Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Shaky as anything. The difference between him and De Gea is like night and day.

SambaBoy

Anyone else think he could have done better with the goal? Seemed to go right through him, comfortable height going across him.

Devil may care

Had a couple of wobbles today, he's proven to be fine as our #2 but this idea I've seen some floating around that he could replace Dave if he goes to Madrid is way wide of the mark.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Had a couple of wobbles today, he's proven to be fine as our #2 but this idea I've seen some floating around that he could replace Dave if he goes to Madrid is way wide of the mark.
Indeed, he's never a #1 for a top club, just like PIG wasn't, if he's happy to be a back up then there's no reason to ditch him though.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Indeed, he's never a #1 for a top club, just like PIG wasn't, if he's happy to be a back up then there's no reason to ditch him though.
He's better then PIG ever was. I dare to say he's better then Carroll, Howard and the Foster guy were

Ixion

He's better then PIG ever was. I dare to say he's better then Carroll, Howard and the Foster guy were
Nah not as good as Howard, he has been a very solid keeper. Romero's kicking and positioning is atrocious.

Moonred

I liked his distribution that triggered a couple of counters. Shouldn't have fumbled that though but then he was becoming too steady this season and needed to remind everyone. Still he is pretty good even though DDG has set the standards ridiculously high.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Nah not as good as Howard, he has been a very solid keeper. Romero's kicking and positioning is atrocious.
I think he's better in crosses than Howard was. I am very happy that United have him as no 2. He's one of LVG's rare good signings

MullerUtd

Is it just me who fancies him being our goalie in a penalty shoot-out over David De Gea? I think he is the man for that kind of occasion.

m1y2

good throws good in the air, occasional mistake but also good shot stopping just about good enough to be our no2, no goalkeeper will be consistent when playing a game in a months

Ramicoo

Replace until find a better. If he start asking for #1 or be sold, we should be sure that DDG will stay until we find a good #2 or just find someone who can replace DDG.. Point is that I don't like our team to go for another run of having a shite goalies for seasons till we rest on someone good! this strategy cost us much in the past..

RedPed

Whatabouter.
How can you assess/judge a goalie who only plays a few times a season? This was the first goal he's conceded in ages. If De Gea WAS to go back to Spain, I would not be too concerned about installing Romero as our #1. I think with a good run of games he would quickly get up to speed and do a good job for us. I certainly don't rate Lloris more highly than him for example. And Cech has been #1 at Arsenal up until recently.

Minkaro

Is it just me who fancies him being our goalie in a penalty shoot-out over David De Gea? I think he is the man for that kind of occasion.
If LVG was still in charge, we might see that as a substitution.

Devil may care

Replace until find a better. If he start asking for #1 or be sold, we should be sure that DDG will stay until we find a good #2 or just find someone who can replace DDG.. Point is that I don't like our team to go for another run of having a shite goalies for seasons till we rest on someone good! this strategy cost us much in the past..
If we know De Gea is going, and we should know this well in advance, then we should be ready to buy his replacement immediately, Romero is nowhere near good enough to be the #1 at United.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If we know De Gea is going, and we should know this well in advance, then we should be ready to buy his replacement immediately, Romero is nowhere near good enough to be the #1 at United.
Romero concedes very few goals. It would be interesting to see the stats - how does he compare with DDG?

Eire Red United

Romero concedes very few goals. It would be interesting to see the stats - how does he compare with DDG?
To be fair Romero plays far fewer games and against fair less quality of opposition so I'd expect his stats to look better than Davids.

Devil may care

Romero barely plays and when he does it's against the worst opposition, he's always been error prone, ask any of the Argentinian fans here.

Such a top GK. Could easily be number 1 in a top team. Glad we've got him.
No he couldn't, if he could he'd be playing for one instead of playing 10 games a season for us.

kundalini

Sample size is too small to make a reasonable judgement. Yes he has made errors, especially Swansea away last season and I wasn't too impressed by their offside goal today but he has also made some decent saves. His club career and his international career look like those of 2 different players.

In his 4 PL matches, Romero averages 2.50 saves per goal. This season De Gea 2.10. Last season De Gea 2.45 saves per goal conceded.

In EL, over 2 seasons, Romero averages 3.33 saves per goal conceded.

For Argentina in the World Cup, Squawka says 4.5 saves per goal conceded (looks like 4.0 to me but anyway)

Last edited:

ricky-romeo

he is a decent number 2. in fact he is a decent number 1 and a half but just not quite united's number 1 level.

happy to have him as our back up goalie.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Romero barely plays and when he does it's against the worst opposition, he's always been error prone, ask any of the Argentinian fans here.
Romero was dreadful in 2010 but fairly solid from 2014-16

Rulli will likely overtake him as Argentina's #1 for Russia 2018 though.

Giggs86

Reminds me a bit of Barthez. Seems like a good shot-stopper with great reflexes, but lacking in the positioning/discipline department and quite unpredictable.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
My MOTM yesterday.

He had some good stop, and took the ball in the air few times that eased our defense.

Very happy with him as our second keeper

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Let's be honest, he shouldnt be a no. 2. For most clubs, he would start and should leave the club in the summer

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Let's be honest, he shouldnt be a no. 2. For most clubs, he would start and should leave the club in the summer
If he's happy being a number 2 at a club of our size, and happy playing around 10 games a season, then I don't see why we should sell him

Roboc7

He was a number 2 before he joined us so I don't see why he would be in a hurry to leave, he really wouldn't be a number 1 at most clubs as his spells elsewhere have shown.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
No. De Gea has stopped picking a corner and rather waits for the shooter. Very few keepers do that. It means he'll save every shot close to the middle and not reach those hard to reach shots which were difficult saves anyway.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Reminds me a bit of Barthez. Talented but just that bit more mental than you'd like as a no.1. Got to be the best no.2 in the league though I reckon. I'd take him over Ospina, Adrian or Begovic for instance.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
ROMERO OUT TO PROVE A POINT AT UNITED

Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero says he's out to prove a point for the Reds, and is keen to grab first-team opportunities with both hands.

The Argentinian has performed admirably when called upon this season, conceding just two goals in eight appearances in 2016/17, and earning praise from Jose Mourinho.

Romero, who turns 30 today (Wednesday), spoke exclusively to ManUtd.com ahead of the Europa League Round of 32 second leg against Saint-Etienne and says he'd love to feature between the sticks for a third successive game.

“I feel great and I’m happy to be playing, he said. "I think it’s always important to get the chance to help your team-mates on the field. I need to get minutes under my belt to keep my place in the national team and these games are also a mental boost for me, because they show me that I’m at the right level to play in this league as well as for the national team.

“I always have a very positive mindset. I work really hard to prepare myself for when the opportunity comes along. Once I get that chance, I try not to waste it. I want to show everybody that I am ready, that I want to play and am good enough to play.

“It’s also a case of wanting to prove this to myself – that’s probably my main objective," he added. "I approach each training session thinking that I might play at the weekend. If I end up on the bench, I’m disappointed. But when I do get my chance, I try to prove to myself and to my family that I’m up to the job.

"My wife is a great source of support and my two daughters are always asking when I’m going to play, so I want to show them that I can do it. Then all that work you put in during the week with the goalkeeping coaches, and the confidence the manager gives you when he picks you, means you go out on the pitch wanting to perform well.

"It would be nice to start [on Wednesday]. I’m always ready to play so if I’m picked on Wednesday I’ll try to be at 100 per cent for that game, which falls on my birthday. I’ll obviously be away from my wife and daughters, but I’ll be really happy if I’m selected."

As for the game itself, Romero was quick to stress that the tie is far from finished, and believes United can go on to win the competition.

"It’s definitely not over," he added. "I played at that ground two years ago, when I was at Monaco, and their team spirit combined with the passion of the fans creates a powerful atmosphere. It puts you under a lot of pressure, but we’ve got to stick to our game; be calm on the ball, pick the right time to press and dictate the tempo. We need to make sure that we go through to the next round.

"We’ll play our own game and try to carry out the manager’s instructions. We have a great manager that plans and prepares for every match, so we’ll do what he asks us to on the pitch and hopefully come back to Manchester with smiles on our faces.

"We’ve always believed we could win this competition," he declared. "We have a duty, as Manchester United players, to go as far as we possibly can in every competition, whether that’s the Premier League, the FA Cup or the Europa League. Even if it’s a friendly, we need to make sure that we give a good account of ourselves. As I said before, the most important thing is that we focus on our job so that we can progress in the Europa League."

King.of.Red

ROMERO OUT TO PROVE A POINT AT UNITED

Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero says he's out to prove a point for the Reds, and is keen to grab first-team opportunities with both hands.

The Argentinian has performed admirably when called upon this season, conceding just two goals in eight appearances in 2016/17, and earning praise from Jose Mourinho.

Romero, who turns 30 today (Wednesday), spoke exclusively to ManUtd.com ahead of the Europa League Round of 32 second leg against Saint-Etienne and says he'd love to feature between the sticks for a third successive game.

“I feel great and I’m happy to be playing, he said. "I think it’s always important to get the chance to help your team-mates on the field. I need to get minutes under my belt to keep my place in the national team and these games are also a mental boost for me, because they show me that I’m at the right level to play in this league as well as for the national team.

“I always have a very positive mindset. I work really hard to prepare myself for when the opportunity comes along. Once I get that chance, I try not to waste it. I want to show everybody that I am ready, that I want to play and am good enough to play.

“It’s also a case of wanting to prove this to myself – that’s probably my main objective," he added. "I approach each training session thinking that I might play at the weekend. If I end up on the bench, I’m disappointed. But when I do get my chance, I try to prove to myself and to my family that I’m up to the job.

"My wife is a great source of support and my two daughters are always asking when I’m going to play, so I want to show them that I can do it. Then all that work you put in during the week with the goalkeeping coaches, and the confidence the manager gives you when he picks you, means you go out on the pitch wanting to perform well.

"It would be nice to start [on Wednesday]. I’m always ready to play so if I’m picked on Wednesday I’ll try to be at 100 per cent for that game, which falls on my birthday. I’ll obviously be away from my wife and daughters, but I’ll be really happy if I’m selected."

As for the game itself, Romero was quick to stress that the tie is far from finished, and believes United can go on to win the competition.

"It’s definitely not over," he added. "I played at that ground two years ago, when I was at Monaco, and their team spirit combined with the passion of the fans creates a powerful atmosphere. It puts you under a lot of pressure, but we’ve got to stick to our game; be calm on the ball, pick the right time to press and dictate the tempo. We need to make sure that we go through to the next round.

"We’ll play our own game and try to carry out the manager’s instructions. We have a great manager that plans and prepares for every match, so we’ll do what he asks us to on the pitch and hopefully come back to Manchester with smiles on our faces.

"We’ve always believed we could win this competition," he declared. "We have a duty, as Manchester United players, to go as far as we possibly can in every competition, whether that’s the Premier League, the FA Cup or the Europa League. Even if it’s a friendly, we need to make sure that we give a good account of ourselves. As I said before, the most important thing is that we focus on our job so that we can progress in the Europa League."
hopefully this is only to show that he is confident to be trusted and reliable as back up/2nd GK, not a sign that he wants to be 1st GK because he has no chance to surpass De Gea or not a sign he wants to leave us because I'm happy with him as our 2nd GK and United player.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
hopefully this is only to show that he is confident to be trusted and reliable as back up/2nd GK, not a sign that he wants to be 1st GK because he has no chance to surpass De Gea or not a sign he wants to leave us because I'm happy with him as our 2nd GK and United player.
Yeah, he’s played well and never complained about anything. Having played as a 2nd keeper for a few years, I wouldn’t hold it against him if he left for more football at this stage of his career. Really happy with him and how Jose’s used him; an ideal way to keep your 2nd keeper happy and on form.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Out of interest, at what level club could you see him starting for on a regular basis as number 1.

led_scholes

Him or DDG on Sunday? I m not comparing their ability as it is obvious that DDG is a far better goalie, but I wouldn t mind him being our keeper on sunday. I do worry though that DDG might lack match fitness after.

Status
Not open for further replies.