Shamima Begum, IS teen wants to come back to the UK

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Whilst wanting to commit acts of terror against the UK…
I really don't even know where you are getting at here. I don't support the decision to revoke her citizenship but you are making some really poor comparisons to justify your view that this has been done because the government is racist.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
There are plenty of Muslims in the UK each year charged with terrorism offenses. This might come as a huge surprise to you @Jericholyte2 but they don't get made stateless for being convicted of these crimes.

Jericholyte2

I really don't even know where you are getting at here. I don't support the decision to revoke her citizenship but you are making some really poor comparisons to justify your view that this has been done because the government is racist.
So the difference is he was in the UK while Begum was in Syria.

Or are you thinking of another difference?
Case 1:

- 15 year old, member of an ethnic minority
- Groomed by a gang whilst a minor
- Is groomed to the point where she is convinced to go to Syria and support ISIS
- Is raped by her groomers and loses several children
- Is then punished further for her acts AS A MINOR by having her citizenship revoked

Case 2:
- 22yr old white male
- Joins a far right white nationalist terror group
- Plots acts of terror against UK
- Was originally sentenced to ‘read classic literature’ with a suspended sentence
- Later given a prison sentence
- Never had removal of citizenship considered

This is a poor example to suggest the government is inherently racist in what way?

Jericholyte2

There are plenty of Muslims in the UK each year charged with terrorism offenses. This might come as a huge surprise to you @Jericholyte2 but they don't get made stateless for being convicted of these crimes.
Indeed, and they’re never scapegoated at all by the government. Never! Not once!

I still find it staggering that people believe that a 15yr old who was groomed and raped also deserves to live the rest of her life stateless.

hobbers

Wasn't Jihadi Jack stripped of his citizenship same as Begum? But he's white.

So it maybe seems like you're more likely to be stripped of your citizenship if you leave the country to join terrorist death cults based abroad.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I've now asked 4 classes, only 1 of them mine. Of that group, only 1 student has said anything other than "she's an idiot, don't send her back" and that person said "okay, I can see how a 15 year old could do that, even if I wouldn't... but they'd have to be the dumbest person in the school".

Maybe you should rethink your opinion of 15 year olds.
Dude, youre totally missing the point here. You asking as a teacher is going to garner a certain response. Now I’m not saying every 15 year old wants to secretly join ISIS, but what 15 year olds think and feel in their closed friendship groups can be different to what they relay to a person in authority.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports

So it maybe seems like you're more likely to be stripped of your citizenship if you leave the country to join terrorist death cults based abroad.
He looks a bit brown though right @Jericholyte2

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
You are surely aware that this is the point of grooming gangs!?! Make the minor dependant on you, build an unhealthy relationship with them, so when you ask them to go to X or Y play they do so ‘voluntary’ as you say.

If she’d been groomed by a teacher and they ran off to France, police forces in UK and France would be working to return them, prosecute him and rescue her.

The only difference here is context, the type of context being quite obvious.
Groomed by a teacher.

Not Groomed by freaking abu bakr al baghdadi!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I've now asked 4 classes, only 1 of them mine. Of that group, only 1 student has said anything other than "she's an idiot, don't send her back" and that person said "okay, I can see how a 15 year old could do that, even if I wouldn't... but they'd have to be the dumbest person in the school".

Maybe you should rethink your opinion of 15 year olds.
And the winner of the DHOTYA 2022 goes to….

NotThatSoph

He looks a bit brown though right @Jericholyte2
Jack Letts had dual citizenship Shamina Begum doesn't. Not even close to comparable.

Carolina Red

Staff
And the winner of the DHOTYA 2022 goes to….
And the winner of "I don't like what he said so I'm gonna act like it didn't happen" 2022 goes to...

Thursday's a school day in this country, Pexbo. I'm a social studies teacher. Current events is literally something we talk about every day. :eek:

Carolina Red

Staff
Jack Letts had dual citizenship Shamina Begum doesn't. Not even close to comparable.
Were the cited lawyers wrong?

Is she entitled to Bangladeshi citizenship?
Expert lawyers with experience in Bangladeshi citizenship cases have told the BBC that under Bangladesh law, a UK national like Ms Begum, if born to a Bangladeshi parent, is automatically a Bangladeshi citizen. That means that such a person would have dual nationality.
If the person remains in the UK, their Bangladeshi citizenship remains in existence but dormant.

Under this "blood line" law, Bangladeshi nationality and citizenship lapse when a person reaches the age of 21, unless they make efforts to activate and retain it.

So, it is Ms Begum's age, 19, that is likely - in part - to have given Home Office lawyers and the home secretary reassurance there was a legal basis for stripping her of her UK citizenship.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47310206

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
The poster was saying the revoking of British citizenship is racist and justified his belief by comparing it to the non revocation of citizenship for white supremacists in the UK. It's a far better example to the one that he gave when you consider that they both travelled to Syria to join ISIS and now can't leave the country as no one wants to take them back.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
And the winner of "I don't like what he said so I'm gonna act like it didn't happen" 2022 goes to...

Thursday's a school day in this country, Pexbo. I'm a social studies teacher. Current events is literally something we talk about every day. :eek:
Are you asking your students if a 15 year old knows what their doing or about the idea of stripping a person off their citizenship?

neverdie

She was not kidnapped. She went voluntary. Your comparisons of grooming for sex holds no value here
was she not smuggled into syria by canadian intel agents working with the knowledge of british intel either immediately or immediately after the fact? our intel services are apparently in the child trafficking business now.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Sure Jan

neverdie

i can see why it might be difficult to let her back in. how do you try her? you were party to smuggling her into syria in the first instance and witholding that fact from other law enforcement agencies. could easily become a trial of the british state's role in other such activities. though it would likely be a closed trial with national security cited.

Carolina Red

Staff
Are you asking your students if a 15 year old knows what their doing or about the idea of stripping a person off their citizenship?
Both.

They, by overwhelming majority, think she should have known better than to join ISIS and think that the UK should not let her back in.

neverdie

They, by overwhelming majority, think she should have known better than to join ISIS and think that the UK should not let her back in.
what do they think about canadian and british intel smuggling her into syria, or did you ask that? gets more complicated from there on in. when you consider that we foster this kind of fundamentalist madness for instrumental purposes to use against states we don't like, doing all kinds of illegal things in the name of national security and covering them up, and then we apply a different set of rules when it blows back upon us.

hobbers

How do people not know the difference between an intelligence asset and a spy?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
was she not smuggled into syria by canadian intel agents
It depends how you define “intel agents.” She was smuggled in by an ISIS operative who was, at the same time, passing on information to Canadian intelligence in the expectation that he’d be granted Canadian citizenship in exchange.

neverdie

It depends how you define “intel agents.” She was smuggled in by an ISIS operative who was, at the same time, passing on information to Canadian intelligence in the expectation that he’d be granted Canadian citizenship in exchange.
a double agent working freelance with plausible deniability. and the british state knew of it when the met police were actively ignorant. this meets my definition, anyway. they were all in the know. he's working for isis and western intelligence, passing information back and forth, and smuggling children. that's enough for me.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Were the cited lawyers wrong?

Is she entitled to Bangladeshi citizenship?
Expert lawyers with experience in Bangladeshi citizenship cases have told the BBC that under Bangladesh law, a UK national like Ms Begum, if born to a Bangladeshi parent, is automatically a Bangladeshi citizen. That means that such a person would have dual nationality.
If the person remains in the UK, their Bangladeshi citizenship remains in existence but dormant.

Under this "blood line" law, Bangladeshi nationality and citizenship lapse when a person reaches the age of 21, unless they make efforts to activate and retain it.

So, it is Ms Begum's age, 19, that is likely - in part - to have given Home Office lawyers and the home secretary reassurance there was a legal basis for stripping her of her UK citizenship.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47310206
Why should Bangladesh take her?

Carolina Red

Staff
what do they think about canadian and british intel smuggling her into syria, or did you ask that? gets more complicated from there on in. when you consider that we foster this kind of fundamentalist madness for instrumental purposes to use against states we don't like, doing all kinds of illegal things in the name of national security and covering them up, and then we apply a different set of rules when it blows back upon us.
No, I did not ask that, because I believe it is a non-factor in the entire string of decisions she made in order to go and marry into ISIS. If the double agent wasn't there to smuggle her in, someone else would have.
Why should Bangladesh take her?
I'm not sure they should. But that's not pertinent to what I posted. I'm simply showing that "expert lawyers" said she's eligible for Bangladeshi citizenship, so stripping her of UK citizenship wasn't illegal.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Which element of extremism did he join…exactly.
In what way does that prove your point? There are no modern day examples of far-right white people from the UK travelling abroad to join a terrorist group at war with the UK. The only apt comparison is people involved in domestic terrorism and those right-wing white people were tried and convicted of their crimes just like the Muslims in the UK involved in domestic terrorism.

Moby

Dick
Is it? Almost every time a young terrorist or terrorist sympathizer is in the media spotlight there's a lot of focus on what lead up to it and how it happened: social circles, trips abroad, Internet activity, etc. After Philip Manshaug murdered his adoptive sister and attacked a mosque in an attempt to start a race war there were endless talk and written articles about his life. His changing personality, reaction from his friends, both during and after the fact, his social isolation, his Internet activity.

Manshaug got a trial and is in prison now. He is still a Norwegian citizen. We've also had several so-called "IS brides", as far as I know they're still Norwegian citizens.
Sorry but how many such examples do you know as compared to pretty much all cases of any known terrorists not getting any second chances (and rightly so of course). Depends on country to country but anyone who actively and willingly involved in acts of mass murder against the people of my country shouldn't be setting a single foot around anyone, period. Good thing that's how things go in most cases anyway.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
@Jericholyte2 I've just remembered that you were the guy who spammed the David Amess thread saying it was understandable that the terrorist murder did what he did because of austerity. I forgot I was replying to someone who is insane so apologies for having bothered to reply to your nonsense here.

Jericholyte2

In what way does that prove your point? There are no modern day examples of far-right white people from the UK travelling abroad to join a terrorist group at war with the UK. The only apt comparison is people involved in domestic terrorism and those right-wing white people were tried and convicted of their crimes just like the Muslims in the UK involved in domestic terrorism.
White nationalists join extreme groups, get prison time. A minor is groomed by Islamic extremists, is trafficked to Syria, is raped, loses children and is then not only allowed a return to face trial, but is rendered a non-citizen! If you can’t see the bigotry in that then I guess it shows a few things.

What other comparison do you have that’s even CLOSE to a minor (you’re either deliberately ignoring this fact or just ignorant!) being trafficked out of a country to ‘join’ a grooming gang?

@Jericholyte2 I've just remembered that you were the guy who spammed the David Amess thread saying it was understandable that the terrorist murder did what he did because of austerity. I forgot I was replying to someone who is insane so apologies for having bothered to reply to your nonsense here.
Far from insane but again not comparable. Comments (not spam) we’re based on understanding of the situation at the time, and I stand by an understanding of how people pushed to extremes could reply with extreme actions.

I’m not however in the business of judging MINORS by their decisions after having been groomed. I wonder, are you also of the type who suggest that women who are victims of rape or sexual assault shouldn’t where short skirts or get quite so drunk?

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
As I said, the guy's insane. I liked his idea about the government introducing a scheme so every parent could be assessed by social workers twice a week to see if they're allowed to keep their child. At least that one was funny.

Jericholyte2

As I said, the guy's insane. I liked his idea about the government introducing a scheme so every parent could be assessed by social workers twice a week to see if they're allowed to keep their child. At least that one was funny.
I assume you’re aware of the notion of attacking the person over the argument once you’ve realised you’re argument is dead in the water.

So I’ll ask one more time, slowly to help.

Are you in favour of a situation where a 15yr old CHILD was groomed, trafficked, raped, and then left in Syria, not even being granted a right to return to face trial in juvenile courts?

If so then I think you should have a long hard look at yourself and your bigotry.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I assume you’re aware of the notion of attacking the person over the argument once you’ve realised you’re argument is dead in the water.

So I’ll ask one more time, slowly to help.

Are you in favour of a situation where a 15yr old CHILD was groomed, trafficked, raped, and then left in Syria, not even being granted a right to return to face trial in juvenile courts?

If so then I think you should have a long hard look at yourself and your bigotry.
I mean, you've called me a racist, a bigot and some kind of rape apologist. Why would I continue to bother engaging with someone coming up with these baseless insults? Thinking that you've "won" after the other person makes the decision to stop engaging you because of these moronic statements is a really weird take, but okay. Welcome to my ignore list: population 1.

NotThatSoph

Sorry but how many such examples do you know as compared to pretty much all cases of any known terrorists not getting any second chances (and rightly so of course). Depends on country to country but anyone who actively and willingly involved in acts of mass murder against the people of my country shouldn't be setting a single foot around anyone, period. Good thing that's how things go in most cases anyway.
I'm not sure what you mean about second chances. Out of probably hundreds of examples I'm aware of of either surviving terrorists, members of terrorist groups or terrorist examples, I don't know of anyone getting this treatment.

I know of people being trialed and sentenced to either jail or death. I know of getting no punishment. I know of people stuck abroad. I know of people losing their dual citizenship. I don't know of a single person being made stateless. Not one, except this.

Jericholyte2

I mean - you've called me a racist, a bigot and some kind of rape apologist. Why would I continue to bother engaging with someone coming up with these baseless insults? Thinking that you've "won" after the other person makes the decision to stop engaging you because of these moronic statements is a really weird take, but okay. Welcome to my ignore list: population 1.
As per previously you’re not actually answering the questions asked, so assumptions will inevitably be made.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I'm not sure they should. But that's not pertinent to what I posted. I'm simply showing that "expert lawyers" said she's eligible for Bangladeshi citizenship, so stripping her of UK citizenship wasn't illegal.
What Bangladesh citizenship says is relatively meaningless given she’s a British citizen, and has been one for her whole life. Again though, it’s the UK absolving themselves of any accountability and responsibility. I’m from a BAME background (but British), and it’d scare me shitless if the UK could strip my citizenship because my ethnicity is non-English. This speaks to the whole Windrush scandal we had a few years ago.

Carolina Red

Staff
What Bangladesh citizenship says is relatively meaningless given she’s a British citizen, and has been one for her whole life
Not when UK law says you can strip someone of UK citizenship if they have / are eligible for another. Then it is very relevant to her case, hence the lawyers saying what they said.
I’m from a BAME background (but British), and it’d scare me shitless if the UK could strip my citizenship because my ethnicity is non-English.
Something tells me you don’t have to worry about it unless you run off and marry a member of an enemy combatant terrorist group that’s mid-genocide.