Yes. That Darren Gibson)
He loves the club, its the only reason he's here.
McTominay makes one poster miss Fellaini
We should replace him with Fernandez or FDJ
It's Mourinhios fault
Has a career because Mourinhio wanted to troll Pogba
He's actually 28 next season so we need to sell now.
We should bring in Declan rice to replace him.
He should be performing to a 7 or 8 out of 10 every time hes needed

While some posts in this thread have been decent and give constructive criticism on the player so many posts have been like the ones listed above.
Is it any wonder some posters on here are defending him. He is nowhere near as bad as so many on here make out.
I've said it before. He hasn't played many games over the last few months and he was dropped into a midfield two with Eriksen (who didn't play well at all) against the league leaders away from home.

Zippycup

I agree he was out of position if that's your underlying point, but thrown in at the deep end is a tough one to argue if he is a squad player - that is exactly what squad players are there for.

But, all things considered he's neither starter level or squad player level if we want to be up at the top end of the league.

It's not just the Arsenal game though, in all comps for club and country this season he averages about 25 or so passes a game. He's not cut out for the top level - and it's neither insulting or even abusive to say so given that so few people truly make it and cut it at the top level.
He hasn't played on months and was dropped into a two man midfield with Eriksen (who was fecked after 50 minutes) against the best team in the league, away from home with two days notice.
I'd say that's the definition of being dropped in it.
The problem with fringe players is we expect far to much of them. We expect them to be at the same level of city's fringe players. We are nowhere near that. Just look at our bench for the last few games.

McTominay will liklely leave for Newcastle in the summer, but at the moment we need him as cover. We don't have anybody else. That, and he's actually not that bad a player.

Zippycup

You can support whichever player you want but then don't complain why this club is going nowhere. Look at what happened at City. When Pep came they changed keepers 2 times 1 year to find the right one yet we wasted 5 years to buy 1 decent cm - 5 fecking years of Matic on last legs, Mctominay, eternaly injured Pogba and Fred. When Fergie left so did the ruthlessness of this club. Everybody's given 5-10-15 chances to prove themselves. Everybody gets a participation award - contract renewals for no apparent reason.
I support the club. The players are a part of that. Especially those that give their all. Every time they're asked to play.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s interesting that you think when Fergie was in charge we wouldn’t have taken as long to beef up central midfield. You’re probably too young to remember but from the moment Keane retired, right the way through to Fergie himself retiring, 90% of the fanbase were absolutely desperate for him to sign another defensive midfielder.

NotoriousISSY

He hasn't played on months and was dropped into a two man midfield with Eriksen (who was fecked after 50 minutes) against the best team in the league, away from home with two days notice.
I'd say that's the definition of being dropped in it.
The problem with fringe players is we expect far to much of them. We expect them to be at the same level of city's fringe players. We are nowhere near that. Just look at our bench for the last few games.

McTominay will liklely leave for Newcastle in the summer, but at the moment we need him as cover. We don't have anybody else. That, and he's actually not that bad a player.
He's not that good a player either, or as you say he would've been more involved and played more since December.

Not being as good as Casemiro/Bruno/Eriksen is fine - they're all good players. But not being considered a viable option in all the games we've played against bottom half teams or in the cups suggests EtH will only pick him when we're absolutely legless or our best players are unable to play.

He's one of the first names in the squad that needs replacing if we wish to evolve.

Zippycup

It’s interesting that you think when Fergie was in charge we wouldn’t have taken as long to beef up central midfield. You’re probably too young to remember but from the moment Keane retired, right the way through to Fergie himself retiring, 90% of the fanbase were absolutely desperate for him to sign another defensive midfielder.
I said in a previous post about the levels of abuse players Fletcher and Butt used to get, and to a lesser extent Carrick.

Squad players are rarely thanked or well thought, even when we are winning Champions leagues and league championships.

Zippycup

He's not that good a player either, or as you say he would've been more involved and played more since December.

Not being as good as Casemiro/Bruno/Eriksen is fine - they're all good players. But not being considered a viable option in all the games we've played against bottom half teams or in the cups suggests EtH will only pick him when we're absolutely legless or our best players are unable to play.

He's one of the first names in the squad that needs replacing if we wish to evolve.
Ckme on man. He has Casemiro playing ahead of him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I said in a previous post about the levels of abuse players Fletcher and Butt used to get, and to a lesser extent Carrick.

Squad players are rarely thanked or well thought, even when we are winning Champions leagues and league championships.
Squad players always get shit. O’Shea would also be a good example.

Unfortunately, I think all three of those players would do a better job than McT. Some of them by quite a bit. McT’s habit of just not getting on the ball enough is such a detriment to the team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Exactly, such nonsense hyperbole like ‘he hadn’t played in months’. He features in almost every game whether from the start or the bench. I doubt he features much less than someone like Garnacho who still gives an account of himself everytime.

Wan-Bissaka is an example of a player brought in from the cold, and he’s acquitted himself far better. Some fans just seem to have no standards at all.

Zippycup

Squad players always get shit. O’She would be a more obvious example, as Fletcher and Butt both part of our best XI.

Unfortunately, I think all three of those players would do a better job than McT. Some of them by quite a bit.
Possibly.
However. All played in a much better team.

Fringe players who left under Fergies tenure despite being useful squad members at the time rarely succeed away from Old Trafford.

mu4c_20le

Squad players always get shit. O’Shea would also be a good example.

Unfortunately, I think all three of those players would do a better job than McT. Some of them by quite a bit. McT’s habit of just not getting on the ball enough is such a detriment to the team.
Yes but it's also relative. Butt would walk into our midfield post SAF. He's miles ahead of Fred.

GifLord

We sold Veron who was a class player. You really think he'd be willing to give him as many chances as he received now? He'd be gone by 2019 if Fergie was still in charge. Look at what happened to Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson, Gibson...

NotoriousISSY

Ckme on man. He has Casemiro playing ahead of him.
Like you won't stand down on any of your arguments, I won't stand down on the view that EtH wouldn't have considered more rest for Casemiro, Bruno or Eriksen after the WC, if he had a better option than McTominay as an alternative.

Especially given the fact we're talking about games Vs:
Forest, Wolves, Bournemouth, Palace and Everton in the cup. Obviously I'll exclude the city game here!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
We sold Veron who was a class player. You really think he'd be willing to give him as many chances as he received now? He'd be gone by 2019 if Fergie was still in charge.
I’m not sure I understand your point. We’re not discussing showing too much patience to a very expensive import. That discussion belongs in the Pogba thread.

A better analogy is playing John O’Shea in central midfield which made almost everyone lose their fecking mind. Fergie didn’t care though. He knew he could do a job. So even though fans thought we desperately needed a new DM Fergie didn’t sign one. Which is why I think you’re wrong that taking 5 years to sign a world class DM wouldn’t have happened under Fergie.

GifLord

I’m not sure I understand your point. We’re not discussing showing too much patience to a very expensive import. That discussion belongs in the Pogba thread.

A better analogy is playing John O’Shea in central midfield which made almost everyone lose their fecking mind. Fergie didn’t care though. He knew he could do a job. So even though fans thought we desperately needed a new DM Fergie didn’t sign one. Which is why I think you’re wrong that taking 5 years to sign a world class DM wouldn’t have happened under Fergie.
Oshea was a versatile player. He could play CB, RB, LB, DM, CM...
What is McTominay? An average player who won the Mourinho youth promotion lottery.

NotoriousISSY

Yup. A lot of that was down to how well they performed when needed. Which meant Fergie could rotate without much of a drop in standards.
This is exactly it.

As an example Darren Fletcher proved himself as being more than just a viable bench option by being thrown into the deep end and performing so well, to the point he earned his right as a legit starter. This fanbase truly believes the final Vs Barca in 2009 is less one-sided if he was available too.

It's the difference between a player who is cut out for the top level and willing to bide his time, rather than one who game-by-game is showing that he's probably not cut out for this level.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The only reason we should get rid of him now is if we are able to bring in a replacement of higher quality. That won't happen, so it would be suicidal to let him go considering we're fighting on 4 fronts with a thin thin squad.

I'd have no issue with him going in the summer however.

NotoriousISSY

The only reason we should get rid of him now is if we are able to bring in a replacement of higher quality. That won't happen, so it would be suicidal to let him go considering we're fighting on 4 fronts with a thin thin squad.

I'd have no issue with him going in the summer however.
I don't think there are many lobbying for him to leave without a replacement!

But upgraded, absolutely. It could prove to be suicidal not to go down that route whenever an opportunity arises.

Zippycup

Like you won't stand down on any of your arguments, I won't stand down on the view that EtH wouldn't have considered more rest for Casemiro, Bruno or Eriksen after the WC, if he had a better option than McTominay as an alternative.

Especially given the fact we're talking about games Vs:
Forest, Wolves, Bournemouth, Palace and Everton in the cup. Obviously I'll exclude the city game here!
You are replacing the world's best with a fringe player in must win games.
As an example. McTominay has played more minutes than Fred and VDB combined.

Zippycup

I don't think there are many lobbying for him to leave without a replacement!

But upgraded, absolutely. It could prove to be suicidal not to go down that route whenever an opportunity arises.
Where would you spend the money in the summer?
For me it's the on two forwards we desperately need along with another CB and possibly a right back.

Centre mid position is then up for consideration.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This is exactly it.

As an example Darren Fletcher proved himself as being more than just a viable bench option by being thrown into the deep end and performing so well, to the point he earned his right as a legit starter. This fanbase truly believes the final Vs Barca in 2009 is less one-sided if he was available too.

It's the difference between a player who is cut out for the top level and willing to bide his time, rather than one who game-by-game is showing that he's probably not cut out for this level.
Also worth bearing in mind that when we desperately missed Fletcher in that 2009 final he was a year younger than McTominay is now. What made the shit Fletcher got so unfair was because people refused to take his age into account. Sadly, McT lost that excuse a while ago.

NotoriousISSY

You are replacing the world's best with a fringe player in must win games.
As an example. McTominay has played more minutes than Fred and VDB combined.
Every game is a must win game. It's a baseless argument. Casemiro plays the most because there is no viable alternative.

It's a big problem and if not addressed, Casemiro will get burnt out.

As for your post in regards to priorities - sadly EtH inherited a poor squad in need of mass repair. Rangnick said it needed at least 10 new faces, and despite his toxic tenure it's an opinion most people agree with.

Not every player we sign has to be top brass, proven or command world record transfer fees. The team Arsenal just beat us with only had two players they paid over £35m for and that was their right back and DM. It's not for me to say who we should sign, but I can certainly have an opinion that our current options in the squad are not close to the standard needed or wanted by the manager.

Zippycup

Every game is a must win game. It's a baseless argument. Casemiro plays the most because there is no viable alternative.

It's a big problem and if not addressed, Casemiro will get burnt out.

As for your post in regards to priorities - sadly EtH inherited a poor squad in need of mass repair. Rangnick said it needed at least 10 new faces, and despite his toxic tenure it's an opinion most people agree with.

Not every player we sign has to be top brass, proven or command world record transfer fees. The team Arsenal just beat us with only had two players they paid over £35m for and that was their right back and DM. It's not for me to say who we should sign, but I can certainly have an opinion that our current options in the squad are not close to the standard needed or wanted by the manager.
Do you only think our priority position is midfield?
We had far more pressing issues against Arsenal than midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.