The "lazy black player" stereotype

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Athletes would generally be considered stallions or studs with the donkey being the poor relation.
I know but I just find it interesting that a lot of animals don't really fit the stereotypes. Donkeys aren't clumsy, that's why we use them to transport heavy loads on difficult terrains.

Jagga7

I don't think it has anything to do with race. We're playing garbage so everyone is going slated. Matic and Fellani who both white get the most abuse.
Lukaku has been awful this year, I don't get why people think he's get criticised for being black. He's get criticised for his performances. No one cares about the colour of anyone's skin.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't think it has anything to do with race. We're playing garbage so everyone is going slated. Matic and Fellani who both white get the most abuse.
Lukaku has been awful this year, I don't get why people think he's get criticised for being black. He's get criticised for his performances. No one cares about the colour of anyone's skin.
That is not whatbis being said. Its the type of critisism players get that is in question. Lukaku wasn’t the best example but the OP has a point.

witchtrials

Being from Asia, I have never really understood why players (or for that matter anyone) can be called donkeys and other animals, but then there is a generic taboo around calling any names that belong to the ape category. So in that context, I don't really get more horrified when someone gets called gorilla as opposed to a donkey or a dog.
It's because of the actual history of racism which has involved justifying slavery and other oppression on the basis that black people are a less than fully human, closer to apes etc. If black people had historically been subject to psuedoscientific claims that they were genetically more similar to some other animal then the politics of name calling would be different.

Last edited:

redIndianDevil

usually the case with racism/ignorant stereotyping conscious or unconscious no?
Martial to me is an intelligent player but for some would be dumb if their reference point is someone like Hazard or Sane or Mane or Neymar etc and I don't think it's right to call those who call martial unintelligent as racists(I agree that there may be actual racists but not everyone who calls Martial unintelligent are racists). for what its worth I call Rashford unintelligent, does that make me racist?

Jagga7

That is not whatbis being said. Its the type of critisism players get that is in question. Lukaku wasn’t the best example but the OP has a point.
Lukaku is called unintelligent because of the lack of runs and movement, it has nothing to do with skin colour. OP is just creating a racist narrative.

RedDevil@84

It's because of the actual history of racism which has involved justifying slavery and other oppression on the basis that black people are a less than fully human, closer to apes etc. If black people had historically been subject to psuedoscientific claims that they were genetically more similar to sone other animal then the politics of name calling would be different.
Ya, I know that. But that was something I learnt much later in life.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Martial to me is an intelligent player but for some would be dumb if their reference point is someone like Hazard or Sane or Mane or Neymar etc and I don't think it's right to call those who call martial unintelligent as racists(I agree that there may be actual racists but not everyone who calls Martial unintelligent are racists). for what its worth I call Rashford unintelligent, does that make me racist?
I didn't call anyone racist. What I said has racist undertones in the categorisation of black players when criticising into 3 main categories:

Lazy
Attitude problem
Unintelligent.

It doesn't matter how much that is repeated though, people will still come with singular examples that buck the trend. How about go and look at the trend.

Deleted member 101472

Just read the original comment, pretty deplorable. The poster has been around a while and is chums with some mods so obviously won’t be banned for it.

redIndianDevil

I didn't call anyone racist. What I said has racist undertones in the categorisation of black players when criticising into 3 main categories:

Lazy
Attitude problem
Unintelligent.

It doesn't matter how much that is repeated though, people will still come with singular examples that buck the trend. How about go and look at the trend.
So black players should never be called lazy or unintelligent even if they are?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You can accuse Lukaku of being lazy but why bring the Gorilla into it?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Does anyone find him being compared to a Donkey racist?
I don't personally.

It's used freely to describe a player who's a bit cumbersome and lacking mobility. I called the likes of Ricky Lambert and a few others donkeys for their lack of pace.

Bola

I don't personally.

It's used freely to describe a player who's a bit cumbersome and lacking mobility. I called the likes of Ricky Lambert and a few others donkeys for their lack of pace.
I think Scholes use to get called a ferret due to his size, busy style of play and also possibly due to his hair and skin tone

Wider question fir the CAF - Is that racist?

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think there is a stereotype is there? Kante isn't called lazy because he's black. I do, however, think a lot of the subconscious discontent for Pogba comes from his flashiness outside of football, and the seeming desire to be in the spotlight, for e.g being photographed at celebrity awards and with celebrities in his down time.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Does anyone find him being compared to a Donkey racist?
No because it has no racist connotations historical or otherwise. As stated above it's a term applied across the board
I think Scholes use to get called a ferret due to his size, busy style of play and also possibly due to his hair and skin tone

You might be offended if you'r a ferret.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

I'd say no. There's no history of white people being referred to as a ferret. @Barca84 does have a glimmer of a point, even if he was way too hysterical in the original thread.

witchtrials

Beyond obvious that it isn't. White people in our society do not have a history of suffering oppression justified by their alleged genetic similarity to ferrets. This is the kind of example that suggests some people haven't given a moment's thought to the lived reality of racism and just see it as some kind of annoying technicality.

2 man midfield

I don't think there is a stereotype is there? Kante isn't called lazy because he's black. I do, however, think a lot of the subconscious discontent for Pogba comes from his flashiness outside of football, and the seeming desire to be in the spotlight, for e.g being photographed at celebrity awards and with celebrities in his down time.
This is the case, and white players (Beckham, Ronaldo) got this criticism too. But the difference is you tend to see it a lot more with players like Pogba, Sterling, Depay etc. Almost like they shouldn't be getting above their station. For all the criticism around Becks and Ronaldo, you still had straight blokes saying fair fecks to the handsome buggers.

Shark

@NotShark
:lol:

Thank goodness we have good people like yourself focusing on the real actual racism.
Great contribution.

I find that a lot of groups and advocates of 'anti-racism' or 'equality' are only in it for a certain group and are not looking to remove racism/ discrimination across the board

One example is the accusations of institutional racism when it comes to managerial positions, using 'under representation' stats. Yet when it comes to players in the Prem, I believe the stats show that certain ethnic groups* are 'over-represented'** with the implication that 'white'* players are under represented. Where are the calls off institutional racism, racial stereotyping and advocates of measures like the Rooney rule?

Seems discrimination can only work one way for some groups and organisations

* I hate dividing people into broad boxes base on so-called racial differences, but have to use this PC parlance to make my point

** I don't subscribe to this idea of under over over representation by ethnic group. As alluded to above, categorizing people based on skin colour (or other factor) is daft. Best person for the job in my view
This was my main point, yes. Racism of a minority does not indicate institutionalized racism across the board. It happened in the Lukaku thread, one poster makes a disgusting comment, then someone comes out and brands the entire thread racist. Why can't that one poster/person be judged without this ''black players are treated differently to white players'' claims that can't actually be backed up statistically.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Arguing with another member
I'd say no. There's no history of white people being referred to as a ferret. @Barca84 does have a glimmer of a point, even if he was way too hysterical in the original thread.
More than a glimmer pal. The thing with casual racism 2 man is that it's all over the shop. Just a few comments from that thread -

Just as the rest of his body, he's also a bit thick in the head.
Liked him much better when he had a large dong over large muscles..
This is so stupid it's sad.
Third, why does he go public with this totally stupid excuses? It makes him look even dumber.
More like Lenny Henry.
This guy just loves excuses.
lazy ass not enough effort in work rate.
It was stupid. By him.l
The fact he's still fat as shit is a giveaway.
So apart of being fat, he is also "a little bit" dumb for thinking that excuse will fly.
The most unintelligent player we have in our squad.
Imagine a silverback gorilla being unleashed onto the Anfield pitch today? He’d be a spitting image of Lukaku - running around brainless without a bloody clue what to do, .
His player performance thread is a mine of such comments also.

A lot of white lads getting very worked up in here.

Last edited:

starman

No because it has no racist connotations historical or otherwise. As stated above it's a term applied across the board
Well calling him a lazy donkey comes from the childrens story. But you seem insistent when he's called lazy it's racist

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I think it's been asked and in some way answered.

Animal similes are widespread throughout literature. Shakespeare;Tamora is called a 'heinous Tiger' in Titus Andronicus. Comparisons which do the animal a disservice if you ask me.

I think we've just become lazy and resort to cliche rather than racist stereotype. I think the perception is still there among certain coaches and even nationalities that black players are physically able but lack intellect. So we resort to poor descriptions based on colour, 'he's a black tank,' a black Messi,' 'black panther' was used to describe Eusebio even though he was a gifted striker in more departments as well as physical.

Didn't it used to be the case in the NFL, where the QB was always white and the runners black? It changed pretty rapidly though.
We have a load of work to do still

2 man midfield

More than a glimmer pal. The thing with casual racism 2 man is that it's all over the shop. Just a few comments from that thread -

Hmm. I'd actually argue only 3 of those are racist, but I take your point about the casual racism.

Bola

More than a glimmer pal. The thing with casual racism 2 man is that it's all over the shop.

How do you know they are 'white lads'? what analysis or assumptions did you make to arrive at that conclusion?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You can accuse Lukaku of being lazy but why bring the Gorilla into it?
If a white player (say Matic) was called a gorilla, would that also create this furor? Now I don't know what the actual views of the guy who called him a gorilla are regarding to racism, but it could also be possible that he called him a gorilla because of his performances rather in his skin color. A comment made in anger rarely considers the social history of what he/she is saying.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Well calling him a lazy donkey comes from the childrens story. But you seem insistent when he's called lazy it's racist
I've asked the question as black people have historically been accused of laziness by white people.