Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Do we think Tim is pretty much "done" this season now after this mistake? Particularly as LVG has said that he is happy it was a penalty. Back to more experienced players like Valencia and Darmian now?

wiz4231

Do we think Tim is pretty much "done" this season now after this mistake? Particularly as LVG has said that he is happy it was a penalty. Back to more experienced players like Valencia and Darmian now?
Of course not, it was a mistake, he's a young player, things like this will happen while he's learning but that should not be a reason to put an end to his first team chances. It's not the way any manager should look at it, however if he does that it just adds more fuel to the blazing fire that's already lit. Then again he has singled out some Januzaj, Pereira and Depay I hope the same doesn't happen to Mensah. Did martial not give a penalty away earlier in the season?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No chance it was a penalty. This supposed "first challenge" was barely worth mentioning as contact and the in the proper tackle he got the ball. This challenges should be lauded not penalized.

prath92

Did he say that? I thought he said that referee brought them back into the game so I'm guessing he meant the penalty call?

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
I haven't seen a slow replay but I felt Fosu-Mensah's outstretched leg actually impeded Barkley's movement before it hooked the ball away. I thought it was a penalty after the first replay, but again I haven't seen a clearer video since.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Mensah's too good to end his season like that. That would only damage indisputtable confidence while still being a teenager.

To be fair, let the best player in form start the remaining games but in England this hardly counts as a penalty. Ref was quite spastic during the match and after much clearer situation with a handball since we're talking about decisions.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Of course not, it was a mistake, he's a young player, things like this will happen while he's learning but that should not be a reason to put an end to his first team chances. It's not the way any manager should look at it, however if he does that it just adds more fuel to the blazing fire that's already lit. Then again he has singled out some Januzaj, Pereira and Depay I hope the same doesn't happen to Mensah. Did martial not give a penalty away earlier in the season?
Mensah's too good to end his season like that. That would only damage indisputtable confidence while still being a teenager.

To be fair, let the best player in form start the remaining games but in England this hardly counts as a penalty. Ref was quite spastic during the match and after much clearer situation with a handball since we're talking about decisions.
Just thinking about the way he was hauled off pretty much straightaway an the way that other youngsters have been dropped like a brick (CBJ, Januzaj, Pereira, etc)

Sir A1ex

For me it was one of those decisions that it's possible the ref got right technically, but only by pure luck. In real time, there's no way he's seen that slight contact on the first attempt, it just looks like a fantastic tackle at full speed. The ref's just panicked.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Just thinking about the way he was hauled off pretty much straightaway an the way that other youngsters have been dropped like a brick (CBJ, Januzaj, Pereira, etc)
Can't dispute that possibility. We'll just have to live through Van Gaal's decision whatever it be like during the last two years but this ends very soon and Mensah managed to impress on time, same with CBJ who's been both dynamic and intelligent under pressure... Adnan and Pereira is still bit unexplained situation but we'll know the truth sooner than later.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Can't dispute that possibility. We'll just have to live through Van Gaal's decision whatever it be like during the last two years but this ends very soon and Mensah managed to impress on time, same with CBJ who's been both dynamic and intelligent under pressure... Adnan and Pereira is still bit unexplained situation but we'll know the truth sooner than later.
I heard that was because they were having a private game in an U21 match, trying to win corners and then trying to score directly from the corner

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I heard that was because they were having a private game in an U21 match, trying to win corners and then trying to score directly from the corner
That's one version. Beckham, Ronaldinho or Henry were also trying to score goals from corners on more than few occasions... I guess spoiled brats, lots of them.

LvG denied a chance for two goalscoring youngsters to help their team. Thankfully we have Rashford but it's not like we're rich in any type of atacking players right now. If this is really true then some risk was involved but perhaps even Fergie would do the same... we need more information on this.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
How exactly do you know there was not sufficient force to bring him down? Please explain how you 100% know for sure?
How do you know that there was? And given that the ref cannot give a penalty unless he is sure, this is the more relevant question. Please explain how you 100% know for sure?

spenzo

Did he say that? I thought he said that referee brought them back into the game so I'm guessing he meant the penalty call?
No he definitely said that he was happy with the fact that the ref gave a penalty, he was unhappy with all the other little things in the game.

Cathy Ferguson

I'm very impressed with the surging run that he made from just outside our penalty box in the second half after some quick foot work. I don't think anyone bar Martial or Rashford can do such a thing, definately not any of our CMs, Rooney and Herrera included.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Not a penalty for me. In that position I think he had to make a tackle and the contact that brings him down, is after he's clear the ball with his trailing leg. It was such a big decision to give but I think he had to go for it, he got the ball and any contact after was non aggressive - just the result of his body shape. I don't think you can make a tackle in that position without following through - in which case what are we actually saying? We can talk of initial positioning but you have to allow players to correct a mistake, if you want to call it that. I think he did that well.

So it was a tough game for him but long term he will be better for it. The best mistakes to make are the ones that don't really cost you so i'm glad in some respects he's lucky.

Red_toad

How do you know that there was? And given that the ref cannot give a penalty unless he is sure, this is the more relevant question. Please explain how you 100% know for sure?
I'm not the one stating there was not sufficient contact. I'm not arguing against the decision. The ref gave the penalty & Mensah didn't dispute it. That points out it was a penalty.
When I try disproving something, then please feel free to ask how I know better than the people involved.

Loon

:lol:
I look at him and think he could be a Viera type MF in time.

Then again, I thought Yorkie was a shit buy.

The United

If you are going to dive in like that, you will give fouls and get cards at some point outside the box. And, if it is inside, that kind of shit will happen. Simple. No one ever has 100% accuracy on that kind of tackles. You are going to catch someone or someone will throw at you to make it look like a foul. He needs to stop doing it often. If a defender dive in that much, it means he is out of position often too which he was not even there. In that situation like on sat, all he has to do was just stay on ground, barkley was going nowhere from that position.

He really needs to learn how to approach the ball and the player with it at certain situation. I think he will be a tank and he will learn. No chance LVG would punish him for that though. He rates him high enough to start FA cup semi final. That and he would not be here next season. Only have to worry if the next manager will see him as a good potential player.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
The reason for his selection is primary that there's no u19 tournament and we (Netherlands) want to secure him as an international and keep him out of Ghana's hands. After these matches he'll still be able to choose Ghana, but it's less likely. We made the same mistake with Ziyech, who is better than all other Dutch no 10's at the moment.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
The reason for his selection is primary that there's no u19 tournament and we (Netherlands) want to secure him as an international and keep him out of Ghana's hands. After these matches he'll still be able to choose Ghana, but it's less likely. We made the same mistake with Ziyech, who is better than all other Dutch no 10's at the moment.
Netherlands are involved in the U19 Tournament in Germany.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I haven't heard him talk yet, does he have a dutch accent? hoping he starts against Norwich, could do with his physicality against Redmond.

Norris

Is that the strongest squad they can assemble ? So many unknown names in there.

Geordopolous

Where do people reckon he will play next season? I hope he starts the season at right back and locks it down as his own. The guy is such an athlete, good defender and good on the ball too. Needs a good pre season to make RB his own. Too young for cm imo

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I hope he gets plenty of game time next season, anywhere on the pitch. He looks like such a good prospect, and such an athlete, he can do a job anywhere.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Centre midfield is his future. May as well start him there now.

prath92

Not sure mou will start him there. He may get a few minutes in the cups or in unimportant games.

Though it may change if he gets minutes for Holland

Bwuk

If long term we are to play him in midfield, let's not mess him about by playing him at full back.

Jones being moved position constantly didn't help his develop at all, although injuries haven't helped him either.

Fosu-Mensah could do a similar role to what Dier has done for Spurs this year.

Geordopolous

If long term we are to play him in midfield, let's not mess him about by playing him at full back.

Jones being moved position constantly didn't help his develop at all, although injuries haven't helped him either.

Fosu-Mensah could do a similar role to what Dier has done for Spurs this year.
I think putting him cm puts way too much pressure on him for someone so young. Put him right back and give him licence to get forward and get on the ball plenty. Idk why his future can't be as a right back anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.