g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Spurs officially departed tonight

AR87

We are struggling against the mighty Seville after splashing near a billion pounds. They spend almost nothing and play better than us. We can't laugh.
Jesus. By this logic I shouldn't have laughed at Liverpool when Gerrard slipped in 13/14 or at Crystanbul. Where would the Caf be if we couldn't and didn't laugh for years, up until this day, about those things?

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Jesus. By this logic I shouldn't have laughed at Liverpool when Gerrard slipped in 13/14 or at Crystanbul. Where would the Caf be if we couldn't and didn't laugh for years, up until this day, about those things?

Exactly, what is it with these people?

Half the fun of football is revealing in others misfortune, it’s completely harmless FFs.

I wish people would feck off with trying to force this bullshit down our throats.

We might be a bit shit, but they are even more shit, so they can feck off and spend the next week having fingers pointed at them and being called Bottleham Lolspuds.

AR87

Exactly, what is it with these people?

Half the fun of football is revealing in others misfortune, it’s completely harmless FFs.

I wish people would feck off with trying to force this bullshit down our throats
It is also exactly what people do when United lose to anybody, which is annoying for us as United supporters, but totally fine!

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
At the time I thought it was weird that people were rooting for City to win a title.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

I suppose the argument is the better team will probably beat you and then laugh harder, but I’ll always remember our old P.E. teacher Mr. Talbot’s words on this subject: ‘Laugh at the bastards any chance you get!’.

Though I would only do this for the Scousers. The Spurs obsession some fans have (apart from their own fans, of course) puzzles me immensely. I couldn’t care less about them apart from the slight annoyance at how they get a plush, Orient Express-like free ride from the press currently (this will change, but it’s still bloody annoying for now). They’re a good team, naturally (yet seriously lack squad depth), but nowhere near as good as they’re sometimes made out to be. I think there’s a duality with Arsenal’s decline that’s being exaggerated in certain parts of the media, but I’m boring myself now so I’ll stop.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

At the time I thought it was weird that people were rooting for City to win a title.
Really? It wasn’t nice to support City then, but it’s by far the less of those two particular evils.

The Chelsea and Crystal Palace games at the end of that season were some of my favourite games of football since Fergie left (I had the added bonus of watching them with very good friends that support Liverpool!).

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I suppose the argument is the better team will probably beat you and then laugh harder, but I’ll always remember our old P.E. teacher Mr. Talbot’s words on this subject: ‘Laugh at the bastards any chance you get!’.

Though I would only do this for the Scousers. The Spurs obsession some fans have (apart from their own fans, of course) puzzles me immensely. I couldn’t care less about them apart from the slight annoyance at how they get a plush, Orient Express-like free ride from the press currently (this will change, but it’s still bloody annoying for now). They’re a good team, naturally (yet seriously lack squad depth), but nowhere near as good as they’re sometimes made out to be. I think there’s a duality with Arsenal’s decline that’s being exaggerated in certain parts of the media, but I’m boring myself now so I’ll stop.
But, the obsession is weird the other way as well. Some people here seem to hate Spurs more than Pool or City.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
They really think they are a special team sometimes which annoys me so much. I feel like even Leicester after WINNING the league are more level headed then Spurs which speaks a lot!

On a more serious note, they are still a class team. People expect too much of them after they have been hyped up.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Imagine if @GlastonSpur is a Napoli fan, there wouldn't be so much hate towards Spurs on RedCafe.
Ah, I see. More a case of cause and effect than necessarily believing the media hype and old-fashioned jealousy of a team perceived to be a better one than our own.

I sometimes wonder how much is attention seeking and how much is sincere, considered thoughts with many in this world, but, when thinking about all of this in context, I still couldn’t care less about Tottenham (sorry!)...

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Can we officially delete this thread? They haven't arrived anywhere

LoneStar

Is there some unwritten law that you can't laugh at another team if they're subjectively "better"? Like feck, enjoy being dry shites but we're still going to laugh at them despite ye.
These are the posters who are happy to laugh at/ criticise United, but God forbid if someone says something about City/Spurs.

On topic, thought Spurs did well, but they should have gone through, especially after scoring the first goal. So, yes, they did bottle it. Yet another trophy less season for the mighty Spurs.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I laughed at Liverpool in the Moyes season.

Mightily so.
Agreed.

Not even ashamed to say that their failure in the Crystanbul season was one of the happiest football moments of my life.

Schandenfreude is a terrific emotion.

:lol:

Edit: I specifically remember my missus going bananas because I made too much noise when it went 3-3.

manunited1919

We are struggling against the mighty Seville after splashing near a billion pounds. They spend almost nothing and play better than us. We can't laugh.
We aren’t struggling. Mourinho has showed them a lot of respect, but we will win at Old Trafford.

manunited1919

Forget Spurs then, you think we can remain second, let alone push for the title if we do not improve in attack. Directionless may be a tad over the top, but our attack does look labored and our players need that extra second or two, or an extra touch or to before moving the ball. Surely, that has to be improved on?
We have been a team in transition until recently, while Spurs is a settled team. Big difference.

manunited1919

Wow it's Juventus vs Bottleham in the Champions League and all you observed is some random guy with his head in his hands!?!

Could be him though. :wenger:
Couldn’t help myself. As soon as I saw him I thought it must be him.

Giggs86

3 English teams in QF (hopefully us) sounds better than 5...I hate all English euro ties
Don't mind those since we've actually been doing pretty good against domestic opponents in the CL. Chelsea (08, 11), Arsenal (09).

eat_grass

There's a lot of United fans on here taking Spurs loss very personally
They're just bitter United fans: bitter that the team they've been using to negatively compare United to collapsed under the pressure; bitter that the manager they've been relentlessly praising will go another year without the silverware that's eluded him; but mostly, bitter that the footballing philosophy they've been espousing has been shown to be completely hollow ("but they player better football than us!"). I bet they refused to celebrate Matic's game-winner, and were devastated when Morata's goal was ruled off-side.

@Mods, can we get a new "Bitter Fan" banner for some of these guys?

manunited1919

They're just bitter United fans: bitter that the team they've been using to negatively compare United to collapsed under the pressure; bitter that the manager they've been relentlessly praising will go another year without the silverware that's eluded him; but mostly, bitter that the footballing philosophy they've been espousing has been shown to be completely hollow ("but they player better football than us!"). I bet they refused to celebrate Matic's game-winner, and were devastated when Morata's goal was ruled off-side.

@Mods, can we get a new "Bitter Fan" banner for some of these guys?
:lol:

So true.

Charlie Foley

Don't mind those since we've actually been doing pretty good against domestic opponents in the CL. Chelsea (08, 11), Arsenal (09).
Yeah true. It's nothing to do with success rate or lack thereof. And I love them after the fact, when we win! Just something special about the big European ties against teams we rarely play against!

VP

I don't get this trend on here to categorize everything as 'bottling'.

Two high-quality teams played a game of football: one won, the other lost. Not every defeat in football is a bottlejob.

Hawks2008

It's funny, but I think those mocking Spurs for losing should wait until we secure our spot in the quarter finals. We could just as easily 'bottle it" against Seville but people are treating it as a formality or something.

Mindhunter

Although I can't deny that I loved seeing them depart but they are the type of teams that should be doing better in the competition. Looking at it objectively, they had the initiative for almost 70% of the tie and only had to face an exit because of bad game management. They are lacking that bit of pragmatism to close out a match - what we call "playing for stumps" rather than going on the offensive.

However, the truth remains that they have scored 3 goals against a team who haven't conceded goal at all. They probably have the best defense in Europe and have given a very good account of themselves. Also, they were unlucky that the Kane header hit the woodwork instead of the back of the net. Finally, they were also unlucky to draw Juventus despite qualifying first in a very tough group (if not the toughest).

Unless they do something stupid from here like sack Pochettino at the end of the season, I can see them improve next season.

NotATroll

It's funny, but I think those mocking Spurs for losing should wait until we secure our spot in the quarter finals. We could just as easily 'bottle it" against Seville but people are treating it as a formality or something.
2-2 away result and 1-0 up after 60 minutes and going out might be classed as 'bottling.' However, it might be expected that Spurs wouldn't be as fit after the hour mark. They sat off after the hour instead of pressing and perhaps that's what Chiellini meant when he said they miss something at the end.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's harsh to say it was a bottle job but in a way Poch bottled changing up the tactics when it was clear Allegri had his number. To have that much domination and not see it through.. well it wasn't typical Spurs in that sense. This team is good enough to win big games and should have had a title or trophy at least by now and still hasn't .. that has to reflect badly on the manager.

On the plus side he is growing as a manager tactically and to even compete with Juve shows they're progressing but are they going to progress quickly enough to win something before the team disbands? For me guys like Poch and Kane, Eriksen they will all win major silverware once they leave the Spurs bubble just like Bale did. They're too talented not too.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Exactly. I have a feeling we may well go out against Seville the form we're in