Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

binary bot
A learning curve, he's made a few of those tackles and they've come off in previous games but the situation didn't warrant that degree of desperation.

I can't complain about the penalty,.

El Zoido

I don't see that it's a penalty, he makes two tackles but his first touch of anything is to the ball. His trailing leg doesn't touch Barkley until he's already taken the ball.

dichinero

He was nervous but what do you expect when our manager keeps on throwing young players in unnatural positions. I don't see the point of the substitution cos Valencia was atrocious. I hope his confidence hasn't been hit.

thepolice123

Definitely not a pen for me if you watch it in slow-mo. But extremely difficult to tell from the ref POV. In real time it looks like he took out Barkley.

Devil may care

I thought he was unlucky on the penalty but from the refs angle I can see why he gave it. As others have said this is one of those learning curve days.

I hope its made very clear his substitution changes nothing for him. He looked distraught when he came off but there was nothing wrong with his tackle and he was playing well.

RaptorSlo

It wasn't a penalty.

It was the second leg that caught the player. Perhaps excessive force but he was already tackling from the ground at that stage, it wasn't as if he came though at pace with studs showing. That was the third phase of the tackle. He misses initially and then wins the ball, and then the actual contact with the player happens.

Harsh.

Apart from that and one silly mistimed through ball that Rooney dogged him for, he did alright overall. He'll benefit from the experience.
Well, there was that misjudgement that led to Lukaku's 1st 1v1 with keeper as well. But I reckon it was just his nerves getting to him.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Penalty or not, he'll need to develop his judgement to the point where he won't have to make a challenge quite like that. He has the physical tools to dominate the game. I'm sure we will see continued improvement in his team play, positioning, and composure. Very glad to have him in the squad.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Not a penalty, but shouldn't have dived in. He'll be back soon enough, too talented not to.

red_devil83

Pretty harsh people are rating him lowly for today's game. Didn't think it was a penalty

Mike09

You can't blame the referee from that angle of view for that penalty. Mensah got the ball but that's what happen when you dive in the box. Unlucky from him.

Baxter

Not a penalty, but shouldn't have dived in. He'll be back soon enough, too talented not to.
I don't understand that. He won the ball clean and stopped the attack. The referee should see it. It was a perfect tackle.

Norris

Nah, I think he he fouls Barkley on the way to making the tackle.
I kept thinking it wasn't a pen at all, but that last bit of footage pretty much shows how the referee saw it. And to the referee, it looked like a scissors tackle. I can see why it was given.

red_devil83

I don't understand that. He won the ball clean and stopped the attack. The referee should see it. It was a perfect tackle.
Remember when Fletcher did that greatest tackle ever against Arsenal in the CL semi and got sent off? :( Sometimes refs are just cnuts

Blatzo

Thought TFM was poor today before he gave away the peno - in fact I didn't realise it was him who gave it away.

That's not a reflection on him overall - he just had a bad game, imo. If he bounces back from this performance, more power to him

R'hllor

He will learn from it,not penalty for me but he dived so sometimes it will look like a mistake.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Gives the ref a chance to give a penalty, if he stays on his feet he pushes Barkley wider and can block the shot. He's barely 18, I'm not holding it against him, the more he plays the better.

FromTheBench

He so much reminds me of a young Jones.

Not a penalty but he should have stayed on his feet. He is too quick to need to dive in as much as he does.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
LVG said last week these kids like rashford and fosu-mensah are not ready for the first team. I wouldn't be suprised if he did drop him because of one bad game because he hasn't been consistent. Doesn't mean he won't make it here though. Just has to fight for his place again. He had been outstanding at times other then today so I'm sure LVG will cut him some slack.

FromTheBench

LVG said last week these kids like rashford and fosu-mensah are not ready for the first team. I wouldn't be suprised if he did drop him because of one bad game because he hasn't been consistent. Doesn't mean he won't make it here though. Just has to fight for his place again. He had been outstanding at times other then today so I'm sure LVG will cut him some slack.
He was dropped randomly for Valencia last 2 games anyway before Valencia was dropped randomly for him today.

Tough to make sense of what LVG does at Fullback tbh.

Rednotdead

Pretty harsh people are rating him lowly for today's game. Didn't think it was a penalty
I rated him pretty lowly, but it had nothing to do with the penalty. For me, today he spent far too much time passing the ball sideways or backwards instead of looking to be positive.

A bit more experience and he wouldn't have dived into the tackle on Barkley. He was going wide and DDG would have had the angle covered when the shot came in.

pacifictheme

I don't see that it's a penalty, he makes two tackles but his first touch of anything is to the ball. His trailing leg doesn't touch Barkley until he's already taken the ball.
His first touch was not the ball. Talk about biassed.

And either way, it was a stupid challenge to make in that scenario. Barkley was moving away from goal and at real speed the ref can't be sure what was touched first, but he can be sure it was a scissor tackle. No complaints from me.

Having said that i love timbo, looks like he could be a real talent. That tackle was just a mistake by a young player in his first season for the first team. Was right to be subbed but he still played pretty well overall.

Winrar

it wasn't a penalty, harsh decision against him but it wasn't the best judgment call for him to go diving for that tackle.

that said he's clearly very talented and he will bounce back from this.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No chance it was a penalty. He wasn't at his best but it wasn't a horror performance at all. But it did seem as though the penalty decision killed his focus.

mu4c_20le

Thought he was taken off because he was mentally affected by it. Can't have him hesitating the next time when he needs to make a challenge. Otherwise he did alright in such an occasion.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
It wasn't a penalty but it was stupid of him to go to slide tackle when he could have stayed on his feet and shielded him away from goal.

Ixion

Not really sure about the penalty, could go either way I suppose. He won the ball but had to go through the man for it. Overall he wasn't that bad though.

marlowe78

I'm not sure about the penalty, really. He did go at him twice, so that's cause for it but both players made a mash of it. Not sure if that would've been a penalty years ago, when you actually touch someone in the box. Nowadays you get a penalty for breathing on someone.

The United

His habbit of diving in needs to be cut out of him big time. That's the only concern i have with him. He will fill out others. If you look at the reply, u can see that he needed to stay on feed. The everton player was going nowhere fast.

Hopefully, big learning for him. LVG rates him of course. That's why he started him.

Brophs

The One and Only
Aside from the fact I don't think it was a foul, albeit I can see why the ref would see it as one, he won't be making that challenge in a year or two. It's a learning curve. It was a huge occasion and he just channelled the adrenaline in slightly the wrong direction. I'll say this, though: I prefer to see young players actually trying to do positive things on the pitch rather than those players who don't make any mistakes because they get overawed and hide away doing nothing for most of the game.

We need an rvn

He went down, missed the ball and the player, second slide in he scissored him and got the ball. I've been an attacker and defender and it was a penalty every time.

Every player, no matter what age, makes mistakes. Look at smalling today for their goal. Block or kick it away with the left foot that was way more favourable.

But I do think we have one great player on our hands for sure and am not at all frustrated about that tackle as he's holding his own at 18 or so as a united full back. Our own maldini

Status
Not open for further replies.