Spurs officially departed tonight

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They fall short where it matters? They didn't fall short in either game versus Real or in the first leg against Juve or against Dortmund (who are still a good team).

Ultimatelt they fell short yesterday but let's not compare this spurs outfit to the one under Harry Redknapp and kid ourselves that they're just the same.
Dortmund are nothing special.
They had one good season in the CL in the last 20 years yet their is a bizarre overrating of them.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
They fall short where it matters? They didn't fall short in either game versus Real or in the first leg against Juve or against Dortmund (who are still a good team).

Ultimatelt they fell short yesterday but let's not compare this spurs outfit to the one under Harry Redknapp and kid ourselves that they're just the same.
In Europe how are they not the same? Both were scuppered by inexperience

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Agreed.

Not even ashamed to say that their failure in the Crystanbul season was one of the happiest football moments of my life.

Schandenfreude is a terrific emotion.

:lol:

Edit: I specifically remember my missus going bananas because I made too much noise when it went 3-3.
:keano:

No shame either .

I have rewatched the game against Chelsea multiple times.

Remember 'dare to dream' and all that other nonsense.

That is up there with by favourite football memories.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think Juve mostly got a bit lucky with the goals then hung on well. We can talk about naivety all we like but I am pretty sure we have been knocked out of Europe numerous times in much worse circumstances than that, under SAF and with loads of experience on the pitch. I do think Poch was a tiny bit slow to adapt to Juve's changes but it did all happen pretty quickly.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Dortmund couldn’t even beat a team from Cyprus in the CL this season. They’re not a good team at this level.

NoLogo

Bottleham is back. Juve has a comeback in good old fashioned Italian style. Great stuff.

Dortmund couldn’t even beat a team from Cyprus in the CL this season. They’re not a good team at this level.
At the current time they need to fight for a CL place and are hardly a convincing team anymore, I think they have a pretty lengthy rebuild ahead of them if they want to get back to their level from 2 or 3 years ago.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Really? It wasn’t nice to support City then, but it’s by far the less of those two particular evils.

The Chelsea and Crystal Palace games at the end of that season were some of my favourite games of football since Fergie left (I had the added bonus of watching them with very good friends that support Liverpool!).
You lucky bastard.

I can imagine how unbearable that would have been had they actually won those games.

Nick7

So, they fell short when it mattered. I also did not say they were the same, I said they were in this position (or a better position) then and failed to kick on.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In Europe how are they not the same? Both were scuppered by inexperience
One was comfortably outplayed in most their fixtures against big teams and the other was not. Game management was generally spot on for Spurs for all fixtures bar one (yesterday) and even then it could have really gone either way.

Granted. But this spurs side did well enough against Real and Juve over 180 mins each to show they can pretty much match them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So, they fell short when it mattered. I also did not say they were the same, I said they were in this position (or a better position) then and failed to kick on.
It mattered against Real in both games and they didn't fall short.

It's not as binary as "Played Juve. Lost. Fell short. Nearly team". In that case every single side barring the Champions are a nearly team and a bunch of chokers for that campaign. I'm unsure why the case of underdogs like Spurs is any different

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I am absolutely disgusted by the posts here since the game ended. You are a god damn disgrace to the forum. Grow up and learn to see football further from some "Old" beef. Spurs are very exciting team to watch and it's very unfair that they were knocked out by the experienced side, they didn't bottle anything.. They outplayed Juventus in both games, just were very unfortunate for a short time.
Go join a Spurs forum then.... sure they'll be saying the same thing as you and you'll be made up.

And if you're disgusted by the posts in this thread, don't go near the Liverpool ones .... you'll have a coronary.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Thing is what a lot of you don't see in your arrogance is you believe that United fans should be above all that being fans stuff. United fans don't bottle anything. There was no chickening out of schadenfreude or nervous shrugs or whatever, because you can "Laugh" about it. They played their gameplay and continued to press Juventus in tight situations. Juventus had some luck that Spurs weren't lethal at some Son's finishing. And somehow they managed to just barely get in front of a shot or pass, not by their extreme defensive work, but they did just enough to make us have a good laugh.

I also have no idea who is Glaston? Or what it is.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
One was comfortably outplayed in most their fixtures against big teams and the other was not. Game management was generally spot on for Spurs for all fixtures bar one (yesterday) and even then it could have really gone either way.

Granted. But this spurs side did well enough against Real and Juve over 180 mins each to show they can pretty much match them.
You seem to be missing the point, time and time again, When the pressure really was on - Specifically after Juventus scored the first goal, they completely went to pieces and their inexperience showed.

Yes, they beat Real Madrid, in a group game when both teams still went through, but if you think that means they'd beat Real Madrid in the knockout phase, I think you're mistaken.

There is an inexperience at Spurs and an inability to win things that is quite comparable to the England National Team. The team, Tottenham Hotspur, are serial bottlers. They're seen as this great team who plays the best football in the league and are always 'going to be close next year'.

They're not among Europe's elite and until they win big trophies, they won't be. They've played well in some matches. But when it really, really mattered... They lost, again.

Last edited:

ArjenIsM3

Spurs definitely were more enjoyable to watch than Juve were in both games but they simply failed to score. Juve were more mature and more clinical, simple as that. Playing football that is more pleasing to the eye doesn't make you the better team.

One was comfortably outplayed in most their fixtures against big teams and the other was not. Game management was generally spot on for Spurs for all fixtures bar one (yesterday) and even then it could have really gone either way......
IRC The last time Harry's side was in the champions league its only Real Madrid who took them apart. I remember them dismantling Inter home and away. In fact their group campaign was superior to this current side in its two seasons at that level.
And they Real side they lost to was way above this Juve side that has just used mere experience to kick them out.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
You seem to be missing the point, time and time again, When the pressure really was on - Specifically after Juventus scored the first goal, they completely went to pieces and their inexperience showed.
Not really true. Kane hits the post and is then cleared off the line. Chielleni also turned into a monster and stops what would have been a certain goal from Son's cross. Sometimes you have to just give credit where credit is due - Juve's defending was excellent in that last phase.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Yes, they beat Real Madrid, in a group game when both teams still went through, but if you think that means they'd beat Real Madrid in the knockout phase, I think you're mistaken.

There is an inexperience at Spurs and an inability to win things that is quite comparable to the England National Team. The team, Tottenham Hotspur, are serial bottlers. They're seen as this great team who plays the best football in the league and are always 'going to be close next year'.

They're not among Europe's elite and until they win big trophies, they won't be. They've played well in some matches. But when it really, really mattered... They lost, again.
I don't think Spurs fell to pieces at all. Juventus just became a lot more defensively resolute to protect their lead and they got though in the end.

Ultimately you can cop out the strength of Tottenham this year by just saying "but they haven't won a trophy" but its just a lazy way of not giving credit to their progress tbh. They proved they belong, and I just find it bizzare to say otherwise. Their experience doesn't make them favourites to win the cup but to argue they don't belong to be mixing it up with the big guys after playing the way they have isnt correct.

IRC The last time Harry's side was in the champions league its only Real Madrid who took them apart. I remember them dismantling Inter home and away. In fact their group campaign was superior to this current side in its two seasons at that level.
And they Real side they lost to was way above this Juve side that has just used mere experience to kick them out.
Inter beat Spurs 4-3. The general level of performance for spurs under Harry is massively different to Spurs under Poch.

Nick7

Not really true. Kane hits the post and is then cleared off the line. Chielleni also turned into a monster and stops what would have been a certain goal from Son's cross. Sometimes you have to just give credit where credit is due - Juve's defending was excellent in that last phase.
I'm not really one to give credit to a chance that was a full yard or so offside.

Green_Red

Surely means Kane will be moving on soon. Would love to have him here.

Inter beat Spurs 4-3. The general level of performance for spurs under Harry is massively different to Spurs under Poch.
In Europe it isn't. You seem to have forgotten how terribly you performed last season in the champions league with Pochetino in charge. Which the last Spurs didnt do with zero experience at that level

I also dont see how you can deny both times inexperience did you in. Yesterday it wasn't mere luck that Juve got the better of Spurs. It was know how acquired from experience.

NB: The lost 4-3 with 10 men. Literally bullying Inter in spite of the loss and in the return they proved too good for Inter

sewey89

I don't think Spurs fell to pieces at all. Juventus just became a lot more defensively resolute to protect their lead and they got though in the end.

Ultimately you can cop out the strength of Tottenham this year by just saying "but they haven't won a trophy" but its just a lazy way of not giving credit to their progress tbh. They proved they belong, and I just find it bizzare to say otherwise. Their experience doesn't make them favourites to win the cup but to argue they don't belong to be mixing it up with the big guys after playing the way they have isnt correct.
1) They completely fell to pieces immediately after conceding the first goal, which led to a pass straight through their defence and Dybala running unchallenged 20 yards to score the winner.
2) They've not won a trophy. It's a fact. Until they do so, they can't be classed as anything remotely successful. They've progressed, sure. But ultimately, they've gone from nearly men to nearly men who play better football
3) You said they are among Europe's elite. That's completely different to what you're now saying of 'mixing it up', i.e - Being in the champions league.

James Peril

I still to this day am appalled we never went in for Dembele when he was at Fulham. Had all the traits of a Fergie player, at a time we were desperately lacking in midfield.
No thanks, the guy has injury problems and it will only get worse as he gets older. 1455 mins this season, that's 16 full games in terms of minutes. 16/17: 23 games, 15/16: 25 games, 14/15: 13 games, 13/14: 20 games, 12/13: 26 games. Dembele often has to be rested and suddenly pops out of an important game due to injuries, lack of stability in midfield is very detrimental.

Coxy

A shame. 23 shots vs Juventus 9. But they couldn't finish.

Losing to last year's finalists is no shame. A good run as well including a win against Real.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm sorry for Tottenham.They were one of the teams that I wanted to avoid in quarters.
Champions is not easy,even being the better team.
I'd say the options of Pochettino for Madrid have decreased a lot

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
In Europe it isn't. You seem to have forgotten how terribly you performed last season in the champions league with Pochetino in charge. Which the last Spurs didnt do with zero experience at that level

I also dont see how you can deny both times inexperience did you in. Yesterday it wasn't mere luck that Juve got the better of Spurs. It was know how acquired from experience.

NB: The lost 4-3 with 10 men. Literally bullying Inter in spite of the loss and in the return they proved too good for Inter
What? Inter were 4-0 up at half time. They completely battered spurs. Bale scoring a hat trick on counter in the final 5 minutes of the game doesn't suddenly means they bullied inter. That game was as one sided as the second leg, but the roles were reversed

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
1) They completely fell to pieces immediately after conceding the first goal, which led to a pass straight through their defence and Dybala running unchallenged 20 yards to score the winner.
2) They've not won a trophy. It's a fact. Until they do so, they can't be classed as anything remotely successful. They've progressed, sure. But ultimately, they've gone from nearly men to nearly men who play better football
3) You said they are among Europe's elite. That's completely different to what you're now saying of 'mixing it up', i.e - Being in the champions league.
Don't cherry pick moments, look at the whole game. Spurs didn't fall apart, they lost by one goal and since conceding the second they didn't lose their heads or conceded more. They kept knocking on the door.

I said they belong. I didn't say they're the biggest side out there or thay they're one of the biggest. What you win in silverware is a reflection of the size of the club. What you do on the field is a reflection of where you belong at that present campaign.

This is my premise, and it looks like yours is something entirely different which is where this becomes a circular argument. By your logic winning historic silverware being necessary to belong in a European elite to win a grand trophy in 2018 must suggest the current AC Milan or Ajax belong in the European elite right now.

Ban

Don't cherry pick moments, look at the whole game. Spurs didn't fall apart, they lost by one goal and since conceding the second they didn't lose their heads or conceded more. They kept knocking on the door.

I said they belong. I didn't say they're the biggest side out there or thay they're one of the biggest. What you win in silverware is a reflection of the size of the club. What you do on the field is a reflection of where you belong at that present campaign.

This is my premise, and it looks like yours is something entirely different which is where this becomes a circular argument. By your logic winning historic silverware being necessary to belong in a European elite to win a grand trophy in 2018 must suggest the current AC Milan or Ajax belong in the European elite right now.
You really, I mean really like Spurs. Of course tropheys are important, you become a big club by winning those. In a few years nobody will remember Spurs played nicely in CL.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I am absolutely disgusted by the posts here since the game ended. You are a god damn disgrace to the forum. Grow up and learn to see football further from some "Old" beef. Spurs are very exciting team to watch and it's very unfair that they were knocked out by the experienced side, they didn't bottle anything.. They outplayed Juventus in both games, just were very unfortunate for a short time.
Christ :lol:

onemanarmy

No thanks, the guy has injury problems and it will only get worse as he gets older. 1455 mins this season, that's 16 full games in terms of minutes. 16/17: 23 games, 15/16: 25 games, 14/15: 13 games, 13/14: 20 games, 12/13: 26 games. Dembele often has to be rested and suddenly pops out of an important game due to injuries, lack of stability in midfield is very detrimental.
Really? You make it out like he's always injured.

Season injury from until Days Games missed
17/18 Bruised at the ankle Sep 19, 2017 Oct 22, 2017 33 days 7
16/17 Unknown Injury Sep 18, 2016 Oct 2, 2016 14 days 5
15/16 Ankle injury Dec 28, 2015 Jan 11, 2016 14 days 3
15/16 Foot injury Dec 14, 2015 Dec 17, 2015 3 days -
15/16 Sprained ankle Aug 31, 2015 Sep 17, 2015 17 days 2
12/13 Hip injury Oct 15, 2012 Nov 19, 2012 35 days 8
11/12 Calf Problems Jan 16, 2012 Feb 2, 2012 17 days 3
10/11 Malleolar injury Nov 18, 2010 Jan 6, 2011 49 days 8
10/11 Thigh problems Oct 18, 2010 Nov 4, 2010 17 days 2
10/11 Shinbone injury Sep 20, 2010 Oct 14, 2010 24 days 3
08/09 Mensical Damage Oct 16, 2008 Dec 25, 2008 70 days 12

He played 39 games for Spurs in 16/17, 35 in 15/16, 40 in 14/15 and this season already 32.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You really, I mean really like Spurs. Of course tropheys are important, you become a big club by winning those. In a few years nobody will remember Spurs played nicely in CL.
I agree they're not a big club though. A club size is in their trophy locker.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
I love all the talk about Juve's 'luck' almost if they weren't screwd by Marciniak about 15 minutes in when they should've had a penalty.
I believe the reason Costa didn't get the penalty because he was not smart. He took an extra step and then decided to fall down.
Had it been any spurs players they would have hit the deck immediately. Just check dives from spurs players in penalty area.

SteveTheRed

Unlucky for Spurs, I was rooting for them but they were undone by the more experienced, tactical side of the game.

Pochettino has done a great job there and they play fantastic football, but makes you appreciate the experience of managers like Mourinho, Allegri.

You could easily imagine United being in the same position at half time last night, and we would have played that 2nd half completely different. Defended, played boring football whatever you want to call it, but we would likely have gone through to the next stage.

sewey89

"Don't cherry pick moments" :lol: - The cherry picked moment was the way they completely fell apart defensively for the 2nd goal, caused by their panic at conceding the first.

I think being 'elite' does come with history too - But Elite is such a small selection, or should be, You can't have teams who go out in the last 16 being classed as elite!

rotherham_red

:keano:

No shame either .

I have rewatched the game against Chelsea multiple times.

Remember 'dare to dream' and all that other nonsense.

That is up there with by favourite football memories.
I was in the middle of writing an essay for my Masters (deadline was midnight) saw the score at approximately 8:50 and it was 3-0, thought oh well, Liverpool are gonna win... Then I checked back in 2 hours with my essay pretty much complete, and it read 3-3, couldn't believe my eyes!

Still though, it wasn't a patch on Stevie's slip, that was the most epic bit of Schadenfreude I've ever experienced, what made it better was that I watched it at a Liverpool fan's house, surrounded by his Liverpool supporting family, was a beautiful sight :keano:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm sorry for Tottenham.They were one of the teams that I wanted to avoid in quarters.
Champions is not easy,even being the better team.
I'd say the options of Pochettino for Madrid have decreased a lot
I'd have said that PSG were a better bet

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That's an ignorant statement. I assume you recall nothing about our history in the competition bar '68, '99 and '08?