Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Amazing how the tide has turned on him. Many didn't think he was good enough to come here two summers ago.
Don't think that many were against him being our second keeper. In fact, it was obvious that we're getting one of the strongest back up keepers in the game today.
Still not good enough to replace De Gea if he leaves though

The United

I like how he looks stoned.

It is good of jose to let him start some cup games so far. He is reliable enough to start every cup games except CL imo while DDG being in the team.

Hope he keeps getting games to keep him happy for now especially we don't know what will happen this summer with DDG again.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He very rarely lets in any goals. I quite like that about him.

Jaybomb

Don't think that many were against him being our second keeper. In fact, it was obvious that we're getting one of the strongest back up keepers in the game today.
Still not good enough to replace De Gea if he leaves though
Bit harsh. His clean sheet record for us is great.

If De Gea does go, I'd be happy with Sergio. If he can get to the World Cup final and Copa America final twice, he can get to a Champions League final.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Bit harsh. His clean sheet record for us is great.

If De Gea does go, I'd be happy with Sergio. If he can get to the World Cup final and Copa America final twice, he can get to a Champions League final.
That's not an indicator of his actual level, he plays in the games where we can afford not to play De Gea because of non-sufficient quality of the opposing side.

He's had his fair share of howlers over the years and he never was very impressive for Argentina. Of course he can reach the CL final if the team plays good enough, Djimi Traore can make it and even win it. But he never be an influence on that campaign like Cech was in 2012 or Schmeichel in 1999 etc.
Rojo also has a great record as a left back for Argentina - would you be happy if we play him there now constantly?

Ixion

He's fine as a back-up but he's clearly not a #1 for a club our size. Even last night you could see the problems with his kicking, it's Bosnich level. He has a lot of clean-sheets but he plays the easier games. He can play when we rotate but if DDG left we would need to a find a new #1.

Nickosaur

He's fine as a back-up but he's clearly not a #1 for a club our size. Even last night you could see the problems with his kicking, it's Bosnich level. He has a lot of clean-sheets but he plays the easier games. He can play when we rotate but if DDG left we would need to a find a new #1.
Well duh.

SirAF

Ageist
That's not an indicator of his actual level, he plays in the games where we can afford not to play De Gea because of non-sufficient quality of the opposing side.

He's had his fair share of howlers over the years and he never was very impressive for Argentina. Of course he can reach the CL final if the team plays good enough, Djimi Traore can make it and even win it. But he never be an influence on that campaign like Cech was in 2012 or Schmeichel in 1999 etc.
Rojo also has a great record as a left back for Argentina - would you be happy if we play him there now constantly?
Agreed. I like Romero, but if de Gea goes then we got to be ruthless. No "nah, he's good enough".

derace

i like him. he is pretty reliable and doesnt seem to bother beeing second choice. always smiles on pictures and seems to be a nice guy too

Zoo

No you definitely don't. That honour would go to Chelsea
Begovic is overrated. I think Ospina is the best second choice and deserves to be starting ahead of Cech.

Runner

i like him. he is pretty reliable and doesnt seem to bother beeing second choice. always smiles on pictures and seems to be a nice guy too
That's how i feel about him too. He's not causing any waves and is generally a decent keeper.

RedMaestro

Agreed. I like Romero, but if de Gea goes then we got to be ruthless. No "nah, he's good enough".
But the problem is that there aren't that many world class goalkeepers out there, much like with the strikers.

Special_One

If de Gea left, he could easily step in no problem. The only thing I'm worried about is that coming into his prime he may want regular football.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Van Der Gouw was a nice #2. But saying he was better than Romero is just plain silly.
If we were to rate our first and second keeper from 1 to 10 I'd say we have never been closer to 20 than with these two. I'm truly happy that he seems to accept being second to DDG. He would without a doubt take place between the posts of many good clubs out there.
Vd Gouw was with United for 6 years as back up, and I don't remember anyone questioning when he played. With Romero, you can find some earlier negative posts about him here.

Obviously, Romero comes with more credential on international games.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Begovic is overrated. I think Ospina is the best second choice and deserves to be starting ahead of Cech.
Yeah. I'd say Ospina>Romero>Begovic.

Bogga

Vd Gouw was with United for 6 years as back up, and I don't remember anyone questioning when he played. With Romero, you can find some earlier negative posts about him here.

Obviously, Romero comes with more credential on international games.
I know all about him, I've been a fan since the 80's... not saying he was totally useless and that Romero is the best thing since sliced bread. But they're honestly in two different divisions...

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
No you definitely don't. That honour would go to Chelsea
I think Begovic is not a good nr. 2. It takes a different kind of mentality to be a backup keeper and it doesn't suit him. Didn't step well in last season when Courtois was injured.

I prefer Ospina, Romero and Caballero to him.

Roboc7

He's spent a lot of his career as a number 2, he wasn't good enough to be first choice at Monaco or sampdoria and he wouldn't be good enough here. However he is reliable and has the temperament to do a job whenever he is needed, would be hard to find a better backup keeper.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I know all about him, I've been a fan since the 80's... not saying he was totally useless and that Romero is the best thing since sliced bread. But they're honestly in two different divisions...
I don't know about this "different level". I vividly remember that VdG had this cat reflection, although he's on his 30's when joining United. And Romero isn't exactly pulling out any trees, even with Argentina NT.

But fair play if people rate Romero as better.

Ramicoo

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't sacrifice this GK for DDG, especially if the later is a Madrid bond. DDG might be more talented is quick reaction than him, but he has something DDG doesn't and won't have which is strong charisma

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Call me crazy, but I wouldn't sacrifice this GK for DDG, especially if the later is a Madrid bond. DDG might be more talented is quick reaction than him, but he has something DDG doesn't and won't have which is strong charisma
You're crazy.

Ramicoo

You're crazy.
Lol ty but I don't care. I stated my reasons, and add to them this quote of Scholes couple of days ago: 'Goalkeeper not a problem, unless Real Madrid want him (David de Gea)' We should act firm on DDG situation and his linkage to Madrid, either he make it clear that he'll forget Madrid or let him go, we should stop being a feeder to Madrid and give them our best players even when we need them and GK position isn't an easy one to replace..

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Really good game. Some good shot stopping, and claiming the ball at corners to immediately set us away.

He's counterattacking distribution is so much better than De Gea's, i.e. he actively looks to attack every time he gathers the ball like VDS and Schmicheal.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Big Serge conceded a goal? I'm not having that. Blackburn obviously didn't get the memo that Serge does not concede goals. Stick to the script.

Hopefully the FA will see sense and revoke it.

Ibi Dreams

His kicking is a bit crap sometimes. Occasionally he doesn't even get the ball out of his own half

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Good game overall. I'm no longer worried when I see De Gea's been left out of the line-up for Cup games. Caught every cross he came for, and even when he did fumble that shot he made up for it with two good saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.