Shamima Begum, IS teen wants to come back to the UK

slyadams

Don’t get why if she is no longer a British citizen she‘s still receiving legal aid?

Absolute gravy train for her legal team.
Because there's plenty of people willing to fund human rights causes.

Drainy

Don’t get why if she is no longer a British citizen she‘s still receiving legal aid?

Absolute gravy train for her legal team.
oh yeah, all those legal aid lawyers on the gravy train

My guess is its exceptional case funding which means around £50-70ph recovery for the business with overheads, admin staff etc to pay out of it..

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Surely this is all about the government 'making an example' to try to put off others who may, in the future, be tempted to follow the same/similar path.

I think most people agree that at 15 years old, effective and considered decision -making is not part of many teenagers skill sets; however it would appear that Shamina Begun even when she was faced with reality continued in the life she had chosen, regrets only seemed to have entered her mind when IS began to fall apart.

Eventually the Government will have to take a decision based either on human rights, as many consider it should, or because it has strung out the agony, long enough and has shown its determination not to roll over on such matters.
The next stage then when her citizenship is restored, will be deciding what to do with her?
I listened to the radio programme about her during the weekend (recovering from my 2nd knee replacement surgery). And it was pretty clear that she was far more aware of what was going on with ISIS than she had tried to make out.
Moreover, she had repeatedly lied about knowing anything about the Egyptian family she had been staying with.
And she admitted that she had paid her own travel costs to join IS and was not really trafficked. She also admitted that she had helped recruit a number of young girls and had a clear understanding of the atrocities that were going on.
It is difficult for me to conceive that she does not pose a risk to the security of the UK and so I agree with the decision.

Widow

The argument around her human rights is valid but the courts will also have to consider the human rights of those she'll come into contact with if allowed back into the country.

Wilt

oh yeah, all those legal aid lawyers on the gravy train

My guess is its exceptional case funding which means around £50-70ph recovery for the business with overheads, admin staff etc to pay out of it..
A lawyer charging £50-70 an hour?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Disgraceful, cowardly decision and yet another example of the government seeing itself above the law and happy to ditch its responsibilities to its citizens.

Global Britain, we'll look to renege on international agreements we've just signed, happy to flout international law and will dump our problems on other countries when it suits us politically.

Their line that Begum 'went into it with her eyes open' as a child is dangerous. Maybe Gary Glitter will try using that as a defence next time he's in court.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
You know people have run out of arguments when they start talking about how much her lawyers are making.

Maybe syria can start stripping the nationality off of their criminals and dump them in some british island.

NotThatSoph

The argument around her human rights is valid but the courts will also have to consider the human rights of those she'll come into contact with if allowed back into the country.
What human rights would that be?

Drainy

A lawyer charging £50-70 an hour?
That's legal aid prescribed rates.

I work in Legal Aid for a Human Rights department, though we don't do immigration

You're looking at £50 to £75 for solicitors, a bit more for barristers, but not the gravy train sums..

Wilt

That's legal aid prescribed rates.

I work in Legal Aid for a Human Rights department, though we don't do immigration

You're looking at £50 to £75 for solicitors, a bit more for barristers, but not the gravy train sums..
Fair enough, though at last count my solicitor/lawyer was charging £280 an hour +vat

Drainy

Fair enough, though at last count my solicitor/lawyer was charging £280 an hour +vat
As do ours when the client is paying privately, or even more if working on a Conditional Fee Agreement etc.

We're talking about legal aid under non-inquest exceptional case funding which you brought up because she is funded by legal aid.

Most law firms don't do legal aid and those that do have very narrow margins with legal aid or are subsidised by other funding.

Your misinterpretation of the 'gravy train' is why the rates haven't gone up since 1992 and went down by 10% in 2012

Widow

That's a middle-of-the-road fee. As a Junior Barrister, my fees would be around £100-£200 P/H reaching £500-£700 P/H as a senior. Bear in mind that there are no set fees outside of legal aid, excluding fixed fee arangments etc...

NotThatSoph

If I was charged with representing a neighbour of SB, I would argue Article 27 & 28 Universal Declaration on Human Rights were breached. Article 2 and Protocol 1 article 1 could also be argued. This is just off the top of my head.
I assume I'm misunderstanding, because surely you're not referring to this? https://www.un.org/en/about-us/universal-declaration-of-human-rights

Article 27 said:
  1. Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
  2. Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.

Article 28 said:
Everyone is entitled to a social and international order in which the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration can be fully realized.

Wilt

As do ours when the client is paying privately, or even more if working on a Conditional Fee Agreement etc.

We're talking about legal aid under non-inquest exceptional case funding which you brought up because she is funded by legal aid.

Most law firms don't do legal aid and those that do have very narrow margins with legal aid or are subsidised by other funding.

Your misinterpretation of the 'gravy train' is why the rates haven't gone up since 1992 and went down by 10% in 2012
Thanks for explaining ….good to know

Widow

NotThatSoph

Apologies. Article 2 and Protocol 1 Article 1 of HRA 1998.

I would argue Article 27 and 28 UDHR as being denied the right out of fear.

Google will not give you much depth to any argument in any of the articles.
If someone has Begum as a neighbour, then either she hasn't been found guilty of a crime, or she has finished serving her sentence. You're not being serious, this is a weird topic to wum about.

I’ve actually been surprised. Can’t really judge people by their online cover, but seen a fair few comments on Twitter by people who I’d guess are not at either political extremes who are just judging her as a child.

My opinion about the grooming aspect. While no expert by any means. I think we need to start with the acceptance that every bad/evil person was once a child. It’s also possible for someone already bad to be groomed. Then they get into something they enjoy and start rising the ranks.

I don’t know what the case is with Shamima or what her mind is like. Based on how much of a leader she apparently became, people should consider the possibility that her own personality outweighs the grooming aspect which no doubt played a role in her going. But once she was there, she might have been amongst similar minds.
I think the grooming aspect is being seen for what it is, a cynical attempt by her legal team to curry favour.

Widow

If someone has Begum as a neighbour, then either she hasn't been found guilty of a crime, or she has finished serving her sentence. You're not being serious, this is a weird topic to wum about.
The argument for her Citizenship is based on her still being a threat.

Edit: Neighbour, in a legal context, are people who stay in your locality, people that are affected by your actions. Not necessarily the people that live next door to you.

Last edited:

Wilt

That's a middle-of-the-road fee. As a Junior Barrister, my fees would be around £100-£200 P/H reaching £500-£700 P/H as a senior. Bear in mind that there are no set fees outside of legal aid, excluding fixed fee arangments etc...
Serious money, though surprised.
Would you charge those fees if representing someone on legal aid ….or is that a different type of Barrister?

Widow

Serious money, though surprised.
Would you charge those fees if representing someone on legal aid ….or is that a different type of Barrister?
No, legal aid fees work around set parameters. It's difficult to state an exact fee as there are Lawyers that will only do Legal Aid work and other private Lawyers that will do certain cases. Generally, the fees are governed by The Civil Legal Aid (Remuneration) Regulations 2013.

Privately is it good money but the hours are very long and the work is very stressful. For example, receiving paperwork from the CPS at midnight and being due in court at 9 am. It is not how it looks on the TV.

Wilt

No, legal aid fees work around set parameters. It's difficult to state an exact fee as there are Lawyers that will only do Legal Aid work and other private Lawyers that will do certain cases. Generally, the fees are governed by The Civil Legal Aid (Remuneration) Regulations 2013.

Privately is it good money but the hours are very long and the work is very stressful. For example, receiving paperwork from the CPS at midnight and being due in court at 9 am. It is not how it looks on the TV.
Interesting. BTW trust I’m not being charged for this information :)

My Dutch stepgrandmother was a Barrister though I have no idea about her earnings other than she lived a comfortable life.

RedDevil@84

SB was born here, but because she has a Bangladeshi father, she can be stripped of her UK citizenship on the basis that because she was under 21, she would be theoretically able to apply for citizenship there.
And that makes it worse as an argument. Countries cannot dump their bad apples on other nations.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
It also underscores the arbitrariness of the deprivation of citizenship powers.

SB was born here, but because she has a Bangladeshi father, she can be stripped of her UK citizenship on the basis that because she was under 21, she would be theoretically able to apply for citizenship there.

Meanwhile, because the killers of Jamie Bulger were born here, and had British parents, they remain British, and the taxpayer has been contributing to their new identities, lives and detention for 30 years.
But she was born in the UK. Shouldn't that trump everything else?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Surprised at the tone change in this thread. The decision was being widely celebrated when it was first made, despite the same obvious implications for what citizenship means.

ISIS a more distant memory?

Maticmaker

I listened to the radio programme about her during the weekend (recovering* from my 2nd knee replacement surgery). And it was pretty clear that she was far more aware of what was going on with ISIS than she had tried to make out.
Moreover, she had repeatedly lied about knowing anything about the Egyptian family she had been staying with.
And she admitted that she had paid her own travel costs to join IS and was not really trafficked. She also admitted that she had helped recruit a number of young girls and had a clear understanding of the atrocities that were going on.
It is difficult for me to conceive that she does not pose a risk to the security of the UK and so I agree with the decision.
(*Hope that is going well, don't over do it, follow the Docs orders :))

Yes, its possible for me to get my head around a 15 year old getting everything wrong, maybe being lured by others, but the reality she faced on arrival should have made her take stock, she apparently didn't and carried on and engaged with what was going on around her. Knowing what was taking place and doing nothing, is one thing, actively involved in recruiting others is something else.

MoskvaRed

If you’re the child of first generation immigrants, it sets a precedent that you’re in the UK conditionally.,I don’t have much sympathy for her but the UK should own this problem and put her in a British prison while they try to rehabilitate her (if that’s possible).

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
But she was born in the UK. Shouldn't that trump everything else?
Sadly not.

The citizenship laws have been changed so that it is okay to remove British citizenship from someone if there is a real possibility they can obtain another country's citizenship.

In practice this normally means via parents or grandparents.

So citizenship is much more likely to be stripped from someone who is a first or second generation immigrant, even if in the latter case the person is born in the UK.

It basically applies disproportionately heavily on people of colour, who are punished not for what they have done, but for the fact their parents were not born here.

To put it another way, Jimmy Savile and Harold Shipman (if both alive today) would not be able to have their citizenship removed as there is no other available nationality for them to apply for.

Shamima Begum, because of her youth, was theoretically able to apply for Bangladeshi citizenship as she was under 21, and that was all the Home Secretary needed to show under the current laws.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Sadly not.

The citizenship laws have been changed so that it is okay to remove British citizenship from someone if there is a real possibility they can obtain another country's citizenship.

In practice this normally means via parents or grandparents.

So citizenship is much more likely to be stripped from someone who is a first or second generation immigrant, even if in the latter case the person is born in the UK.

It basically applies disproportionately heavily on people of colour, who are punished not for what they have done, but for the fact their parents were not born here.

To put it another way, Jimmy Savile and Harold Shipman (if both alive today) would not be able to have their citizenship removed as there is no other available nationality for them to apply for.

Shamima Begum, because of her youth, was theoretically able to apply for Bangladeshi citizenship as she was under 21, and that was all the Home Secretary needed to show under the current laws.
I don't think this is right. A person's birthright shouldn't be stripped based on any other criteria. If they were born in X country that's their birthright. I know this is a special situation so I'm speaking generally.
US is one of the very few countries that gives citizenship by virtue of birth within it's territories. My daughter was born in US and hence she's an US Citizen, even though me and my wife are Indian citizens.
That's why I was confused. Kids who were born here are untouchable regardless of where their parents were born. The dreamers act I think it's called.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
I don't think this is right. A person's birthright shouldn't be stripped based on any other criteria. If they were born in X country that's their birthright. I know this is a special situation so I'm speaking generally.

That's why I was confused. Kids who were born here are untouchable regardless of where their parents were born. The dreamers act I think it's called.
Just pointing out that US is the exception than the norm. Majority of the countries today do not bestow a citizenship purely on the basis of the place of birth

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Disgraceful, cowardly decision and yet another example of the government seeing itself above the law and happy to ditch its responsibilities to its citizens.

Global Britain, we'll look to renege on international agreements we've just signed, happy to flout international law and will dump our problems on other countries when it suits us politically.

Their line that Begum 'went into it with her eyes open' as a child is dangerous. Maybe Gary Glitter will try using that as a defence next time he's in court.
Children cannot consent to things like this.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Manchester arena bombing victim says: “Those innocent pop fans never came home so why should she?”

It’s an emotional argument, and they’ve definitely got a point. I do however think as much as she deserves to be banished, she’s the UKs problem and the UK should deal with her. There’s lots of other threats to national security out there, but we don’t just shoot them out of a cannon so they can live far away from here.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm not her biggest fan (I never bought any of her merch and haven't listened to her latest album) but it's clear she does have quite a cult following on here and is probably ahead of Corden in the opinion polls.