Shamima Begum, IS teen wants to come back to the UK

hobbers

I'm not her biggest fan (I never bought any of her merch and haven't listened to her latest album) but it's clear she does have quite a cult following on here and is probably ahead of Corden in the opinion polls.
She'd be somewhere between Sam Smith and Markle if I were to hazard a guess.

Fluctuation0161

But she was born in the UK. Shouldn't that trump everything else?
Yes, it should. A country shouldn't be able to deport its own citizens. No matter how much you want them gone. They are their own countries responsibility to manage.

This outcome essentially means, if you are born here but are the child of an immigrant, you have less rights as a UK citizen.

I still think if she had blonde heir and blue eyes we would've had a different outcome. If not only the media narrative.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Just pointing out that US is the exception than the norm. Majority of the countries today do not bestow a citizenship purely on the basis of the place of birth
Yes, it should. A country shouldn't be able to deport its own citizens. No matter how much you want them gone. They are their own countries responsibility to manage.

This outcome essentially means, if you are born here but are the child of an immigrant, you have less rights as a UK citizen.

I still think if she had blonde heir and blue eyes we would've had a different outcome. If not only the media narrative.
This is really sad. We don't get to choose where we're born and the place where we entered this world will always be home no matter where we go or what we become. No one should be able to take that away from a person. Home is home. It shouldn't matter where her parents are born. The only thing that matters is where she was born. Taking that away from someone is wrong in so many ways.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
If you take her back, that brainwashing is gonna take a lot of effort/resources to undo. Its not easy, especially with the quotes I'm reading about the Manchester bombing.

Just saying, from experience (not live, just being in the general region here), these kids are so brainwashed since youth, sometimes its impossible.
It is still very much possible. I mean your average kid at 15 is a nut case anyway. Some are obsessed with a football club, a band, a movie star, a weird hobby etc.
In general life is a continuous lesson and you will be another person at 30.
Yes, she made a grave mistake, but she was 15. Her parents and her social environment have actually failed her.

Abizzz

It is still very much possible. I mean your average kid at 15 is a nut case anyway. Some are obsessed with a football club, a band, a movie star, a weird hobby etc.
In general life is a continuous lesson and you will be another person at 30.
Yes, she made a grave mistake, but she was 15. Her parents and her social environment have actually failed her.
This just isn't true. Loads of 15, 16 year olds volunteer their holidays for laudable causes, help their single parents with younger siblings, take responsibility etc.

I arguably was a better person then than I'm now. (And it's life experience which has made me a bit "nastier").

Many countries are the same. My son was born in Italy but needed to stay x years to become a citizen, and even if he did he would still be seen as British first and foremost.

The only difference is none of the other countries have tested their law in this way.

NotThatSoph

Many countries are the same. My son was born in Italy but needed to stay x years to become a citizen, and even if he did he would still be seen as British first and foremost.

The only difference is none of the other countries have tested their law in this way.
Begum was a British citizen, though, and not even a dual national. This talk about how citizenship is or should be decided is interesting as a general topic, but it's not really relevant to this specific case. She was a British citizen, now she's stateless.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think the grooming aspect is being seen for what it is, a cynical attempt by her legal team to curry favour.
What term do you prefer to use when a 15 year old is persuaded away from her home and family before quickly finding themselves married and pregnant?

Is there another term for it? Can a 15 year old consent?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The Bangladeshi authorities said very early on that they would not be even considering granting her citizenship of their country. She didn't apply for it before all of her exploits with ISIS and that opportunity has now gone for good. She doesn't get automatic Bangladeshi citizenship just by asking for it, she originally had the right to apply for it and that right no longer exists.

I've always felt in this case that the UK government has been underhanded on this matter. Taking away citizenship because someone could theoretically become a citizen of some other country is wrong.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I'm not her biggest fan (I never bought any of her merch and haven't listened to her latest album) but it's clear she does have quite a cult following on here and is probably ahead of Corden in the opinion polls.
You joke, but the right wing press is repeatedly pushing the line that the left is 'sympathetic to her cause'. Believing she's a horrible individual that should be in a British jail, rather than cheering the government dumping its problem citizens on the rest of the world, is hardly 'feeling sorry for her'. It's so deliberately disingenuous but people en masse are too thick to recognise the difference.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The Bangladeshi authorities said very early on that they would not be even considering granting her citizenship of their country. She didn't apply for it before all of her exploits with ISIS and that opportunity has now gone for good. She doesn't get automatic Bangladeshi citizenship just by asking for it, she originally had the right to apply for it and that right no longer exists.

I've always felt in this case that the UK government has been underhanded on this matter. Taking away citizenship because someone could theoretically become a citizen of some other country is wrong.
There's a tinge of classism / colonialism with the whole Bangladesh thing as well.

Would the UK make her stateless if her dad was a US citizen and in the USA, or European etc?

What term do you prefer to use when a 15 year old is persuaded away from her home and family before quickly finding themselves married and pregnant?

Is there another term for it? Can a 15 year old consent?
Luckily the getting married and pregnant part isn't the issue. A 15 year old can't consent to that. They can however consent to committing a crime and going to Syria to join IS is exactly that.

youngrell

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't she go to Syria of her own free will? If so, why do people keep saying the UK dumped her in a camp in the desert and so forth? She's just been told she can't come back hasn't she?

I'm not saying that I agree with that decision, by the way, I just think it's a bit dishonest to keep pedalling the line that she has been deported or something.

Jippy

Staff
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't she go to Syria of her own free will? If so, why do people keep saying the UK dumped her in a camp in the desert and so forth? She's just been told she can't come back hasn't she?

I'm not saying that I agree with that decision, by the way, I just think it's a bit dishonest to keep pedalling the line that she has been deported or something.
No-one is saying that. The decision was not letting her back in rather than kicking her out.

slyadams

Because by removing her ability to return means she has to stay there. So 'abandoned' is more accurate than 'dumped'. Either way it's an immoral and despicable decision.

Jippy

Staff
It's been said a handful of times in the last 2 pages. Even one of your own posts mentions dumping our problems on other countries.
Ah, ok. If that wasn't clear, I meant we're forcing other countries to deal with our problem citizens by not taking them back and putting them through our justice system.
Maybe abdicating our responsibilities would've been a better phrase than dumping them on others.

youngrell

Because by removing her ability to return means she has to stay there. So 'abandoned' is more accurate than 'dumped'. Either way it's an immoral and despicable decision.
Yes of course the decision is wrong, I'm not arguing that. Just feel there's no need to add in the 'dumped' language along with the bad decision.

Probably just being pedantic. The recent trend of repeating untruths until they become accepted truths has scarred me.

youngrell

Ah, ok. If that wasn't clear, I meant we're forcing other countries to deal with our problem citizens by not taking them back and putting them through our justice system.
Maybe abdicating our responsibilities would've been a better phrase than dumping them on others.
Yes, fair enough. See my above post about me being a pedant! :)

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm a Muslim who has lived in Canada and sc*m like her don't deserve to be anywhere near foreign land where she will just contribute to the negative sterotypes about us. Regular Muslims have to live under the shadow of idiots like her and with the risk of losing our own sense of belonging in that country.

If she cares so much about the baby, then the UK can happily take the baby from her and have it under the care of another Muslim family in the UK.
I posted this three years back when the initial decision was made and am frankly quite embarrassed by it.

While I still reserve anger for how she choose to join ISIS, I still think it's racist the way that she is having her citizenship revoked when there are worse criminals who would not just because their parents were born in the UK. It's creating a two tier class of citizens, which is blatantly going to impact people of color, essentially perpetuating the rhetoric that people from families who immigrated are not as English as the others.

And then I'm sure these same government officials who made these laws will say they will stand up to racism, when this law is racist in itself.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I posted this three years back when the initial decision was made and am frankly quite embarrassed by it.

While I still reserve anger for how she choose to join ISIS, I still think it's racist the way that she is having her citizenship revoked when there are worse criminals who would not just because their parents were born in the UK. It's creating a two tier class of citizens, which is blatantly going to impact people of color, essentially perpetuating the rhetoric that people from families who immigrated are not as English as the others.

And then I'm sure these same government officials who made these laws will say they will stand up to racism, when this law is racist in itself.
Good on you - nice to see people who are able to grow from their previous opinions (and I'm not saying your previous opinion was wrong either [apart from the baby bit]).

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale

It is the UK’s problem I believe but it isn’t about race/colour.

Jihadi Jack says hello

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/18/jack-letts-stripped-british-citizenship-isis-canada

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Even with the grooming angle, I had no sympathy with Begum on this but then thought about the grooming gangs and how in that story it was white girls get groomed by brown guys then the brown guys are terrible because they took advantage of white girl's innocence. But then when a brown girl gets groomed she's evil and she knew what she was doing.

Even when it comes to white girls getting grooming by far right terrorists:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...terror-charges-is-wake-up-call-about-grooming

Again, very different angle to her story, being more sympathetic, because of her skin color and religion.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Even with the grooming angle, I had no sympathy with Begum on this but then thought about the grooming gangs and how in that story it was white girls get groomed by brown guys then the brown guys are terrible because they took advantage of white girl's innocence. But then when a brown girl gets groomed she's evil and she knew what she was doing.

Even when it comes to white girls getting grooming by far right terrorists:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...terror-charges-is-wake-up-call-about-grooming

Again, very different angle to her story, being more sympathetic, because of her skin color and religion.
This is false equivalency to draw parallels between these cases. Especially the ones where girls were groomed to be raped and not participate in any illegal activity.
I think Begum should be allowed to come back to UK and face terror charges that Govt can try her for. But that is on the principle of Govt not having the powers to strip citizenships from general populace for any reason. Her culpability being void due to any possible grooming is a different issue. As late as 2019, she has gone on record and failed to fully show remorse for her previous actions or condemn extremists group linked to ISIS. Also in any case, despite being groomed if you take any illegal action as an adult that should have legal repercussions anyhow.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

Yes to this.

If I had joined ISIS and killed and tortured numerous people, and behaved in the most despicable ways imaginable, I would not have my citizenship removed because my parents and grandparents were British.

We are punishing people based on where their family is from, rather than what they have done.

And this is the same government who opposes the UK apologising for colonial wrongs because those of us alive now should not be held responsible for things that we didn't do. Consistency much?

Fluctuation0161

It is the UK’s problem I believe but it isn’t about race/colour.

Jihadi Jack says hello

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/18/jack-letts-stripped-british-citizenship-isis-canada
Maybe you are right.

it is only one example and also slightly different though, because he already had dual citizenship setup for both Canada and the UK before his offences.

The post above by @hasanejaz88 makes a good point.

Frosty

Maybe you are right.

it is Slslightly different though, because he already had dual citizenship setup for both Canada and the UK before his offences.
I think you are correct. The whole deprivation of citizenship process is structurally deeply problematic. It may not be overtly based on race as it applies to people who could get a citizenship elsewhere, but that in practice means it disproportionately (and unjustifiably) is used against Britons of colour. You get punished not for what you do, but for where your parents were born.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
You can probably check his Canadian passport if you want to know, which makes these two cases fundamentally different.
The cases are (a bit) different, but the poster wrote/implied that she had her citizenship revoked because of race, and that a white person wouldn't have had the same. Jack had his revoked, just like Shamima. I guess he's lucky he got his Canadian passport. I guess it's tough shit for Shamima she didn't. She's been lucky getting all her lawyers and appeals paid for by whoever, so you win some, you lose some. Feck her.

Last edited:

marktan

Yes to this.

If I had joined ISIS and killed and tortured numerous people, and behaved in the most despicable ways imaginable, I would not have my citizenship removed because my parents and grandparents were British.

We are punishing people based on where their family is from, rather than what they have done.

And this is the same government who opposes the UK apologising for colonial wrongs because those of us alive now should not be held responsible for things that we didn't do. Consistency much?
It's a bit of a joke as well because she doesn't even have Bangladeshi citizenship nor will Bangladesh ever grant it to her.

I'm of the same background, from the east end, and though most of us aren't likely to go join groups like Isis, the possibility now exists that we could be made stateless because the precedent exists. And that'll come down to the whims of Conservative politicians and judges like Justice Jay who by many accounts is a piece of work.

The topic is a deep one for me personally because when I was young I was also naive and quite religious, which in my late teens and early 20s I grew out of and am no longer religious at all. I remember when Islamic state first sprung up there was quite a bit of support from the general Islamic community, due to the idea of a caliphate being formed which a lot of Muslims longed for. This was pre the atrocities being known, and so for me it's not hard to see how young girl could be lured into that idea. Indeed at the time a lot of young doctors went off to join.

In the end it's all a bit of a mess and just sad.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
You joke, but the right wing press is repeatedly pushing the line that the left is 'sympathetic to her cause'. Believing she's a horrible individual that should be in a British jail, rather than cheering the government dumping its problem citizens on the rest of the world, is hardly 'feeling sorry for her'. It's so deliberately disingenuous but people en masse are too thick to recognise the difference.
You only need to go through this thread to see that there are people (who just so happen to be left leaning) that believe she's a naive victim who was groomed and trafficked into servitude as a child. It's actually deliberately disingenuous of you to not acknowledge it, regardless of your opinion on those views.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
You only need to go through this thread to see that there are people (who just so happen to be left leaning) that believe she's a naive victim who was groomed and trafficked into servitude as a child. It's actually deliberately disingenuous of you to not acknowledge it, regardless of your opinion on those views.
A person can be a victim and then go on to do horrible things. No one is suggesting leaving her off the hook just because she probably started as a victim.

Jippy

Staff
I'm not ignoring it, but I don't know how much weight to place on the fact she was groomed as a child in this instance. I don't have sufficient knowledge of the law to understand the boundaries of criminal culpability, age and the role of outside of influencers, ie those grooming, and the fact she was clearly committing offences a few years into adulthood.
Plus the age of criminal responsibility is much lower than that of consent I understand, eg the Bulger killers being found guilty, which adds a further layer of confusion to me as a layman.

I don't think anyone in the thread is dismissing her actions, saying you can't blame her because she was groomed as a child. It is a factor though, albeit how much probably of one most people here have no idea, I certainly don't, and very few would surely argue against her deserving punishment- it should be in a British jail in my view, not through exclusion from the country.

Jericholyte2

How else would you describe it?

- 15yr old groomed whilst in UK to be an ISIS bride.
- Convinced by her groomers to travel to Syria where the consent laws are different so she could marry
- Is specifically helped to get to Syria by an agent of Canadian intelligence trying to embed with the group, and allegedly known about by the British government.

Remove the word ISIS from the topic and the sentiment is very different.

It’s not like anyone’s suggesting she comes back, carries on like nothing happened. She’s likely be the most surveilled person in the country. But could you imagine the value she’d have giving talks about her story to school kids and warning about radicalisation.

All that the current sentiment does is isolate her and, by extension, sympathisers who might be more susceptible to radicalisation.

Don't Kill Bill

I'm not ignoring it, but I don't know how much weight to place on the fact she was groomed as a child in this instance. I don't have sufficient knowledge of the law to understand the boundaries of criminal culpability, age and the role of outside of influencers, ie those grooming, and the fact she was clearly committing offences a few years into adulthood.
Plus the age of criminal responsibility is much lower than that of consent I understand, eg the Bulger killers being found guilty, which adds a further layer of confusion to me as a layman.

I don't think anyone in the thread is dismissing her actions, saying you can't blame her because she was groomed as a child. It is a factor though, albeit how much probably of one most people here have no idea, I certainly don't, and very few would surely argue against her deserving punishment- it should be in a British jail in my view, not through exclusion from the country.
The cynic in me thinks she won't be convicted due to jurisdictional issues or some such wheeze, which her legal team have all lined up ready if they can just get her back into the UK.

Then the compensation claim and the book deal and everyone will forget what an absolute disgrace of a human being she is.

The judgments have made clear that the age of consent doesn't apply to her travels to Syria and IS involvement. Its a factor but its not black and white as it would be with sex and marriage.

Frosty

The cynic in me thinks she won't be convicted due to jurisdictional issues or some such wheeze, which her legal team have all lined up ready if they can just get her back into the UK.

Then the compensation claim and the book deal and everyone will forget what an absolute disgrace of a human being she is.
Well there are plenty of non criminal measures on the books that could be used to ensure surveillance and monitoring. And we have laws that would prevent her publishing a book or making money (which we used against Soviet defectors).

It just strikes me as a bit of a mess when the UK has passed a law providing immunity to covert intelligence sources, as well as laws giving intelligence agents the right to kill, and the UKG is publicly worrying about not being able to prosecute ISIS recruits who return home.

Frosty

The judgments have made clear that the age of consent doesn't apply to her travels to Syria and IS involvement. Its a factor but its not black and white as it would be with sex and marriage.
No but a credible case was found for sex trafficking which usually would usually lead to a presumption of no consent given her age under English law. But that's a moot point as SIAC basically said the Home Secretary's determination of what national security is can override everything, including allegations of bias and failing to consider relevant factors.