Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Didnt think he was half as bad as people are making out. Obviously not his best game, but it shouldnt have been a penalty for me and he got up and down the pitch pretty well.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I would like to see him in midfield over the last few games of the season, positionally he's very lax at right back and his instinct for the ball gets him through games.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Didn't he give away another dangerous free kick after the penalty? That may have been why he was subbed.

Not a terrible game at all but he did look more nervy than he has done previously. It was a big call to play him.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Bad mistake for Lukaku's early chance, quite unlucky with the penalty. Can see why the ref gave it given he didn't have the benefit of the replay mind.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Seemed nervy. Shat himself for Lukaku's chance, but then again so did Carrick and he's a senior player. Think he was unlucky with the penalty.

Understandable though. Hopefully, he'll have many more occasions like this with us

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Van Gaal doesn't think it's a penalty so I doubt there'll be any retribution. He's not a RB so his performance can be excused.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Incredibly confident for his age and it was right decision to execute that tackle. If it was Vidic, he would be praised for not feckin around with the opponent.

Ref was trying hard to push Everton to the final and failed.

Sylar

I hate this whole "it wasnt a penalty, but he shouldnt tackle like that". He won the ball, I thought it was a good tackle on first view. Only excuse I give to the ref is if his view shows something different (didnt see that yet).

What really shouldnt happen is the ref giving decisions like that however.

Regardless, he did look nervy, especially giving a rash foul away on the edge of our box seconds after DDG saved the penalty. I understand why he had to be subbed. Hope he bounces back stronger from it and we see him soon.

ArmchairCritic

Incredibly confident for his age and it was right decision to execute that tackle. If it was Vidic, he would be praised for not feckin around with the opponent.

Ref was trying hard to push Everton to the final and failed.
Speaking of Vidic he gave away a penalty in the exact same spot more or less against Villa in a League Cup final, and it was a far worse tackle.

NinjaFletch

I hate this whole "it wasnt a penalty, but he shouldnt tackle like that". He won the ball, I thought it was a good tackle on first view. Only excuse I give to the ref is if his view shows something different (didnt see that yet).
I don't agree.

As soon as you tackle like that from the wrong side and wrapping your legs round a player you give away a foul 9 times out of 10. Of course, in this instance he did get the ball (I don't think thats enough to save him but I cba to argue about that on a Saturday night), but its a low percentage tackle.

Add to the fact that he didn't need to throw himself to the ground and its at best rash and at worst downright stupid.

Sylar

Yeah I get what youre saying @NinjaFletch but its a sad sign for the game if thats given as a penalty (TBH, ive seen TFM make a few challenges like that and more often than not he comes away with the ball).

ArmchairCritic

Also correct me if I am wrong but it is not near impossible for Mensah to make that tackle without bringing his left leg around. It's not the normal side-on sliding tackle because he's had to adjust halfway and bring his right leg around so he can get to the ball and to maintain balance he has to bring his left leg around. I might be wrong however because it's been a fair old while since I've made a sliding tackle. A scissors tackle to me infers motion of both legs inwards at the same time, not bringing the left around after to maintain balance.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Speaking of Vidic he gave away a penalty in the exact same spot more or less against Villa in a League Cup final, and it was a far worse tackle.
Good memory and from what I remember Vidic had quite a difficult time in his first months here.

Time will tell more but so far very calm about Mensah's future here. Few more seasons of PL experience and he should execute that kind of tackles with eyes closed.

ArmchairCritic

Good memory and from what I remember Vidic had quite a difficult time in his first months here.

Time will tell more but so far very calm about Mensah's future here. Few more seasons of PL experience and he should execute that kind of tackles with eyes closed.
I'm completely fine with that, my only worry is him going the Jones route and injuring himself putting one on someone. He's exactly the type of player we need and I don't really want to temper his natural game, he just needs to learn to pick and choose his moments better. This is what the fourth time I've seen him diving in whilst in the box (vs. Igahlo at OT, vs. Lukaku at OT, vs. Walker at WHL) and that's not to say some of them weren't necessary but if you keep doing it one day the referee will feck you over.

His raw attributes are very intriguing though and I've not really seen enough of him at youth level but I think we definitely need to iron out a few kinks positionally with the lad. I think everyone is really enjoying having a player who not only enjoys getting stuck in but manages more often than to win the ball too, watching our midfield wave Stones through time and again in the 2nd half really brings into focus how soft we are as a team and I'm starting to see a space for Mensah as a DM in the team.

ManUArfa

LVG relishes developing young players.

Rooney had already tried to tell TFM to take it easy in this high pressure situation.

After the pen I think LVG brought him off for his own good as well as the team's. It would have been far worse for both if he'd carried on and really done something costly in his inexperience. This will no doubt have been explained to the lad afterwards.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I'm completely fine with that, my only worry is him going the Jones route and injuring himself putting one on someone. He's exactly the type of player we need and I don't really want to temper his natural game, he just needs to learn to pick and choose his moments better. This is what the fourth time I've seen him diving in whilst in the box (vs. Igahlo at OT, vs. Lukaku at OT, vs. Walker at WHL) and that's not to say some of them weren't necessary but if you keep doing it one day the referee will feck you over.

His raw attributes are very intriguing though and I've not really seen enough of him at youth level but I think we definitely need to iron out a few kinks positionally with the lad. I think everyone is really enjoying having a player who not only enjoys getting stuck in but manages more often than to win the ball too, watching our midfield wave Stones through time and again in the 2nd half really brings into focus how soft we are as a team and I'm starting to see a space for Mensah as a DM in the team.
Indeed, there's always that fear of decline through physical pressure and injuries but he kinda looks more like Smalling than Jones at the moment. Our training department can't screw that one up and there's a chance of having a proper defender or like you suggest, one of the strongest DM in the Premier League.

Success of bringing steel to midfield this summer may show a lot where he may play in the future.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
TFM didn't have a bad game at all today.He was unlucky for the penalty but he also did a lot of good things I was surprised when he was subbed.

ChaddyP

Lvg will play him next game im sure. Did the same with mcnair when he shat himself in the southampton game last season

Shimo

After the peno, was screaming at the TV for LVG to take TFM off - not because of the penalty but, I thought he was having an absolute nightmare prior. There was one time he did brilliantly to nip in front take the ball forward and instead of a simple pass, ran into 3 players and there were a few other similar moments. It will be a big learning moment for him and a character test for when he gets his next chance - hopefully the experience players will not let him get down too much.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

RRCE

Not his strongest game. I think the occasion got to him just a bit - almost as if he was trying too hard to impress. He wasn't dire, but taking him off was the right move in my opinion. Then again, I wouldn't have started him to begin with. It was a definite and clumsy penalty, in my opinion. While De Gea made a great save, it still turned the momentum in Everton's direction. He's a very bright talent and is one for the future (maybe the near future), but today was one he'll need to learn from.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Had a good game till ref started punishing him for being a youngster and daring to play football. The decisions that were going against him rattled him more than the occasion.
I doubt some of them calls would have been made against other senior players.
Thought the manager made the right call by taking him off the firing line.

Perrick Dubois

Feel for him. But in that situation with the referee on the reverse side of that challenge he can only see the scissors motion and give it. Snap judgement and you can't rip him for it but he payed for that little hesitation lunge where he thought he was going to get the ball. He was right to pull out but the price was coming through in a full scissor motion.

I'm not going to say it is a stone waller but from where the ref is he only see's that scissor part and blows the whistle. Not much the ref can do, TFM will learn to go ball and all and welly the ball away in one motion which will eliminate an attackers room to dive and milk a FK/pen.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It was one of those true 50/50 things. I have no problem with the referee giving a penalty there, but likewise I'd have had no problem with him not giving the penalty. The only thing we can ask for is consistency, where if we'd had the same thing happen in the other box the ref better bloody make the same decision. I remember a similar situation happening a month or so ago, where the ref gave a big 50/50 decision to the other team, but when we had pretty much the same thing happen down the other end later that match he refused to give us the same decision. That pissed me (and everyone else) off. But as long as they are consistent, it's fine.

After giving away the penalty it was important to see how TFM reacted. If he'd went on without it effecting him, he should not be subbed. But almost straight away he gave a stupid free kick away in a dangerous position, and it looked like it had got to him. As such it was a good decision by LVG to sub him.

Otherwise, he did some very nice things during the match, but also struggled a bit at times.

bucky

Hopefully he responds well to the substitution and his mistake. He needs to stay on his feet. He's quick enough, so there's really no need to make tackles like that as often as he does.

I wonder if he was told to keep it simple with his passing, because he seemed to have no confidence. Dribbling and going forward were the opposite.

tom33

I think he played reasonably well today considering his age and the occasion. His decision-making needs to improve, both in terms of diving into challenges and getting dragged out of position, but that will come with time and experience.

As an aside, I think the penalty was very harsh. It was clear to me even without replays that he got the ball. It should have been clear from the referee's angle as well. 9 times out of 10 the referee gives the defender the benefit of the doubt in that situation.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Hope to see him again this season. Wasn't a bad game yesterday, just wasn't the best. Really think he shouldn't be ignored from this point on, looks a cracking talent.

legball

It was a good tackle, nicked the ball. But, after that penalty incident, he lost his way a bit, and it was right to take him off, he's young, and will learn. It's good enough that LVG trusted him for such a big game, at Wembley.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He wasn't that bad yesterday, and I don't think that was a penalty either.

Status
Not open for further replies.