Shamima Begum, IS teen wants to come back to the UK

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Shamima Begum, who fled the UK and joined the Islamic State group, was smuggled into Syria by an intelligence agent for Canada.

Files seen by the BBC show he claimed to have shared Ms Begum's passport details with Canada, and smuggled other Britons to fight for IS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62726954.amp

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Shamima Begum, who fled the UK and joined the Islamic State group, was smuggled into Syria by an intelligence agent for Canada.

Files seen by the BBC show he claimed to have shared Ms Begum's passport details with Canada, and smuggled other Britons to fight for IS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62726954.amp
Does "agent" mean the same as "asset"? This made me think a Canadian intel official was doing the smuggling based on the terminology. Reading the article though, it seems to have been a guy who turned informant.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Does "agent" mean the same as "asset"? This made me think a Canadian intel official was doing the smuggling based on the terminology. Reading the article though, it seems to have been a guy who turned informant.

Rasheed said that in 2013 he had gone to the Canadian Embassy in Jordan to try to apply for asylum. He said: "They told me they were going to grant me my Canadian citizenship if I collect information about the activities of ISIS."
The BBC has been able to confirm that Rasheed passed in and out of Jordan multiple times between 2013 and his arrest in 2015.
Tasnime Akunjee, the lawyer for the Begum family, said there will be a legal hearing in November to challenge the removal of Ms Begum's citizenship and "one of the main arguments" will be that then-Home Secretary Sajid Javid did not consider that she was a victim of trafficking.
"The UK has international obligations as to how we view a trafficked person and what culpability we prescribe to them for their actions," he said.

Mr Akunjee said it was "shocking" that a Canadian intelligence asset was a key part of the smuggling operation - "someone who is supposed to be an ally, protecting our people, rather than trafficking British children into a war zone".
From a legal perspective if she was trafficked as a child I think that is problematic for the home office... well more specifically should be but patel won't care

Abizzz

What evidence is there that she was trafficked? She needed this dudes help who was an informant to get to Syria, but I haven't read anything about her being forced / coerced into going? Brainwashed sure... but trafficked?

NotThatSoph

What evidence is there that she was trafficked? She needed this dudes help who was an informant to get to Syria, but I haven't read anything about her being forced / coerced into going? Brainwashed sure... but trafficked?
15 years old is a clue.

neverdie

Are we the baddies? :nervous:
insofar as we use fundamentalism as a rallying call to suit gepolitical goals and then wash our hands of all the problems it creates... nay, protest from on high about how terrible fundamentalism is, yes, in that respect "we" are the baddies. we used begum and people like her in syria to push against assad and russia. it looks like in this case we endorsed child trafficking and then turned around and said "you can't be a citizen because all of that stuff we wanted you to do was and is too awful". we then use papers to create false images to keep people ignorant about how such things work.

the roles played by certain western countries in syria over the past decade have been a disgrace. russia is known for its cruelty in that conflict, and rightly, but let's not pretend we didn't try to exploit a fundamentalist powder keg at every single turn, with the american president himself, two of them in fact, even openly admitting it.

nothing will happen here because "national security".

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Shocked she hasn't been bumped off yet.

From a legal perspective if she was trafficked as a child I think that is problematic for the home office... well more specifically should be but patel won't care
Her lawyers might think it paints a sympathetic picture but nobody's buying that.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I feel so sorry for her. What a miserable life she’s had.

I believe they think it shows a different legal status that a judge may care about

Think most people have made their mind up about this case and appealing to the public isn't an advisable strategy from her team
It's such an emotive case that the Home Office will make sure she never comes back. Her only hope is if a very left wing government gets in someday.

Balljy

Some of the press is showing the human side of her now including in pictures, which was completely missed out before. There's definitely a change in the way bits of the media are telling the story.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
So you’d rather a teenager that was groomed and trafficked be killed?
By groomed you mean deciding she wanted to join a Nazi state that was carrying out a genocide and throwing homosexuals to their death? Something she was well aware of going in, believed in and still casually talks about without any hint of remorse.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
By groomed you mean deciding she wanted to join a Nazi state that was carrying out a genocide and throwing homosexuals to their death? Something she was well aware of going in, believed in and still casually talks about without any hint of remorse.
Yeah, cause that's what grooming is. In the same way you wouldn't blame a 13 year old girl who was groomed into meeting and having sex with a sex offender.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
So you think she should be killed as well?

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Said it before. Bring her and her family back, if she's committed crimes prove it and let her face real and proportionate justice.
What family? Her husband is in jail in France (I think), her children are all dead, her dad is a Bangladeshi national/citizen.

I think it’s only her mum and siblings that she has any relationship with and they’re all in the UK.

Drainy

What family? Her husband is in jail in France (I think), her children are all dead, her dad is a Bangladeshi national/citizen.

I think it’s only her mum and siblings that she has any relationship with and they’re all in the UK.
I hadn't heard all of her children had died. That's terrible.

Maticmaker

Surely the key thing is her age when all this occurred? Whether she was groomed/trafficked, or she just thought it was a good idea at the time, at 15 she could not really have been fully aware of what she was going to be involved in!

Given all that's happened to her, 'living multiple lives in one skin', so to speak, is she sorry for what she did, does she show remorse and if she does is it genuine?

This is for the Home Office to determine, if she is genuine then on balance she should be shown some leniency and allowed back, but under strict rules that ensure any return to former sympathies would revoke her permit to stay.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
So you think she should be killed as well?
I think any ISIL member returning to these shores should be prosecuted for the murders they participated in as a collective. They're all war criminals.

I actually do prefer having their citizenship revoked after they chose instead to be citizens of a Nazi state so A) the taxpayer doesn't pay for them B) They're not a danger of indoctorinating others British citizens their death ****.

Yeah, cause that's what grooming is. In the same way you wouldn't blame a 13 year old girl who was groomed into meeting and having sex with a sex offender.
If a 15yo was groomed into a gang that collectively killed people they would be tried for multiple murders. That's what she's done, in aiding and abetting a genocide, she's not merely had sex with someone

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
is she sorry for what she did, does she show remorse and if she does is it genuine?
I really don't understand this argument. Every country has prisons filled with people who are not sorry for bad things they did, and all countries have citizens who did bad things and are not sorry, yet they walk around freely after being in prison or not being convicted of something. Why is this young woman any different?

Take her to court, accuse her of whatever crimes you think she committed, and either send her to jail or let her go, depending on the outcome of the trial.

The UK treating her as some sort of super villain is really embarrassing.

Carolina Red

Staff
at 15 she could not really have been fully aware of what she was going to be involved in!
I don’t buy that one bit.

“Ms Begum said she made the choice to go to Syria and could make her own decisions, despite being only 15 at the time. She said she was partly inspired by videos of fighters beheading hostages and also by videos showing "the good life" under IS.
She watched videos of the murders of British hostages, she told the BBC, but said she did not know the names of any of the victims.”
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47276572